Cant get 5.1 audio over HDMI
  6 / 6    
Use the window's drivers, it worked for me. Start by entering the Device Manager and finding your audio driver as if you were updating it. Right-click the driver and choose Update driver software… to see several update options. Select Browse my computer for driver software, then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. This will bring up a list which will include High Definition Audio Device. This is the generic Windows 10 driver. Select and install it, to see if this restores your sound. Just changed the Nvidia Hdmi one i was using and it worked. this came from here;http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/audio-issues-silencing-your-windows-10-experience-heres-the-fix/
Use the window's drivers, it worked for me.

Start by entering the Device Manager and finding your audio driver as if you were updating it. Right-click the driver and choose Update driver software… to see several update options. Select Browse my computer for driver software, then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. This will bring up a list which will include High Definition Audio Device. This is the generic Windows 10 driver. Select and install it, to see if this restores your sound.

Just changed the Nvidia Hdmi one i was using and it worked. this came from here;http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/audio-issues-silencing-your-windows-10-experience-heres-the-fix/

Posted 04/03/2017 03:41 AM   
I really hoped that just changing the driver would work for me. Unfortunately still only stereo from my speakers.. The way I've connected my system is pc>hdmi to philips tv>optical audio from tv to pioneer receiver. And I've just got my new nvidia to update from my old one, I can now watch beautiful 4k movies with stereo.. When i set up the speakers in windows I only see "Stereo". I know that that works for some, worked for me before but my reciever does not change to right input anyway. Guess I'll have to live with changing to "pro logic ii" for now.
I really hoped that just changing the driver would work for me.
Unfortunately still only stereo from my speakers..

The way I've connected my system is pc>hdmi to philips tv>optical audio from tv to pioneer receiver.
And I've just got my new nvidia to update from my old one, I can now watch beautiful 4k movies with stereo..

When i set up the speakers in windows I only see "Stereo". I know that that works for some, worked for me before but my reciever does not change to right input anyway.

Guess I'll have to live with changing to "pro logic ii" for now.

Posted 04/04/2017 08:26 PM   
whoosh.1.2, thanks a lot for your solution! Worked fine here, I changed in my receiver settings 'HDMI Audio' from'TV+AMP' to 'AMP' and 7.1 sound worked with GeForce 980 GTXjavascript:void();
whoosh.1.2, thanks a lot for your solution! Worked fine here, I changed in my receiver settings 'HDMI Audio' from'TV+AMP' to 'AMP' and 7.1 sound worked with GeForce 980 GTXjavascript:void();

Posted 06/28/2017 08:38 PM   
I have same issue but with a twist. PC running Win 8.1 with GTX 1050 Ti. I'm connected directly to TV (OLED65C7P) via hdmi and then on to LG soundbar (SH7B) via hdmi ARC. In this setup, even though TV EDID shows surround formats (PCM, AC3, DD+, DTS) are accepted, only "stereo" appears in the Windows Sound configuration options. But when I run standard surround test files (AC3, DD+, DTS) I get very clear distinction of 5 channels (also subwoofer) out of the soundbar. And the TV on-screen info is showing audio passing through as "Dolby Digital" when Dolby encoded sources are played back (either via Windows Media Center on PC or standalone blu-ray player). So, even though windows allows only stereo configuration it appears it is actually sending out the surround sound data through the TV to the soundbar over hdmi! Don't know if this behavior is specific to 2017 LG TVs and soundbars. I just upgraded to the 4K TV two weeks ago and the previous setup was PC to receiver to older Panasonic plasma TV (via hdmi 1.4) and sound out of the receiver was to a Polk 5.1 soundbar with separate 5 + 1 speaker inputs. All surround processing handled by receiver and Windows configuration always gave me several surround sound options.
I have same issue but with a twist. PC running Win 8.1 with GTX 1050 Ti. I'm connected directly to TV (OLED65C7P) via hdmi and then on to LG soundbar (SH7B) via hdmi ARC.

In this setup, even though TV EDID shows surround formats (PCM, AC3, DD+, DTS) are accepted, only "stereo" appears in the Windows Sound configuration options. But when I run standard surround test files (AC3, DD+, DTS) I get very clear distinction of 5 channels (also subwoofer) out of the soundbar. And the TV on-screen info is showing audio passing through as "Dolby Digital" when Dolby encoded sources are played back (either via Windows Media Center on PC or standalone blu-ray player).

So, even though windows allows only stereo configuration it appears it is actually sending out the surround sound data through the TV to the soundbar over hdmi!

Don't know if this behavior is specific to 2017 LG TVs and soundbars. I just upgraded to the 4K TV two weeks ago and the previous setup was PC to receiver to older Panasonic plasma TV (via hdmi 1.4) and sound out of the receiver was to a Polk 5.1 soundbar with separate 5 + 1 speaker inputs. All surround processing handled by receiver and Windows configuration always gave me several surround sound options.

Posted 06/30/2017 08:50 PM   
Hi everybody, I ve been looking all night long to get a f***** solution. I read all your post and this stupid windows still allowed only stéréo. I got a new 4K LG OLED tv which is connect by Optical to a Bose Soundbar. [quote="atlupo"]I have same issue but with a twist. PC running Win 8.1 with GTX 1050 Ti. I'm connected directly to TV (OLED65C7P) via hdmi and then on to LG soundbar (SH7B) via hdmi ARC. In this setup, even though TV EDID shows surround formats (PCM, AC3, DD+, DTS) are accepted, only "stereo" appears in the Windows Sound configuration options. But when I run standard surround test files (AC3, DD+, DTS) I get very clear distinction of 5 channels (also subwoofer) out of the soundbar. And the TV on-screen info is showing audio passing through as "Dolby Digital" when Dolby encoded sources are played back (either via Windows Media Center on PC or standalone blu-ray player). So, even though windows allows only stereo configuration it appears it is actually sending out the surround sound data through the TV to the soundbar over hdmi! Don't know if this behavior is specific to 2017 LG TVs and soundbars. I just upgraded to the 4K TV two weeks ago and the previous setup was PC to receiver to older Panasonic plasma TV (via hdmi 1.4) and sound out of the receiver was to a Polk 5.1 soundbar with separate 5 + 1 speaker inputs. All surround processing handled by receiver and Windows configuration always gave me several surround sound options.[/quote] I try to put some 5.1 file on VLC but i can't have a 5 different sound on speaker. I m so desesperate. That is just crazy that invidia don't update is drive.
Hi everybody,

I ve been looking all night long to get a f***** solution. I read all your post and this stupid windows still allowed only stéréo.

I got a new 4K LG OLED tv which is connect by Optical to a Bose Soundbar.

atlupo said:I have same issue but with a twist. PC running Win 8.1 with GTX 1050 Ti. I'm connected directly to TV (OLED65C7P) via hdmi and then on to LG soundbar (SH7B) via hdmi ARC.

In this setup, even though TV EDID shows surround formats (PCM, AC3, DD+, DTS) are accepted, only "stereo" appears in the Windows Sound configuration options. But when I run standard surround test files (AC3, DD+, DTS) I get very clear distinction of 5 channels (also subwoofer) out of the soundbar. And the TV on-screen info is showing audio passing through as "Dolby Digital" when Dolby encoded sources are played back (either via Windows Media Center on PC or standalone blu-ray player).

So, even though windows allows only stereo configuration it appears it is actually sending out the surround sound data through the TV to the soundbar over hdmi!

Don't know if this behavior is specific to 2017 LG TVs and soundbars. I just upgraded to the 4K TV two weeks ago and the previous setup was PC to receiver to older Panasonic plasma TV (via hdmi 1.4) and sound out of the receiver was to a Polk 5.1 soundbar with separate 5 + 1 speaker inputs. All surround processing handled by receiver and Windows configuration always gave me several surround sound options.

I try to put some 5.1 file on VLC but i can't have a 5 different sound on speaker.

I m so desesperate.

That is just crazy that invidia don't update is drive.

Posted 08/16/2017 11:45 PM   
I have the same problem it's driving me nuts. Can't get 5.1 to work.
I have the same problem it's driving me nuts. Can't get 5.1 to work.

Posted 08/28/2017 05:18 AM   
I had the same problem and solved it also by changing (on my SONY AV Receiver) HDMI.OUT from TV+AMP to AMP. After that, I restarted my desktop PC connected to the receiver via HDMI (and the TV is also connected to the receiver via HDMI). Now configure sound on PC shows 5.1, 7.1 settings. 7.1 worked well for me even though I only have 6.1 speakers :)) By the way, my 65 inch TV has just 2 built-in speakers. By disassociating the SONY receiver sound from the TV means that even if my TV volume is not set to zero, the two speakers won't make a sound to mess up my 6.1 sound. And if I view programs on TV from antenna I have stereo sound without adjusting volume !!!
I had the same problem and solved it also by changing (on my SONY AV Receiver)
HDMI.OUT from TV+AMP to AMP. After that, I restarted my desktop PC connected to
the receiver via HDMI (and the TV is also connected to the receiver via HDMI). Now
configure sound on PC shows 5.1, 7.1 settings. 7.1 worked well for me even though
I only have 6.1 speakers :))

By the way, my 65 inch TV has just 2 built-in speakers. By disassociating the SONY receiver sound
from the TV means that even if my TV volume is not set to zero, the two speakers
won't make a sound to mess up my 6.1 sound. And if I view programs on TV from antenna I
have stereo sound without adjusting volume !!!

Posted 09/17/2017 04:02 PM   
  6 / 6    
Scroll To Top