Company of Heroes, GTX 460 ISSUE
  1 / 2    
I have a Palit GeForce GTX 460 (Sonic) 1GB video card. I've posted before about issues with other games, but I have run into an entirely new one. Instead of giving a detailed description, I am going to simply post a screen shot and see if anyone knows what is going on. I have two major errors: the water turns to black and white static, and the textures flash yellow on occasion. I will occasionally get tears and stretching as well...

I have the latest drivers installed: 260.89
I have run driver sweepers, and also used the clean install option included with the beta of 260.89.
We've determind that my PSU puts out enough power to support my card in a pre-existing thread and the rest of my system is solid as well.

As of today, I've also began to experience problems with World of Warcraft : \
I have a Palit GeForce GTX 460 (Sonic) 1GB video card. I've posted before about issues with other games, but I have run into an entirely new one. Instead of giving a detailed description, I am going to simply post a screen shot and see if anyone knows what is going on. I have two major errors: the water turns to black and white static, and the textures flash yellow on occasion. I will occasionally get tears and stretching as well...

I have run driver sweepers, and also used the clean install option included with the beta of 260.89.

We've determind that my PSU puts out enough power to support my card in a pre-existing thread and the rest of my system is solid as well.

Posted 10/21/2010 03:34 PM   

Posted 10/21/2010 03:34 PM   
Have you run OCCT 3.1's GPU OCCT? It has an error detector that can check for a faulty core, and a GPU memtest that can test your memory. You should also check your system RAM's timings.
A link to your other thread will also help determine what you have already done to trouble shoot.
Have you run OCCT 3.1's GPU OCCT? It has an error detector that can check for a faulty core, and a GPU memtest that can test your memory. You should also check your system RAM's timings.

A link to your other thread will also help determine what you have already done to trouble shoot.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington 1982 to 2010

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

* MSI GTX 470 * EVGA GTX 470 * Antec 900

PM's for assistance/clarification are welcome.

Posted 10/22/2010 04:04 AM   

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

Posted 10/22/2010 04:04 AM   
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1134742' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:04 AM']Have you run OCCT 3.1's GPU OCCT? It has an error detector that can check for a faulty core, and a GPU memtest that can test your memory. You should also check your system RAM's timings.
A link to your other thread will also help determine what you have already done to trouble shoot.[/quote]

Here is a link to the original thread [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180439"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180439[/url] this thread lists my initial issues.

I have:
-Used the driversweeper to remove all video related drivers from my PC.
-Reinstalled 260.89 using the clean install method.
-Have tried updating the BIOS on the graphics card as stated in a PALIT FAQ. The BIOS updater says that I have either an incompatable card, or that the bios does not need updated.
-Verified that my PSU (650W) @ 30A 12PIN, puts out enough power to support the card, it does.
-Downloaded OCCT and performed a GPU memory test, with the maximum amount of passes, and recieved no errors.
-Downloaded and installed the most currect nForce drivers for my motherboard (980a).
-Spent hours upon hours on user-to-user forums looking for insight.

What settings should I use for the GPU OCCT? RAM timings?

I submitted a ticket to PALIT last week, and I am still waiting on a response from them.
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1134742' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:04 AM']Have you run OCCT 3.1's GPU OCCT? It has an error detector that can check for a faulty core, and a GPU memtest that can test your memory. You should also check your system RAM's timings.

Here is a link to the original thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180439 this thread lists my initial issues.

I have:

-Have tried updating the BIOS on the graphics card as stated in a PALIT FAQ. The BIOS updater says that I have either an incompatable card, or that the bios does not need updated.

-Verified that my PSU (650W) @ 30A 12PIN, puts out enough power to support the card, it does.

-Downloaded OCCT and performed a GPU memory test, with the maximum amount of passes, and recieved no errors.

-Downloaded and installed the most currect nForce drivers for my motherboard (980a).

I submitted a ticket to PALIT last week, and I am still waiting on a response from them.

Posted 10/23/2010 09:28 PM   
A link to your other thread will also help determine what you have already done to trouble shoot.[/quote]

Here is a link to the original thread [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180439"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180439[/url] this thread lists my initial issues.

I have:

Here is a link to the original thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180439 this thread lists my initial issues.

I have:

Posted 10/23/2010 09:28 PM   
[quote name='Vegan' post='1135605' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:27 PM']Looks like VRAM problems, try backing off on the VRAM clock a bit and see how that works.[/quote]

I downloaded Vtune from PALIT, the memory clock is currently at 1800MHz. How much should I back it off?
[quote name='Vegan' post='1135605' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:27 PM']Looks like VRAM problems, try backing off on the VRAM clock a bit and see how that works.

I downloaded Vtune from PALIT, the memory clock is currently at 1800MHz. How much should I back it off?

Posted 10/24/2010 07:04 PM   
[quote name='Vegan' post='1135605' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:27 PM']Looks like VRAM problems, try backing off on the VRAM clock a bit and see how that works.[/quote]

[quote name='Vegan' post='1135605' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:27 PM']Looks like VRAM problems, try backing off on the VRAM clock a bit and see how that works.

Posted 10/24/2010 07:04 PM   
Just click the "error check" box in OCCT, and let it run on auto. If you don't get many errors run it at full screen at your resolution. An hour should still be fine, you'll probably get tons of errors right off the bat. If that passes try the GPU memtest for 10 runs or so.
You should also check your system RAM for stability. You can use Memtest86+ [url="http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.usb.installer.zip"]here[/url]. It shouldn't take more than an hour. With this test any error is an error and shows stability.
You are having serious issues here that sounds like overheating/has overheated and damaged the card to me. What case do you have?
Just click the "error check" box in OCCT, and let it run on auto. If you don't get many errors run it at full screen at your resolution. An hour should still be fine, you'll probably get tons of errors right off the bat. If that passes try the GPU memtest for 10 runs or so.

You should also check your system RAM for stability. You can use Memtest86+ here. It shouldn't take more than an hour. With this test any error is an error and shows stability.

You are having serious issues here that sounds like overheating/has overheated and damaged the card to me. What case do you have?

Posted 10/24/2010 11:48 PM   
You should also check your system RAM for stability. You can use Memtest86+ [url="http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.usb.installer.zip"]here[/url]. It shouldn't take more than an hour. With this test any error is an error and shows stability.

You should also check your system RAM for stability. You can use Memtest86+ here. It shouldn't take more than an hour. With this test any error is an error and shows stability.

Posted 10/24/2010 11:48 PM   
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1136039' date='Oct 24 2010, 07:48 PM']Just click the "error check" box in OCCT, and let it run on auto. If you don't get many errors run it at full screen at your resolution. An hour should still be fine, you'll probably get tons of errors right off the bat. If that passes try the GPU memtest for 10 runs or so.
You are having serious issues here that sounds like overheating/has overheated and damaged the card to me. What case do you have?[/quote]

Ah, I figure it out today. I ran the OCCT test like you suggested, and got oever 400,000 errors in a during a 6 minute long custom test. Three times in a row.

I don't know why, but going into the BIOS and Enabling Hybrid SLI cleared everything up. When I booted to Windows, I saw the installing new hardware notification and checked it out. It was just then installing the nForce drivers, like my computer just released that I had a nForce chipset.

I then re-ran the OCCT with 0 shaders for 6 minutes at full-screen and got no errors. I then ran the test with 8 shaders for 6 minutes at full-screen and recieved no errors. Odd. Not sure why changing that cleared things up but it did... also, not sure why ASUS would default it to off.
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1136039' date='Oct 24 2010, 07:48 PM']Just click the "error check" box in OCCT, and let it run on auto. If you don't get many errors run it at full screen at your resolution. An hour should still be fine, you'll probably get tons of errors right off the bat. If that passes try the GPU memtest for 10 runs or so.

Ah, I figure it out today. I ran the OCCT test like you suggested, and got oever 400,000 errors in a during a 6 minute long custom test. Three times in a row.

I don't know why, but going into the BIOS and Enabling Hybrid SLI cleared everything up. When I booted to Windows, I saw the installing new hardware notification and checked it out. It was just then installing the nForce drivers, like my computer just released that I had a nForce chipset.

I then re-ran the OCCT with 0 shaders for 6 minutes at full-screen and got no errors. I then ran the test with 8 shaders for 6 minutes at full-screen and recieved no errors. Odd. Not sure why changing that cleared things up but it did... also, not sure why ASUS would default it to off.

Posted 10/25/2010 02:57 AM   
You are having serious issues here that sounds like overheating/has overheated and damaged the card to me. What case do you have?[/quote]

Posted 10/25/2010 02:57 AM   
ENABLING hypbrid SLI helped? That's a new one for me, and makes no sense whatsoever. lol Having Hybrid SLI enabled may slow down your GPU, though. Glad you got something working. :)
ENABLING hypbrid SLI helped? That's a new one for me, and makes no sense whatsoever. lol Having Hybrid SLI enabled may slow down your GPU, though. Glad you got something working. :)

Posted 10/25/2010 03:19 AM   

Posted 10/25/2010 03:19 AM   
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1136110' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:19 PM']ENABLING hypbrid SLI helped? That's a new one for me, and makes no sense whatsoever. lol Having Hybrid SLI enabled may slow down your GPU, though. Glad you got something working. :)[/quote]

I'm thinking that there is a bug in my board that makes it seem as though the southbridge does not exist without it enabled.. odd, but thankfully fixed.
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1136110' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:19 PM']ENABLING hypbrid SLI helped? That's a new one for me, and makes no sense whatsoever. lol Having Hybrid SLI enabled may slow down your GPU, though. Glad you got something working. :)

I'm thinking that there is a bug in my board that makes it seem as though the southbridge does not exist without it enabled.. odd, but thankfully fixed.

Posted 10/25/2010 04:53 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top