onboard graphics as physx?
since i know hybrid power is dead ;-(
i wondering if it´s possible to use my onboard graphics as a physx card, until buying stronger system in 2011
asus m3nht deluxe ->Integrated NVIDIA GeForce® 8 Series GPU---NVIDIA nForce® 780a SLI™---- , win7;64bit,
if it works-how? only switch in nvidia system panel?

i wondering if it´s possible to use my onboard graphics as a physx card, until buying stronger system in 2011

asus m3nht deluxe ->Integrated NVIDIA GeForce® 8 Series GPU---NVIDIA nForce® 780a SLI™---- , win7;64bit,

Posted 12/10/2010 06:17 PM   
i dont think so,that your integrated 8 series gpu,whatever is.its not worthy to do that work,i would suggest a gt 220 for this work,its cheap + works very well especially its a very great choice for physx
i dont think so,that your integrated 8 series gpu,whatever is.its not worthy to do that work,i would suggest a gt 220 for this work,its cheap + works very well especially its a very great choice for physx

Posted 12/11/2010 06:17 AM   
I remember, I think it was Jaafa or someone with that much knowledge, said exactly how many cores are required for Physx to be possible on a GPU.

The onboard graphics on a 780a is comparable to an 8400GS apparently, which has 16 pixel pipelines, or CUDA Cores, and I believe 32 is the minimum required to run Physx on modern drivers... so the answer is no, it can't, as far as I can tell.
I remember, I think it was Jaafa or someone with that much knowledge, said exactly how many cores are required for Physx to be possible on a GPU.

The onboard graphics on a 780a is comparable to an 8400GS apparently, which has 16 pixel pipelines, or CUDA Cores, and I believe 32 is the minimum required to run Physx on modern drivers... so the answer is no, it can't, as far as I can tell.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 12/11/2010 09:40 AM   
[quote name='temporär' date='10 December 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1292005021' post='1158982']
[/quote]

I am able to on mine which is an MSI nf980 G65. I use the mobo for physX (which works very well) and my two GTX 275's for everything else. Update your mobo drivers to the latest and see if you can do it in your nvidia control panel. I played Crysis Warhead with everything maxed and it played very well.
[quote name='temporär' date='10 December 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1292005021' post='1158982']

I am able to on mine which is an MSI nf980 G65. I use the mobo for physX (which works very well) and my two GTX 275's for everything else. Update your mobo drivers to the latest and see if you can do it in your nvidia control panel. I played Crysis Warhead with everything maxed and it played very well.

Posted 12/14/2010 05:07 AM   
I Think when you adding external graphic, automatically onboard graphic will disable....... sorry if I'm wrong...... /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
I Think when you adding external graphic, automatically onboard graphic will disable....... sorry if I'm wrong...... /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

CPU/Phenom II X4 955 BE

Mobo/MSI 790FX GD 70

GPU/MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB, DDR5, 256bit

RAM/Corsair XMS3 4GB

HD/Hitachi Sata II 1TB

SC/Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer (SB0770) + Sonic Gear HS 555

PSU/Venom RX Boomslang, Hemotoxin 700W

Cooler/Thermolab Baram 2010

Case/Infinity K-50 Gaming

Monitor/Samsung Sync Master 740N, 17' LCD"

Posted 12/14/2010 07:45 AM   
[quote name='SGS' date='13 December 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1292312744' post='1160653']
[/quote]

Hybrid SLI allows for running discrete plus onboard.
[quote name='SGS' date='13 December 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1292312744' post='1160653']

Hybrid SLI allows for running discrete plus onboard.

Posted 12/15/2010 02:04 AM   
Well it is possible to have the onboard as physics even if you have a powerful graphics card, but it really depends on what your discrete GPU is. So for example my onboard GPU is a 8200 equivalent (it says 980a/780a SLI from GPU-Z). That onboard GPU has 16 unified shaders. My GTX 460 has 336 unified shaders. Thats 21 times more than the onboard GPU. In other words if I set the onboard for physics and the GTX 460 to do graphics, I will end up with far worse performance than having the GTX 460 do all the work.

In order for me to benefit from a physics card to work along my GTX 460 I need another card that has half the shaders or more than what my GTX 460 has. That way the physics card wont hold back my GTX 460.

So depending on what card you have for doing main graphics stuff, look at its shader count and get a card that has roughly half that amount. If its got more it's ok but going below half can degrade performance in physics title games.
If you have a GTX 580 or GTX 570 getting anything less than a GTX 460 for physics wont be beneficial.
If you have a GTX 460 perhaps a GTS 450 will be good there.
Well it is possible to have the onboard as physics even if you have a powerful graphics card, but it really depends on what your discrete GPU is. So for example my onboard GPU is a 8200 equivalent (it says 980a/780a SLI from GPU-Z). That onboard GPU has 16 unified shaders. My GTX 460 has 336 unified shaders. Thats 21 times more than the onboard GPU. In other words if I set the onboard for physics and the GTX 460 to do graphics, I will end up with far worse performance than having the GTX 460 do all the work.

In order for me to benefit from a physics card to work along my GTX 460 I need another card that has half the shaders or more than what my GTX 460 has. That way the physics card wont hold back my GTX 460.

So depending on what card you have for doing main graphics stuff, look at its shader count and get a card that has roughly half that amount. If its got more it's ok but going below half can degrade performance in physics title games.

If you have a GTX 580 or GTX 570 getting anything less than a GTX 460 for physics wont be beneficial.

Posted 12/15/2010 03:45 AM   
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='14 December 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1292384726' post='1161144']
[/quote]

Where is this info from? I haven't heard anything like this yet.
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='14 December 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1292384726' post='1161144']

8130p @ 5.1Ghz : GTX 570 x2 - cuda workstation

i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz : GTX 570 - itx media pc

Posted 12/15/2010 04:27 AM   
[quote name='Luke_SLI' date='15 December 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1292387266' post='1161163']
[/quote]
Well God bless his soul ChrisRay himself said it to me when SLI zone hadnt merged with Nvidia forums.
I can look for the post but it will take me a long time. I have no idea where in the forums he posted it.
Besides I had done the test myself. With my previous motherboard it had a GeForce 8200 and my discrete card was 9800 GTX+. I enabled physics on the 8200 and ran a game and I got worse FPS than running it all on my 9800GTX+.
I went and borrowed my friends 9600 GT and ran the same game and got better results than the single 9800GTX+.

I'm not saying it has to be exactly half, but it will be better for a physics card to have roughly half or more the shaders of the main graphics card.
[quote name='Luke_SLI' date='15 December 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1292387266' post='1161163']

Well God bless his soul ChrisRay himself said it to me when SLI zone hadnt merged with Nvidia forums.

I can look for the post but it will take me a long time. I have no idea where in the forums he posted it.

Besides I had done the test myself. With my previous motherboard it had a GeForce 8200 and my discrete card was 9800 GTX+. I enabled physics on the 8200 and ran a game and I got worse FPS than running it all on my 9800GTX+.

I went and borrowed my friends 9600 GT and ran the same game and got better results than the single 9800GTX+.

I'm not saying it has to be exactly half, but it will be better for a physics card to have roughly half or more the shaders of the main graphics card.

Posted 12/15/2010 04:34 AM   
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='14 December 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1292387650' post='1161171']
[/quote]

I understand. I'm very curious though.

I'm not sure how Physx is coded (I'm sure its different for every gaming engine), but I've run CUDA on many many cards with many many codes and software packages.

I can say that sometimes, it is DEFINITELY better to not be using the GPU. Phsyx, like any GPU function, requires the CPU to send function call to the GPU. If the GPU leaves the CPU waiting too long, you're probably better off not using that card.

Now what I'm not understanding is why the phsyx workload would change depending on your display GPUs. This part is not making sense to me. The display GPU's have nothing to do with the CPU calling the PPU. :shrug:
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='14 December 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1292387650' post='1161171']

I understand. I'm very curious though.

I'm not sure how Physx is coded (I'm sure its different for every gaming engine), but I've run CUDA on many many cards with many many codes and software packages.

I can say that sometimes, it is DEFINITELY better to not be using the GPU. Phsyx, like any GPU function, requires the CPU to send function call to the GPU. If the GPU leaves the CPU waiting too long, you're probably better off not using that card.

Now what I'm not understanding is why the phsyx workload would change depending on your display GPUs. This part is not making sense to me. The display GPU's have nothing to do with the CPU calling the PPU. :shrug:

8130p @ 5.1Ghz : GTX 570 x2 - cuda workstation

i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz : GTX 570 - itx media pc

Posted 12/15/2010 05:44 AM   
yea Luke perhaps. I did the test on those old cards with old physics drivers. Things have changed since then. And the game I used was Unreal Tournament 3 that wasn't exactly the best physics title. All I know I could be wrong.
But to me it doesn't make sense to have a really good discrete GPU and have the really crappy IGPU to do the physics.
I think you are correct /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />
yea Luke perhaps. I did the test on those old cards with old physics drivers. Things have changed since then. And the game I used was Unreal Tournament 3 that wasn't exactly the best physics title. All I know I could be wrong.

But to me it doesn't make sense to have a really good discrete GPU and have the really crappy IGPU to do the physics.

I think you are correct /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Posted 12/15/2010 06:38 AM   
Scroll To Top