DVI output not working GeForce FX 5200
Hi, I got the GeForce FX 5200 card (128MB) along with a desktop. The card has both a DVI-D and a VGA connector. It was working fine, connected to an LCD display via DVI-D, until one day the screen went blank while the computer was still running. The connections seemed OK, and after I switched to a VGA cable (on the VGA connectors on both ends), it displayed fine again. So I never bothered to figure out what went wrong (thought it was the DVI cable).

Today I bought a new DVI-D cable... Same problem. The LCD display just wouldn't recognize the DVI signal. I don't have another LCD with a DVI connector, so I can't really tell whether it's because my LCD display's DVI went busted.

Is there any way to diagnose the DVI port on the GeForce card? I hooked up the computer to this LCD via DVI-D, and to another LCD via VGA (which has no DVI). The 2nd LCD on VGA displays fine. The first LCD on DVI is blank.

The driver has been upgraded to the latest one released on 2008.07.09.

Through the LCD on VGA, I checked the display settings (running windows XP SP3), and could only see one monitor in display settings. I thought I'd see two, but there was only one. I ran the "vigorously detect other monitors" function in the nVidia management console software that came with the latest driver, and it couldn't detect the monitor on DVI.

Device driver list only shows one display adapter. Should I see two if the GF 5200 card has both an DVI and an VGA port?

How do I figure out why DVI-D isn't working here? Thanks,
Hi, I got the GeForce FX 5200 card (128MB) along with a desktop. The card has both a DVI-D and a VGA connector. It was working fine, connected to an LCD display via DVI-D, until one day the screen went blank while the computer was still running. The connections seemed OK, and after I switched to a VGA cable (on the VGA connectors on both ends), it displayed fine again. So I never bothered to figure out what went wrong (thought it was the DVI cable).

Today I bought a new DVI-D cable... Same problem. The LCD display just wouldn't recognize the DVI signal. I don't have another LCD with a DVI connector, so I can't really tell whether it's because my LCD display's DVI went busted.

Is there any way to diagnose the DVI port on the GeForce card? I hooked up the computer to this LCD via DVI-D, and to another LCD via VGA (which has no DVI). The 2nd LCD on VGA displays fine. The first LCD on DVI is blank.

Through the LCD on VGA, I checked the display settings (running windows XP SP3), and could only see one monitor in display settings. I thought I'd see two, but there was only one. I ran the "vigorously detect other monitors" function in the nVidia management console software that came with the latest driver, and it couldn't detect the monitor on DVI.

Device driver list only shows one display adapter. Should I see two if the GF 5200 card has both an DVI and an VGA port?

Posted 10/17/2010 08:01 AM   

Posted 10/17/2010 08:01 AM   
[quote name='workflow' post='1131934' date='Oct 17 2010, 04:01 AM']Hi, I got the GeForce FX 5200 card (128MB) along with a desktop. The card has both a DVI-D and a VGA connector. It was working fine, connected to an LCD display via DVI-D, until one day the screen went blank while the computer was still running. The connections seemed OK, and after I switched to a VGA cable (on the VGA connectors on both ends), it displayed fine again. So I never bothered to figure out what went wrong (thought it was the DVI cable).

How do I figure out why DVI-D isn't working here? Thanks,[/quote]

Can't quite help you answer some of your specific questions, take a look at my post (a couple above yours - [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183135"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183135[/url]. You'll see i had a similar probrlem. Nvidia GeForce 700/630n, monitor with vga and dvi inputs, using dvi input and screen went blank while in DVI but OK with VGA. Was able to test cables (even temporariily bought a new dvi-hdmi cable). Everything worked with vga and nothing worked with dvi. My conclusion: Spontaneoulsly fried dvi port. So now I'm living with analog and not digital. And, from what I've read, it may not make that much of a difference in screen quality...
[quote name='workflow' post='1131934' date='Oct 17 2010, 04:01 AM']Hi, I got the GeForce FX 5200 card (128MB) along with a desktop. The card has both a DVI-D and a VGA connector. It was working fine, connected to an LCD display via DVI-D, until one day the screen went blank while the computer was still running. The connections seemed OK, and after I switched to a VGA cable (on the VGA connectors on both ends), it displayed fine again. So I never bothered to figure out what went wrong (thought it was the DVI cable).

Can't quite help you answer some of your specific questions, take a look at my post (a couple above yours - http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183135. You'll see i had a similar probrlem. Nvidia GeForce 700/630n, monitor with vga and dvi inputs, using dvi input and screen went blank while in DVI but OK with VGA. Was able to test cables (even temporariily bought a new dvi-hdmi cable). Everything worked with vga and nothing worked with dvi. My conclusion: Spontaneoulsly fried dvi port. So now I'm living with analog and not digital. And, from what I've read, it may not make that much of a difference in screen quality...

Posted 10/19/2010 01:02 PM   

How do I figure out why DVI-D isn't working here? Thanks,[/quote]

Can't quite help you answer some of your specific questions, take a look at my post (a couple above yours - [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183135"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183135[/url]. You'll see i had a similar probrlem. Nvidia GeForce 700/630n, monitor with vga and dvi inputs, using dvi input and screen went blank while in DVI but OK with VGA. Was able to test cables (even temporariily bought a new dvi-hdmi cable). Everything worked with vga and nothing worked with dvi. My conclusion: Spontaneoulsly fried dvi port. So now I'm living with analog and not digital. And, from what I've read, it may not make that much of a difference in screen quality...

Can't quite help you answer some of your specific questions, take a look at my post (a couple above yours - http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183135. You'll see i had a similar probrlem. Nvidia GeForce 700/630n, monitor with vga and dvi inputs, using dvi input and screen went blank while in DVI but OK with VGA. Was able to test cables (even temporariily bought a new dvi-hdmi cable). Everything worked with vga and nothing worked with dvi. My conclusion: Spontaneoulsly fried dvi port. So now I'm living with analog and not digital. And, from what I've read, it may not make that much of a difference in screen quality...

Posted 10/19/2010 01:02 PM   
Scroll To Top