Cant get 5.1 audio over HDMI
  1 / 6    
I have a GeForce GT 220 and I am trying to get it to output 5.1 suround sound over HDMI. on its product page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_220_us.html under Overview->features it says it supports 7.1 audio output. But I cant get it to do anything other than 2.0.

My setup is as follows:
[GeForce GT 220]---HDMI---[Toshiba HDTV]---S/PDIF---[5.1 Audio Receiver]

I have tested the same setup using my laptop's Geforce 8400M GS and it worked perfectly.

The system with the GeForce GT 220 has onboard S/PDIF optical out. If I use that the 5.1 audio works just fine. But I would really like for the 5.1 surround sound to go over the HDMI.

I can't seem to figure out why this would not work; the card supports it (see above link) and I know the TV and receiver work because of my laptop.

NOTE: On my laptop when using the 5,1 over HDMI the audio output device according to windows 7 is "Realtek Digital Output", on the desktop with the 220 it is "TOSHIBA-TV-1 (Nvidia High Definition Audio)"

Any suggestions/ideas/help?
I have a GeForce GT 220 and I am trying to get it to output 5.1 suround sound over HDMI. on its product page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_220_us.html under Overview->features it says it supports 7.1 audio output. But I cant get it to do anything other than 2.0.

My setup is as follows:

[GeForce GT 220]---HDMI---[Toshiba HDTV]---S/PDIF---[5.1 Audio Receiver]

I have tested the same setup using my laptop's Geforce 8400M GS and it worked perfectly.

The system with the GeForce GT 220 has onboard S/PDIF optical out. If I use that the 5.1 audio works just fine. But I would really like for the 5.1 surround sound to go over the HDMI.

I can't seem to figure out why this would not work; the card supports it (see above link) and I know the TV and receiver work because of my laptop.

NOTE: On my laptop when using the 5,1 over HDMI the audio output device according to windows 7 is "Realtek Digital Output", on the desktop with the 220 it is "TOSHIBA-TV-1 (Nvidia High Definition Audio)"

Any suggestions/ideas/help?

Posted 11/29/2010 05:04 AM   
I have exactly the same problem, asus board with via audio chipset, gtx260 connected to the board, dvi->hdmi connected to my philips tv -> philips tv connected to my yamaha amp. Only Stereo Sound and no 5.1. The Optical out of my board works fine but in this configuration (less cables, less buttons to push on the remote control so the lady can get it to work /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />) only stereo :(

Maybe someone here has any advice?
I have exactly the same problem, asus board with via audio chipset, gtx260 connected to the board, dvi->hdmi connected to my philips tv -> philips tv connected to my yamaha amp. Only Stereo Sound and no 5.1. The Optical out of my board works fine but in this configuration (less cables, less buttons to push on the remote control so the lady can get it to work /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />) only stereo :(

Maybe someone here has any advice?

Posted 12/09/2010 03:17 PM   
This unfortunately is by design. Your HDTV has an internal EDID which tells our graphics card what video and audio modes it supports. Currently it is telling our graphics card that it supports stereo only so we are sending stereo. I am trying to get the driver team to allow the user to override the audio settings similar to how you would do it on a consumer elecronic device (ie blu-ray player, Playstation 3,etc.).
This unfortunately is by design. Your HDTV has an internal EDID which tells our graphics card what video and audio modes it supports. Currently it is telling our graphics card that it supports stereo only so we are sending stereo. I am trying to get the driver team to allow the user to override the audio settings similar to how you would do it on a consumer elecronic device (ie blu-ray player, Playstation 3,etc.).

We can't fix your bug if we can't reproduce it. Please provide as much details as possible including specs, steps to reproduce, graphics settings used, etc..

For GeForce driver issues, please leave feedback in driver feedback form: Driver Feedback

For SHIELD Tablet issues/requests, please leave feedback in the SHIELD Tablet feedback form: SHIELD Tablet Feedback

For SHIELD Android TV issues/requests, please leave feedback in the SHIELD feedback form: SHIELD Feedback

I am also available on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/manuelguzman

Posted 12/14/2010 12:20 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='14 December 2010 - 04:20 AM' timestamp='1292329231' post='1160722']
[/quote]

OK, that makes sense, but then why does it work just find using my laptop's HDMI connection?

Thanks!
[quote name='ManuelG' date='14 December 2010 - 04:20 AM' timestamp='1292329231' post='1160722']

OK, that makes sense, but then why does it work just find using my laptop's HDMI connection?

Thanks!

Posted 12/15/2010 06:02 AM   
[indent][quote name='ManuelG' date='14 December 2010 - 06:20 AM' timestamp='1292329231' post='1160722']
[/quote][/indent]

I am having the same problem.

What you are saying ManuelG, makes sense.
My system only recognizes "stereo" under playback device 'Sony AVAMP-1'(Sony STR-DA4300ES receiver).
I was able to get the graphics card to recognize the correct modes once by re-plugging in the HDMI cable, 7.1 worked great.
Once the system was rebooted, the playback device channels went back to "stereo". I've been unable to get the correct modes to show up since.

ManuelG,
Expediting this would be greatly appreciated!!

My system:
GA-P55A-UD4P, i7, 8G RAM
Realtek ALC889 codec
nVidia GeForce 470 GTX
HDMI --> Sony STR-DA4300ES receiver
[indent][quote name='ManuelG' date='14 December 2010 - 06:20 AM' timestamp='1292329231' post='1160722']

[/indent]

I am having the same problem.

What you are saying ManuelG, makes sense.

My system only recognizes "stereo" under playback device 'Sony AVAMP-1'(Sony STR-DA4300ES receiver).

I was able to get the graphics card to recognize the correct modes once by re-plugging in the HDMI cable, 7.1 worked great.

Once the system was rebooted, the playback device channels went back to "stereo". I've been unable to get the correct modes to show up since.

ManuelG,

Expediting this would be greatly appreciated!!

My system:

GA-P55A-UD4P, i7, 8G RAM

Realtek ALC889 codec

nVidia GeForce 470 GTX

HDMI --> Sony STR-DA4300ES receiver

Posted 12/20/2010 02:21 AM   
I have some more information....

If I leave the TV OFF, the nVidia driver recognizes the correct settings for my receiver.
Speakers:
Stereo, Quadraphonic, Surround, 5.1, and 7.1

Max Number of Channels: 8
HDCP: 16-Bit
Bit Depth: 24-Bit

Sample Rates:
44.1kHz, 48.0kHz, 96.0kHz, and 192kHz
Encoded Formats:
DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.

When I turn on the TV, the driver detects a device change and I see the following:
Speakers:
Stereo

Max Number of Channels: 2
HDCP: Supported
Bit Depth: 16-Bit

Sample Rates:
44.1kHz, 48.0kHz
Encoded Formats:
No compressed formats found.

[b]My Solution:[/b]
In my receiver settings I found 'HDMI Audio' set to 'TV+AMP'. When the TV was turned ON, this setting was causing the nVidia driver to detect the TV EDID(through the receiver) and ignore the receivers EDID.
[b]When I changed 'HDMI Audio' to 'AMP', the nVidia driver recognized the AMP EDID(only) and everything work great![/b]

It would be nice if the driver could be setup in a different mode where settings could be locked and only detected upon the user request.

[size="1"]
Video: 257.21

Win 7 64-bit Enterprise
GA-P55A-UD4P (Realtek ALC889 codec)
Intel i7, 8G RAM
620 Gig WD HDD
1000 Gig WD HDD
620W Corsair PSU
nVidia GeForce 470 GTX
HDMI --> Sony STR-DA4300ES receiver --> 50" Panasonic TV
DVI --> Asus 24"[/size]
I have some more information....

If I leave the TV OFF, the nVidia driver recognizes the correct settings for my receiver.

Speakers:

Stereo, Quadraphonic, Surround, 5.1, and 7.1

Max Number of Channels: 8

HDCP: 16-Bit

Bit Depth: 24-Bit

Sample Rates:

44.1kHz, 48.0kHz, 96.0kHz, and 192kHz

Encoded Formats:

DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.

When I turn on the TV, the driver detects a device change and I see the following:

Speakers:

Stereo

Max Number of Channels: 2

HDCP: Supported

Bit Depth: 16-Bit

Sample Rates:

44.1kHz, 48.0kHz

Encoded Formats:

No compressed formats found.

My Solution:

In my receiver settings I found 'HDMI Audio' set to 'TV+AMP'. When the TV was turned ON, this setting was causing the nVidia driver to detect the TV EDID(through the receiver) and ignore the receivers EDID.

When I changed 'HDMI Audio' to 'AMP', the nVidia driver recognized the AMP EDID(only) and everything work great!

It would be nice if the driver could be setup in a different mode where settings could be locked and only detected upon the user request.

I tried multiple version of drivers including:

Video: 260.99 HD audio: 1.1.9.0 (Currently using)

Video: 258.96 HD audio: 1.0.15.0

Video: 257.21

Win 7 64-bit Enterprise

GA-P55A-UD4P (Realtek ALC889 codec)

Intel i7, 8G RAM

620 Gig WD HDD

1000 Gig WD HDD

620W Corsair PSU

nVidia GeForce 470 GTX

HDMI --> Sony STR-DA4300ES receiver --> 50" Panasonic TV

DVI --> Asus 24"

Posted 12/21/2010 12:21 AM   
[/quote]

I had a PNY 9600GSO (with only DVI) for couple years. The audio (DD and DTS) was working fine with SPDIF from the MB soundcard (Realtek ALC883 support 8-ch HD Audio):
[(PNY 9600GSO DVI) and (SPDIF)] >>>>[Denon AVR989]>>>>[Pany HDTV] ------------- DD/DTS
Last month I bought the eVGA 240GT in order to take the advantage of HDMI output which can stream the lossless audio and eliminate the extra cable for SPDIF. But the audio output is only 2.1, no sound at all from surround speakers, regardless the denon AVR989 display of 5.1 channel input
[eVGA 240GT HDMI] >>>>[Denon AVR989]>>>>[Pany HDTV] ------------------------ 2.1
I tried everything but It still doesn’t work: uninstalled / reinstalled the newest drivers of nvidia and Realtek, config the speakers, HDMI settings on AVR …
I guess the problem is from 240GT built-in sound card.
I think I have to return the 240GT and put back the 9600GSO.
Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.

I had a PNY 9600GSO (with only DVI) for couple years. The audio (DD and DTS) was working fine with SPDIF from the MB soundcard (Realtek ALC883 support 8-ch HD Audio):

[(PNY 9600GSO DVI) and (SPDIF)] >>>>[Denon AVR989]>>>>[Pany HDTV] ------------- DD/DTS

Last month I bought the eVGA 240GT in order to take the advantage of HDMI output which can stream the lossless audio and eliminate the extra cable for SPDIF. But the audio output is only 2.1, no sound at all from surround speakers, regardless the denon AVR989 display of 5.1 channel input

[eVGA 240GT HDMI] >>>>[Denon AVR989]>>>>[Pany HDTV] ------------------------ 2.1

I tried everything but It still doesn’t work: uninstalled / reinstalled the newest drivers of nvidia and Realtek, config the speakers, HDMI settings on AVR …

I guess the problem is from 240GT built-in sound card.

I think I have to return the 240GT and put back the 9600GSO.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.

Posted 12/23/2010 04:13 PM   
This is driving me insane. I have a GTX 295 from MSI. It has two dual link DVIs. I want to use the pass through audio over the DVI to HDMI dongle but no setting that I can figure out has worked. I connected the orange and black cable to the right jumpers on the motherboard and I then there's no help as what to do from there. I don't know what settings to do for the realtek audio manager, etc. Right now I just have it connected to my Samsung DLP HDTV. I know that it doesn't support bitstream so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. Thing is, I will be using this as my HTPC to a reciever and it would be nice if I could at least get this working. Any help would be awesome.
This is driving me insane. I have a GTX 295 from MSI. It has two dual link DVIs. I want to use the pass through audio over the DVI to HDMI dongle but no setting that I can figure out has worked. I connected the orange and black cable to the right jumpers on the motherboard and I then there's no help as what to do from there. I don't know what settings to do for the realtek audio manager, etc. Right now I just have it connected to my Samsung DLP HDTV. I know that it doesn't support bitstream so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. Thing is, I will be using this as my HTPC to a reciever and it would be nice if I could at least get this working. Any help would be awesome.

Posted 12/24/2010 08:37 AM   
[quote name='ImmortalJman' date='24 December 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1293179876' post='1165694']
[/quote]

I’ve done the pass thru audio over DVI on the PNY 9600GSO. The digital audio (SPDIF) from MB to the videocard:
- Find the 3-pin SPDIF connector on the MB (AUDIO OUT – 5Volts – GROUND) . You can look it up in the MB manual)
- Find the 2-pin Audio IN connector on the VideoCard (make sure which pin is GROUND, you can use an ohm meter to test it)
- Connect 2 pins ( Audio Out and Ground) of SPDIF, not using the 5V pin, to 2pins (Audio In and Ground) of the VideoCard. You can make this cable yourself if you have some old audio cables used for DVD/CD drives. You can interchange the pins (use exacto knife) to match with your MB SPDIF pins layout.
- Some DVI-to-HDMI dongles don’t passthru audio signal so I bought a DVI-HDMI cable , only couple bucks.
- Then goto ControlPanel ---Sound, select “SPDIF” or “Realtek Digtal” as the “Defaut device”
I don’t know your GTX 295 if it has buil-in an audio card. If it has and you install the new nvidia (260.99) driver in which it includes the nvidia audio driver, it will automatically passthru the digital audio to your videocard connector, and it “shutdowns” the MB SPDIF signal. I just played with those last night. So you should try this first with the DVI-HDMI cable to your HDTV.
I hope it helps.
Someway, somehow, and may be my mistakes and ignorance … to cry out about my 240GT produces only 2.1 audio output to the receiver…. It’s now working great…. but the uncompress, lossless audio.
[quote name='ImmortalJman' date='24 December 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1293179876' post='1165694']

I’ve done the pass thru audio over DVI on the PNY 9600GSO. The digital audio (SPDIF) from MB to the videocard:

- Find the 3-pin SPDIF connector on the MB (AUDIO OUT – 5Volts – GROUND) . You can look it up in the MB manual)

- Find the 2-pin Audio IN connector on the VideoCard (make sure which pin is GROUND, you can use an ohm meter to test it)

- Connect 2 pins ( Audio Out and Ground) of SPDIF, not using the 5V pin, to 2pins (Audio In and Ground) of the VideoCard. You can make this cable yourself if you have some old audio cables used for DVD/CD drives. You can interchange the pins (use exacto knife) to match with your MB SPDIF pins layout.

- Some DVI-to-HDMI dongles don’t passthru audio signal so I bought a DVI-HDMI cable , only couple bucks.

- Then goto ControlPanel ---Sound, select “SPDIF” or “Realtek Digtal” as the “Defaut device”

I don’t know your GTX 295 if it has buil-in an audio card. If it has and you install the new nvidia (260.99) driver in which it includes the nvidia audio driver, it will automatically passthru the digital audio to your videocard connector, and it “shutdowns” the MB SPDIF signal. I just played with those last night. So you should try this first with the DVI-HDMI cable to your HDTV.

I hope it helps.

Someway, somehow, and may be my mistakes and ignorance … to cry out about my 240GT produces only 2.1 audio output to the receiver…. It’s now working great…. but the uncompress, lossless audio.

Posted 12/24/2010 08:59 PM   
[/quote]

I've just spent a lot of wasted time with EVGA technical support, as recommended by nvidia.

I have this problem with an EVGA GT 240. I followed the instructions at http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2593&p_created=1270025972&p_sid=d69NmHik&p_lva=2505&p_li=&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MiZwX2NhdHM9NjEmcF9wdj0xLjImcF9jdj0xLjYxJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1IRCBhdWRpbyBIRE1J

Since the GT 240's only audio output is the HDMI, how am I going to get 5.1 as promised?

HTPC: [i]Foxconn A74ML-K 3.0 AM3 AMD 740G; EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR GeForce GT 240 Superclocked 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP; Hauppauge HVR-2250 dual tuner; AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor; Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600); SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified; SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified; Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit; Toshiba 47LX196; Yamaha RX-V795; Windows media center.[/i]

HTPC»⋯[HDMI]⋯>Toshiba 47LX196(television)»⋯[optical cable]⋯>Yamaha RX-V795(receiver)

This only does not work with the HTPC, it works with satellite dish, Sony PS3, and Blu-ray, HD-DVD, & DVD players ― all 5.1

BTW ⋯ It might be a good idea for nvidia to clue EVGA in, the only thing they know for sure is it's not their fault.

And… Same hardware running Mythtv 0.23 or 0.24 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit with nvidia proprietary video drivers as HTPC perfectly transmits 5.1 to the television and then to the receiver.

I've just spent a lot of wasted time with EVGA technical support, as recommended by nvidia.

I have this problem with an EVGA GT 240. I followed the instructions at http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2593&p_created=1270025972&p_sid=d69NmHik&p_lva=2505&p_li=&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MiZwX2NhdHM9NjEmcF9wdj0xLjImcF9jdj0xLjYxJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1IRCBhdWRpbyBIRE1J

Since the GT 240's only audio output is the HDMI, how am I going to get 5.1 as promised?

HTPC: Foxconn A74ML-K 3.0 AM3 AMD 740G; EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR GeForce GT 240 Superclocked 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP; Hauppauge HVR-2250 dual tuner; AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor; Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600); SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified; SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified; Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit; Toshiba 47LX196; Yamaha RX-V795; Windows media center.

HTPC»⋯[HDMI]⋯>Toshiba 47LX196(television)»⋯[optical cable]⋯>Yamaha RX-V795(receiver)

This only does not work with the HTPC, it works with satellite dish, Sony PS3, and Blu-ray, HD-DVD, & DVD players ― all 5.1

BTW ⋯ It might be a good idea for nvidia to clue EVGA in, the only thing they know for sure is it's not their fault.

And… Same hardware running Mythtv 0.23 or 0.24 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit with nvidia proprietary video drivers as HTPC perfectly transmits 5.1 to the television and then to the receiver.

Posted 12/29/2010 11:56 PM   
I've got a couple of questions
How can I find out if and when drivers to fix this problem will be released?
Why does my similar post have over 6000 views(seems a bit high) and this one have zero-seems a bit low?
I've got a couple of questions

How can I find out if and when drivers to fix this problem will be released?

Why does my similar post have over 6000 views(seems a bit high) and this one have zero-seems a bit low?

Posted 12/30/2010 12:49 AM   
keepitsimpleengr, The article you linked to linked to this page which I find very useful: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2796&p_sid=wzcnDMik

That page basically says all of our graphics cards can output 5.1 audio or higher. The issue seems to be that since the TVs that we plug our HDMI outputs have stereo built in speakers, the graphics card is only sending two channels of audio to it; even if there is a surround system connected from the TV's SPDIF.

We need a way to tell the graphics card to output the full 5.1 (or higher) audio over HDMI even though the TV says it only has two speakers (which we aren't using anyways)

I would guess that this would be a very common setup for most users, so I don't know how they could leave this out.
keepitsimpleengr, The article you linked to linked to this page which I find very useful: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2796&p_sid=wzcnDMik

That page basically says all of our graphics cards can output 5.1 audio or higher. The issue seems to be that since the TVs that we plug our HDMI outputs have stereo built in speakers, the graphics card is only sending two channels of audio to it; even if there is a surround system connected from the TV's SPDIF.

We need a way to tell the graphics card to output the full 5.1 (or higher) audio over HDMI even though the TV says it only has two speakers (which we aren't using anyways)

I would guess that this would be a very common setup for most users, so I don't know how they could leave this out.

Posted 12/30/2010 02:03 AM   
[quote name='mrlanrat' date='29 December 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1293674636' post='1168276']⋯I would guess that this would be a very common setup for most users, so I don't know how they could leave this out.⋯
[/quote]

Not to mention that it's the way nvidia tells us they should be connected.
[quote name='mrlanrat' date='29 December 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1293674636' post='1168276']⋯I would guess that this would be a very common setup for most users, so I don't know how they could leave this out.⋯

Not to mention that it's the way nvidia tells us they should be connected.

Posted 12/30/2010 05:02 PM   
I suffer the same problem (although I own a GTS450) and I'd like to know if there's any hint that the driver team will come up with an "override EDID audio info" on next set of drivers. Maybe ManuelG can help on this?
I suffer the same problem (although I own a GTS450) and I'd like to know if there's any hint that the driver team will come up with an "override EDID audio info" on next set of drivers. Maybe ManuelG can help on this?

Posted 01/28/2011 10:49 AM   
well, I did get dolby digital coming out when using dvi to hdmi to my TV, but it only works with power dvd. There is an option in the software that allow spdif for the sound, and my receiver recognized dolby digital right away. Now, for what I could gather on the net, it says that when you use the little spdif cable from the motherboard to the video card, it outputs in stereo only...so why can one software manage to output spdif correctly but not windows and the games.
well, I did get dolby digital coming out when using dvi to hdmi to my TV, but it only works with power dvd. There is an option in the software that allow spdif for the sound, and my receiver recognized dolby digital right away. Now, for what I could gather on the net, it says that when you use the little spdif cable from the motherboard to the video card, it outputs in stereo only...so why can one software manage to output spdif correctly but not windows and the games.

Posted 01/28/2011 01:03 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top