GeForce 8400 GS update driver problem Blank screen on updating driver to latest.
Hello, I'm a newbie. I followed the instructions for updating my driver I am on a windows Desktop PC running vista and my card is a GeForce 8400 GS.

When i installed the new driver everything seemed to go ok. But when i rebooted the pc I got a blank screen. The pc boots up normally and runs the
little green bar along the screen, the one just before the small windows logo normally appears before the windows log on screen should appear
indicating the windows logo is about to appear. No windows logo appears and neither does my windows log on screen. Instead the screen goes blank.
although by the sound of the pc everything is running ok. I would like to add that my pc is hooked up to a 19" Goodmans LCD TV due to my old monitor
going kaput.....But I have been using this TV as a monitor for a year now with no problems, so I doubt this is the issue.

The only way I can access my screen to surf the web ect. Is to boot into last known good configuration mode. When i do this and look in device manager
at Display it shows some other card is being used...and mentions VGA but has the yellow exclamation mark next to it. I then get windows telling me that
an update is available, and when I update it is the GeForce 8400 GS....I let windows run it and I get the same thing over again...It appears to go well
untill I have to reboot the PC and then I am back to a blank screen with a Geforce 8400 GS showing in device as my graphics card when I boot into safe mode.

The if I want to use the pc normally I again have to boot into last known good configuration mode....and I just ignore the windows request to update as I
know it's going to result in the same proceedure happening again. Can some one PLEASE advice me here.....I am not a gamer I am a 55 year old guy who
likes to surf the web and view video's on youtube etc...I only upgraded the card because I keep hearing that we should always update to the latest software and drivers
for the PC. I wish now I hadn't bothered...This has been a total nightmare for me.

I did the scan on this site and downloaded the driver it chose as being the one I needed for my pc.

Please, any help is much appreciated....Sorry to be a pain. :(

SYSTEM INFO: Windows Vista - Home Premium

Service Pack 2

Manafacturer: Medion

Model: Professional PC

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz

Memory (RAM): 2.00GB

System type: 32-bit Operating System
Hello, I'm a newbie. I followed the instructions for updating my driver I am on a windows Desktop PC running vista and my card is a GeForce 8400 GS.

When i installed the new driver everything seemed to go ok. But when i rebooted the pc I got a blank screen. The pc boots up normally and runs the

little green bar along the screen, the one just before the small windows logo normally appears before the windows log on screen should appear

indicating the windows logo is about to appear. No windows logo appears and neither does my windows log on screen. Instead the screen goes blank.

although by the sound of the pc everything is running ok. I would like to add that my pc is hooked up to a 19" Goodmans LCD TV due to my old monitor

going kaput.....But I have been using this TV as a monitor for a year now with no problems, so I doubt this is the issue.

The only way I can access my screen to surf the web ect. Is to boot into last known good configuration mode. When i do this and look in device manager

at Display it shows some other card is being used...and mentions VGA but has the yellow exclamation mark next to it. I then get windows telling me that

an update is available, and when I update it is the GeForce 8400 GS....I let windows run it and I get the same thing over again...It appears to go well

untill I have to reboot the PC and then I am back to a blank screen with a Geforce 8400 GS showing in device as my graphics card when I boot into safe mode.

The if I want to use the pc normally I again have to boot into last known good configuration mode....and I just ignore the windows request to update as I

know it's going to result in the same proceedure happening again. Can some one PLEASE advice me here.....I am not a gamer I am a 55 year old guy who

likes to surf the web and view video's on youtube etc...I only upgraded the card because I keep hearing that we should always update to the latest software and drivers

for the PC. I wish now I hadn't bothered...This has been a total nightmare for me.

I did the scan on this site and downloaded the driver it chose as being the one I needed for my pc.

Service Pack 2

Posted 11/27/2010 03:16 PM   

Service Pack 2

Service Pack 2

Posted 11/27/2010 03:16 PM   
68 views, no one has any advice? Please guys, any help appreciated.

Posted 11/28/2010 11:57 AM   

Posted 11/28/2010 11:57 AM   
I have similar problem with 8400 GS card, and latest 260.99 version driver.
I get BSOD in nvlddmkm.sys.

BSOD happens after 1-2 minutes of Windows 7 start (since I updated to latest driver in Windows Update).

I will have to downgrade back to an earlier version.
Someone says the 191.07 driver was the most stable driver under Windows 7.

I don't know which is assumed to be the most stable driver CURRENTLY.

[quote name='Dastardley' date='27 November 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1290871009' post='1152270']

Service Pack 2

[/quote]
I have similar problem with 8400 GS card, and latest 260.99 version driver.

I get BSOD in nvlddmkm.sys.

BSOD happens after 1-2 minutes of Windows 7 start (since I updated to latest driver in Windows Update).

I will have to downgrade back to an earlier version.

Someone says the 191.07 driver was the most stable driver under Windows 7.

I don't know which is assumed to be the most stable driver CURRENTLY.

[quote name='Dastardley' date='27 November 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1290871009' post='1152270']

Service Pack 2

--------------------------

ASUS M2N-SLI motherboard (Nvidia Nforce4 chipset)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

2 Gb Kingmax KLDE88F-B8KU5 DDR2 (PC2-6400)

ASUS EN210 video card (ASUS EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) VGA Card with Nvidia Geforce 210 chipset)

Posted 11/28/2010 06:22 PM   
Someone wrote that also had problems when installing 260.99 version.
He wrote 258.96 has been a wonderfully fast driver for his old card.

I will try to install 258.96. I will let you know, if it solves the BSOD problem.

I will try to install 258.96. I will let you know, if it solves the BSOD problem.

ASUS EN210 video card (ASUS EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) VGA Card with Nvidia Geforce 210 chipset)

Posted 11/28/2010 06:28 PM   
[quote name='klor' date='28 November 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1290968890' post='1152754']

[/quote]

I'm having this same problem. I have an 8400M GS. I installed 260.99 about 4-5 weeks ago. It was working fine and then the other day while using Photoshop CS3, the computer froze. When I restarted, the display came back at 640x480. I was able to change it to my usual 1440x900, and use the computer fine. But today when I booted, I got the same black screen issue as described above. After rebooting in safe mode and determining it was my video driver I tried restoring to an earlier successful point, rolling back the driver, installing 258.96, uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling 258.96 and no matter what, I still get the message: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)

Prior to this update, my last update was October of 2009.

Service Pack 2

Manafacturer: HP

Model: Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T 7500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

Memory (RAM): 3.00GB

[quote name='klor' date='28 November 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1290968890' post='1152754']

I'm having this same problem. I have an 8400M GS. I installed 260.99 about 4-5 weeks ago. It was working fine and then the other day while using Photoshop CS3, the computer froze. When I restarted, the display came back at 640x480. I was able to change it to my usual 1440x900, and use the computer fine. But today when I booted, I got the same black screen issue as described above. After rebooting in safe mode and determining it was my video driver I tried restoring to an earlier successful point, rolling back the driver, installing 258.96, uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling 258.96 and no matter what, I still get the message: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)

Prior to this update, my last update was October of 2009.

Service Pack 2

Manafacturer: HP

Model: Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T 7500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

Memory (RAM): 3.00GB

Posted 11/29/2010 04:25 PM   
Well, there was BSOD under 258.96 version, also had BSOD with 191.07 version.

As the 191.07 is a stable release, this suggested me, that likely the video card is going to be bad.
The card was able to work correctly, when AERO theme was turned off, but hanged my computer or BSOD, if the AERO was turned on (AERO need more computing power, so the temperature increases).
My Gigabyte 8400 GS card was working at 85 C temperature, so likely the high GPU usage caused errors.
Also, unfortunately I also saw the highlighted text unsmoothed, also 1-2 times got strange BIOS screens nowadays.

All these symptoms made me think, that the video card is bad.
I went and bought an ASUS EN210 video card (ASUS EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) VGA Card with Geforce 210 chipset).
[url="http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/42"]http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/42[/url]
I don't use my computer for game, so this cheap card is OK for me.

After installing ASUS EN210 video card, Windows 7 found the card, and automatically installed the card drivers from the internet.
BTW: it automatically installed the 258.96 version.
Restarted the computer, and using the new card, my system seems to work fine since 30 minutes.

Please note, I did not have black screen problems, mostly just strange BSOD-s on my system since a few weeks.
These BSOD-s seems that was caused by hardware error.

In your case the problem my be caused either by a driver bug, or by video card hardware error.
Test your system with the 191.07 stable release.

I hope you this report will help solving your problem.

[quote name='klor' date='28 November 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1290968890' post='1152754']

[/quote]

As the 191.07 is a stable release, this suggested me, that likely the video card is going to be bad.

The card was able to work correctly, when AERO theme was turned off, but hanged my computer or BSOD, if the AERO was turned on (AERO need more computing power, so the temperature increases).

My Gigabyte 8400 GS card was working at 85 C temperature, so likely the high GPU usage caused errors.

Also, unfortunately I also saw the highlighted text unsmoothed, also 1-2 times got strange BIOS screens nowadays.

I went and bought an ASUS EN210 video card (ASUS EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) VGA Card with Geforce 210 chipset).

http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/42

After installing ASUS EN210 video card, Windows 7 found the card, and automatically installed the card drivers from the internet.

Restarted the computer, and using the new card, my system seems to work fine since 30 minutes.

Please note, I did not have black screen problems, mostly just strange BSOD-s on my system since a few weeks.

In your case the problem my be caused either by a driver bug, or by video card hardware error.

[quote name='klor' date='28 November 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1290968890' post='1152754']

Posted 11/29/2010 11:50 PM   
[quote name='klor' date='29 November 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1291074633' post='1153461']

[url="http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/42"]http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/42[/url]

[/quote]

This is strange. I'm using the latest driver for the 8400GS and I haven't had any issues. I've actually had increased performance. If I knew anything that would help I would share it but I'm dumbfounded by this issue.
[quote name='klor' date='29 November 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1291074633' post='1153461']

http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/42

This is strange. I'm using the latest driver for the 8400GS and I haven't had any issues. I've actually had increased performance. If I knew anything that would help I would share it but I'm dumbfounded by this issue.

Posted 12/04/2010 12:58 AM   
Maybe youd sis not read the full post.
My 8400GS card was probably bad, so I replaced it.

After installing the new ASUS EN210 card, the BSOD-s are gone.

[quote name='Cobra_Vorhees' date='04 December 2010 - 01:58 AM' timestamp='1291424301' post='1155456']
[/quote]
Maybe youd sis not read the full post.

My 8400GS card was probably bad, so I replaced it.

After installing the new ASUS EN210 card, the BSOD-s are gone.

[quote name='Cobra_Vorhees' date='04 December 2010 - 01:58 AM' timestamp='1291424301' post='1155456']

Posted 12/05/2010 01:26 PM   
Scroll To Top