Optimus crashes system every time intel GMA 3150 and ION2 on ASUS EEE 1015pn (win7 ultimate)
Hello,

i've recently bought myself an Asus EEE PC 1015pn with nVidia ION2 graphics. The first thing I did was wiping the drive clean and installing Windows 7 Ultimate x86 to enable Optimus.
This is where my problem starts. When using the Asus Graphicsswitch utility to switch to optimus mode instead of only ION2, i'm booting up fine with 2 "standard VGA adapter" in device manager. One is working, one "can not be started". I then install the GMA 3150 (latest available fromt Intels website), restart and then install the nVidia driver (latest one avaiable as of today (260.89)). This is where the problems start. If I select to install the PhysX software, the driver installation routine simply stops at some point while installing PhysX. Nothing can be done about it. If i deselect everything but the graphics driver in the options dialog of the setup routine, the installation goes through but the system hangs while shutting down. I can only power down the system by holding the power button for 5 seconds then.

After restarting with both drivers installed everything goes haywire. The system boots up, but if I either right click the desktop or open device manager the spinning cursor stops spinning, while I'm still able to move the mouse (for some time). I cannot click on anything and the desktop clock stops as well. After again some time the cursor freezes as well, while the hard disk still works from time to time, so the system is still up, only the screen has frozen. I have not been able to resolve this issue, the only working mode for me is the sole ION2 mode, which uses lots of battery and heats up the system, so the fan is constantly running. This is not what I've bought this laptop for.

I've reinstalled Windows completly 2 times allready and the error persists. After installing both drivers I'm unable to use the PC while in optimus mode.

Any quick help regarding this? Without another reinstall if possible since I've bought this PC to write my term papers which are due pretty soon.

Thanks in advance
Hello,

i've recently bought myself an Asus EEE PC 1015pn with nVidia ION2 graphics. The first thing I did was wiping the drive clean and installing Windows 7 Ultimate x86 to enable Optimus.

This is where my problem starts. When using the Asus Graphicsswitch utility to switch to optimus mode instead of only ION2, i'm booting up fine with 2 "standard VGA adapter" in device manager. One is working, one "can not be started". I then install the GMA 3150 (latest available fromt Intels website), restart and then install the nVidia driver (latest one avaiable as of today (260.89)). This is where the problems start. If I select to install the PhysX software, the driver installation routine simply stops at some point while installing PhysX. Nothing can be done about it. If i deselect everything but the graphics driver in the options dialog of the setup routine, the installation goes through but the system hangs while shutting down. I can only power down the system by holding the power button for 5 seconds then.

After restarting with both drivers installed everything goes haywire. The system boots up, but if I either right click the desktop or open device manager the spinning cursor stops spinning, while I'm still able to move the mouse (for some time). I cannot click on anything and the desktop clock stops as well. After again some time the cursor freezes as well, while the hard disk still works from time to time, so the system is still up, only the screen has frozen. I have not been able to resolve this issue, the only working mode for me is the sole ION2 mode, which uses lots of battery and heats up the system, so the fan is constantly running. This is not what I've bought this laptop for.

I've reinstalled Windows completly 2 times allready and the error persists. After installing both drivers I'm unable to use the PC while in optimus mode.

Any quick help regarding this? Without another reinstall if possible since I've bought this PC to write my term papers which are due pretty soon.

Thanks in advance

Posted 10/21/2010 05:15 PM   
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Hello,

Thanks in advance

Posted 10/21/2010 05:15 PM   
[quote name='lUp' date='22 October 2010 - 02:15 AM' timestamp='1287681304' post='1134478']
Hello,

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

If you are going to use an Asus laptop, get 259.64 or 261.14 from laptopvideo2go.com, it'll make your life much better. The latest drivers from the Nvidia website just cause artifacts and other random crap with all three of my Asus laptops.
[quote name='lUp' date='22 October 2010 - 02:15 AM' timestamp='1287681304' post='1134478']

Hello,

Thanks in advance

If you are going to use an Asus laptop, get 259.64 or 261.14 from laptopvideo2go.com, it'll make your life much better. The latest drivers from the Nvidia website just cause artifacts and other random crap with all three of my Asus laptops.

Posted 12/07/2010 11:53 AM   
[quote name='Watlok' date='07 December 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1291722821' post='1157279']
[/quote]

how did you solve the hd playback issues on Youtube (or any flash video content for that matter). I've also performed a clean install and installed the latest drivers 260.99. But for some reason 1080p videos don't play as smooth in Optimus when compared with just using ION2 using the GraphicsSwitch utility. Asus support responded to this issue by saying that graphic card and drivers only work properly with their branded Operating System.. which I think is just bull..

I mean.. the whole reason to perform a clean install is to get rid of all the garbage that comes along with their OS.

Have you experienced hd playback issues using a web browser in Optimus mode? or the drivers you speak of solve this issue?
[quote name='Watlok' date='07 December 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1291722821' post='1157279']

how did you solve the hd playback issues on Youtube (or any flash video content for that matter). I've also performed a clean install and installed the latest drivers 260.99. But for some reason 1080p videos don't play as smooth in Optimus when compared with just using ION2 using the GraphicsSwitch utility. Asus support responded to this issue by saying that graphic card and drivers only work properly with their branded Operating System.. which I think is just bull..

I mean.. the whole reason to perform a clean install is to get rid of all the garbage that comes along with their OS.

Have you experienced hd playback issues using a web browser in Optimus mode? or the drivers you speak of solve this issue?

Posted 12/07/2010 03:39 PM   
Scroll To Top