260.99 reolution problems Windows 7
  1 / 2    
I am having resolution as well as control panel issues with the 260.99 drivers with Windows 7 x64.
I am using a 20" CRT MV920 monitor. I have the .inf and ICM file installer that worked for
Xp.I have tried to install them also in Win 7 but the actual inf doesn't extract or install.I know it's the day of LCD but the monitor works great and has great color and refresh rates, so no need to dump it. Also Nvidia identifies the monitor in display properties as the MV920 but only as PnP in device manager. Frankly I don't see why there should be any issue with resolutions even if it's because I'm using a CRT, it's should be a no brainer.

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 950
Mv920 CRT monitor ( dvi to VGA adapter from GPU box)
Asus p6t6 WS revolution
6 gigs Patriot Viper triple channel
EVGA GTX 275 OC
1250w BFG PSU
2 250g HDD
X58 chipset utility form Intel up to date

New build Oct 09, used the default Windows install of the Nvidia drivers for a few months. Deciding to update the drivers to 196.21 for a Bad Company Beta, I started with issues.

Resolutions and refresh rates offered through XP were gone, Limited to only 5 resolutions and only 75 and 85hz. All resolutions other than native 1600x1200 at 75hz would give me a
shrunken desktop ( 3" or larger black space around the desktop area), with the resolution I
selected scaled within the 1600x1200( confirmed by monitor).If a resolution offered 75hz,
after choosing it, the screen would shrink again.

Removed 196.21 drivers and cleaned in safe mode numerous times. Finally got them to stick, I
THINK, by removing the default WDDM driver Windows forced install then installing the 196's
back. Still missing the option of refresh rates and resolutions I used to have in XP (
can't even do 60hz, 72hz or 75hz on any one). But I understand that this is possibly due to
Windows 7.

So now all games/desktop scale correctly.I can change resolutions and it will not go into a
windowed desktop anymore. It even stretches the display if I pick a non 4x3 aspect ratio
resolution, which is what drivers did in XP. All games scale correctly in game even going
above native I have set on the desktop.

I decided to update to the 260.99 knowing I will be playing Fallout Vegas. Only installed
drivers and Physx. Removed previous in Safe Mode first using Driver Cleaner.I have removed
and reinstalled these 3 times, also trying to remove the WDDM 1.1 driver after Windows 7
installs it.

After 260.99 install:

Arrows to move desktop up, down etc,in Nvidia Control Panel do not do anything, my screen
doesn't move a bit but control panel asks to confirm changes anyway.

Resolutions all messed up ,have a windowed desktop on all resolutions except, 1600x1200 at
85hz. All games that were fullscreen at a certain resolutions are now windowed when I opened
them, regardless what I set them at in game.

If I select 75hz, if offered, makes the desktop a small window. Reselected 85hz or a known
full screen resolution( 1024x) immediately after keeps the windowed mode,and won't go back
to full screen. I have to start back at 1600x1200 and work my way back down to the
resolution I want, and forced to use 85hz for it not to happen again.

At some resolutions selecting 75hz and confirm changes refreshes the desktop and Control
Panel but defaults back to 85hz.

Games like Dragon Age Origins that have specific reolutions labeled (4x3) do not scale
fullscreen at all. Any game offering windowed mode, the screen is over scanned by 50%, the
game has no window at all, nothing to grab and resize.It's actually fullscreen plus 50%.

The Physx section in Control Panel shows 2 images of the MV920 and 2 lines with arrows
pointing to the HD round connector on gtx 275 for some reason.Not sure what is that about

I see other people are also having issues with LCD monitors and resolutions with the
drivers.I'm afraid of even trying any other drivers in case I can't resolution to stick again.

The thing is, I started having issues with drivers using a 7600GT on a different XP rig when
the new control panel went into affect. Resolutions not sticking after reboot, loosing 32 bit color and forced to 800x600, control panel rundll32 hogging resources and not physically loading. Nvidia techs even gave me beta drivers to use that worked but sadly can't use anything newer than the 186's.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I wouldn't expect to ever have issues with this
kind of rig I built when it comes to drivers but this is becoming a trend.
I am having resolution as well as control panel issues with the 260.99 drivers with Windows 7 x64.

I am using a 20" CRT MV920 monitor. I have the .inf and ICM file installer that worked for

Xp.I have tried to install them also in Win 7 but the actual inf doesn't extract or install.I know it's the day of LCD but the monitor works great and has great color and refresh rates, so no need to dump it. Also Nvidia identifies the monitor in display properties as the MV920 but only as PnP in device manager. Frankly I don't see why there should be any issue with resolutions even if it's because I'm using a CRT, it's should be a no brainer.

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 950

Asus p6t6 WS revolution

EVGA GTX 275 OC

1250w BFG PSU

2 250g HDD

New build Oct 09, used the default Windows install of the Nvidia drivers for a few months. Deciding to update the drivers to 196.21 for a Bad Company Beta, I started with issues.

Resolutions and refresh rates offered through XP were gone, Limited to only 5 resolutions and only 75 and 85hz. All resolutions other than native 1600x1200 at 75hz would give me a

shrunken desktop ( 3" or larger black space around the desktop area), with the resolution I

selected scaled within the 1600x1200( confirmed by monitor).If a resolution offered 75hz,

Removed 196.21 drivers and cleaned in safe mode numerous times. Finally got them to stick, I

THINK, by removing the default WDDM driver Windows forced install then installing the 196's

back. Still missing the option of refresh rates and resolutions I used to have in XP (

can't even do 60hz, 72hz or 75hz on any one). But I understand that this is possibly due to

Windows 7.

So now all games/desktop scale correctly.I can change resolutions and it will not go into a

windowed desktop anymore. It even stretches the display if I pick a non 4x3 aspect ratio

resolution, which is what drivers did in XP. All games scale correctly in game even going

I decided to update to the 260.99 knowing I will be playing Fallout Vegas. Only installed

drivers and Physx. Removed previous in Safe Mode first using Driver Cleaner.I have removed

and reinstalled these 3 times, also trying to remove the WDDM 1.1 driver after Windows 7

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

Arrows to move desktop up, down etc,in Nvidia Control Panel do not do anything, my screen

Resolutions all messed up ,have a windowed desktop on all resolutions except, 1600x1200 at

85hz. All games that were fullscreen at a certain resolutions are now windowed when I opened

If I select 75hz, if offered, makes the desktop a small window. Reselected 85hz or a known

full screen resolution( 1024x) immediately after keeps the windowed mode,and won't go back

to full screen. I have to start back at 1600x1200 and work my way back down to the

At some resolutions selecting 75hz and confirm changes refreshes the desktop and Control

Games like Dragon Age Origins that have specific reolutions labeled (4x3) do not scale

fullscreen at all. Any game offering windowed mode, the screen is over scanned by 50%, the

game has no window at all, nothing to grab and resize.It's actually fullscreen plus 50%.

The Physx section in Control Panel shows 2 images of the MV920 and 2 lines with arrows

pointing to the HD round connector on gtx 275 for some reason.Not sure what is that about

I see other people are also having issues with LCD monitors and resolutions with the

drivers.I'm afraid of even trying any other drivers in case I can't resolution to stick again.

The thing is, I started having issues with drivers using a 7600GT on a different XP rig when

the new control panel went into affect. Resolutions not sticking after reboot, loosing 32 bit color and forced to 800x600, control panel rundll32 hogging resources and not physically loading. Nvidia techs even gave me beta drivers to use that worked but sadly can't use anything newer than the 186's.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I wouldn't expect to ever have issues with this

Posted 11/05/2010 02:36 PM   

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 950
Asus p6t6 WS revolution
EVGA GTX 275 OC
1250w BFG PSU
2 250g HDD

Windows 7.

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 950

Asus p6t6 WS revolution

EVGA GTX 275 OC

1250w BFG PSU

2 250g HDD

Windows 7.

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

Posted 11/05/2010 02:36 PM   
[quote name='Grandizer' date='05 November 2010 - 09:36 AM' timestamp='1288967793' post='1142120']

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 950
Asus p6t6 WS revolution
EVGA GTX 275 OC
1250w BFG PSU
2 250g HDD

Windows 7.

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

[/quote]
[quote name='Grandizer' date='05 November 2010 - 09:36 AM' timestamp='1288967793' post='1142120']

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 950

Asus p6t6 WS revolution

EVGA GTX 275 OC

1250w BFG PSU

2 250g HDD

Windows 7.

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

Posted 11/08/2010 03:59 PM   

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 950
Asus p6t6 WS revolution
EVGA GTX 275 OC
1250w BFG PSU
2 250g HDD

Windows 7.

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

[/quote]

First system specs.

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 950

Asus p6t6 WS revolution

EVGA GTX 275 OC

1250w BFG PSU

2 250g HDD

Windows 7.

installs it.

After 260.99 install:

Posted 11/08/2010 03:59 PM   
Can anyone help with this?

Posted 11/08/2010 04:01 PM   

Posted 11/08/2010 04:01 PM   
[quote name='Grandizer' date='08 November 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1289232118' post='1143444']
[/quote]

I am having the EXACT same issues. The only driver set that works is the July 7th or earlier. Any of the new stuff causes my panel to crash, which causes other issues. Also playing Black Ops causes the drivers to crash some times... Fun fun. Anyone have any ideas?
[quote name='Grandizer' date='08 November 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1289232118' post='1143444']

I am having the EXACT same issues. The only driver set that works is the July 7th or earlier. Any of the new stuff causes my panel to crash, which causes other issues. Also playing Black Ops causes the drivers to crash some times... Fun fun. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted 11/25/2010 01:01 AM   
[/quote]

Posted 11/25/2010 01:01 AM   
Hello, i have W7 x64 and 9800gtx, with the same problem.
I uninstall de drivers 260.99 but each time i reboot and windows install automatically old drivers, i have the same problem.

Now, i cant install the 260.99

I uncheck the automatic driver installation and run registry cleaner.

Any sugestion ??

Thanks.

Sorry for my bad english.
Hello, i have W7 x64 and 9800gtx, with the same problem.

I uninstall de drivers 260.99 but each time i reboot and windows install automatically old drivers, i have the same problem.

Now, i cant install the 260.99

I uncheck the automatic driver installation and run registry cleaner.

Any sugestion ??

Thanks.

Sorry for my bad english.

Posted 12/04/2010 10:19 AM   
The resolution system is broken in the 26x.xx driver series, particularly for us CRT users. I have not seen a fix but nVidia says they will fix it in next driver set.
The resolution system is broken in the 26x.xx driver series, particularly for us CRT users. I have not seen a fix but nVidia says they will fix it in next driver set.

Posted 12/04/2010 10:38 PM   
I just turned on my desktop for the first time in over a year, updated everything, including the new drivers, and my overall performance went down substantially from what it was before. (windows score 6.4 to a 3.4) Games that I use to play just fine 60fps+, now are too choppy and slow to even play.
I have no idea how to fix it, Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers/programs. Hopefully with this "new update" coming it will fix this. If anyone out there knows why this is, don't be scared to speak up and help out!!!

my specs: 9800gtx+(260.99 drivers) OC@ 860/2210/1280
6gig RAM
AMD quad core OC@ 3.2
Vista ultimate 64bit
I just turned on my desktop for the first time in over a year, updated everything, including the new drivers, and my overall performance went down substantially from what it was before. (windows score 6.4 to a 3.4) Games that I use to play just fine 60fps+, now are too choppy and slow to even play.

I have no idea how to fix it, Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers/programs. Hopefully with this "new update" coming it will fix this. If anyone out there knows why this is, don't be scared to speak up and help out!!!

6gig RAM

AMD quad core OC@ 3.2

Vista ultimate 64bit

Posted 12/06/2010 01:18 AM   
Here are my thoughts for everyone including the last poster before this post.

This is what I did to get new driver to work. I am on windows 7 32 bit, qx9650 extreme, EVGA 790i, and QUAD SLI 9800 GX2s.

1. you should also remove all tuning software for the device prior to installing new drivers(Nvidias tuning software, Riva tuner, EVGA Precision, etc.). I go as far as to remove other monitoring only software like Everest or Aida64 as well. Sometimes even good programmers open a file in the wrong mode when they only intend to read it. If a file gets opened in update mode it likely will not be removed when you un-install a driver. This is why I remove monitoring only programs.

2. I went into control panel/system/devices selected the drivers. I removed the drivers and ask it to remove the software also (there is a check box for that) -----> Note: Presently both Nvidia and Microsoft tell us not to use the above method of removing drivers. Instead they say the only way to be sure all driver files are removed is by going into control panel, selecting programs and features, and removing the driver files there from that location.(I did not do that because I had no problem the other way and frankly did not read this until after the drivers were installed.) You will find this notice in the driver release notes.

If you feel there is something left over:
a. You can check the folders to see if there are residual files.
b. Please remember, in Win 7 and I think Vista also, your old drivers get stored in the driver store. This may be why removing programs, as described above, has been suggested as the only way to completely remove drivers now. There is a way to remove drivers from the driver store manually explained here if you want to look and see whats there. --> technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library​/cc730875.aspx

3. shutdown and re-boot, let Microsoft re-load the generic video drivers at staruup. When the load is complete run the driver installation for Nvidias new 260.99 drivers.

4. Re-boot and you should be done but there may be a glitch that requires something extra.

5. Adressing the glitch, I have read that many are needing to re-install the Nvidia drivers a second time to get some things to work correctly. For the second install of the new Nvidia drivers they do nothing more than the install. Do not remove any drivers manually, enter the driver store, or anything else, just re-install Nvidias latest drivers again over the top of the new drivers you just installed.

I was getting picky when I installed the drivers on my PC and likely did this without noticing. I had been seeing some crashes during play and wanted to make sure everything took correctly. I do remember going thru several iterations of deleting and reinstalling drivers. As it turned out my crashes were due to a power cable to my GPU that has a loose pin and that is fixed now.

See if this works, some seem to think it is the solution. I have the 260.99 drivers installed and have run both GPUs without SLI and with SLI. I have used 2 GPUs and then I used 4 GPUs, everything works including all features of Nvidias control panel. You can check the version of each segment of the new driver install in the Nvidia control panel by clicking system information in the lower left hand corner of the Nvidia control panel screen and then selecting the components tab.

I wish you all the best... Hopefully this will solve at least a few of your issues.
Here are my thoughts for everyone including the last poster before this post.

This is what I did to get new driver to work. I am on windows 7 32 bit, qx9650 extreme, EVGA 790i, and QUAD SLI 9800 GX2s.

1. you should also remove all tuning software for the device prior to installing new drivers(Nvidias tuning software, Riva tuner, EVGA Precision, etc.). I go as far as to remove other monitoring only software like Everest or Aida64 as well. Sometimes even good programmers open a file in the wrong mode when they only intend to read it. If a file gets opened in update mode it likely will not be removed when you un-install a driver. This is why I remove monitoring only programs.

2. I went into control panel/system/devices selected the drivers. I removed the drivers and ask it to remove the software also (there is a check box for that) -----> Note: Presently both Nvidia and Microsoft tell us not to use the above method of removing drivers. Instead they say the only way to be sure all driver files are removed is by going into control panel, selecting programs and features, and removing the driver files there from that location.(I did not do that because I had no problem the other way and frankly did not read this until after the drivers were installed.) You will find this notice in the driver release notes.

If you feel there is something left over:

a. You can check the folders to see if there are residual files.

b. Please remember, in Win 7 and I think Vista also, your old drivers get stored in the driver store. This may be why removing programs, as described above, has been suggested as the only way to completely remove drivers now. There is a way to remove drivers from the driver store manually explained here if you want to look and see whats there. --> technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library​/cc730875.aspx

3. shutdown and re-boot, let Microsoft re-load the generic video drivers at staruup. When the load is complete run the driver installation for Nvidias new 260.99 drivers.

4. Re-boot and you should be done but there may be a glitch that requires something extra.

5. Adressing the glitch, I have read that many are needing to re-install the Nvidia drivers a second time to get some things to work correctly. For the second install of the new Nvidia drivers they do nothing more than the install. Do not remove any drivers manually, enter the driver store, or anything else, just re-install Nvidias latest drivers again over the top of the new drivers you just installed.

I was getting picky when I installed the drivers on my PC and likely did this without noticing. I had been seeing some crashes during play and wanted to make sure everything took correctly. I do remember going thru several iterations of deleting and reinstalling drivers. As it turned out my crashes were due to a power cable to my GPU that has a loose pin and that is fixed now.

See if this works, some seem to think it is the solution. I have the 260.99 drivers installed and have run both GPUs without SLI and with SLI. I have used 2 GPUs and then I used 4 GPUs, everything works including all features of Nvidias control panel. You can check the version of each segment of the new driver install in the Nvidia control panel by clicking system information in the lower left hand corner of the Nvidia control panel screen and then selecting the components tab.

I wish you all the best... Hopefully this will solve at least a few of your issues.

Posted 12/06/2010 09:51 AM   
[quote name='sinseeker006' date='05 December 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1291598313' post='1156458']

6gig RAM
AMD quad core OC@ 3.2
Vista ultimate 64bit
[/quote]
Here is something you should think about.

You have some things overclocked. It might be that something has changed over the year you did not use the system and something may be heating up. If the CPU is overheating it may be throteling back as a result. Check your temperatures. It might be as simple as a crawley BUG stuck in a fan clean up your heat sinks and get any dust out and try it again.

Also I know that win 7 introduced a new method to rate systems. The rateings have become more sensitive to things like older HDD, memory, and GPUs since many new and more capable products have entered the market. Is there a chance Vista update the rating system it uses? This may have happened but that alone should not make your system slow. Look at the ratings and specifically look at the ones that seem really low, this may give you a place to begin looking to resolve your issue.

As for the game you should know that games change. If it is an online game like world of warcraft they have undergone many changes in graphics which cause many machines to function poorly depending on video settings and GPUs used.
[quote name='sinseeker006' date='05 December 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1291598313' post='1156458']

6gig RAM

AMD quad core OC@ 3.2

Vista ultimate 64bit

Here is something you should think about.

You have some things overclocked. It might be that something has changed over the year you did not use the system and something may be heating up. If the CPU is overheating it may be throteling back as a result. Check your temperatures. It might be as simple as a crawley BUG stuck in a fan clean up your heat sinks and get any dust out and try it again.

Also I know that win 7 introduced a new method to rate systems. The rateings have become more sensitive to things like older HDD, memory, and GPUs since many new and more capable products have entered the market. Is there a chance Vista update the rating system it uses? This may have happened but that alone should not make your system slow. Look at the ratings and specifically look at the ones that seem really low, this may give you a place to begin looking to resolve your issue.

As for the game you should know that games change. If it is an online game like world of warcraft they have undergone many changes in graphics which cause many machines to function poorly depending on video settings and GPUs used.

Posted 12/06/2010 10:20 AM   
The last 3 posts are a nice Q&A and all, but I don't see what they have to do with the thread topic - the 26x.xx resolution bug. senseeker, you need to start a new thread if you want to talk about something else.
The last 3 posts are a nice Q&A and all, but I don't see what they have to do with the thread topic - the 26x.xx resolution bug. senseeker, you need to start a new thread if you want to talk about something else.

Posted 12/06/2010 03:27 PM   
[quote name='DDuckMan' date='06 December 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1291649277' post='1156759']
[/quote]
Simple answer, there seems to be an issue with 260.99 [b]NOT[/b] loading everything correctly from what i have read. If this is true then the fix others found for problems they had may also fix your issue.

Unfortunately I can't try it and see. I am running 100% OK on 260.99.

If you look at the first post that person is also having control panel problems and this relates directly to that. If Nvidia stated they are coming out with a fix for the resolution only thats great isn't it. Will it also fix the control panel issues?
[quote name='DDuckMan' date='06 December 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1291649277' post='1156759']

Simple answer, there seems to be an issue with 260.99 NOT loading everything correctly from what i have read. If this is true then the fix others found for problems they had may also fix your issue.

Unfortunately I can't try it and see. I am running 100% OK on 260.99.

If you look at the first post that person is also having control panel problems and this relates directly to that. If Nvidia stated they are coming out with a fix for the resolution only thats great isn't it. Will it also fix the control panel issues?

Posted 12/07/2010 02:38 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top