Display driver stopped working error
Hello,

I don't know where else to ask, so I'm writing here and hopefully I'll be able to get some help. I've got new PC, few months old (less than 6): Nvidia GTX 460 768MB (Gigabyte), Intel i5-650, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x64.
While I've had this error - "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding" - few times earlier, it has never been this bad (and last time it just stopped happening for quite some time). Now, for example yesterday I suddenly had BSOD while playing Xvid video, prior to that picture and sound hang. But now I'm basically unable to play any sort of video, picture either starts acting funny or goes black and returns with the error message above. Before, I had an earlier driver installed, 258... something I think. Now I specially installed the latest, it's all set up the way it should be when I check on installed programs but it's still all the same.

I'm not doing anything heavy or stressful. At all. Right now, it's only Xvid or x264 video, text work in Word and internet surfing (Firefox). It's minimal work load at best, considering my hardware. And judging by Speedfan info, all the temps are normal, 30-35 Celsius. Before, while I had the earlier driver I got from here and was still having these error messages from time to time, stress testing with Furmark went perfectly, two times 30 minutes, temp went up to 70-80 Celsius, nothing happend. Now - Furmark test picture hangs the moment I start the test, have to hit ESC to stop, just to see this error message again. Haven't done memory test yet, but when I did it last time, it didn't find anything.

EDIT: OK, just tried Furmark again. Sorry, was mistaken above, didn't run Furmark after installing new driver. But now I did. The moment I pressed start to start the test, screen went black, then came back being all weird, and with a message error box, saying something about NVIDIA OpenGL Driver being unable to connect or being disconnected and thus can't continue. I pressed OK and was back at desktop. What the h*** is going on?!

Please, please, please, I need suggesting as to how to proceed or what to think next. I'm not a technical-savvy person, but being able to work with video is an important part of my everyday life.

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

I don't know where else to ask, so I'm writing here and hopefully I'll be able to get some help. I've got new PC, few months old (less than 6): Nvidia GTX 460 768MB (Gigabyte), Intel i5-650, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 x64.

While I've had this error - "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding" - few times earlier, it has never been this bad (and last time it just stopped happening for quite some time). Now, for example yesterday I suddenly had BSOD while playing Xvid video, prior to that picture and sound hang. But now I'm basically unable to play any sort of video, picture either starts acting funny or goes black and returns with the error message above. Before, I had an earlier driver installed, 258... something I think. Now I specially installed the latest, it's all set up the way it should be when I check on installed programs but it's still all the same.

I'm not doing anything heavy or stressful. At all. Right now, it's only Xvid or x264 video, text work in Word and internet surfing (Firefox). It's minimal work load at best, considering my hardware. And judging by Speedfan info, all the temps are normal, 30-35 Celsius. Before, while I had the earlier driver I got from here and was still having these error messages from time to time, stress testing with Furmark went perfectly, two times 30 minutes, temp went up to 70-80 Celsius, nothing happend. Now - Furmark test picture hangs the moment I start the test, have to hit ESC to stop, just to see this error message again. Haven't done memory test yet, but when I did it last time, it didn't find anything.

EDIT: OK, just tried Furmark again. Sorry, was mistaken above, didn't run Furmark after installing new driver. But now I did. The moment I pressed start to start the test, screen went black, then came back being all weird, and with a message error box, saying something about NVIDIA OpenGL Driver being unable to connect or being disconnected and thus can't continue. I pressed OK and was back at desktop. What the h*** is going on?!

Please, please, please, I need suggesting as to how to proceed or what to think next. I'm not a technical-savvy person, but being able to work with video is an important part of my everyday life.

Thanks in advance!

Posted 12/16/2010 02:13 AM   
Scroll To Top