The Nvidia 400/500 series lockup club! Have a Fermi based card that's locking up/blackscreen
  1 / 147    
[center]/omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />[size="6"][u][b]Welcome to the club![/b][/u][/size]/confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
[size="2"]Both your apophenia and aggravation are warranted beyond this point. Sadly, your card is not.[/size][/center]
[color="#FF0000"]

[size="6"][u][b]READ THIS FIRST![/b][/u][/size][/color]
There have been a lot of threads lately with titles such as [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=191484"]Does anyone at NVIDIA read these forums? Please acknowledge and address this issue![/url]. So, do Nvidia employees frequently read the forums? ManuelG is such a person.

[quote name='ManuelG' date='24 January 2011 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1295901459' post='1183003']
Yes we read the forums.
[/quote]
[size="5"]NVIDIA IS NOW LOOKING INTO THIS ISSUE:[/size]
[quote name='Peter S' date='07 February 2011 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1297104657' post='1190216']
[size="3"][font="Calibri"]Hey guys,
[/font][/size]
[size="3"][font="Calibri"]I just wanted to pop into this thread and let everyone know that we are definitely aware of the complaints and are looking into the issue. I realize that within the context of the forum this seems like a common or obvious problem, but we have not yet been able to reproduce it in our labs. This has been a high volume series of cards, yet our partners have not reported any unusual return rates. We also haven't seen this issue on the NVIDIA designed and built cards that we sell and support directly.[/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]I understand this is frustrating to those that are having an issue. We will definitely keep trying to reproduce this issue and if we can identify a root cause that is within our control we will do our best to fix it as soon as we can.[/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]Thanks, for your patience,
[/font][/size][size="3"][font="Calibri"]
[size="3"][font="Calibri"][/font][/size]--Peter[/font][/size]
[size="3"][font="Calibri"]Director, NVIDIA Customer Care[/font][/size]
[/quote]

[u][b][size="6"][color="#FF0000"]UPDATE 11/23/11:[/color][/size][/b][/u]

So, remember when I sent in my RMA for my MSI 480? Well, guess what came today! I got a replacement 480 and it's working right out of the box! No lockups, no freezes on Welcome Screen, nothing! I'll be sure to give it a good month of some Crysis 2/Skyrim before I'm confident that it'll continue working, but for now it's a major difference. So I'd say to give RMA a go. The fear will always be there of getting yet another bum card, but you might get lucky. Who knows, maybe they've weeded out all these crap cards since a year ago.

As far as the card, it's a normal MSI 480 with the stock cooler-which I wish they would have had the courtesy of giving me my Twin Frozr II fan/heatsink but whatever I'll just buy an aftermath cooler due to 87c temperatures at full load. If anyone wants any other information just let me know.

I guess I can't even be a member of the Lockup Club now. Doesn't mean I won't keep checking in though!
[u][b][size="6"][color="#FF0000"]UPDATE 4/28/11:[/color][/size][/b][/u]
So I've got the nvidia made reference 480 from ManualG. This is just a basic, run-of-the-mill 480 card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYdZ8USxTM

I recorded some gameplay footage using the reference 480. I think this card works well, although it gets a bit hot having a default cooler. The BIOS version on the card is 70.00.52.00.00 which seems to be a newer one.

So far I've ran: Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 2.5, prime95 (to make sure the rest of my system was stable with my card) 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark06, NVIDIA DEMO Supersonic Sled, Crysis Warhead, Crysis 2, Dirt 3 and the LOST PLANET 2 benchmark.

To compare the two:

MSI 480: Started having minor issues right out of the box when I first got it. Had random reboots during gameplay/benchmarks. Then it started freezing at the Welcome screen. Then it had a freak period where it actually WORKED for a few weeks without any issues and right after that it refused to run for more than a few hours before locking up. Now it locks up in my BIOS 8/10 times. If I do get into Windows, there's MAJOR graphic corruption on the screen.

Nvidia reference 480: Threw it in and it fired right up first go. Installed drivers, rebooted, everything works as it should.

So what can we conclude from having one 480 that doesn't work and one that does on the same system? Obviously our machines; our mainboards, PSUs, etc are fine. If there is a compatibility then it could be brand specific. I think it's a hardware failure on these cards. Why do they work in other mainboards? I still have no idea. Maybe certain setups can baby them enough for the damage to be minimal.

[size="4"][b]What's this about?[/b][/size]
So your machine was running just fine, well until you decided to upgrade and get all those nice Directx11 features and stuck in a 400/500 series card. Now you don't know what to make of it. Maybe it even ran fine the week before. Your machine now locks right up at the Windows 7/Vista Welcome Screen, it locks up before it even gets that far and if it actually makes it as far as getting into a game, well, it locks up within a few minutes even then. You even lockup while using Firefox. You might even try to RMA your card, but even that leaves you with the same lockups. So what's going on here? Well, you're not the only one! Here's a whole glossary on what's probably causing it, what works for some people and what not to waste your time with! Furthermore, it's without any assumptions or guessing. This is from the collected results of ACTUAL people that have the EXACT SAME issue as you. We know your system is fine, we know it ain't just you, and surely we're not all nitwits trying to run these cards with 300watt PSUs, or have them jammed sideways in their slots or the like with bits of our own drool clogging up all sorts of sockets and other various slots. Just like you, we've done everything we're supposed to do.

[size="4"][b]So, what's causing it!?[/b][/size]
[s]It's really looking like a compatibility problem with these cards and a vast majority of mainboards, from every brand of mainboard (ASUS, MSI, EVGA, ASRock, and GIGABYTE to name a few examples) to every chipset.[/s]

UPDATE 4/28/11

Obviously our machines; our mainboards, PSUs, etc are fine. If there is a compatibility then it could be brand specific. I think it's a hardware failure on these cards. Why do they work in other mainboards? I still have no idea. Maybe certain setups can baby them enough for the damage to be minimal. There are a lot of users noticing that these cards "degrade" over time. My card used to be able to play a few games in Windows, but now I can't even get my machine to POST when said card is even installed. I think they undoubtedly get worse over time.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326168
^BetA13 of the Guru of 3d forums discovered "a problem with the C-States on the gtx 460... and it is NVIDIAS FAULT.." He even had Gigabyte CONFIRM this. Basically, the gist of it is that when these cards are used with certain motherboards the power saving feature Fermi based cards use just mess everything up. In our case, it causes lockups. This may or may not be related to our lockups.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176132&view=findpost&p=1154045
^ Thanks to the troubleshooting efforts of [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showuser=294655"]BrendanCysewski[/url] it's confirmed that different mainboards run these cards without issue.

[size="4"][b]So is my card bad or what?[/b][/size]
Yes, and no. As far as most manufacturers, if you try to return your card, or get a replacement they will try out your "faulty" card in their test rigs. Surprise, surprise, you're screwed, because it usually, 90% of the time, will pass in their test setups. As far as they're concerned right now, your card is fine. So is your system bad then? NO! Your system is just as rock solid as it was BEFORE you even bought the card. T[s]here's just a major compatibility problem going on with a large number of mainboards with these cards. Your card will work if you stick it in a board that just happens to agree with your card. Yeah, I know. Ain't it fun to have to resort to all this due to someone else's mistake? You may also be able to get it more stable with different BIOS settings, we'll get to that coming up.[/s] On second thought, it seems like it's a hardware failure on the card's end.

[size="4"][b]What works[/b][/size]

1. Avoid the 400 series (and certain 580s) like the goddamn plague. Go grab any ATI card or any 500 series Nvidia card instead.

2. Send your motherboard AND your card in together when you RMA your card. Be sure to make it clear that you want them to test your card out on your system and that they're onboard with this.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401&view=findpost&p=1157340
^ [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showuser=295426"]Dervious[/url] has already had success with doing this.
[quote name='Dervious' date='07 December 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1291734950' post='1157340']
RESULT !!!!!

Just had an email from Gigabyte........

Dear Sir,

In regards to this RMA number:

I am informed there was some error with your existing VGA card when being used with the sent motherboard. Therefore we have swapped this item and now no errors are detected. It appears the original VGA somehow was failing to match up and work with the motherboard correctly. We conclude the motherboard is not at fault as after we swapped the VGA, the item ran without error (no stop/starts) for 2 hours.

Both items are being returned today by City Link.

Regards

Returns Dept

I`ll also add that I sent the MB + GFX card on Friday, so that`s pretty quick work by Gigabyte. Fair play to them, pity it took me hours of testing and a lot of confusion to finally get the problem resolved.[/quote]

However, when I attempted to start an RMA where I requested that I send in my board and card they replied with this:
[quote]For all other products such as Motherboard, VGA, Barebone Desktop PC, you must send in ONLY the item that needs service. [u][b]Please DO NOT ship any item such as processor, memory, cable, manual, software, cables, clips, and original box otherwise they will not be returned or replaced.[/b][/u][/quote]
So I would not recommend sending your card and mainboard less you actually talk with someone and get more than some generic automated response.

3. Trying a different VGA BIOS.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401&view=findpost&p=1157175
^ gasparmx fixed his issues by flashing his EliteGroup brand card to a Gigabyte card BIOS. It would make sense that another card brand BIOS would considering different brands of cards are known to work fine on some boards. Please note, this comes with some risks. You may possibly void your card's warranty if they see you've changed the BIOS. The other thing is, if your card or system locks up while flashing the BIOS then you could make something that was already bad worse, you could turn your card into full time brick. So be careful if you try this. I'll be testing this out myself later on and report my own success.

4. Buying a motherboard that is KNOWN to run these cards. You're going to have to look around online and in this thread. See what other people are running with their cards. Be aware though, this can be hit or miss. My board apparently runs an EVGA 460 fine, yet, my MSI 480 locks up.

5. BIOS settings. There are a few settings people keep reporting success with. They are:
[list]
[*]PEG Force X1 to Enabled
[*]Change PnP/PCI Express Maximum Payload Size from 128 to 4096
[*]Setting PCI-E Frequency either to 100, 103, 105, or 110
[*]Setting PCI-E Slot wattage to 50, 75 or the highest you can go. If you're blessed enough to have this setting, you're in luck! A lot of people say this solves their issue!
[*]Setting your PCI-E slot to run at 8x, 4x or 2x instead of 16x. There's usually not BIOS setting for this, it's all automatic.
[*]Up your IOH Vcore voltage
[*]NB Voltage: Upping it or sometimes lowering it. You'll have to play around with it.
[*]HT Link Frequency: Setting this lower can help.
[*]Disable IDE Support
[*][url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showuser=99959"]Zooze[/url] seems to have success enabling the USB Keyboard and Mouse Option in the BIOS, so it's worth a shot.
[/list]

6. Trying another PCI-E slot on your board. People report mixed success with this.

[size="4"][b]What doesn't work[/b][/size]
1. Drivers, software, or reformatting. Anything that's on your hard drive does not matter. Why? Because these cards will lockup before Windows even loads. These cards are known to lockup while in the BIOS. Like I said before, drivers can help bandage the symptoms but they won't actually fix anything that's a compatibility issue between motherboards and these nvidia cards. You can take the hard drive and hammer nails through it and it won't effect the lockups. Like I said, leave your BIOS settings open for an hour or so, it will eventually lockup. While I still believe drivers don't fix this issue, the 258.96 driver set to "Prefer maximum performance" seemed to bandage it the best out of all of them I tried. It is surely not Operating System related either. I've seen everything, from Linux distros, to Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 reporting lockups.

2. Manually setting the card's voltage and clock profiles in a modded vga BIOS. I tried this, a multiple times. I have had no personal success messing around with my card's BIOS whatsoever.

[size="4"][b]Collection of threads that discuss the same problem[/b][/size]
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=171920"]GTX480: PC hangs after login[/url]
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176132"]Gtx 460 freezing crashing[/url]
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183075&st=0"]Here goes a little help to the people having GTX 400 freezing problems, even at POST (NOT SOUND RELATED)[/url]
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=186382"]nvidia silence[/url]

[size="4"][b][u]Club members or List of boards with known issues, username/board/card:[/u][/b][/size]
[b]Current number of users listed reporting issues: 112[/b]
[s]If anyone would like to be added/removed, or for me to add something then just reply or send me a private message.[/s]

UPDATE 4/28/11

Seeing as we couldn't find a common ground for all these cards locking up, or a completely safe mainboard I've stopped updating the list. I still really appreciate everyone sending in information about their systems. It has helped all of us tremendously in troubleshooting all of this. The list surely helped Nvidia start taking recondition of there even being a very real problem. The list in my eyes has already served it's purpose and then some. /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />
[b](Ctrl F to search)[/b]

3sheets: MSI X58 Pro-E Intel X58/EVDA GTX460's SLI'd

ajs-cfg: EVGA X58 SLI LE/2x EVGA GTX470 SLI'd

Andy_123: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/Gigabyte GTS-450 1MB

Awdm: MSI K9A2VM-FD/Gainward GTX 460 1GB GS

Barnstormer: Asus P6T/EVGA GeForce 470 GX

Bayzombie: ASUS P6X58D Premium/Evga GeForce GTX480 Superclocked

BestPCInfo.pl: MSI P55-GD85/TwinTech Geforce GTX465

bensimon: Asus P7P55D-E/EVGA GTX 460 768Mb

bk6: Gigabyte X58A-UDR3/Gigabyte 460 1GB
bk6: Gigabyte X58A-UDR3/MSI 460 1GB

Blobasaurus: ASUS M4A785-M/EVGA Geforce GTX 460 SE 1GB

bloefield: Asus P6T Deluxe/MSI Talon Attack 460

BrendanCysewski: Asus P6T Deluxe V2GTX/EVGA 470 and 480 and a GTX 580 (all locked up)

Buster_Dee: EVGA 790i Ultra SLI/PNY 480 GTX

Bydyn: ECS Black A790GXM-A/EVGA GTX 470

c0d3ster: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro/EVGA GeForce GTX460 768MB DDR5

carlo_0000: M2N SLI-DELUXE/club3d gtx 460

cB.Fireball: ASUS P6T Deluxe (V1) w/ Intel X58 Chipset/Gainward GTX 460 1 GB

colets: MSI Eclipse SLI/Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC (GV-N470SO-13I) (modified video cards BIOS with NIBITOR and was stable afterward)

Copyright: EVGA 780i/Video Card: Zotac gtx 480 (ZT-40101-10P) BIOS Version: 70.0.21.0.2

CowboyTony: Gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD3P/Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Super Overclock 1GB DDR5(GV-N460SO-1GI)

CRS_2: Asus P7P55D/Asus ENGTX470

D4rKr0W: Asus P5Q/Gainward GTX 460 768mb
D4rKr0W: Asrock X58 Extreme3/Gainward GTX 460 768mb

dark_heaven: Asus P7H57D-V EVO/KFA GTX460 SOC

DaVillen: Asus P5N-D SLI/ASUS GTX 480

dayrinni: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/EVGA 470 GTX

DeathSlasher: Asus M4A78-EM/1394/Galaxy GTX 460 1GB GC

Dervious: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P/Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB

deserttears: MSI P55-GD55/Gigabyte Geforce GTX460 768MB

digbee: Asus P6t/EVGA GTX 470

dr_AllCOM3: Gigabyte MA770-UD3/Gainward GTX470

DrDrake: Asus P6T Deluxe v2/Gainward GTX480

Dr Nick: ASUS P6T/EVGA GTX 480 SC

dwayner: Abit Aw9D-MAX/ZOTAC GTX470

Eruldan: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7/Asus ENGTX480

Emir_S: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3/Gigabyte GTX-460 768 MB

exale: Asus P5Q-E/Zotac GTX 470

feridek: ASUS P7P55D Pro/Gigabyte GTX 470

firehot: Asus Striker Extreme/Asus 470

FPK: Asus P5N-E SLI/Gainward GTX 460 2 GB
FPK: Asus P5QD Turbo/Gainward GTX 460 2 GB

gasparmx: MSI AMD 890GX/ECS NVIDIA 470 GTX

gecko1001: ECS GF8100VM-M5/Palit GTX 460 768mb

Genetic_Drifter: Asus M3a-h HDMI/MSI Cyclone 460gtx 768D5

germaj: ASUS P6TD Deluxe/Galaxy GTX 460 1024MB

ghling: ASRock 870 Extreme3/gtx 460

handbanana: ASUS M4A89 GTD/MSI GTX 470

Hadesg: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3/Gigabyte GTX470

Happy25: Asus 7p55d/Gainward GTX 460
Happy25: MSI Platinum P965/Gainward GTX 460

HarryMason: Intel (Love Valley P) P965 Viiv Motherboard R0/Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic 2GB

howardt: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/2 EVGA 460's SLI'd

Hyakitaki: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe/EVGA GTX 470

lmaonade80: Gigabyte P55 USB3/Nvidia 465

jandrin: Gigabyte ud5-x58a/2 Gigabyte GTX 460oc 1gb SLI'd

JASHINHUNTER: Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe/EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB 01G-P3-1370

Kackarot00: ASUS P7P55D-E/460gtx (need model)

Kanta: ASRock A785GXH128M/Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 OC Ultra series,1GB GDDR5 (GV-N460OC-1GI) (need model)

Knut_Stanley: Asus M4A88TD-M/Gainward geforce GTX 460 768 MB

Krisiun: ASUS P6X58D-E/PoV GTX 480

KRISS: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro/EVGA GTX 470

Kumite23: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/Gigabyte GV-N460DS-768I-B

m84: ASUS P5B/Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC

maraiel: ASUS P6T/Evga gtx 460

_Mas_: Asus Rampage III Extreme/Asus GTX 480

Masiril85: GA-MA790X-UD4P/MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II

Master_of_Desaster: GA-870A-UD3/Inno3D GTX 470

Megalopsy: Asus Rampage 2 extreme/Galaxy Nvidia480

mikeyzeeee: Asus M3A32-MVP DELUXE/EVGA GTX 460 SC 1gb

mitnite2011: ASUS 780G/EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
mitnite2011: ASUS 785-M/EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
mitnite2011: P35 Shuttle Board/EVGA GTX460 1GB SC

Mix-Master: Gigabyte X58a UD3R/Gigabyte GTX 470 SLI (GV-N470UD-13I)

MMilad: Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R/evga GTX 460 1GB

mopeypilgrim: EVGA X58/EVGA 470 Fermi

MyusernameisME: MSI NF980-G65/Gigabyte GTX 480

nimanouri: Gigabyte X58-UD5/2 x GTX480 SLI'd
nimanouri: Gigabyte X58-UD5/2 x GTX480 SLI'd (need card models)

noobubu: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Socket AM3/Palit XpertVision GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB
noobubu: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Socket AM3/Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Super Overclock 1GB DDR5

Nwik: Asus P5W DH Deluxe/EVGA GTX 460 (with default BIOS settings)

OCY: ASUS P7P55 LX/Galaxy GTX460 1GB DDR5

opiwan: ASUS P6T/EVGA GeForce GTX 480

Overij: ASUS P5QL/ASUS Geforce GTX 460 768MB

overrandom: ASUS p6x58d-Premium/MSI NVidia GTX 480

Oxidation: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3/Gigabyte GTS 450(GV-N450C-1G1)

pirAa: Asrock AM3 890GX/Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 1GB

pisoY: Asus Rampage III Extreme/ 2 MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II SLI'd

pensuke89: ASUS P5N-D SLI/MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 Cyclone 1GB/OC

rdkill: ASUS PT6/PNY 480

Rdouglas_1: GA-MA770T-UD3P/PnY 470

Sagaballa: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula/Gainward GeForce GTX 470

Shinjari: EVGA 680i SE 122-CK-NF63-TR/EVGA 768mb SC Model:768-P3-1362-AR

Snoopy782: Gigabyte x58 ud5/Gigabyte gtx460 1gb oc edition in Sli

Solar804: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (rev1.0)/Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI

source_91: Asus IPIBL-LB/Gigabyte 460 1GB

tayyeb555: ASUS M2N-VM DVI/Zotac Geforce 460 1GB

Tazim: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 / Gainward GTX 460 768mb

TDoyon: ASUS P6X58D-E/EVGA GTX 460

Teiresias: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P/Gigabyte GTX 460

Tekadan: ASUS M4N82 Deluxe/ASUS 465 GTX 1GB

thebizkid: MSI BIG BANG XPOWER X58/MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II

the_prefect: MSI 785GTM-E45/Inno3d GTX460 OC (768MB variant)

thewoozle: Gygabyte MA790x/Gigabyte GTX470

tinhv: EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI3/EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

Tithelix: ASUS P7P55D/Gigabyte GTX 460 1Go OC Edition

trev1976: Asus P5Q-EM/MSI GTX460 Hawk

unleashthepwnies: Asus P6T/Galaxy KFA2 GTX470

vahidpooyan: Asus Rampage II Extreme/3 EVGA GTX 480 SC SLI'd (3-way)

vector-1: DFI P55 MI-T36/gtx480
vector-1: Asus p7p55d/gtx480
vector-1: Asus M4A79 Deluxe/gtx480
vector-1: crosshair iv formula/gtx460 (need model)

Veeshush: ASUS M4A77D/MSI N480GTX Twin Frozr II
Veeshush: ASUS M2N32 SLI-DELUXE/MSI N480GTX Twin Frozr II
Veeshush: ASUS M2N SLI-DELUXE/EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460 (yet I get DCP spikes with this combination)
Veeshush: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2/MSI N480GTX Twin Frozr II (when it does work I found it only runs when the PCI-E16x slot is set at 2x.)

vumeister: ASUS P5Q Deluxe/ASUS ENGTX470

werty316: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P/Gigabyte GV-N460OC-768I

w00ps: Asus P7P55D-Deluxe (bios 1901)/Colorful 465 GTX 1GB

WolfSoul: (adding system soon)

Xen81: Asus P5N-D Nforce 750i/Zotac 460GTX Synergy

YCH: Asus Rampage III Extreme/GTX480
YCH: Asus P5K Deluxe/GTX480 (need model)

Yozo: MSI K9A2 CF/Palit GTX460 768mb

ZenS: Asus P7P55D-E Premium / Gigabyte GTS450 OC 1G

[size="4"][b][u]List of boards that do not lockup with Fermi based cards, username/board/card:[/u][/b][/size]

997luke: ASUS P6X58D Premium / 3 ASUS GTX 480 SLI'd (3-way)
997luke: ASUS P6X58D-E / 3 ASUS GTX 480 SLI'd (3-way)

Bayzombie: ASUS P6X58D Premium/(2) PNY GTX470 SLI (This means same BIOS, Voltage Settings, OS, Drivers that the original GTX480 was using and would freeze with)

bLuDrGn: eVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 680i SLI/eVGA 1GB GTX 460 SC EE Exhaust

BrendanCysewski: EVGA X58 FTW/EVGA 470 and 480 and a GTX 580 (all working!)
BrendanCysewski: ASUS Sabertooth/EVGA 470 and 480 and a GTX 580 (all working!)
BrendanCysewski: EVGA 750i FTW (LGA 775)/EVGA GTX 470 and 480 (Works!)

bsh: gigabyte ga-m720-us3, rev 1.0, BIOS: F6/gigabyte gv-n460oc-1gi, rev 1.0, BIOS: 70.04.1B.00.02

CowboyTony: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H / Gigabyte GV-N460SO-1GI

cyronn: xfx780i/palitgtx480

DcSys: Asus P7P55D-E PRO/Asus ENGTX465

fmsam: Asus Rampage III Extreme/2 Asus GTX 570s SLI'd

GeForce GTX 580: Gigabyte MA785GPMT-UD2H/Point of View GTX 580

ghling: MSI P35-Neo/gtx 460

Hodgy1971: Asus RE3/Asus GTX 480, WC EK-FC480, Asus GTX 480, WC EK-FC480, EVGA GTX 480, WC EK-FC480 SLI

Ital: MSI P55-CD53/MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB

jaafaman: ASUS P7P55 Workstation Supercomputer/PNY GTX 470, nVidia GTX 460 and nVidia GTS 450

Lordred: Asus M4N98TD EVO AM3/eVGA GTX460 1GB or Galaxy GTX460 1GB

lv_marv: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5/Asus GTX480

mattlach: Shuttle SX85H7/MSI GTX 470 (N470GTX-M2D12-B)
mattlach: Shuttle SX85H7/PNY GTX 580 (VCGGTX580XPB)

MiTz: ASRock A785GMH/Gigabyte GTX460 Super OC

Nwik: Asus P5W DH Deluxe/EVGA GTX 460 (BIOS settings adjusted, [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183075&st=0"]Thread[/url])

-{RaptoR}-: Asus R3E/EVGA GTX580SC
-{RaptoR}-: Asus Rampage III Extreme + 2 EVGA GTX580SC SLI'd

-=Ryme=-: EVGA 780i/SLI EVGA GTX480's

SHARKMEAT: ASUS P5N-T Deluxe/EVGA GTX460 SC 1024 EE

sjobeck: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0/Gigabyte GTX 460 (GV-N460OC-1GI) (only worked after BIOS was flashed to FD)

Qazax p6t deluxe/gtx 460's in sli (KFA2 OC)

Veeshush: ASUS M4A77D/EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460
Veeshush: ASUS M4A77D/ Nvidia Reference 480 from ManualG
Veeshush: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2/MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Xavier Zepherios: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L/EVGA GTX570

Zooze: MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp/Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan

[s]If anyone would like to be added/removed, or for me to add something then just reply or send me a private message.[/s]

UPDATE 4/28/11

Seeing as we couldn't find a common ground for all these cards locking up, or a completely safe mainboard I've stopped updating the list. I still really appreciate everyone sending in information about their systems. It has helped all of us tremendously in troubleshooting all of this. The list surely helped Nvidia start taking recondition of there even being a very real problem. The list in my eyes has already served it's purpose and then some. /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

[size="5"]I will keep this post updated[/size]
/omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />Welcome to the club!/confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Both your apophenia and aggravation are warranted beyond this point. Sadly, your card is not.

READ THIS FIRST!

There have been a lot of threads lately with titles such as Does anyone at NVIDIA read these forums? Please acknowledge and address this issue!. So, do Nvidia employees frequently read the forums? ManuelG is such a person.

[quote name='ManuelG' date='24 January 2011 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1295901459' post='1183003']

Yes we read the forums.

NVIDIA IS NOW LOOKING INTO THIS ISSUE:

[quote name='Peter S' date='07 February 2011 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1297104657' post='1190216']

Hey guys,

I just wanted to pop into this thread and let everyone know that we are definitely aware of the complaints and are looking into the issue. I realize that within the context of the forum this seems like a common or obvious problem, but we have not yet been able to reproduce it in our labs. This has been a high volume series of cards, yet our partners have not reported any unusual return rates. We also haven't seen this issue on the NVIDIA designed and built cards that we sell and support directly.

I understand this is frustrating to those that are having an issue. We will definitely keep trying to reproduce this issue and if we can identify a root cause that is within our control we will do our best to fix it as soon as we can.

Thanks, for your patience,

--Peter

Director, NVIDIA Customer Care

UPDATE 11/23/11:

So, remember when I sent in my RMA for my MSI 480? Well, guess what came today! I got a replacement 480 and it's working right out of the box! No lockups, no freezes on Welcome Screen, nothing! I'll be sure to give it a good month of some Crysis 2/Skyrim before I'm confident that it'll continue working, but for now it's a major difference. So I'd say to give RMA a go. The fear will always be there of getting yet another bum card, but you might get lucky. Who knows, maybe they've weeded out all these crap cards since a year ago.

As far as the card, it's a normal MSI 480 with the stock cooler-which I wish they would have had the courtesy of giving me my Twin Frozr II fan/heatsink but whatever I'll just buy an aftermath cooler due to 87c temperatures at full load. If anyone wants any other information just let me know.

I guess I can't even be a member of the Lockup Club now. Doesn't mean I won't keep checking in though!

UPDATE 4/28/11:

So I've got the nvidia made reference 480 from ManualG. This is just a basic, run-of-the-mill 480 card.

/>

I recorded some gameplay footage using the reference 480. I think this card works well, although it gets a bit hot having a default cooler. The BIOS version on the card is 70.00.52.00.00 which seems to be a newer one.

So far I've ran: Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 2.5, prime95 (to make sure the rest of my system was stable with my card) 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark06, NVIDIA DEMO Supersonic Sled, Crysis Warhead, Crysis 2, Dirt 3 and the LOST PLANET 2 benchmark.

To compare the two:

MSI 480: Started having minor issues right out of the box when I first got it. Had random reboots during gameplay/benchmarks. Then it started freezing at the Welcome screen. Then it had a freak period where it actually WORKED for a few weeks without any issues and right after that it refused to run for more than a few hours before locking up. Now it locks up in my BIOS 8/10 times. If I do get into Windows, there's MAJOR graphic corruption on the screen.

Nvidia reference 480: Threw it in and it fired right up first go. Installed drivers, rebooted, everything works as it should.

So what can we conclude from having one 480 that doesn't work and one that does on the same system? Obviously our machines; our mainboards, PSUs, etc are fine. If there is a compatibility then it could be brand specific. I think it's a hardware failure on these cards. Why do they work in other mainboards? I still have no idea. Maybe certain setups can baby them enough for the damage to be minimal.

What's this about?

So your machine was running just fine, well until you decided to upgrade and get all those nice Directx11 features and stuck in a 400/500 series card. Now you don't know what to make of it. Maybe it even ran fine the week before. Your machine now locks right up at the Windows 7/Vista Welcome Screen, it locks up before it even gets that far and if it actually makes it as far as getting into a game, well, it locks up within a few minutes even then. You even lockup while using Firefox. You might even try to RMA your card, but even that leaves you with the same lockups. So what's going on here? Well, you're not the only one! Here's a whole glossary on what's probably causing it, what works for some people and what not to waste your time with! Furthermore, it's without any assumptions or guessing. This is from the collected results of ACTUAL people that have the EXACT SAME issue as you. We know your system is fine, we know it ain't just you, and surely we're not all nitwits trying to run these cards with 300watt PSUs, or have them jammed sideways in their slots or the like with bits of our own drool clogging up all sorts of sockets and other various slots. Just like you, we've done everything we're supposed to do.

So, what's causing it!?

It's really looking like a compatibility problem with these cards and a vast majority of mainboards, from every brand of mainboard (ASUS, MSI, EVGA, ASRock, and GIGABYTE to name a few examples) to every chipset.

UPDATE 4/28/11

Obviously our machines; our mainboards, PSUs, etc are fine. If there is a compatibility then it could be brand specific. I think it's a hardware failure on these cards. Why do they work in other mainboards? I still have no idea. Maybe certain setups can baby them enough for the damage to be minimal. There are a lot of users noticing that these cards "degrade" over time. My card used to be able to play a few games in Windows, but now I can't even get my machine to POST when said card is even installed. I think they undoubtedly get worse over time.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326168

^BetA13 of the Guru of 3d forums discovered "a problem with the C-States on the gtx 460... and it is NVIDIAS FAULT.." He even had Gigabyte CONFIRM this. Basically, the gist of it is that when these cards are used with certain motherboards the power saving feature Fermi based cards use just mess everything up. In our case, it causes lockups. This may or may not be related to our lockups.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176132&view=findpost&p=1154045

^ Thanks to the troubleshooting efforts of BrendanCysewski it's confirmed that different mainboards run these cards without issue.

So is my card bad or what?

Yes, and no. As far as most manufacturers, if you try to return your card, or get a replacement they will try out your "faulty" card in their test rigs. Surprise, surprise, you're screwed, because it usually, 90% of the time, will pass in their test setups. As far as they're concerned right now, your card is fine. So is your system bad then? NO! Your system is just as rock solid as it was BEFORE you even bought the card. There's just a major compatibility problem going on with a large number of mainboards with these cards. Your card will work if you stick it in a board that just happens to agree with your card. Yeah, I know. Ain't it fun to have to resort to all this due to someone else's mistake? You may also be able to get it more stable with different BIOS settings, we'll get to that coming up. On second thought, it seems like it's a hardware failure on the card's end.

What works

1. Avoid the 400 series (and certain 580s) like the goddamn plague. Go grab any ATI card or any 500 series Nvidia card instead.

2. Send your motherboard AND your card in together when you RMA your card. Be sure to make it clear that you want them to test your card out on your system and that they're onboard with this.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401&view=findpost&p=1157340

^ Dervious has already had success with doing this.

[quote name='Dervious' date='07 December 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1291734950' post='1157340']

RESULT !!!!!

Just had an email from Gigabyte........

Dear Sir,

In regards to this RMA number:

I am informed there was some error with your existing VGA card when being used with the sent motherboard. Therefore we have swapped this item and now no errors are detected. It appears the original VGA somehow was failing to match up and work with the motherboard correctly. We conclude the motherboard is not at fault as after we swapped the VGA, the item ran without error (no stop/starts) for 2 hours.

Both items are being returned today by City Link.

Regards

Returns Dept

I`ll also add that I sent the MB + GFX card on Friday, so that`s pretty quick work by Gigabyte. Fair play to them, pity it took me hours of testing and a lot of confusion to finally get the problem resolved.

However, when I attempted to start an RMA where I requested that I send in my board and card they replied with this:

For all other products such as Motherboard, VGA, Barebone Desktop PC, you must send in ONLY the item that needs service. Please DO NOT ship any item such as processor, memory, cable, manual, software, cables, clips, and original box otherwise they will not be returned or replaced.

So I would not recommend sending your card and mainboard less you actually talk with someone and get more than some generic automated response.

3. Trying a different VGA BIOS.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401&view=findpost&p=1157175

^ gasparmx fixed his issues by flashing his EliteGroup brand card to a Gigabyte card BIOS. It would make sense that another card brand BIOS would considering different brands of cards are known to work fine on some boards. Please note, this comes with some risks. You may possibly void your card's warranty if they see you've changed the BIOS. The other thing is, if your card or system locks up while flashing the BIOS then you could make something that was already bad worse, you could turn your card into full time brick. So be careful if you try this. I'll be testing this out myself later on and report my own success.

4. Buying a motherboard that is KNOWN to run these cards. You're going to have to look around online and in this thread. See what other people are running with their cards. Be aware though, this can be hit or miss. My board apparently runs an EVGA 460 fine, yet, my MSI 480 locks up.

5. BIOS settings. There are a few settings people keep reporting success with. They are:

• PEG Force X1 to Enabled
  • Change PnP/PCI Express Maximum Payload Size from 128 to 4096
  • Setting PCI-E Frequency either to 100, 103, 105, or 110
  • Setting PCI-E Slot wattage to 50, 75 or the highest you can go. If you're blessed enough to have this setting, you're in luck! A lot of people say this solves their issue!
  • Setting your PCI-E slot to run at 8x, 4x or 2x instead of 16x. There's usually not BIOS setting for this, it's all automatic.
  • Up your IOH Vcore voltage
  • NB Voltage: Upping it or sometimes lowering it. You'll have to play around with it.
  • HT Link Frequency: Setting this lower can help.
  • Disable IDE Support
  • Zooze seems to have success enabling the USB Keyboard and Mouse Option in the BIOS, so it's worth a shot.

6. Trying another PCI-E slot on your board. People report mixed success with this.

What doesn't work

1. Drivers, software, or reformatting. Anything that's on your hard drive does not matter. Why? Because these cards will lockup before Windows even loads. These cards are known to lockup while in the BIOS. Like I said before, drivers can help bandage the symptoms but they won't actually fix anything that's a compatibility issue between motherboards and these nvidia cards. You can take the hard drive and hammer nails through it and it won't effect the lockups. Like I said, leave your BIOS settings open for an hour or so, it will eventually lockup. While I still believe drivers don't fix this issue, the 258.96 driver set to "Prefer maximum performance" seemed to bandage it the best out of all of them I tried. It is surely not Operating System related either. I've seen everything, from Linux distros, to Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 reporting lockups.

2. Manually setting the card's voltage and clock profiles in a modded vga BIOS. I tried this, a multiple times. I have had no personal success messing around with my card's BIOS whatsoever.

Collection of threads that discuss the same problem

GTX480: PC hangs after login

Gtx 460 freezing crashing

Here goes a little help to the people having GTX 400 freezing problems, even at POST (NOT SOUND RELATED)

nvidia silence

Club members or List of boards with known issues, username/board/card:

Current number of users listed reporting issues: 112

If anyone would like to be added/removed, or for me to add something then just reply or send me a private message.

UPDATE 4/28/11

(Ctrl F to search)

3sheets: MSI X58 Pro-E Intel X58/EVDA GTX460's SLI'd

ajs-cfg: EVGA X58 SLI LE/2x EVGA GTX470 SLI'd

Andy_123: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/Gigabyte GTS-450 1MB

Awdm: MSI K9A2VM-FD/Gainward GTX 460 1GB GS

Barnstormer: Asus P6T/EVGA GeForce 470 GX

Bayzombie: ASUS P6X58D Premium/Evga GeForce GTX480 Superclocked

BestPCInfo.pl: MSI P55-GD85/TwinTech Geforce GTX465

bensimon: Asus P7P55D-E/EVGA GTX 460 768Mb

bk6: Gigabyte X58A-UDR3/Gigabyte 460 1GB

bk6: Gigabyte X58A-UDR3/MSI 460 1GB

Blobasaurus: ASUS M4A785-M/EVGA Geforce GTX 460 SE 1GB

bloefield: Asus P6T Deluxe/MSI Talon Attack 460

BrendanCysewski: Asus P6T Deluxe V2GTX/EVGA 470 and 480 and a GTX 580 (all locked up)

Buster_Dee: EVGA 790i Ultra SLI/PNY 480 GTX

Bydyn: ECS Black A790GXM-A/EVGA GTX 470

c0d3ster: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro/EVGA GeForce GTX460 768MB DDR5

carlo_0000: M2N SLI-DELUXE/club3d gtx 460

cB.Fireball: ASUS P6T Deluxe (V1) w/ Intel X58 Chipset/Gainward GTX 460 1 GB

colets: MSI Eclipse SLI/Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC (GV-N470SO-13I) (modified video cards BIOS with NIBITOR and was stable afterward)

Copyright: EVGA 780i/Video Card: Zotac gtx 480 (ZT-40101-10P) BIOS Version: 70.0.21.0.2

CowboyTony: Gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD3P/Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Super Overclock 1GB DDR5(GV-N460SO-1GI)

CRS_2: Asus P7P55D/Asus ENGTX470

D4rKr0W: Asus P5Q/Gainward GTX 460 768mb

D4rKr0W: Asrock X58 Extreme3/Gainward GTX 460 768mb

dark_heaven: Asus P7H57D-V EVO/KFA GTX460 SOC

DaVillen: Asus P5N-D SLI/ASUS GTX 480

dayrinni: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/EVGA 470 GTX

DeathSlasher: Asus M4A78-EM/1394/Galaxy GTX 460 1GB GC

Dervious: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P/Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB

deserttears: MSI P55-GD55/Gigabyte Geforce GTX460 768MB

digbee: Asus P6t/EVGA GTX 470

dr_AllCOM3: Gigabyte MA770-UD3/Gainward GTX470

DrDrake: Asus P6T Deluxe v2/Gainward GTX480

Dr Nick: ASUS P6T/EVGA GTX 480 SC

dwayner: Abit Aw9D-MAX/ZOTAC GTX470

Eruldan: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7/Asus ENGTX480

Emir_S: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3/Gigabyte GTX-460 768 MB

exale: Asus P5Q-E/Zotac GTX 470

feridek: ASUS P7P55D Pro/Gigabyte GTX 470

firehot: Asus Striker Extreme/Asus 470

FPK: Asus P5N-E SLI/Gainward GTX 460 2 GB

FPK: Asus P5QD Turbo/Gainward GTX 460 2 GB

gasparmx: MSI AMD 890GX/ECS NVIDIA 470 GTX

gecko1001: ECS GF8100VM-M5/Palit GTX 460 768mb

Genetic_Drifter: Asus M3a-h HDMI/MSI Cyclone 460gtx 768D5

germaj: ASUS P6TD Deluxe/Galaxy GTX 460 1024MB

ghling: ASRock 870 Extreme3/gtx 460

handbanana: ASUS M4A89 GTD/MSI GTX 470

Hadesg: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3/Gigabyte GTX470

Happy25: Asus 7p55d/Gainward GTX 460

Happy25: MSI Platinum P965/Gainward GTX 460

HarryMason: Intel (Love Valley P) P965 Viiv Motherboard R0/Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic 2GB

howardt: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/2 EVGA 460's SLI'd

Hyakitaki: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe/EVGA GTX 470

lmaonade80: Gigabyte P55 USB3/Nvidia 465

jandrin: Gigabyte ud5-x58a/2 Gigabyte GTX 460oc 1gb SLI'd

JASHINHUNTER: Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe/EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB 01G-P3-1370

Kackarot00: ASUS P7P55D-E/460gtx (need model)

Kanta: ASRock A785GXH128M/Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 OC Ultra series,1GB GDDR5 (GV-N460OC-1GI) (need model)

Knut_Stanley: Asus M4A88TD-M/Gainward geforce GTX 460 768 MB

Krisiun: ASUS P6X58D-E/PoV GTX 480

KRISS: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro/EVGA GTX 470

Kumite23: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/Gigabyte GV-N460DS-768I-B

m84: ASUS P5B/Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC

maraiel: ASUS P6T/Evga gtx 460

_Mas_: Asus Rampage III Extreme/Asus GTX 480

Masiril85: GA-MA790X-UD4P/MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II

Master_of_Desaster: GA-870A-UD3/Inno3D GTX 470

Megalopsy: Asus Rampage 2 extreme/Galaxy Nvidia480

mikeyzeeee: Asus M3A32-MVP DELUXE/EVGA GTX 460 SC 1gb

mitnite2011: ASUS 780G/EVGA GTX460 1GB SC

mitnite2011: ASUS 785-M/EVGA GTX460 1GB SC

mitnite2011: P35 Shuttle Board/EVGA GTX460 1GB SC

Mix-Master: Gigabyte X58a UD3R/Gigabyte GTX 470 SLI (GV-N470UD-13I)

MMilad: Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R/evga GTX 460 1GB

mopeypilgrim: EVGA X58/EVGA 470 Fermi

MyusernameisME: MSI NF980-G65/Gigabyte GTX 480

nimanouri: Gigabyte X58-UD5/2 x GTX480 SLI'd

nimanouri: Gigabyte X58-UD5/2 x GTX480 SLI'd (need card models)

noobubu: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Socket AM3/Palit XpertVision GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB

noobubu: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Socket AM3/Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Super Overclock 1GB DDR5

Nwik: Asus P5W DH Deluxe/EVGA GTX 460 (with default BIOS settings)

OCY: ASUS P7P55 LX/Galaxy GTX460 1GB DDR5

opiwan: ASUS P6T/EVGA GeForce GTX 480

Overij: ASUS P5QL/ASUS Geforce GTX 460 768MB

overrandom: ASUS p6x58d-Premium/MSI NVidia GTX 480

Oxidation: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3/Gigabyte GTS 450(GV-N450C-1G1)

pirAa: Asrock AM3 890GX/Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 1GB

pisoY: Asus Rampage III Extreme/ 2 MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II SLI'd

pensuke89: ASUS P5N-D SLI/MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 Cyclone 1GB/OC

rdkill: ASUS PT6/PNY 480

Rdouglas_1: GA-MA770T-UD3P/PnY 470

Sagaballa: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula/Gainward GeForce GTX 470

Shinjari: EVGA 680i SE 122-CK-NF63-TR/EVGA 768mb SC Model:768-P3-1362-AR

Snoopy782: Gigabyte x58 ud5/Gigabyte gtx460 1gb oc edition in Sli

Solar804: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (rev1.0)/Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI

source_91: Asus IPIBL-LB/Gigabyte 460 1GB

tayyeb555: ASUS M2N-VM DVI/Zotac Geforce 460 1GB

Tazim: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 / Gainward GTX 460 768mb

TDoyon: ASUS P6X58D-E/EVGA GTX 460

Teiresias: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P/Gigabyte GTX 460

Tekadan: ASUS M4N82 Deluxe/ASUS 465 GTX 1GB

thebizkid: MSI BIG BANG XPOWER X58/MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II

the_prefect: MSI 785GTM-E45/Inno3d GTX460 OC (768MB variant)

thewoozle: Gygabyte MA790x/Gigabyte GTX470

tinhv: EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI3/EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

Tithelix: ASUS P7P55D/Gigabyte GTX 460 1Go OC Edition

trev1976: Asus P5Q-EM/MSI GTX460 Hawk

unleashthepwnies: Asus P6T/Galaxy KFA2 GTX470

vahidpooyan: Asus Rampage II Extreme/3 EVGA GTX 480 SC SLI'd (3-way)

vector-1: DFI P55 MI-T36/gtx480

vector-1: Asus p7p55d/gtx480

vector-1: Asus M4A79 Deluxe/gtx480

vector-1: crosshair iv formula/gtx460 (need model)

Veeshush: ASUS M4A77D/MSI N480GTX Twin Frozr II

Veeshush: ASUS M2N32 SLI-DELUXE/MSI N480GTX Twin Frozr II

Veeshush: ASUS M2N SLI-DELUXE/EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460 (yet I get DCP spikes with this combination)

Veeshush: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2/MSI N480GTX Twin Frozr II (when it does work I found it only runs when the PCI-E16x slot is set at 2x.)

vumeister: ASUS P5Q Deluxe/ASUS ENGTX470

werty316: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P/Gigabyte GV-N460OC-768I

w00ps: Asus P7P55D-Deluxe (bios 1901)/Colorful 465 GTX 1GB

WolfSoul: (adding system soon)

Xen81: Asus P5N-D Nforce 750i/Zotac 460GTX Synergy

YCH: Asus Rampage III Extreme/GTX480

YCH: Asus P5K Deluxe/GTX480 (need model)

Yozo: MSI K9A2 CF/Palit GTX460 768mb

ZenS: Asus P7P55D-E Premium / Gigabyte GTS450 OC 1G

List of boards that do not lockup with Fermi based cards, username/board/card:

997luke: ASUS P6X58D Premium / 3 ASUS GTX 480 SLI'd (3-way)

997luke: ASUS P6X58D-E / 3 ASUS GTX 480 SLI'd (3-way)

Bayzombie: ASUS P6X58D Premium/(2) PNY GTX470 SLI (This means same BIOS, Voltage Settings, OS, Drivers that the original GTX480 was using and would freeze with)

bLuDrGn: eVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 680i SLI/eVGA 1GB GTX 460 SC EE Exhaust

BrendanCysewski: EVGA X58 FTW/EVGA 470 and 480 and a GTX 580 (all working!)

BrendanCysewski: ASUS Sabertooth/EVGA 470 and 480 and a GTX 580 (all working!)

BrendanCysewski: EVGA 750i FTW (LGA 775)/EVGA GTX 470 and 480 (Works!)

bsh: gigabyte ga-m720-us3, rev 1.0, BIOS: F6/gigabyte gv-n460oc-1gi, rev 1.0, BIOS: 70.04.1B.00.02

CowboyTony: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H / Gigabyte GV-N460SO-1GI

cyronn: xfx780i/palitgtx480

DcSys: Asus P7P55D-E PRO/Asus ENGTX465

fmsam: Asus Rampage III Extreme/2 Asus GTX 570s SLI'd

GeForce GTX 580: Gigabyte MA785GPMT-UD2H/Point of View GTX 580

ghling: MSI P35-Neo/gtx 460

Hodgy1971: Asus RE3/Asus GTX 480, WC EK-FC480, Asus GTX 480, WC EK-FC480, EVGA GTX 480, WC EK-FC480 SLI

Ital: MSI P55-CD53/MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB

jaafaman: ASUS P7P55 Workstation Supercomputer/PNY GTX 470, nVidia GTX 460 and nVidia GTS 450

Lordred: Asus M4N98TD EVO AM3/eVGA GTX460 1GB or Galaxy GTX460 1GB

lv_marv: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5/Asus GTX480

mattlach: Shuttle SX85H7/MSI GTX 470 (N470GTX-M2D12-B)

mattlach: Shuttle SX85H7/PNY GTX 580 (VCGGTX580XPB)

MiTz: ASRock A785GMH/Gigabyte GTX460 Super OC

Nwik: Asus P5W DH Deluxe/EVGA GTX 460 (BIOS settings adjusted, Thread)

-{RaptoR}-: Asus R3E/EVGA GTX580SC

-{RaptoR}-: Asus Rampage III Extreme + 2 EVGA GTX580SC SLI'd

-=Ryme=-: EVGA 780i/SLI EVGA GTX480's

SHARKMEAT: ASUS P5N-T Deluxe/EVGA GTX460 SC 1024 EE

sjobeck: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0/Gigabyte GTX 460 (GV-N460OC-1GI) (only worked after BIOS was flashed to FD)

Qazax p6t deluxe/gtx 460's in sli (KFA2 OC)

Veeshush: ASUS M4A77D/EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460

Veeshush: ASUS M4A77D/ Nvidia Reference 480 from ManualG

Veeshush: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2/MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Xavier Zepherios: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L/EVGA GTX570

Zooze: MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp/Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan

If anyone would like to be added/removed, or for me to add something then just reply or send me a private message.

UPDATE 4/28/11

I will keep this post updated

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz. Mainboard: ASUS M4A77D. RAM: 8gb Corsair Dominator @ 800Mhz. Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD. Videocards: MSI GTX 680 Lightning. PSU: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ 1020W (+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@35A, +12V2@35A, +12V3@35A, +12V4@35A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3A)

Posted 12/05/2010 08:58 PM   
Template for better info collection purposes...

Please try to provide as complete and as much useful information as you can (A full page of DXDIAG is NOT useful):
GPU model, part number and clocks (stock and OCed).
Motherboard model, revision and BIOS version.
CPU model and frequency (stock and OCed).
RAM model, capacity, channel(s), timings and frequency (stock and OCed).
Power supply model, total wattage number of 12V rails and each ones amperage.
OS in use.

The following can all be answered by Yes (with a description of what happened) or No.

Do any of the following occur:
Artifacting (pre or post windows loading)?
Repeatable or random freezing (specify when)?
Repeatable or random restarts (specify when)?
Odd POST codes / beeping?
Any odd status in Device Manager (EG CODE43)?

Have you done/tried the following:
Booted to safe mode?
Booted to another OS (EG Ubuntu via a flash drive)?
Used different PSU rail(s)?
Cleared the CMOS / removed the mobo battery for an extended period?
Updated to the latest BIOS?
Taken everything apart and reseated everything?

Have you checked the rest of the system:
Manually confirmed and set ALL BIOS values?
Checked system temps and voltages?
Run MEMTEST86+ through with zero errors?
Tested with only one stick of RAM at relaxed timings and lower frequencies?

And a few more misc questions:
Has the problem ALWAYS happened?
Did something change before the problem first occured?
Intermittent or always there?
Ever OCed the GPU or any other part?
Were anti-static precautions followed during installation?
Template for better info collection purposes...

Please try to provide as complete and as much useful information as you can (A full page of DXDIAG is NOT useful):

GPU model, part number and clocks (stock and OCed).

Motherboard model, revision and BIOS version.

CPU model and frequency (stock and OCed).

RAM model, capacity, channel(s), timings and frequency (stock and OCed).

Power supply model, total wattage number of 12V rails and each ones amperage.

OS in use.

The following can all be answered by Yes (with a description of what happened) or No.

Do any of the following occur:

Artifacting (pre or post windows loading)?

Repeatable or random freezing (specify when)?

Repeatable or random restarts (specify when)?

Odd POST codes / beeping?

Any odd status in Device Manager (EG CODE43)?

Have you done/tried the following:

Booted to safe mode?

Booted to another OS (EG Ubuntu via a flash drive)?

Used different PSU rail(s)?

Cleared the CMOS / removed the mobo battery for an extended period?

Updated to the latest BIOS?

Taken everything apart and reseated everything?

Have you checked the rest of the system:

Manually confirmed and set ALL BIOS values?

Checked system temps and voltages?

Run MEMTEST86+ through with zero errors?

Tested with only one stick of RAM at relaxed timings and lower frequencies?

And a few more misc questions:

Has the problem ALWAYS happened?

Did something change before the problem first occured?

Intermittent or always there?

Ever OCed the GPU or any other part?

Were anti-static precautions followed during installation?
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='05 December 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1291583232' post='1156358']
Another prophet of doom and gloom... yay.

I would suggest you first try removing that X-FI sound card and see how it goes then.
[/quote]
I have tried that, about 2 months ago. I also tried disabling my onboard audio. I've tried everything you can think of. Don't try me.

I'm making this thread to organize the same issue that everyone else is having while listing everything that actually helps on the first post. This way people won't be trying to wade through tons of threads and pages to find solutions, or making more new threads, or wasting their time trying stuff that does not work or help. This thread is the best of the best advice and list of solutions posted so far.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' date='05 December 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1291583232' post='1156358']

Another prophet of doom and gloom... yay.

I would suggest you first try removing that X-FI sound card and see how it goes then.

I have tried that, about 2 months ago. I also tried disabling my onboard audio. I've tried everything you can think of. Don't try me.

I'm making this thread to organize the same issue that everyone else is having while listing everything that actually helps on the first post. This way people won't be trying to wade through tons of threads and pages to find solutions, or making more new threads, or wasting their time trying stuff that does not work or help. This thread is the best of the best advice and list of solutions posted so far.

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz. Mainboard: ASUS M4A77D. RAM: 8gb Corsair Dominator @ 800Mhz. Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD. Videocards: MSI GTX 680 Lightning. PSU: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ 1020W (+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@35A, +12V2@35A, +12V3@35A, +12V4@35A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3A)

Posted 12/05/2010 09:11 PM   
Working just fine here, EVGA video cards working on EVGA mobos.

It does seem like the compatibility issues are probably due to the mobos BIOS not liking the video card BIOS, as the AIBs manages the BIOS, not Nvidia. Nvidia only provides a reference BIOS that AIBs can use.
Working just fine here, EVGA video cards working on EVGA mobos.

It does seem like the compatibility issues are probably due to the mobos BIOS not liking the video card BIOS, as the AIBs manages the BIOS, not Nvidia. Nvidia only provides a reference BIOS that AIBs can use.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 12/05/2010 09:18 PM   
thanks for posting this Veeshush!
this is a great resource for everybody to compare their hardware!

It would be awesome to get some more people posting their mobo/ gtx card combo that works.. (and if it works, how long has it worked)
Then we could group everybody who's having issues, and group everybody who's system is stable.
thanks for posting this Veeshush!

this is a great resource for everybody to compare their hardware!

It would be awesome to get some more people posting their mobo/ gtx card combo that works.. (and if it works, how long has it worked)

Then we could group everybody who's having issues, and group everybody who's system is stable.

Posted 12/05/2010 10:28 PM   
I have the same problem with a MSI AMD 890GX motherboard and ECS NVIDIA 470 GTX, crash randomly, can't even start windows, crash in bios.
I have the same problem with a MSI AMD 890GX motherboard and ECS NVIDIA 470 GTX, crash randomly, can't even start windows, crash in bios.

Posted 12/05/2010 10:29 PM   
Anyone having this issue, for a temporary fix, try uninstalling all Nvidia drivers.
Restart using microsoft's standard VGA drivers, and see if your system will hold stable.
Mine has been stable now all day. I can watch movies and youtube, just can't play games or anything..
Anyone having this issue, for a temporary fix, try uninstalling all Nvidia drivers.

Restart using microsoft's standard VGA drivers, and see if your system will hold stable.

Mine has been stable now all day. I can watch movies and youtube, just can't play games or anything..

Posted 12/05/2010 10:33 PM   
hellyeah! thats what im talking about! im in!! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />
hellyeah! thats what im talking about! im in!! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

FORGET. WE SHALL NOT.

MB: MSI BIG BANG XPOWER X58

CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 3800

VGA: ASUS ENGTX570

RAM: Tri-Channel 12GB Kingston HYPERX @ 1600Mhz

Cooler: Corsair H80 LCS [Scythe GTs modified]

Soundcard: QuantumWave PCI-e

HDD: Corsair ForceGT 120G SATA3 / SG MomentusXT 750G SATA3 / WD 1TB SATA3 / SG Barracuda's 1TB/1TB/500G SATA2

PSU: TT TOUGHPOWER 850W

Posted 12/05/2010 10:36 PM   
[quote name='c0d3ster' date='05 December 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1291588394' post='1156390']
[/quote]

I try uninstalling NVIDIA drivers but crash anyway after a while.
[quote name='c0d3ster' date='05 December 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1291588394' post='1156390']

I try uninstalling NVIDIA drivers but crash anyway after a while.

Posted 12/05/2010 10:39 PM   
If you're also compiling a list of the combos that [i][b]work[/b][/i] so they can be tracked, then place the ASUS P7P55 Workstation Supercomputer on it as working with a PNY GTX 470, nVidia GTX 460 and nVidia GTS 450...

[img]http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pXUM38x2jn46nB8mfCzNbZQkpfNnjNLNwCnOKXvRuqF9euHk5_7IK0AiJVqV0WFxIar_SHf-63XmFk1-03jSroA/cards.png[/img]

If you're also compiling a list of the combos that work so they can be tracked, then place the ASUS P7P55 Workstation Supercomputer on it as working with a PNY GTX 470, nVidia GTX 460 and nVidia GTS 450...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 12/05/2010 11:19 PM   
Throw me in the working pile also.

Asus R3E, EVGA GTX580SC, EVGA GTX275SC
Yeah, I will be making a "Working boards" list too. Thanks for listing your boards and cards.

Goes for anyone else too, if your card works please list what mainboard you're using it on and your card brand and model.

/thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

EDIT

Wow, I'm up to 57 people so far that have had issues. Sort of noticing a few boards that have been listed more than once too.

Also, I added your card model Kumite23, thanks!
Yeah, I will be making a "Working boards" list too. Thanks for listing your boards and cards.

Goes for anyone else too, if your card works please list what mainboard you're using it on and your card brand and model.

/thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

EDIT

Wow, I'm up to 57 people so far that have had issues. Sort of noticing a few boards that have been listed more than once too.

Also, I added your card model Kumite23, thanks!

Posted 12/05/2010 11:31 PM   
I'm in too(but I'd like to get out from this club, sry guys :D )!
- You needed my model:Gigabyte GV-N460DS-768I-B
- Unisntalling drivers dont solve it, i tried, but my system is stable now somehow, with driver.

It freezed at welcome, but i can login in safemode, so i disabled in services the 3D stereoscopic driver and NVIDIA driver helper(all was connected to NVIDIA), + Windows defender + uninstalled NOD32(using COMODO now). Now I get instant login at welcome screen, but also got a few freezes at desktop(not in games or video). My bIOS is at default settings.
I got messages too, they have 2 types: Bug check code:116 - VIDEO_TDR_ERROR; Bug check code:117 - VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
Did somebody get messages too? Try this: [url]http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.zip[/url]
I couldnt find working solution, but maybe you guys have more luck /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
I'm in too(but I'd like to get out from this club, sry guys :D )!

- You needed my model:Gigabyte GV-N460DS-768I-B

- Unisntalling drivers dont solve it, i tried, but my system is stable now somehow, with driver.

It freezed at welcome, but i can login in safemode, so i disabled in services the 3D stereoscopic driver and NVIDIA driver helper(all was connected to NVIDIA), + Windows defender + uninstalled NOD32(using COMODO now). Now I get instant login at welcome screen, but also got a few freezes at desktop(not in games or video). My bIOS is at default settings.

I got messages too, they have 2 types: Bug check code:116 - VIDEO_TDR_ERROR; Bug check code:117 - VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

Did somebody get messages too? Try this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.zip

I couldnt find working solution, but maybe you guys have more luck /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 12/05/2010 11:44 PM   
Hi all, first of all thank you for this post.. I have been on this problem since september when i bought my first 480.
Been using 295 before without any problems for like a year and a half.
Then with the new card problems started happening after a couple of days till the point when any nvidia drivers where in stalled i could not go further then the windows 7 64x login screen. ( Image freeze).
I then started my search for fixing the problem the first time with no solution so RMA the card got a new card and now having same problems only the card freezes on random moments, mostly ingame. Background programs like skype still working its just the image thats frozen.Bug check code:117 - VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
also a commong thing. Been on w7forums trying to find solutions and just now been trough ANOTHER format and the problem persists.
My system works perfect with 295, 8800 and ati 5770. SO im 100% sure my rig is fine.
So pls put me on the list :p im so desperate

Galaxy Nvidia480 // Asus Rampage 2 extreme // BE QUIET dark power pro 1200w PSU
Hi all, first of all thank you for this post.. I have been on this problem since september when i bought my first 480.

Been using 295 before without any problems for like a year and a half.

Then with the new card problems started happening after a couple of days till the point when any nvidia drivers where in stalled i could not go further then the windows 7 64x login screen. ( Image freeze).

I then started my search for fixing the problem the first time with no solution so RMA the card got a new card and now having same problems only the card freezes on random moments, mostly ingame. Background programs like skype still working its just the image thats frozen.Bug check code:117 - VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

also a commong thing. Been on w7forums trying to find solutions and just now been trough ANOTHER format and the problem persists.

My system works perfect with 295, 8800 and ati 5770. SO im 100% sure my rig is fine.

So pls put me on the list :p im so desperate

Galaxy Nvidia480 // Asus Rampage 2 extreme // BE QUIET dark power pro 1200w PSU

Posted 12/06/2010 12:52 AM   
I'm also wondering if it would be of benefit to list the system's PSU...
I'm also wondering if it would be of benefit to list the system's PSU...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 12/06/2010 12:57 AM   
  1 / 147    
Scroll To Top