GTX480 Nvidia HD audio problem
Hello everyone,

I'm a french canadien, so maybe my english is not prety good.

I'm coming here to explain my problem.

First, i'm using a HDMI cable with my gtx480 (output) to an amplifier bose V30 (input), V30 (output) to my VPL-VW60 (input).

When i'm using VLC or media player classic homecinema, i'm not able to have more than sound stereo.

[img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3715/son2l.png[/img]

So, even if i choose 5.1 in each media player, i only get 2.0 because the Nvidia HD audio send only sound stereo. I'm not able to choose other option...

So, i tried on another equipement. A toshiba HDTV with an HDMI input.

Samething, only 2.0

[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2707/televisionnormal.png[/img]

All my driver have the lastest version.

In the Nvidia pannel, it is setting [HDMI-TV audio enable]

When i'm trying to use internal S/PDIF device, i have sound 5.1 if the video is in DTS. But if it is in Dolby Digital, i don't have 5.1, only 2.0

Thank to help me
Hello everyone,

I'm a french canadien, so maybe my english is not prety good.

I'm coming here to explain my problem.

First, i'm using a HDMI cable with my gtx480 (output) to an amplifier bose V30 (input), V30 (output) to my VPL-VW60 (input).

When i'm using VLC or media player classic homecinema, i'm not able to have more than sound stereo.

So, even if i choose 5.1 in each media player, i only get 2.0 because the Nvidia HD audio send only sound stereo. I'm not able to choose other option...

So, i tried on another equipement. A toshiba HDTV with an HDMI input.

Samething, only 2.0

All my driver have the lastest version.

In the Nvidia pannel, it is setting [HDMI-TV audio enable]

When i'm trying to use internal S/PDIF device, i have sound 5.1 if the video is in DTS. But if it is in Dolby Digital, i don't have 5.1, only 2.0

Thank to help me

Posted 12/11/2010 03:38 AM   
I can't view your images because image hosting sites are blocked by our NVIDIA IT department. Is your video file include a 5.1 encoded audio format or is the original format stereo?
I can't view your images because image hosting sites are blocked by our NVIDIA IT department. Is your video file include a 5.1 encoded audio format or is the original format stereo?

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 12/11/2010 04:25 AM   
The files are MKV,

The movie (from blu ray dics) are original audio format and other files are 5.1 encoded (i'm not sure).
The files are MKV,

The movie (from blu ray dics) are original audio format and other files are 5.1 encoded (i'm not sure).

Posted 12/11/2010 04:47 AM   
So ???

In the windows panel where i can configurate the sound, in HDMI from the GTX480 i'm suppose to choose between stereo, quad, 5.1, 7.1 etc or not ?

Because me, stereo is only available at this moment.

Thank
So ???

In the windows panel where i can configurate the sound, in HDMI from the GTX480 i'm suppose to choose between stereo, quad, 5.1, 7.1 etc or not ?

Because me, stereo is only available at this moment.

Thank

Posted 12/15/2010 03:35 PM   
Hey, exactly the same problem here..
GTX480 on a Bose V20 system.

ManuelG: You're missing the point totally, it could be any file being played, the computer itself is outputing stereo. What we'd really want to know if it's suposed to work; normally when you look in the "NVIDIA High definition audio driver" config output, isn't it suposed to have 5.1 sound available?

Personally, I've tried everything and decided to go around the problem and bring the sound from my SB X-Fi with an optical cable.
Hey, exactly the same problem here..

GTX480 on a Bose V20 system.

ManuelG: You're missing the point totally, it could be any file being played, the computer itself is outputing stereo. What we'd really want to know if it's suposed to work; normally when you look in the "NVIDIA High definition audio driver" config output, isn't it suposed to have 5.1 sound available?

Personally, I've tried everything and decided to go around the problem and bring the sound from my SB X-Fi with an optical cable.

Posted 12/31/2010 12:00 AM   
GTX480 on LG 5.1
tried using Optical out (from motherboard), (this works with virtual surround but I hate Virtual surround)
tried using HDMI to amp then video output from amp to tv (**See below)
Tried using HDMI to TV then output from tv to amp using the optical out. Stereo only.

Iv tried EVERYTHING, EVERY...THING. For 2 days in a row.... closest I got was with virtual surround.

My conclusion was, stupid windows wont let you output in 5.1 since IT does not detect your "external sound system".
I remember back in windows xp you could output 5.1 on mono if you wanted.. now it seems to be somewhat "automated".

Ok one last thing, If you do a SURROUND SOUND CHECK under Volume/ Interface Name Properties / supported format, I see DTS, Dolby and WMA.
/// If I was to press TEST on Dolby, then my AMPLIFIER would go in Dolby MODE.
/// If I was to press TEST on DTS, then my AMPLIFIER would go in DTS MODE.
but as soon as there is a windows sound (like when you flush the garbage, or even a facebook message) the amplifier would go back in 2 channel mode.
Theres something to this Im sure. If you could "ALWAYS OUTPUT EVERYTHING IN DTS" button.

One cheap solution is to get a nice 7.1 sound card @ about 100$.
another solution is to buy a 5.1 desktop surround system and use your motherboard
or you can always use the virtual surround, but i found it was buggy in games, seems like the games wont let you set it in Dolby surround Because WINDOWS says your still in 2channel even tho your using virtual surround.
GTX480 on LG 5.1

tried using Optical out (from motherboard), (this works with virtual surround but I hate Virtual surround)

tried using HDMI to amp then video output from amp to tv (**See below)

Tried using HDMI to TV then output from tv to amp using the optical out. Stereo only.

Iv tried EVERYTHING, EVERY...THING. For 2 days in a row.... closest I got was with virtual surround.

My conclusion was, stupid windows wont let you output in 5.1 since IT does not detect your "external sound system".

I remember back in windows xp you could output 5.1 on mono if you wanted.. now it seems to be somewhat "automated".

Ok one last thing, If you do a SURROUND SOUND CHECK under Volume/ Interface Name Properties / supported format, I see DTS, Dolby and WMA.

/// If I was to press TEST on Dolby, then my AMPLIFIER would go in Dolby MODE.

/// If I was to press TEST on DTS, then my AMPLIFIER would go in DTS MODE.

but as soon as there is a windows sound (like when you flush the garbage, or even a facebook message) the amplifier would go back in 2 channel mode.

Theres something to this Im sure. If you could "ALWAYS OUTPUT EVERYTHING IN DTS" button.

One cheap solution is to get a nice 7.1 sound card @ about 100$.

another solution is to buy a 5.1 desktop surround system and use your motherboard

or you can always use the virtual surround, but i found it was buggy in games, seems like the games wont let you set it in Dolby surround Because WINDOWS says your still in 2channel even tho your using virtual surround.

Posted 03/25/2012 06:44 PM   
Whats the stus of your problem right now? Did you find another sollution?
Whats the stus of your problem right now? Did you find another sollution?

Posted 04/14/2012 09:57 PM   
To me, this has been an on going issue for the last 3 patches from Nvidia. I have a Geforce 480 and it started with me having to turn on my reciever before Windows boots or I have to unplug my HDMI cable from the back to get it recognize its there or restart Windows. Now with the latest HD Audio update I cannot select anything but Stereo. The last few HD Audio updates have been nothing but problems.
To me, this has been an on going issue for the last 3 patches from Nvidia. I have a Geforce 480 and it started with me having to turn on my reciever before Windows boots or I have to unplug my HDMI cable from the back to get it recognize its there or restart Windows. Now with the latest HD Audio update I cannot select anything but Stereo. The last few HD Audio updates have been nothing but problems.

Posted 04/26/2012 04:36 PM   
Just want to add to this... I rolled back to driver 285.62 and DTS and Dolby Digital are back as supported formats instead of just Stereo.
Just want to add to this... I rolled back to driver 285.62 and DTS and Dolby Digital are back as supported formats instead of just Stereo.

Posted 04/26/2012 04:57 PM   
Fixed the issue of recognizing DTS/Dolby but still stuck with not being able to get audio from the graphics card once I turn my receiver off. Only resolution is to make sure the sound system is on and then either reboot or go in standby and out. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit as well and still experiencing this issue for months now. My questions are why and how do I fix this?
Fixed the issue of recognizing DTS/Dolby but still stuck with not being able to get audio from the graphics card once I turn my receiver off. Only resolution is to make sure the sound system is on and then either reboot or go in standby and out. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit as well and still experiencing this issue for months now. My questions are why and how do I fix this?

Posted 04/27/2012 03:29 AM   
Scroll To Top