nForce 3TB HDD Support? A HDD >2,18TB doesn't work!
  1 / 2    
Hi folks,

I have a [b]nForce 730i[/b] chipset and connected my shiny new [b]WD 3TB HDD[/b] to the SATA onboard controller as secondary data drive. Unfortunately the drive is recognized only as 746GB, which is 3TB mod 2TB in bin calculation. After doing some googeling I found out that this is a SATA controller firmware integer overflow issue, which right now (almost) all major brands have - including Intel. /omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />

Right now I need to install the bundled HBA by HighPoint but this needs an extra PCI Express 2.0 1x port, which is difficult/impossible with 2 grafic cards. But connecting the drive via USB external casing is impossible. /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

So when is a new driver for the nForce 730i chipset ready to support HDD bigger than 2^32*512B = 2,18TB??? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

The current Win 7 x64 driver v15.49 was released 2009.10.01! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Any news about this? /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />
Hi folks,

I have a nForce 730i chipset and connected my shiny new WD 3TB HDD to the SATA onboard controller as secondary data drive. Unfortunately the drive is recognized only as 746GB, which is 3TB mod 2TB in bin calculation. After doing some googeling I found out that this is a SATA controller firmware integer overflow issue, which right now (almost) all major brands have - including Intel. /omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />

Right now I need to install the bundled HBA by HighPoint but this needs an extra PCI Express 2.0 1x port, which is difficult/impossible with 2 grafic cards. But connecting the drive via USB external casing is impossible. /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

So when is a new driver for the nForce 730i chipset ready to support HDD bigger than 2^32*512B = 2,18TB??? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

The current Win 7 x64 driver v15.49 was released 2009.10.01! /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Any news about this? /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

Posted 12/17/2010 11:06 AM   
The limitation lies within the Master Boot Record for the OS. Using GUID instead removes the limitation...
The limitation lies within the Master Boot Record for the OS. Using GUID instead removes the limitation...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 970 3-Way SLI | 12 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\) | 2x 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData) | 2x 240 GB Intel Dale Crest SSDs in SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games and Benchmarks\) | 60 GB G2 SSD (Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BE14NU20 USB ODD | LG 25UM56 21:9 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Razer Tiamat 7.1 Analog Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 12/17/2010 11:37 AM   
That's actually wrong but a common thought. It is just a small thing you have to consider [b]after[/b] the HDD is recognized by the controller and OS.

If your OS/controller is presenting you the fabric new hdd as an uninitialized HDD of 746GB in size it doesn't matter what kind of partition table you use (MBR/GPT).

But yes - if the drive is recognized as 2.7TB and you want to partition it you must use GPT and a GPT compatible OS.
That's actually wrong but a common thought. It is just a small thing you have to consider after the HDD is recognized by the controller and OS.

If your OS/controller is presenting you the fabric new hdd as an uninitialized HDD of 746GB in size it doesn't matter what kind of partition table you use (MBR/GPT).

But yes - if the drive is recognized as 2.7TB and you want to partition it you must use GPT and a GPT compatible OS.

Posted 12/19/2010 10:50 AM   
So does Nvidia really not address this issue?

Again - in short - Nvidia controllers don't support HDDs bigger than 2.18 TB!
So does Nvidia really not address this issue?

Again - in short - Nvidia controllers don't support HDDs bigger than 2.18 TB!

Posted 01/26/2011 01:05 PM   
Same issue as StorageFreak, in my case with a Hitachi 3TB drive and Nvidia 680i SLI chipset. It's not GPT vs. MBR related since the full size isn't even visible before the disk is initialized. With Intel and Marvell controllers it is. So it must be a SATA controller firmware and/or driver issue.

Intel released updated 10.1 SATA drivers in November to address issues with these large drives, so why no BIOS/driver updates from Nvidia? These drives have been out for a long time now.
Same issue as StorageFreak, in my case with a Hitachi 3TB drive and Nvidia 680i SLI chipset. It's not GPT vs. MBR related since the full size isn't even visible before the disk is initialized. With Intel and Marvell controllers it is. So it must be a SATA controller firmware and/or driver issue.

Intel released updated 10.1 SATA drivers in November to address issues with these large drives, so why no BIOS/driver updates from Nvidia? These drives have been out for a long time now.

Posted 02/07/2011 08:02 PM   
Same issue as StorageFreak and Gerr, in my case with an 3TB esata Array. Good thing I ignored the initialize disk prompt. Would have been a data recovery headache.

Get this fix NVIDIA, this is important. I could have potentially lost all my digital data.
Same issue as StorageFreak and Gerr, in my case with an 3TB esata Array. Good thing I ignored the initialize disk prompt. Would have been a data recovery headache.

Get this fix NVIDIA, this is important. I could have potentially lost all my digital data.

Posted 02/07/2011 10:36 PM   
BUMP
BUMP

Posted 02/10/2011 11:25 PM   
having same issue, latest nforce 15.53 64bit not supporting 3 tb drives with windows 7 ultimate SP1 64bit.

posted here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196029

so far nvidia chipset dont support 3tb drives....and they say it is not their fault according to support...
even intel has to update drivers rst 10.1.0.1008 to see 3tb drives correctly,,just nvidia nforce drivers are not updated since last year for all chipsets......

we all should push nvidia to update or get our money back....
having same issue, latest nforce 15.53 64bit not supporting 3 tb drives with windows 7 ultimate SP1 64bit.

posted here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196029

so far nvidia chipset dont support 3tb drives....and they say it is not their fault according to support...

even intel has to update drivers rst 10.1.0.1008 to see 3tb drives correctly,,just nvidia nforce drivers are not updated since last year for all chipsets......

we all should push nvidia to update or get our money back....

Posted 03/21/2011 02:10 AM   
it really isnt nvidia's fault.this is an issue with the BIOS,which is not created by nvidia.you cant fix this with drivers.

you need UEFI or hacked GPT support at mobo level if you want to use 3TB hdds.if i am not mistaken,WD does offer a workaround to this.

your manufacturer could be able to help.

it really isnt nvidia's fault.this is an issue with the BIOS,which is not created by nvidia.you cant fix this with drivers.

you need UEFI or hacked GPT support at mobo level if you want to use 3TB hdds.if i am not mistaken,WD does offer a workaround to this.

your manufacturer could be able to help.

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 03/23/2011 07:02 AM   
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='23 March 2011 - 03:02 AM' timestamp='1300863777' post='1211962']
it really isnt nvidia's fault.this is an issue with the BIOS
[/quote]

I don't believe this is true...entirely, because with the same motherboard, Ubuntu managed to work with my 3 TB array just fine. Only in windows 7 64bit with Nvidia's driver did I encountered this problem. Now it could be that the Ubuntu drivers bypass the bios's lower level subroutines with its own, while the Nvidia's driver just uses the bios's function, so they can claim it is the bios's limitation. But they should be able to do the same as Ubuntu and work around it. At the end of the day, this isn't divide by 0, or factor a big number, and I don't believe there is a hardware limitation.

Just get it fix Nvidia. Drives >2TB is here to stay...
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='23 March 2011 - 03:02 AM' timestamp='1300863777' post='1211962']

it really isnt nvidia's fault.this is an issue with the BIOS

I don't believe this is true...entirely, because with the same motherboard, Ubuntu managed to work with my 3 TB array just fine. Only in windows 7 64bit with Nvidia's driver did I encountered this problem. Now it could be that the Ubuntu drivers bypass the bios's lower level subroutines with its own, while the Nvidia's driver just uses the bios's function, so they can claim it is the bios's limitation. But they should be able to do the same as Ubuntu and work around it. At the end of the day, this isn't divide by 0, or factor a big number, and I don't believe there is a hardware limitation.

Just get it fix Nvidia. Drives >2TB is here to stay...

Posted 03/24/2011 12:48 AM   
BUMP. Having the same issue on 590 nforce. All latest drivers and updates. Nvidia, where are you on this? My BIOS and other software see the disk as 3000gb capacity.
BUMP. Having the same issue on 590 nforce. All latest drivers and updates. Nvidia, where are you on this? My BIOS and other software see the disk as 3000gb capacity.

Posted 03/28/2011 02:58 AM   
Hey guys,

I found something:
http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/EA3C2532A751C279882577DF0059E290/$file/Deskstar_7K3000_CompatGuide_final.pdf

According to this link, the chipsets of nvidia should be able to manage hdds >2TB, but only with the windows native drivers. I dont have 3TB drive here, so I cant test. Maybe some of you can test it.
Hey guys,

I found something:

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/EA3C2532A751C279882577DF0059E290/$file/Deskstar_7K3000_CompatGuide_final.pdf

According to this link, the chipsets of nvidia should be able to manage hdds >2TB, but only with the windows native drivers. I dont have 3TB drive here, so I cant test. Maybe some of you can test it.

Posted 04/28/2011 09:17 AM   
[quote name='gadric' date='28 April 2011 - 04:17 AM' timestamp='1303982226' post='1231219']
Hey guys,

I found something:

[/quote]

This is absolutely an Nvidia driver issue. As others report, the BIOS identifies >2TB, and Linux is happy as well.

I just bought a new Hitachi 3TB drive that showed up as ~750GB before initializing. Apparently a case of 2**31 overflow in the driver itself.

I changed the driver for the individual SATA controller -- 2 drives per controller, and left the remaining controllers with my other disks using the Nvidia driver.

- Control Panel
- Device Manager
- IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller
- Right-click on NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
- Properties
- Make sure this is the one with your >2T drive. See connection 0 & 1 tabs.
- Cancel
- Right-click again on nForce SATA devices
- Click on update driver software
- Search for driver software on the computer
- Select from a list of device drivers on the computer.
- Select Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller
- Next...
- Reboot.

Upon reboot, your drives on that controller should be re-discovered, all 3T.

This was with an EVGA 780i SLI and Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I didn't test performance as capacity is my main concern with the new drive. Your results may vary.

I hope this helps...
[quote name='gadric' date='28 April 2011 - 04:17 AM' timestamp='1303982226' post='1231219']

Hey guys,

I found something:

This is absolutely an Nvidia driver issue. As others report, the BIOS identifies >2TB, and Linux is happy as well.

I just bought a new Hitachi 3TB drive that showed up as ~750GB before initializing. Apparently a case of 2**31 overflow in the driver itself.

I changed the driver for the individual SATA controller -- 2 drives per controller, and left the remaining controllers with my other disks using the Nvidia driver.

- Control Panel

- Device Manager

- IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller

- Right-click on NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

- Properties

- Make sure this is the one with your >2T drive. See connection 0 & 1 tabs.

- Cancel

- Right-click again on nForce SATA devices

- Click on update driver software

- Search for driver software on the computer

- Select from a list of device drivers on the computer.

- Select Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller

- Next...

- Reboot.

Upon reboot, your drives on that controller should be re-discovered, all 3T.

This was with an EVGA 780i SLI and Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I didn't test performance as capacity is my main concern with the new drive. Your results may vary.

I hope this helps...

Posted 04/30/2011 05:55 AM   
Has anyone tried the latest nForce drivers? WHQL version 15.58? I returned my 3TB HDD so I am unable to try this out without buying a new one.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/nForce/15.58/15.58-nforce-winvista-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe&lang=us&type=nForce

Version: 15.58 WHQL
Release Date: 2011.05.02
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 70.9 MB

They were released yesterday, 5/2.

Thx,

tzwizard
Has anyone tried the latest nForce drivers? WHQL version 15.58? I returned my 3TB HDD so I am unable to try this out without buying a new one.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/nForce/15.58/15.58-nforce-winvista-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe&lang=us&type=nForce

Version: 15.58 WHQL

Release Date: 2011.05.02

Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

Language: English (U.S.)

File Size: 70.9 MB

They were released yesterday, 5/2.

Thx,

tzwizard

Posted 05/03/2011 05:59 PM   
Don't own a >2TB hard drive. But with a 3TB external raid array the latest driver correctly recognized it while in bios Raid mode. *BUT* ...

Has problem reading and writing to files beyond the 2TB boundary!!!

Know this because:

1. Array holds a 2.5TB TrueCrypt volume that does not load properly.
2. When copying the 2.5TB file from computer to external array, always gets hanged somewhere with 800 GB left.
Don't own a >2TB hard drive. But with a 3TB external raid array the latest driver correctly recognized it while in bios Raid mode. *BUT* ...

Has problem reading and writing to files beyond the 2TB boundary!!!

Know this because:

1. Array holds a 2.5TB TrueCrypt volume that does not load properly.

2. When copying the 2.5TB file from computer to external array, always gets hanged somewhere with 800 GB left.

Posted 05/08/2011 01:04 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top