Texture and stuttering issues in Mafia II - GTX 460
My system is a GTX 460, Q6600, and 4GB of RAM running Windows 7 64 bit

When I first played through Mafia II with my HD 4850 I had no problems whatsoever. However, when I upgraded to a GTX 460, I decided to play through again only to find a bunch of new issues had popped up. First of all is the stuttering while driving around town. This never had happened before, but after I upgraded to the 460, it has gotten pretty annoying. (and yes, I did turn PhysX off to test this) It seems to be an issue with the way the game streams the levels, and it seems to be a problem with Nvidia, as it didn't happen with my 4850. I've tried a few different sets of drivers as well, but none of them had any effect on the stuttering, or the texture issues which I've detailed below.

The second issue is a problem with textures. Barb wire fence, the fence surrounding the central park, forest trees in the scenery you can see outside of the city, and certain shop windows are all black, unless you approach and get quite close. When you get close, the textures show how they are supposed to, but step back a few meters and they show up black again. Again, this is a new issue after switching to the 460. I've also tried completely reinstalling the game, which didn't help. My temps are also fine, so this isn't an overheating issue.
I can take some screenshots of the texture issues, if anyone thinks it may help.

Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues, or aware of any fixes or solutions?

When I first played through Mafia II with my HD 4850 I had no problems whatsoever. However, when I upgraded to a GTX 460, I decided to play through again only to find a bunch of new issues had popped up. First of all is the stuttering while driving around town. This never had happened before, but after I upgraded to the 460, it has gotten pretty annoying. (and yes, I did turn PhysX off to test this) It seems to be an issue with the way the game streams the levels, and it seems to be a problem with Nvidia, as it didn't happen with my 4850. I've tried a few different sets of drivers as well, but none of them had any effect on the stuttering, or the texture issues which I've detailed below.

The second issue is a problem with textures. Barb wire fence, the fence surrounding the central park, forest trees in the scenery you can see outside of the city, and certain shop windows are all black, unless you approach and get quite close. When you get close, the textures show how they are supposed to, but step back a few meters and they show up black again. Again, this is a new issue after switching to the 460. I've also tried completely reinstalling the game, which didn't help. My temps are also fine, so this isn't an overheating issue.

I can take some screenshots of the texture issues, if anyone thinks it may help.

Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues, or aware of any fixes or solutions?

Posted 10/17/2010 07:09 PM   

Posted 10/17/2010 07:09 PM   
[quote name='cheeseonmyface' post='1132164' date='Oct 17 2010, 03:09 PM']My system is a GTX 460, Q6600, and 4GB of RAM running Windows 7 64 bit

Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues, or aware of any fixes or solutions?[/quote]

Runs fine on my system. Did you make sure you fully cleaned out the ATI drivers? Tried the very latest beta drivers for your 460?
[quote name='cheeseonmyface' post='1132164' date='Oct 17 2010, 03:09 PM']My system is a GTX 460, Q6600, and 4GB of RAM running Windows 7 64 bit

Runs fine on my system. Did you make sure you fully cleaned out the ATI drivers? Tried the very latest beta drivers for your 460?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3800mhz

4gb DDR3 1600 CL 8

MSI GTX 460 @ 922 mhz / 2100 mhz

Posted 10/18/2010 12:19 AM   

Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues, or aware of any fixes or solutions?[/quote]

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3800mhz

4gb DDR3 1600 CL 8

MSI GTX 460 @ 922 mhz / 2100 mhz

Posted 10/18/2010 12:19 AM   
[quote name='FalconBlade' post='1132298' date='Oct 17 2010, 05:19 PM']Runs fine on my system. Did you make sure you fully cleaned out the ATI drivers? Tried the very latest beta drivers for your 460?[/quote]

Yes, I did a full clean and ran driver sweeper. And I am running the current beta drivers right now. Every other game works flawlessly, it's only Mafia II that has any issues.
[quote name='FalconBlade' post='1132298' date='Oct 17 2010, 05:19 PM']Runs fine on my system. Did you make sure you fully cleaned out the ATI drivers? Tried the very latest beta drivers for your 460?

Yes, I did a full clean and ran driver sweeper. And I am running the current beta drivers right now. Every other game works flawlessly, it's only Mafia II that has any issues.

Posted 10/18/2010 12:46 AM   
[quote name='FalconBlade' post='1132298' date='Oct 17 2010, 05:19 PM']Runs fine on my system. Did you make sure you fully cleaned out the ATI drivers? Tried the very latest beta drivers for your 460?[/quote]

[quote name='FalconBlade' post='1132298' date='Oct 17 2010, 05:19 PM']Runs fine on my system. Did you make sure you fully cleaned out the ATI drivers? Tried the very latest beta drivers for your 460?

Posted 10/18/2010 12:46 AM   
I took some screenshots of the texture issue. Excuse the poor quality, as fraps would only let me take .bmp pictures, and I think they got compressed.

Picture 1: Notice the shop windows are black when I'm standing at a distance

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/hvayiw.jpg[/img]

Picture 2: As I approach them, they show their true texture

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/2ezmypl.jpg[/img]
I took some screenshots of the texture issue. Excuse the poor quality, as fraps would only let me take .bmp pictures, and I think they got compressed.

Posted 10/21/2010 04:42 AM   

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/hvayiw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/2ezmypl.jpg[/img]

Posted 10/21/2010 04:42 AM   
Scroll To Top