MKV stutter with GTX 480 and newer drivers
  1 / 13    
I'm getting pretty regular stuttering using a GTX 480 and playing MKV's in WMP12. This only occurs when using drivers newer than 258.96. 258.96 works flawlessly. I'm currently on 265.90 and the problem is really bad. I'm using FFDshow and ReClock. Not sure why these newer drivers cause a problem... does anyone else get this problem? By the way the problem only occurs on 24hz output, on 60hz it's fine.
I'm getting pretty regular stuttering using a GTX 480 and playing MKV's in WMP12. This only occurs when using drivers newer than 258.96. 258.96 works flawlessly. I'm currently on 265.90 and the problem is really bad. I'm using FFDshow and ReClock. Not sure why these newer drivers cause a problem... does anyone else get this problem? By the way the problem only occurs on 24hz output, on 60hz it's fine.

Posted 12/26/2010 03:29 AM   
Weird I watch mkv's all the time and never have any issue. Have you tried any other programs to use to decode the videos? I'm using something called ffdshow and it's pretty awesome. I really don't even remember how or where I got it. Well I see that's the program you're using. Have you tried using driver sweeper and cleaning the registry of your old drivers before installing new ones?
Weird I watch mkv's all the time and never have any issue. Have you tried any other programs to use to decode the videos? I'm using something called ffdshow and it's pretty awesome. I really don't even remember how or where I got it. Well I see that's the program you're using. Have you tried using driver sweeper and cleaning the registry of your old drivers before installing new ones?

I can't wait until I'm done with college. So I can cure this empty wallet syndrome, that college has caused.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Q8400 @ 2.93 Ghz

MSI P7N SLI Platinum

EVGA GTX570 800/1600/1950

4 Gigs 800MHz Crucial Ram @ 5-5-5-15

2 500gig Western Digital HDD's

750 Coolmax PSU

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

Posted 12/26/2010 03:54 AM   
[quote name='Tely' date='25 December 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1293335656' post='1166337']
Have you tried using driver sweeper and cleaning the registry of your old drivers before installing new ones?
[/quote]

Yeh I even tried installing the newer drivers on a fresh windows install. I'm using Win 7 x64.
[quote name='Tely' date='25 December 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1293335656' post='1166337']

Have you tried using driver sweeper and cleaning the registry of your old drivers before installing new ones?

Yeh I even tried installing the newer drivers on a fresh windows install. I'm using Win 7 x64.

Posted 12/26/2010 05:22 AM   
Well that sucks, stay around a bit people are off doing the family and holiday thing but I'm pretty sure someone should be able to help soon.
Well that sucks, stay around a bit people are off doing the family and holiday thing but I'm pretty sure someone should be able to help soon.

I can't wait until I'm done with college. So I can cure this empty wallet syndrome, that college has caused.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Q8400 @ 2.93 Ghz

MSI P7N SLI Platinum

EVGA GTX570 800/1600/1950

4 Gigs 800MHz Crucial Ram @ 5-5-5-15

2 500gig Western Digital HDD's

750 Coolmax PSU

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

Posted 12/26/2010 05:45 AM   
Is the sound going out via HDMI or analog through onboard sound card? Does it matter the size of the MKV file (ie 720p vs. 1080p)? If run through say Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema, what is the result?
Is the sound going out via HDMI or analog through onboard sound card? Does it matter the size of the MKV file (ie 720p vs. 1080p)? If run through say Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema, what is the result?

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 12/26/2010 08:02 AM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='26 December 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1293350526' post='1166392']
[/quote]

I just rolled back to 258.96 but I'll install the newer driver again soon and test those things. I'm using analog 7.1 output. Have only tested 1080p MKV's thus far (happens on all of them though).

Some more info about my system:

CPU: i7 920 @ 4ghz
6GB DDR3
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Samsung 46B650 LCD - DVI to HDMI @ 1080p24
1500W Silverstone PSU

Video filters: ffdshow software decoding (newest version).
Audio filters: madflac -> ffdshow -> ReClock

Playback with 258.96 is absolutely flawless. I remember trying 259.xx a while ago and it gave the same problems as the 265 drivers do now so I stuck with 258.96. The stuttering happens every 5-10 seconds or so but it's kinda random.

I do have MPC-HC installed and I probably will be able to get it working OK with the newer drivers since there's many more options for video rendering etc, but I would much prefer to use WMP12 instead as I like the fact it's simpler to use.
[quote name='ManuelG' date='26 December 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1293350526' post='1166392']

I just rolled back to 258.96 but I'll install the newer driver again soon and test those things. I'm using analog 7.1 output. Have only tested 1080p MKV's thus far (happens on all of them though).

Some more info about my system:

CPU: i7 920 @ 4ghz

6GB DDR3

Gigabyte X58A-UD7

Samsung 46B650 LCD - DVI to HDMI @ 1080p24

1500W Silverstone PSU

Video filters: ffdshow software decoding (newest version).

Audio filters: madflac -> ffdshow -> ReClock

Playback with 258.96 is absolutely flawless. I remember trying 259.xx a while ago and it gave the same problems as the 265 drivers do now so I stuck with 258.96. The stuttering happens every 5-10 seconds or so but it's kinda random.

I do have MPC-HC installed and I probably will be able to get it working OK with the newer drivers since there's many more options for video rendering etc, but I would much prefer to use WMP12 instead as I like the fact it's simpler to use.

Posted 12/26/2010 08:20 AM   
I'll take a look into this but would like to know if this happens with MPC-HC.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 12/26/2010 08:40 AM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='26 December 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1293352858' post='1166404']
[/quote]

Ok I've tested... it does the same with MPC-HC after configuring it to use the same filters (EVR, ffdshow etc). However it isn't as often as I thought, more like every 20-30 seconds, but it's still there.
[quote name='ManuelG' date='26 December 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1293352858' post='1166404']

Ok I've tested... it does the same with MPC-HC after configuring it to use the same filters (EVR, ffdshow etc). However it isn't as often as I thought, more like every 20-30 seconds, but it's still there.

Posted 12/26/2010 12:10 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='26 December 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1293352858' post='1166404']
[/quote]

It happens to me in MPC-HC but in other players, as well. No matter which rendered, splitter and decoder combination I use. It's the same with DXVA, CUDA and VDPAU under Linux. Also the CPU acceleration with ffdshow doesn't make any change.
It happens with both 720p and 1080p videos, but with every driver I tried, including the 258.96.
The sound goes through HDMI to my full HD LCDTV, but not much change if I use the sound card and monitor with 1280x1024 resolution.
I think the stutter is less noticeable on the monitor+creative but it might be because of lower display resolution.

XxDeadlyxX, this doesn't help to me, but you could try:
http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/
[quote name='ManuelG' date='26 December 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1293352858' post='1166404']

It happens to me in MPC-HC but in other players, as well. No matter which rendered, splitter and decoder combination I use. It's the same with DXVA, CUDA and VDPAU under Linux. Also the CPU acceleration with ffdshow doesn't make any change.

It happens with both 720p and 1080p videos, but with every driver I tried, including the 258.96.

The sound goes through HDMI to my full HD LCDTV, but not much change if I use the sound card and monitor with 1280x1024 resolution.

I think the stutter is less noticeable on the monitor+creative but it might be because of lower display resolution.

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

AMD Phenom II 955 BE C3 :: Gygabite GA-770TA-UD3 :: 12GB DDR3 Mushkin :: EVGA GTX460 768MB :: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer :: Chieftec CFT-650-14CS :: Win8x64

Posted 12/26/2010 04:20 PM   
[quote name='zeroberto' date='26 December 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1293380451' post='1166468']
[/quote]

Hm yer but that is only for AVC, my MKV's are all from Blu-rays so they're AVC, VC-1 and MPEG-2. All the MKV's have the stuttering problem with the newer drivers. And I don't want a solution that requires using MPC-HC.... there's nothing wrong with WMP12 as I've been using it for ages with the 258.96 drivers so I see no reason to switch if I can help it.
[quote name='zeroberto' date='26 December 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1293380451' post='1166468']

Hm yer but that is only for AVC, my MKV's are all from Blu-rays so they're AVC, VC-1 and MPEG-2. All the MKV's have the stuttering problem with the newer drivers. And I don't want a solution that requires using MPC-HC.... there's nothing wrong with WMP12 as I've been using it for ages with the 258.96 drivers so I see no reason to switch if I can help it.

Posted 12/28/2010 02:32 AM   
Hi,

Same Here, every renderers seems to stutter every minute or so. This is related to something wrong with D3D and Aero, as disabling aero or running in D3D fullscreen mode solves the problem.
Please nvidia be aware that this seems to not occur in certain conditions too : 23.97hz played at 1080p 23.97hz seems fine and 23.97hz played @50hz with reclock on EVR (not custom or EVR sync) with no external filters (MPC-HC latest) and DXVA on seems fine too.
Everything else stutters : just put ffdshow video in the loop or play an avi file and you should get heavy stutter on anything played @50hz (lets say an mkv reclocked to 25fps with reclock). This Cannot be a codec issue because if you check the renderer's stat (with ctrl+j under mpc-hc) you can see that every frame is perfectly synchronised with renderer... but everything, including the graphic itself stutters every minute or so....
I guess it is a common issue as MPC-Hc allows to disable aero, but this is a bit annoying (aren't we speking of the FASTEST graphic card in the world?) and i tried to reinstall my whole win7 64bits just because of that with no success.
Thanks in advance for what you will be able to do in the future.

Ps : sorry for my poor english, i am available for further infos or tests if needed.
Hi,

Same Here, every renderers seems to stutter every minute or so. This is related to something wrong with D3D and Aero, as disabling aero or running in D3D fullscreen mode solves the problem.

Please nvidia be aware that this seems to not occur in certain conditions too : 23.97hz played at 1080p 23.97hz seems fine and 23.97hz played @50hz with reclock on EVR (not custom or EVR sync) with no external filters (MPC-HC latest) and DXVA on seems fine too.

Everything else stutters : just put ffdshow video in the loop or play an avi file and you should get heavy stutter on anything played @50hz (lets say an mkv reclocked to 25fps with reclock). This Cannot be a codec issue because if you check the renderer's stat (with ctrl+j under mpc-hc) you can see that every frame is perfectly synchronised with renderer... but everything, including the graphic itself stutters every minute or so....

I guess it is a common issue as MPC-Hc allows to disable aero, but this is a bit annoying (aren't we speking of the FASTEST graphic card in the world?) and i tried to reinstall my whole win7 64bits just because of that with no success.

Thanks in advance for what you will be able to do in the future.

Ps : sorry for my poor english, i am available for further infos or tests if needed.

Posted 01/04/2011 04:37 PM   
Yeh is there any update on this ManuelG? Have you confirmed it as a problem? If so will it be fixed in next drivers?
Yeh is there any update on this ManuelG? Have you confirmed it as a problem? If so will it be fixed in next drivers?

Posted 01/04/2011 10:39 PM   
[quote name='XxDeadlyxX' date='04 January 2011 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1294180791' post='1171328']
[/quote]
Hi, just to Check, did you try to disable aero according to my previous post? Did it remove the stutters? If yes, so we got the very same issue wich would be confirmed for both gtx480 and 580.
[quote name='XxDeadlyxX' date='04 January 2011 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1294180791' post='1171328']

Hi, just to Check, did you try to disable aero according to my previous post? Did it remove the stutters? If yes, so we got the very same issue wich would be confirmed for both gtx480 and 580.

Posted 01/05/2011 07:43 AM   
I have almost pin pointed on where the drivers start acting up on this issue, or at least on my machine.

Starting with the 265.XX's I have been experiencing large amounts of lag/stuttering issues when I am 'multi-tasking' the GPU. Perhaps the drivers are too aggressive at assigning resources.

The last driver I have not experienced the lag/stuttering issue is with the 263.06, and is probably going to be my fall back drivers until this issue gets fixed.

I have noticed this issue by simply running something that is intensive on both CPU and GPU, say a folding@home. I run the command line client for both CPU and GPU that takes up all the 'idle' cycles. During this time, if I use something that uses GPU acceleration (firefox nightly with D3D+HW acceleration on), it lags/stutters like crazy when I try to move the window around. The same applies to high def videos played in MPC-HC. I do not believe it is solely an 'issue with MKV' because it's simply just a container. You can probably watch a high def video in avi format and get the same/similar results.

The fix? When I stop the folding clients and try to move the windows around, be it MPC-HC or firefox it is stutter free. It returns again when I re-enable the folding clients. This is again only a problem with the later drivers, and right now I am on the 266.35's and they do the same thing. On the 263's, I do not experience any of these issues.

General specs if you need them:
Win7 x64
i7 930 @ 4.2ghz+ HT, turbo disabled.
470 GTX
I have almost pin pointed on where the drivers start acting up on this issue, or at least on my machine.

Starting with the 265.XX's I have been experiencing large amounts of lag/stuttering issues when I am 'multi-tasking' the GPU. Perhaps the drivers are too aggressive at assigning resources.

The last driver I have not experienced the lag/stuttering issue is with the 263.06, and is probably going to be my fall back drivers until this issue gets fixed.

I have noticed this issue by simply running something that is intensive on both CPU and GPU, say a folding@home. I run the command line client for both CPU and GPU that takes up all the 'idle' cycles. During this time, if I use something that uses GPU acceleration (firefox nightly with D3D+HW acceleration on), it lags/stutters like crazy when I try to move the window around. The same applies to high def videos played in MPC-HC. I do not believe it is solely an 'issue with MKV' because it's simply just a container. You can probably watch a high def video in avi format and get the same/similar results.

The fix? When I stop the folding clients and try to move the windows around, be it MPC-HC or firefox it is stutter free. It returns again when I re-enable the folding clients. This is again only a problem with the later drivers, and right now I am on the 266.35's and they do the same thing. On the 263's, I do not experience any of these issues.

General specs if you need them:

Win7 x64

i7 930 @ 4.2ghz+ HT, turbo disabled.

470 GTX

Posted 01/06/2011 03:13 AM   
[quote name='Trueunborn78' date='05 January 2011 - 08:43 AM' timestamp='1294213429' post='1171599']
[/quote]

Disabling the aero didn't fix the stutters here.
[quote name='Trueunborn78' date='05 January 2011 - 08:43 AM' timestamp='1294213429' post='1171599']

Disabling the aero didn't fix the stutters here.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE C3 :: Gygabite GA-770TA-UD3 :: 12GB DDR3 Mushkin :: EVGA GTX460 768MB :: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer :: Chieftec CFT-650-14CS :: Win8x64

Posted 01/06/2011 10:08 AM   
  1 / 13    
Scroll To Top