Laptop cooling tray Bit of a reassurance question
  1 / 4    
Hi there guys. Haven't been on here in a while.

I have a Acer Aspire laptop which is getting rather hot. I was going to buy a laptop cooling tray but though it'd be easier to make (and probably better).
I'm planning to do just a basic tray with a few 120mm fans on the bottoms.

My question is. Which way do I put the fans. Now most laptop cooling trays blow air upwards towards the bottom of the laptop. But my laptop seems to dispatch of the hot air from the cpu downwards from the bottom (imo stupid design). Now do I place fans blowing Upwards into the other vents on the bottom and have one fan blow downwards (where the cpu is)?
Or do I blow upwards or what.

As I said I ain't been on here in a while and the whole "Computer Thing" needs to be refreshed.

Sorry for my noobness :P.

Cheers - Jay.

I have a Acer Aspire laptop which is getting rather hot. I was going to buy a laptop cooling tray but though it'd be easier to make (and probably better).

My question is. Which way do I put the fans. Now most laptop cooling trays blow air upwards towards the bottom of the laptop. But my laptop seems to dispatch of the hot air from the cpu downwards from the bottom (imo stupid design). Now do I place fans blowing Upwards into the other vents on the bottom and have one fan blow downwards (where the cpu is)?

As I said I ain't been on here in a while and the whole "Computer Thing" needs to be refreshed.

Cheers - Jay.

Posted 11/19/2010 08:15 PM   

Cheers - Jay.

Cheers - Jay.

Posted 11/19/2010 08:15 PM   
Hello Jay, Welcome back /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' /> I would build a simple configuration first and test it, first blowing the air upward and see if the temps drop log the results then revers the fans and test it again. The configuration that test the best will show it's cooling performance then build your Laptop cooling tray. Yeah and post your results and pics. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' /> TJ
Hello Jay, Welcome back /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' /> I would build a simple configuration first and test it, first blowing the air upward and see if the temps drop log the results then revers the fans and test it again. The configuration that test the best will show it's cooling performance then build your Laptop cooling tray. Yeah and post your results and pics. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' /> TJ

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted by Rsabatino, techjesse you are the people's champ of overclocking

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 11/19/2010 08:40 PM   

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 11/19/2010 08:40 PM   
+1 to TJ

Since 120 fans are easy to mount in either direction, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to do that.

Maybe see what other vents you have in the side / back & see if a few 80mms can be used to blast air into them? - if you want that is.

Like TJ said... PICCIES! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
+1 to TJ

Since 120 fans are easy to mount in either direction, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to do that.

Maybe see what other vents you have in the side / back & see if a few 80mms can be used to blast air into them? - if you want that is.

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 11/19/2010 09:15 PM   
+1 to TJ

+1 to TJ

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Posted 11/19/2010 09:15 PM   
[quote name='techjesse' date='19 November 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1290199215' post='1148996']
[/quote]

Yea was thinking that. CoreTemp will do the job yea? God I feel like a right noob asking these questions. Haha.

Cheers - Jay :)
[quote name='techjesse' date='19 November 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1290199215' post='1148996']

Yea was thinking that. CoreTemp will do the job yea? God I feel like a right noob asking these questions. Haha.

Posted 11/19/2010 09:17 PM   
[/quote]

Posted 11/19/2010 09:17 PM   
I would use Coretemp for the CPU and HWMonitor for the rest of the system /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> You may download HWMonitor by clicking [url="http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html"]HERE[/url]
Yeah Pics /spaz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':spaz:' /> TJ
I would use Coretemp for the CPU and HWMonitor for the rest of the system /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> You may download HWMonitor by clicking HERE

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 11/19/2010 09:41 PM   
I would use Coretemp for the CPU and HWMonitor for the rest of the system /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> You may download HWMonitor by clicking [url="http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html"]HERE[/url]
I would use Coretemp for the CPU and HWMonitor for the rest of the system /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> You may download HWMonitor by clicking HERE

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 11/19/2010 09:41 PM   
Well as you wanted pics. I sat making a basic design on sketchup.

Pics:
[img]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6679/laptoptray2.png[/img]
[img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7463/laptoptray.png[/img]
[img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1097/laptoptray3.png[/img]

It's very basic but if it does the job. Then sorted haha. Going to have a scramble to see what fans I have left. (Cheap scate me)

Jay.

Pics:

It's very basic but if it does the job. Then sorted haha. Going to have a scramble to see what fans I have left. (Cheap scate me)

Jay.

Posted 11/20/2010 03:39 PM   

Pics:
[img]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6679/laptoptray2.png[/img]
[img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7463/laptoptray.png[/img]
[img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1097/laptoptray3.png[/img]

Jay.

Pics:

Jay.

Posted 11/20/2010 03:39 PM   
Very nice

What you making it out of? - wood??

Also, what you powering the fans with? - old PSU??
Very nice

Posted 11/20/2010 04:06 PM   
Very nice

Very nice

Posted 11/20/2010 04:06 PM   
[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='20 November 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1290269197' post='1149322']
Very nice

[/quote]

Yea it will be some kind of wood. Possibly MDF or something with a lighter property to it. Sanded, undercoated and painted.

Only problem at the moment is I have 2 clear fans and one black ;\ so will look a bit odd for a bit lol.

Powered off the mains mate - DC adapter giving them 12v. Should be enough to keep this stupid laptop cool.

Cheers - Jay.
[quote name='xXDeltaXx' date='20 November 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1290269197' post='1149322']

Very nice

Yea it will be some kind of wood. Possibly MDF or something with a lighter property to it. Sanded, undercoated and painted.

Only problem at the moment is I have 2 clear fans and one black ;\ so will look a bit odd for a bit lol.

Powered off the mains mate - DC adapter giving them 12v. Should be enough to keep this stupid laptop cool.

Cheers - Jay.

Posted 11/20/2010 04:32 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top