Is PhysX Dead? Just wondering
So far the best PhysX games i've come to play with can be counted on one hand. As far as I understand, there are none coming in the next year or at least have been made publicly. I'm curious because Mafia II was the latest PhysX game to have come out with great usage of cloth simulation, heavy particle physics and other great things like simulated wind. Anyone know of any upcoming games? It kind of sucks seeing what PhysX can do with Super Sonic Sled demo at the bridge part, with tessellation, PhysX all maxed out and watching the very high particle count dropping down the canyon. When can we expect more games that use more and heavier counts of these particles? Or is OpenCL just going to gain more and more steam?
So far the best PhysX games i've come to play with can be counted on one hand. As far as I understand, there are none coming in the next year or at least have been made publicly. I'm curious because Mafia II was the latest PhysX game to have come out with great usage of cloth simulation, heavy particle physics and other great things like simulated wind. Anyone know of any upcoming games? It kind of sucks seeing what PhysX can do with Super Sonic Sled demo at the bridge part, with tessellation, PhysX all maxed out and watching the very high particle count dropping down the canyon. When can we expect more games that use more and heavier counts of these particles? Or is OpenCL just going to gain more and more steam?

Posted 01/02/2011 07:47 AM   
[quote name='itsJono' date='02 January 2011 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1293954437' post='1169694']
[/quote]

It's not necessarily "dead", however, there is no incentive for developers to use it unless Nvidia pays them a lot of money.

[quote name='itsJono' date='02 January 2011 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1293954437' post='1169694']

It's not necessarily "dead", however, there is no incentive for developers to use it unless Nvidia pays them a lot of money.

[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='02 January 2011 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1293955905' post='1169702']
[/quote]

Bad part about Havoc going to Intel and Ageia going to NVidia is both technologies are now "cash-cows", which is why neither are very popular.

Mafia II and Metro 2033 are the only newer titles I know of that uses PhysX tech (not just use it but use it well to increase performance and visual effects), but there are a few games planned to use it, from what I've heard.
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='02 January 2011 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1293955905' post='1169702']

Bad part about Havoc going to Intel and Ageia going to NVidia is both technologies are now "cash-cows", which is why neither are very popular.

Mafia II and Metro 2033 are the only newer titles I know of that uses PhysX tech (not just use it but use it well to increase performance and visual effects), but there are a few games planned to use it, from what I've heard.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 01/02/2011 09:29 AM   
Usually those crazy russian guys at [url="http://www.physxinfo.com"]physxinfo.com[/url] keep a good eye out on recent [b]Phys[color="#006400"]X[/color][/b] developments.
Usually those crazy russian guys at physxinfo.com keep a good eye out on recent PhysX developments.

Posted 01/04/2011 03:16 AM   
I wish mafia 2 was more like GTA with side quests and the like. It would have been 10x better had it had more actual open world adventures. I will give it a replay as soon as my 570 gets here and I use my GTS250 for PhysX. I would love to see more games using it as well, give me another reason not to let my 250 collect dust.
I wish mafia 2 was more like GTA with side quests and the like. It would have been 10x better had it had more actual open world adventures. I will give it a replay as soon as my 570 gets here and I use my GTS250 for PhysX. I would love to see more games using it as well, give me another reason not to let my 250 collect dust.

I can't wait until I'm done with college. So I can cure this empty wallet syndrome, that college has caused.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Q8400 @ 2.93 Ghz

MSI P7N SLI Platinum

EVGA GTX570 800/1600/1950

4 Gigs 800MHz Crucial Ram @ 5-5-5-15

2 500gig Western Digital HDD's

750 Coolmax PSU

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

Posted 01/04/2011 03:19 AM   
Yup Tely, I agree...

I'd be good if you could keep some of the mission cars as well - namely the Hot Rod(s) - yeah, you pawn one and with a bit of tactical (pain in the backside) driving, you can keep the second one... but it vanishes if you proceed through the game since you cannot garage it... :(
Yup Tely, I agree...

I'd be good if you could keep some of the mission cars as well - namely the Hot Rod(s) - yeah, you pawn one and with a bit of tactical (pain in the backside) driving, you can keep the second one... but it vanishes if you proceed through the game since you cannot garage it... :(

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 01/04/2011 07:51 PM   
so much benchmark physX in the web......... not a game...... just benchmark, taste it, feel it, it's so nice......... i really enjoy it...... try JB bench mark...... /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
so much benchmark physX in the web......... not a game...... just benchmark, taste it, feel it, it's so nice......... i really enjoy it...... try JB bench mark...... /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

CPU/Phenom II X4 955 BE

Mobo/MSI 790FX GD 70

GPU/MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB, DDR5, 256bit

RAM/Corsair XMS3 4GB

HD/Hitachi Sata II 1TB

SC/Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer (SB0770) + Sonic Gear HS 555

PSU/Venom RX Boomslang, Hemotoxin 700W

Cooler/Thermolab Baram 2010

Case/Infinity K-50 Gaming

Monitor/Samsung Sync Master 740N, 17' LCD"

Posted 01/05/2011 03:32 PM   
ECC on Fermi, and recent HPC stuff coincides with physx quite well. The question is , is cloud computing going to fight with the next console gen, or they co-exist or what.
ECC on Fermi, and recent HPC stuff coincides with physx quite well. The question is , is cloud computing going to fight with the next console gen, or they co-exist or what.

Posted 01/05/2011 05:05 PM   
I think Physx is a natural extension of Unified Shader Architecture. Like DX10, it took a while for developers to adapt to it's capabilities.
I think Physx is a natural extension of Unified Shader Architecture. Like DX10, it took a while for developers to adapt to it's capabilities.

8130p @ 5.1Ghz : GTX 570 x2 - cuda workstation

i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz : GTX 570 - itx media pc

Posted 01/05/2011 05:30 PM   
I hope all the games really good have to use phsX, so my secondary graphics card is not a lot of idle, Nvidia must have the strength for all games using PhysX and not just shout "The Way It's Meant to Be Played"
I hope all the games really good have to use phsX, so my secondary graphics card is not a lot of idle, Nvidia must have the strength for all games using PhysX and not just shout "The Way It's Meant to Be Played"

CPU/Phenom II X4 955 BE

Mobo/MSI 790FX GD 70

GPU/MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB, DDR5, 256bit

RAM/Corsair XMS3 4GB

HD/Hitachi Sata II 1TB

SC/Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer (SB0770) + Sonic Gear HS 555

PSU/Venom RX Boomslang, Hemotoxin 700W

Cooler/Thermolab Baram 2010

Case/Infinity K-50 Gaming

Monitor/Samsung Sync Master 740N, 17' LCD"

Posted 01/06/2011 04:01 PM   
PhysX needs to use all GPU's in an SLi based system as opposed to just one /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
PhysX needs to use all GPU's in an SLi based system as opposed to just one /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning XE , Factory Overclocked 832Mhz Core, 1664Mhz Shader and 4200Mhz Memory

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650

ASUS Rampage Extreme X48 Motherboard

8GB of DDR3 @ 1333Mhz CL8

NEC 24WMGX3

Windows 7 x64 with Service Pack 1

Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty

Posted 01/07/2011 10:25 AM   
Scroll To Top