Huge Problem GTX480 and Neverwinter Nights ... impossible to play
  1 / 34    
I would like to submit this problem directly with nVIDIA.

Neverwinter Nights is a old game, but survived for the online with a huge global community.

For this reason it is essential that nVIDIA continues to support this game also on newer cards (Fermi).

The problem is that Nvidia has now completely abandoned this game and the entire world community. Especially that part of the community who paid to get the latest cards based on Fermi.

Neverwinter Nights it is now impossible to play for all people who own a Fermi card.

The problem is explained in detail in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=178961&st=0

Because it is a driver issue I was advised to report the problem here to get a response directly from nVIDIA.

The problem is very serious and it also discusses in official BioWare forums

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/187/index/4681303/1

NWN is a game still very popular among fans of Dungeons & Dragons, is still widely played throughout the world.

For this reason I hope for a clear and positive response from nVIDIA.
I would like to submit this problem directly with nVIDIA.

Neverwinter Nights is a old game, but survived for the online with a huge global community.

For this reason it is essential that nVIDIA continues to support this game also on newer cards (Fermi).

The problem is that Nvidia has now completely abandoned this game and the entire world community. Especially that part of the community who paid to get the latest cards based on Fermi.

Neverwinter Nights it is now impossible to play for all people who own a Fermi card.

The problem is explained in detail in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=178961&st=0

Because it is a driver issue I was advised to report the problem here to get a response directly from nVIDIA.

The problem is very serious and it also discusses in official BioWare forums

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/187/index/4681303/1

NWN is a game still very popular among fans of Dungeons & Dragons, is still widely played throughout the world.

For this reason I hope for a clear and positive response from nVIDIA.

Posted 12/19/2010 10:59 PM   
I'm also hoping for a solution here as I have been using nvidia products since day one and want to continue doing so. I'm having a hard time with the lack of support of open GL 1.5 with the newer cards though. I really wish and hope something can be done. Neverwinter Nights is my favorite game and true, you don't exactly need a 400+ series nvidia card to run it but the fact that the drivers don't even support this older game is crazy in my opinion...
I'm also hoping for a solution here as I have been using nvidia products since day one and want to continue doing so. I'm having a hard time with the lack of support of open GL 1.5 with the newer cards though. I really wish and hope something can be done. Neverwinter Nights is my favorite game and true, you don't exactly need a 400+ series nvidia card to run it but the fact that the drivers don't even support this older game is crazy in my opinion...

System:

Motherboard: Asus M4N98TD EVO
CPU: AMD x6 1090T BE 3.2 Ghz (cooled by Thermaltake Spin Q)
Memory: 4 Gigs G.Skill PIS Turbulence Series: 1600 Mhz (at 6-7-6-18)
GFX: Dual EVGA Geforce GTX 470's in SLI
Boot Drive: G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60 Gb SATA (Solid State)
PSU: XFX 850 Watt (80 Plus Silver)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Case: Kingwin KT-436 Aluminum (3 Windows)
Intake: 2 Vantec Tornado 80mm Fans
Outake: 3 Masscool Blue LED 80mm Fans
Lighting: Logisys Dual Cold Cathodes - Blue

Posted 12/20/2010 06:28 AM   
I join you in the request too ... I have always used nvidia video cards, without ever having the slightest problem, and I regret that after considerable expense for a gtx 480, I can not play my favorite game along with all the my friends.
Moreover, the number of people who will have to deal with this problem will grow more and more with the spread of these vga, of which there are still a novelty, increasing discontent with the nvidia ...
I hope you give us to help,
Thanks.
I join you in the request too ... I have always used nvidia video cards, without ever having the slightest problem, and I regret that after considerable expense for a gtx 480, I can not play my favorite game along with all the my friends.

Moreover, the number of people who will have to deal with this problem will grow more and more with the spread of these vga, of which there are still a novelty, increasing discontent with the nvidia ...

I hope you give us to help,

Thanks.

Posted 12/20/2010 10:45 AM   
I usually love Nvidia cards, being a linux user their proprietary drivers have always been pretty stellar, but now an upgrade that has made it essentially impossible to play my favorite game is unacceptable. This game is old true, but considering it has recently released on GoG.com is a good example of just how popular it still is. Nvidia have really dropped the ball here, and their reluctance to comment or even just give us a straight "yes we will fix it" or "no we won't" is just plain rude.
I usually love Nvidia cards, being a linux user their proprietary drivers have always been pretty stellar, but now an upgrade that has made it essentially impossible to play my favorite game is unacceptable. This game is old true, but considering it has recently released on GoG.com is a good example of just how popular it still is. Nvidia have really dropped the ball here, and their reluctance to comment or even just give us a straight "yes we will fix it" or "no we won't" is just plain rude.

Posted 12/20/2010 04:11 PM   
Please answer nvidia
Please answer nvidia

Posted 12/20/2010 10:20 PM   
I would go here http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php and submit a report to nvidia and follow the instructions in this post PLEASE READ THIS FIRST: How to use this system
I would go here http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php and submit a report to nvidia and follow the instructions in this post PLEASE READ THIS FIRST: How to use this system

Posted 12/20/2010 10:31 PM   
[quote name='KevinK37' date='20 December 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1292884295' post='1164066']
[/quote]

Im also gonna submit this to them as an issue. I love NWN and would hate to have to go ATi because they Nvidia wont support this game.
[quote name='KevinK37' date='20 December 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1292884295' post='1164066']

Im also gonna submit this to them as an issue. I love NWN and would hate to have to go ATi because they Nvidia wont support this game.

Posted 12/27/2010 05:19 AM   
... I don't mean to be mean but... really? You're going to play a game THAT OLD on a $400 video card? Why when youc an play it just fine on a 9800GT just fine. I don't get why people upgrade for games they can play just fine on their current hardware, it makes no sense.

Researching before you upgrade is key, and this is obviously a result of people failing to do so.

Yes, I understand it's a driver issue... with a game that's so old gearing drivers towards it would be kinda ridiculous.

[quote name='Feeroper' date='26 December 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1293427140' post='1166693']
[/quote]

You're assuming ATI doesn't have the exact same support/driver issue with their newer cards, which I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
... I don't mean to be mean but... really? You're going to play a game THAT OLD on a $400 video card? Why when youc an play it just fine on a 9800GT just fine. I don't get why people upgrade for games they can play just fine on their current hardware, it makes no sense.

Researching before you upgrade is key, and this is obviously a result of people failing to do so.

Yes, I understand it's a driver issue... with a game that's so old gearing drivers towards it would be kinda ridiculous.

[quote name='Feeroper' date='26 December 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1293427140' post='1166693']

You're assuming ATI doesn't have the exact same support/driver issue with their newer cards, which I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 12/27/2010 07:09 AM   
Thank you for your feedback. A bug has been filed with our software team.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 12/27/2010 10:08 AM   
[quote name='Goddess84' date='27 December 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1293433782' post='1166726']

[/quote]

Hello,

No, I bought two GTX480 to play all new games like Dragon Age, Medal of Honor, Metro 2033 etc...

But I am also a Guild Master on a shard of Neverwinter Nights from 7 years. Should I stop playing because I have a new card? Should I create another computer just for playing NWN?

I think it's easier to fix a driver. I buy NVIDIA card from GeForce 256. I am a great believer in nVIDIA.
[quote name='Goddess84' date='27 December 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1293433782' post='1166726']

Hello,

No, I bought two GTX480 to play all new games like Dragon Age, Medal of Honor, Metro 2033 etc...

But I am also a Guild Master on a shard of Neverwinter Nights from 7 years. Should I stop playing because I have a new card? Should I create another computer just for playing NWN?

I think it's easier to fix a driver. I buy NVIDIA card from GeForce 256. I am a great believer in nVIDIA.

Posted 12/27/2010 05:03 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='27 December 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1293444506' post='1166772']
[/quote]

Thank you infinitely
[quote name='ManuelG' date='27 December 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1293444506' post='1166772']

Thank you infinitely

Posted 12/27/2010 05:04 PM   
[quote name='Goddess84' date='27 December 2010 - 02:09 AM' timestamp='1293433782' post='1166726']

[/quote]

I don't think it is just to play games as old as NWN1. I still play games that are 10 years old, like Shogun: Total War. But I play new games as well. I imagine this person is probably a similar case. I've had problems with Mass Effect 1 and Sacred 2, but no issues with Borderlands with my 460.
The idea is you really want to keep playing your older games and not forking out money on newer games so much when you love what you already have. I know older games often have issues with newer hardware and operating systems, and so the players end up doing their best to resolve them. Often we do not think a newer graphics card would cause issues. However, with FERMI many are having trouble. The one thing I keep reminding myself is that this a newer generation of card and with anything this new it has some polishing to do before it's all smooth.
On a side note, any card 8-series and above will present a random CTD on Mass Effect 1, which makes it a good example.
[quote name='Goddess84' date='27 December 2010 - 02:09 AM' timestamp='1293433782' post='1166726']

I don't think it is just to play games as old as NWN1. I still play games that are 10 years old, like Shogun: Total War. But I play new games as well. I imagine this person is probably a similar case. I've had problems with Mass Effect 1 and Sacred 2, but no issues with Borderlands with my 460.

The idea is you really want to keep playing your older games and not forking out money on newer games so much when you love what you already have. I know older games often have issues with newer hardware and operating systems, and so the players end up doing their best to resolve them. Often we do not think a newer graphics card would cause issues. However, with FERMI many are having trouble. The one thing I keep reminding myself is that this a newer generation of card and with anything this new it has some polishing to do before it's all smooth.

On a side note, any card 8-series and above will present a random CTD on Mass Effect 1, which makes it a good example.

BFG 680i chipset

Intel 3.33ghz core2duo 1333fsb Wolfdale

8gb OCZ 800mhz SLI-Ready RAM

EVGA Geforce GTX 460 768mb SC

Audio through HDMI on vid card

3 HDD (1 w/XP 32-bit Home Edition, 1 w/Vista Ultimate 64-bit, 1 w/Win7 Ultimate 64-bit)

52" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV 1080p

Logitech MX5500 Revolution Keyboard & Mouse (bluetooth)

Posted 12/27/2010 07:00 PM   
Nvidia has responded...awsome!

By the way, I don't think most of us here buy a new graphics card just to play an old game like nwn's. I don't know anyone who upgrades just to play an old game, unless their former video card was really THAT outdated and it was a necessary upgrade. I bought a new card cause I built a new computer and I wanted to play OTHER games as well.

If infact someone here has bought a 400 series card just to run nwn's then you need to stop blowing so much money on pointless upgrades...cause that's just silly... :P
Nvidia has responded...awsome!

By the way, I don't think most of us here buy a new graphics card just to play an old game like nwn's. I don't know anyone who upgrades just to play an old game, unless their former video card was really THAT outdated and it was a necessary upgrade. I bought a new card cause I built a new computer and I wanted to play OTHER games as well.

If infact someone here has bought a 400 series card just to run nwn's then you need to stop blowing so much money on pointless upgrades...cause that's just silly... :P

System:

Motherboard: Asus M4N98TD EVO
CPU: AMD x6 1090T BE 3.2 Ghz (cooled by Thermaltake Spin Q)
Memory: 4 Gigs G.Skill PIS Turbulence Series: 1600 Mhz (at 6-7-6-18)
GFX: Dual EVGA Geforce GTX 470's in SLI
Boot Drive: G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60 Gb SATA (Solid State)
PSU: XFX 850 Watt (80 Plus Silver)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Case: Kingwin KT-436 Aluminum (3 Windows)
Intake: 2 Vantec Tornado 80mm Fans
Outake: 3 Masscool Blue LED 80mm Fans
Lighting: Logisys Dual Cold Cathodes - Blue

Posted 12/27/2010 11:38 PM   
I explained that I also play in NWN. Not only to play NWN
I explained that I also play in NWN. Not only to play NWN

Posted 12/28/2010 09:41 AM   

You're assuming ATI doesn't have the exact same support/driver issue with their newer cards, which I wouldn't be surprised if they do.[/quote]

We are not assuming anything. This issue simply do not exist on AMD's latest lineup of cards.

Reading and "thinking" is the key. And your post is obviously a result of failing to do so. How you could come to these ridiculous conclusions is beyond my understanding.

And just for the record. I filed a official case at nvidia about this issue half a year ago. It still has the status "investigating". Nvidia really?

Not a single word from Nvidia since I updated my post with more information that they asked for. I'm a patient man, but this is ridiculous to say the least.

We are not assuming anything. This issue simply do not exist on AMD's latest lineup of cards.

Reading and "thinking" is the key. And your post is obviously a result of failing to do so. How you could come to these ridiculous conclusions is beyond my understanding.

And just for the record. I filed a official case at nvidia about this issue half a year ago. It still has the status "investigating". Nvidia really?

Not a single word from Nvidia since I updated my post with more information that they asked for. I'm a patient man, but this is ridiculous to say the least.

Posted 12/29/2010 11:40 AM   
  1 / 34    
Scroll To Top