Star Wars: The Old Republic Official GeForce Guild
  1 / 4    
So if you're like me, you're not really an insane Star Wars nut because the last three movies were just so terrible, but you do enjoy that universe, so you're eagerly awaiting the launch of [url=http://www.swtor.com/]Star Wars: The Old Republic[/url] (TOR). If you're not like me, well, you should be. Because I'm awesome. Just ask my mum.

Anywho, in anticipation of TOR I'm putting out this thread. MMOs are boring unless you've got some friends to play with. So if you're interested in the game, post here! We can use this thread to build the awesomest guild ever. And I might just get some crazy t-shirt or something together for us. Who doesn't like prizes?

Edit: <a href="http://www.swtor.com/guilds/11405/geforce" target="_blank">GeForce Guild Link</a>

<blockquote style="margin-left:10px">Darth Amorphous</blockquote>
[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060803200035/sw1mush/images/c/c2/Emblem_sith_flatstar.png[/img]
So if you're like me, you're not really an insane Star Wars nut because the last three movies were just so terrible, but you do enjoy that universe, so you're eagerly awaiting the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR). If you're not like me, well, you should be. Because I'm awesome. Just ask my mum.

Anywho, in anticipation of TOR I'm putting out this thread. MMOs are boring unless you've got some friends to play with. So if you're interested in the game, post here! We can use this thread to build the awesomest guild ever. And I might just get some crazy t-shirt or something together for us. Who doesn't like prizes?

Edit: <a href="http://www.swtor.com/guilds/11405/geforce" target="_blank">GeForce Guild Link</a>

<blockquote style="margin-left:10px">Darth Amorphous</blockquote>

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 12/11/2010 09:03 AM   
TOR looks like it could be a really good game... I hope it lives up to the expectations.
After the anticipation and expectations surrounding Star Trek: Online, then it falling flat in my eyes because I had no one to play it with, I doubt I'll do another MMO anytime soon, but I'll keep an eye on it...

I agree with the last 3 movies sucking though /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I loved the originals.

"Luke, I am your father!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
"Strong is the force with this one... Mmmmm." Yoda's "Mmmmm" thing cracks me up to this day.
After the anticipation and expectations surrounding Star Trek: Online, then it falling flat in my eyes because I had no one to play it with, I doubt I'll do another MMO anytime soon, but I'll keep an eye on it...

I agree with the last 3 movies sucking though /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I loved the originals.

"Luke, I am your father!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Strong is the force with this one... Mmmmm." Yoda's "Mmmmm" thing cracks me up to this day.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 12/11/2010 10:23 AM   
I've been following every single scrap of information about SW:TOR since it was a still just a rumor, so I'm definitely in.
I've been following every single scrap of information about SW:TOR since it was a still just a rumor, so I'm definitely in.

Posted 12/17/2010 02:49 PM   
+1

Jedi Grandmaster duelistgamer shall keep your evil forces at bay Darth Amorphous

/starwars.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':starwars:' />
+1

Jedi Grandmaster duelistgamer shall keep your evil forces at bay Darth Amorphous

/starwars.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':starwars:' />

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 12/25/2010 06:58 AM   
I am all about this game when it comes out. /starwars.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':starwars:' /> I never got into WOW or any other pay to play game /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' /> . This one looks to be the one to break the mold. If we can get something organized, I would be interested. I am planning on getting some new gear in the new year so I am all about having some good games to play on my new rig.

I am alot like you Amorphous, I am not a Star Wars nut but really am interested in seeing what they are capable of doing with a game like this in the Star Wars universe. This has sooooo much more potential than Star Trek. While I am a Star Trek fan there are times when I am almost ashamed to admit it because some of the fans are FREAKS, and scare me. Star Wars has such a unique fan following that while you can hvae some scary fans, the majority just really like what Lucas did with his dream. While the last 3 movies lacked the heart of the first 3 movies, I think they were just focusing too much on special effects than having great actors with a great script. The love story was just the yuck part of the new movies for me. But TOR has the whole universe to work with and that gets me excited enough to be getting this game as soon as it comes out.
I am all about this game when it comes out. /starwars.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':starwars:' /> I never got into WOW or any other pay to play game /fear.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fear:' /> . This one looks to be the one to break the mold. If we can get something organized, I would be interested. I am planning on getting some new gear in the new year so I am all about having some good games to play on my new rig.

I am alot like you Amorphous, I am not a Star Wars nut but really am interested in seeing what they are capable of doing with a game like this in the Star Wars universe. This has sooooo much more potential than Star Trek. While I am a Star Trek fan there are times when I am almost ashamed to admit it because some of the fans are FREAKS, and scare me. Star Wars has such a unique fan following that while you can hvae some scary fans, the majority just really like what Lucas did with his dream. While the last 3 movies lacked the heart of the first 3 movies, I think they were just focusing too much on special effects than having great actors with a great script. The love story was just the yuck part of the new movies for me. But TOR has the whole universe to work with and that gets me excited enough to be getting this game as soon as it comes out.

CPU - Intel i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Audio - Onboard Asus
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67
Video - EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Video Card - 2560MB SLI
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"
Keyboard - Razer Lycosa HeadPhones - Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset
Mouse - Logitech Performance MX
Case - Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower
OS - Windows 8.1, 64 bit Pro

Posted 12/30/2010 03:56 PM   
The trailers are awesome for this game, like better then all three of the recent movies combined. We need a Kotor movie I say. The only gripe I have with TOR is it is an MMO, I don't like the genre but still thinking it might be worth it in a old republic world to check it out. Really wish though that they were just making KOTOR 3 all this time instead of TOR.
The trailers are awesome for this game, like better then all three of the recent movies combined. We need a Kotor movie I say. The only gripe I have with TOR is it is an MMO, I don't like the genre but still thinking it might be worth it in a old republic world to check it out. Really wish though that they were just making KOTOR 3 all this time instead of TOR.

--Windows 7 64-bit | Windows 8 64-bit | Evga x58 FTW3 | i7 950 @ 3.8ghz | 3x Evga GTX 680 4GB | 12GB Gskill 6-8-6-20 2T @1600mhz | Thermaltake TP 1200W | Samsung ToC 27" 1920x1080 60hz
--Windows 8.1 64-bit | Asus z87-A | i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz | 2x Sapphire R9 280x 3GB | 16GB Gskill @1600hmz 8-8-8-24 2T | Thermaltake 1000W | Samsung ToC 27" 1920x1080 60hz
--Windows 7 64-bit | Clevo P170EM 17" 1920x1080 60hz | i7-3610QM | GTX 675M | 8GB 1333mhz
--Nvidia Shield

Posted 03/17/2011 05:50 AM   
you know,if they follow the one time payment route + pay for addons i might buy the game.i sure hope subscription isnt necessary.
you know,if they follow the one time payment route + pay for addons i might buy the game.i sure hope subscription isnt necessary.

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

Cooler Master HAF-X

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 03/17/2011 10:16 AM   
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='17 March 2011 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1300356963' post='1209005']
[/quote]

At least that's what they been saying that you will not need to pay to play. My fingers are crossed here too!!
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='17 March 2011 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1300356963' post='1209005']

At least that's what they been saying that you will not need to pay to play. My fingers are crossed here too!!

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 04/04/2011 02:24 AM   
[quote name='JPDB1138' date='03 April 2011 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1301883883' post='1218819']
[/quote]
Bioware has already confirmed that the game will be subscription based. There will probably additional transactions for optional gear as well, but you can count on having to shell out $15-$20 USD a month to play the game.

Given the rumored costs of the game (as high as $300 million+ USD so far; a bit far fetched possibly, but $150 million USD is quite within the realm of possibility), there's no possible way that a free to play model can be profitable with this game. A free to play model with SWTOR could realistically only work if players are practically locked out of 90% of content and advancement routes without sinking in tons of money on micro-transactions; and MMOs that use this business model generally actually end up costing players more than a monthly subscription fee would. You can pay a flat fee up front or let them nickel and dime you to death, but one way or another they're going to get $15 a month out of you. I prefer paying upfront instead of having to run to the online store every couple days.

Subscription based MMORPGs always come with 30 days of free game play, before a subscription fee kicks in. If you'd prefer to try it before you sink $50 into a game that you might only choose/get to play for a month, usually most MMO companies start offering free trials about six months after release.
[quote name='JPDB1138' date='03 April 2011 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1301883883' post='1218819']

Bioware has already confirmed that the game will be subscription based. There will probably additional transactions for optional gear as well, but you can count on having to shell out $15-$20 USD a month to play the game.

Given the rumored costs of the game (as high as $300 million+ USD so far; a bit far fetched possibly, but $150 million USD is quite within the realm of possibility), there's no possible way that a free to play model can be profitable with this game. A free to play model with SWTOR could realistically only work if players are practically locked out of 90% of content and advancement routes without sinking in tons of money on micro-transactions; and MMOs that use this business model generally actually end up costing players more than a monthly subscription fee would. You can pay a flat fee up front or let them nickel and dime you to death, but one way or another they're going to get $15 a month out of you. I prefer paying upfront instead of having to run to the online store every couple days.

Subscription based MMORPGs always come with 30 days of free game play, before a subscription fee kicks in. If you'd prefer to try it before you sink $50 into a game that you might only choose/get to play for a month, usually most MMO companies start offering free trials about six months after release.

Posted 04/13/2011 06:00 AM   
then this game i will not play
then this game i will not play

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

Cooler Master HAF-X

Posted 04/14/2011 01:47 AM   
I saw this [url="http://www.statepress.com/2011/04/25/qa-with-%E2%80%98star-wars-the-old-republic%E2%80%99-developers/"]Q&A[/url] which the very first question asks how much will this cost to play and they will not say yet. Unfortunately this does seem to take a step in the wrong direction for me, but i am still hopeful that they will not cheese out on us and go against what they originally said which was that it was going to free to play.

I will be glad to pay $60 for this game on it's initial offering and pay for any add-ons also. I just hate the concept of paying a monthly subscription to play a game. I never have done it yet and I am not sold on the idea that a game like this has be pay for play subscription. Usually the only one who wins is the devs. Just MHO!
I saw this Q&A which the very first question asks how much will this cost to play and they will not say yet. Unfortunately this does seem to take a step in the wrong direction for me, but i am still hopeful that they will not cheese out on us and go against what they originally said which was that it was going to free to play.

I will be glad to pay $60 for this game on it's initial offering and pay for any add-ons also. I just hate the concept of paying a monthly subscription to play a game. I never have done it yet and I am not sold on the idea that a game like this has be pay for play subscription. Usually the only one who wins is the devs. Just MHO!

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 05/02/2011 05:06 PM   
[quote name='JPDB1138' date='02 May 2011 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1304355987' post='1232698']
I saw this [url="http://www.statepress.com/2011/04/25/qa-with-%E2%80%98star-wars-the-old-republic%E2%80%99-developers/"]Q&A[/url] which the very first question asks how much will this cost to play and they will not say yet. Unfortunately this does seem to take a step in the wrong direction for me, but i am still hopeful that they will not cheese out on us and go against what they originally said which was that it was going to free to play.

[/quote]
I have never read anything that said they'd be doing free to play with the game. This avoidance of discussing pricing is not new for MMORPGs that are under development. Until the developers have a solid release date on the books, they never reveal their pricing scheme as they want players to be thinking about the game itself for as long as possible, not subscription fees. It's always a question that lingers in the back of your mind, but the developers hope to get you into such a state of frenzied anticipation that you thoughtlessly give up your credit card info on the first day because you just have to play; then they hope that they've built a good enough game that you decide not to cancel.

The avoidance of discussing pricing always translates to "it's going to be fifteen bucks US a month, just like everyone else, but we're not going to say that yet because we're still trying to convince you of how new and different our game will be, despite the fact that we're sticking to: (1) the same ole revenue model; (2) quest based grinding to level up your characters; (3) mostly pointless crafting because loot drops will contain the only worthwhile gear; and (4) endgame content built around raids with low drop rates of "epic" gear, designed mainly to fuel the "need" for PvP gear, despite the fact that only an average of 10 to 20% of all MMO players participate in endgame raiding and/or PvP".

(I'm not trying to dump on the game, as I am still very excited about it. I just don't have any illusions that it's going to be much different from any other MMORPG that we've seen released in the last five years. Except for maybe a ridiculous amount of voiceover and cutscenes that you can't fast forward through.)

If they were going to go free to play, they'd have probably announced it already as that would only create more hype for the game's release. Gazillion Entertainment just announced they're developing a more adult oriented Marvel Comics MMO to go alongside their kids oriented Marvel Superhero Squad, and one of the first things they said was "free to play", even though the game isn't going to see the light of day for another two to three years. When that's the plan, there's literally no reason not to officially announce it from the get go. Co-incidentally, announcing a free to play model helps lower pre-release over-expectations as people generally expect far less from free to play MMOs than from subscription based ones; and given how insane the hype and expectations of this game have become, lowering expectations a little bit would be a good thing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that a subscription is worth it, or the best way to go or anything: you either see the value in it or don't and I'm not going to attempt to convince anyone of either side. I'm just saying that if you're hoping for a free to play game in SW:TOR, just stop hoping now because you'll only end up having your heart broken more the longer you try to hold onto that hope.
[quote name='JPDB1138' date='02 May 2011 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1304355987' post='1232698']

I saw this Q&A which the very first question asks how much will this cost to play and they will not say yet. Unfortunately this does seem to take a step in the wrong direction for me, but i am still hopeful that they will not cheese out on us and go against what they originally said which was that it was going to free to play.

I have never read anything that said they'd be doing free to play with the game. This avoidance of discussing pricing is not new for MMORPGs that are under development. Until the developers have a solid release date on the books, they never reveal their pricing scheme as they want players to be thinking about the game itself for as long as possible, not subscription fees. It's always a question that lingers in the back of your mind, but the developers hope to get you into such a state of frenzied anticipation that you thoughtlessly give up your credit card info on the first day because you just have to play; then they hope that they've built a good enough game that you decide not to cancel.

The avoidance of discussing pricing always translates to "it's going to be fifteen bucks US a month, just like everyone else, but we're not going to say that yet because we're still trying to convince you of how new and different our game will be, despite the fact that we're sticking to: (1) the same ole revenue model; (2) quest based grinding to level up your characters; (3) mostly pointless crafting because loot drops will contain the only worthwhile gear; and (4) endgame content built around raids with low drop rates of "epic" gear, designed mainly to fuel the "need" for PvP gear, despite the fact that only an average of 10 to 20% of all MMO players participate in endgame raiding and/or PvP".

(I'm not trying to dump on the game, as I am still very excited about it. I just don't have any illusions that it's going to be much different from any other MMORPG that we've seen released in the last five years. Except for maybe a ridiculous amount of voiceover and cutscenes that you can't fast forward through.)

If they were going to go free to play, they'd have probably announced it already as that would only create more hype for the game's release. Gazillion Entertainment just announced they're developing a more adult oriented Marvel Comics MMO to go alongside their kids oriented Marvel Superhero Squad, and one of the first things they said was "free to play", even though the game isn't going to see the light of day for another two to three years. When that's the plan, there's literally no reason not to officially announce it from the get go. Co-incidentally, announcing a free to play model helps lower pre-release over-expectations as people generally expect far less from free to play MMOs than from subscription based ones; and given how insane the hype and expectations of this game have become, lowering expectations a little bit would be a good thing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that a subscription is worth it, or the best way to go or anything: you either see the value in it or don't and I'm not going to attempt to convince anyone of either side. I'm just saying that if you're hoping for a free to play game in SW:TOR, just stop hoping now because you'll only end up having your heart broken more the longer you try to hold onto that hope.

Posted 05/02/2011 06:43 PM   
Unfortunately I finally figured out why I thought this game was going to be free. I have also been following Guild Wars 2. They are standing strong by not building their game with a pay for play service. Again there is still the argument what makes more sense, but unfortunately Sray is right. Star Wars will be pay to play. This may be my first attempt at this type of gaming, but I can assure you I have not seen much yet that justifies playing this for much beyond a month or two!
Unfortunately I finally figured out why I thought this game was going to be free. I have also been following Guild Wars 2. They are standing strong by not building their game with a pay for play service. Again there is still the argument what makes more sense, but unfortunately Sray is right. Star Wars will be pay to play. This may be my first attempt at this type of gaming, but I can assure you I have not seen much yet that justifies playing this for much beyond a month or two!

Audio - Onboard Asus
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"

Posted 05/31/2011 11:06 PM   
[quote name='JPDB1138' date='31 May 2011 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1306883171' post='1245100']
[/quote]
Truth be told, the only way to figure out if the game is worth $15 of your hard earned money per month is to play it for a few days. If you've never tried out an MMORPG before, I'd suggest you hold off on this one until there are free trials available. It will be a very different type of game than you've ever played before, even when compared to something like Mass Effect. Generally speaking, hand-to-eye coordination/reflexes have very little to do with your skill at the game, as opposed to first/third person action or platform games, thus they tend to have a slower pace than your standard action game; but definitely tend to have a much faster pace than mystery/adventure or RTS style games. The ability to type at a reasonably fast pace is also a huge plus.

A lot of people will try this game out right at launch and stop after their free 30 days is over: anywhere from 20 to 40 percent of the initial player base will leave a MMORPG 4 to 6 weeks after its initial launch. It's literally built into the business model of every subscription based MMORPG. You can be part of that statistic or you can just give it an extra couple months to get your hands on a free trial. Or, if you want to see if a MMORPG might be something you can stand, you can try out World of Warcraft, Rift, Champions Online, Lord of the Rings Online or Dungeons and Dragons Online right now, all of them for free (although WoW and Rift will only be ten day trials). Obviously SWTOR will be different in many ways, but it will give you the general feeling of what it's like to play an MMORPG and if that's a type of game that you feel might be worth a closer look.
[quote name='JPDB1138' date='31 May 2011 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1306883171' post='1245100']

Truth be told, the only way to figure out if the game is worth $15 of your hard earned money per month is to play it for a few days. If you've never tried out an MMORPG before, I'd suggest you hold off on this one until there are free trials available. It will be a very different type of game than you've ever played before, even when compared to something like Mass Effect. Generally speaking, hand-to-eye coordination/reflexes have very little to do with your skill at the game, as opposed to first/third person action or platform games, thus they tend to have a slower pace than your standard action game; but definitely tend to have a much faster pace than mystery/adventure or RTS style games. The ability to type at a reasonably fast pace is also a huge plus.

A lot of people will try this game out right at launch and stop after their free 30 days is over: anywhere from 20 to 40 percent of the initial player base will leave a MMORPG 4 to 6 weeks after its initial launch. It's literally built into the business model of every subscription based MMORPG. You can be part of that statistic or you can just give it an extra couple months to get your hands on a free trial. Or, if you want to see if a MMORPG might be something you can stand, you can try out World of Warcraft, Rift, Champions Online, Lord of the Rings Online or Dungeons and Dragons Online right now, all of them for free (although WoW and Rift will only be ten day trials). Obviously SWTOR will be different in many ways, but it will give you the general feeling of what it's like to play an MMORPG and if that's a type of game that you feel might be worth a closer look.

Posted 06/01/2011 12:39 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top