Here goes a little help to the people having GTX 400 freezing problems, even at POST (NOT SOUND RELA
  1 / 7    
Hi guys, I originally posted this at the EVGA forums so I'll just paste the original post here.

Original post:

Topic: Here goes a little help to the people having GTX 460 freezing problems (even at POST)

Hi people, I'm writing this post to give a little help to the people who are having freezing problems on GTX 460, I don't know if it will work for everybody or for the other 400 models, but it's better then nothing.
I was having constant freezing problems on my GTX 460, the worse part was that I was having them even at POST, so it pretty much ruled out driver problems (disabling the sound did nothing for me). It was a complete nightmare to be able to start my computer, I had to press the power button, literally, 30 times so it would boot into windows only to freeze five minutes later. The symptoms pointed at a hardware failure, hardware incompatibility or bad BIOS configuration (I ruled out PSU because I knew it was more than enough). Since I didn't want to rma it just yet I started tweaking every bios option I could find (pressing the damn power button 30 times in every try). I think I was able to isolate the problem to the PCI Express frequency.
I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and like many ASUS motherboards it auto overclocks some stuff if you leave it in auto. Just set it to 100Mhz manually (the default value for PCIE) and see if it helps. Try it out even if you have another motherboard brand.
In the past weeks I've been looking to a lot of forums searching for a solution, and theres A LOT of people with these problems out there, with every card brand, not just evga. Some even have to reset the bios everytime they want to use the computer.
If you're one of those people or the sound disabling solution didn't solve the problem I hope this works out for you, if it doesn't post a message and I'll give you some more settings I've tried but they might be ASUS motherboards specific (I still think that the only culprit is the PCI Express frequency).
Hopefully there will be no need to return a nice piece of hardware.

PS: I'm sorry for my bad English and the lack of a more structured post but I'm a bit tired right now.

I only want to add that I've tried disabling everything, including the kitchen sink at BIOS level and it just kept freezing so I ruled out IRQ problems with the audio/gigabit/kitchen sink.
I didn't try to enable the sound drivers on windows to see if that was solved too, when or if I do I'll post the results.
Hi guys, I originally posted this at the EVGA forums so I'll just paste the original post here.

Original post:

Topic: Here goes a little help to the people having GTX 460 freezing problems (even at POST)

Hi people, I'm writing this post to give a little help to the people who are having freezing problems on GTX 460, I don't know if it will work for everybody or for the other 400 models, but it's better then nothing.

I was having constant freezing problems on my GTX 460, the worse part was that I was having them even at POST, so it pretty much ruled out driver problems (disabling the sound did nothing for me). It was a complete nightmare to be able to start my computer, I had to press the power button, literally, 30 times so it would boot into windows only to freeze five minutes later. The symptoms pointed at a hardware failure, hardware incompatibility or bad BIOS configuration (I ruled out PSU because I knew it was more than enough). Since I didn't want to rma it just yet I started tweaking every bios option I could find (pressing the damn power button 30 times in every try). I think I was able to isolate the problem to the PCI Express frequency.

I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and like many ASUS motherboards it auto overclocks some stuff if you leave it in auto. Just set it to 100Mhz manually (the default value for PCIE) and see if it helps. Try it out even if you have another motherboard brand.

In the past weeks I've been looking to a lot of forums searching for a solution, and theres A LOT of people with these problems out there, with every card brand, not just evga. Some even have to reset the bios everytime they want to use the computer.

If you're one of those people or the sound disabling solution didn't solve the problem I hope this works out for you, if it doesn't post a message and I'll give you some more settings I've tried but they might be ASUS motherboards specific (I still think that the only culprit is the PCI Express frequency).

PS: I'm sorry for my bad English and the lack of a more structured post but I'm a bit tired right now.

I only want to add that I've tried disabling everything, including the kitchen sink at BIOS level and it just kept freezing so I ruled out IRQ problems with the audio/gigabit/kitchen sink.

I didn't try to enable the sound drivers on windows to see if that was solved too, when or if I do I'll post the results.

Posted 10/16/2010 02:09 PM   

Original post:

Original post:

Posted 10/16/2010 02:09 PM   
So, locking the PCI-E bus at 100MHz has fixed the problem for you?

Nice work and well spotted.

Hope this helps some other people with similar problems.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/17/2010 12:48 PM   

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/17/2010 12:48 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1132021' date='Oct 17 2010, 01:48 PM']So, locking the PCI-E bus at 100MHz has fixed the problem for you?

Hope this helps some other people with similar problems.[/quote]
Actually it was not only that, asus motherboards have some sort of auto overclocking at BIOS level (PEG Link mode and other stuff, if you're interested), so I had to set some options manually instead of letting them in auto. I don't recall the name of all of them but they all start by PEG and are related to PCIE speeds an power.
After that it stopped freezing at the POST screen but started freezing in windows, so I did some investigating.
I have an EVGA GTX 460 board so I fired up EVGA Precision wich lets you see some values related to core/memory speeds and noticed that sometimes the core speed wouldn't clock down to 50Mhz when in 2D mode and after some time the system would froze. After some testing I was able to relate it to Adobe Flash, I think.
If you boot the pc and open EVGA Precision you'll notice that after a few seconds the clock goes down to 50Mhz, nothing unusual here.
If you next open IE, go to youtube and open a video you'll notice the core speeding up to 405Mhz, which is normal since flash 10.1 has GPU acceleration.
After you've seen the video and close the IE window you'll notice that the core goes back to 50Mhz, and again nothing new here.
Now comes the weird thing, if you open up a youtube video and put another one loading up in a new window in the background, after you've seen them both and close IE, the core never goes back to 50Mhz.
This is either related to Adobe Flash or card drivers. I don't know if this happens in other browsers, didn't test it yet.
So far the solution I found was to simply disable hardware acceleration on flash.
Didn't froze yet, if anything changes I'll post it here.
[quote name='Discordia' post='1132021' date='Oct 17 2010, 01:48 PM']So, locking the PCI-E bus at 100MHz has fixed the problem for you?

Actually it was not only that, asus motherboards have some sort of auto overclocking at BIOS level (PEG Link mode and other stuff, if you're interested), so I had to set some options manually instead of letting them in auto. I don't recall the name of all of them but they all start by PEG and are related to PCIE speeds an power.

After that it stopped freezing at the POST screen but started freezing in windows, so I did some investigating.

I have an EVGA GTX 460 board so I fired up EVGA Precision wich lets you see some values related to core/memory speeds and noticed that sometimes the core speed wouldn't clock down to 50Mhz when in 2D mode and after some time the system would froze. After some testing I was able to relate it to Adobe Flash, I think.

If you boot the pc and open EVGA Precision you'll notice that after a few seconds the clock goes down to 50Mhz, nothing unusual here.

If you next open IE, go to youtube and open a video you'll notice the core speeding up to 405Mhz, which is normal since flash 10.1 has GPU acceleration.

After you've seen the video and close the IE window you'll notice that the core goes back to 50Mhz, and again nothing new here.

Now comes the weird thing, if you open up a youtube video and put another one loading up in a new window in the background, after you've seen them both and close IE, the core never goes back to 50Mhz.

This is either related to Adobe Flash or card drivers. I don't know if this happens in other browsers, didn't test it yet.

So far the solution I found was to simply disable hardware acceleration on flash.

Posted 10/17/2010 05:56 PM   

Hope this helps some other people with similar problems.[/quote]

Posted 10/17/2010 05:56 PM   
[quote name='Nwik' post='1132126' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:56 PM']Actually it was not only that, asus motherboards have some sort of auto overclocking at BIOS level (PEG Link mode and other stuff, if you're interested), so I had to set some options manually instead of letting them in auto. I don't recall the name of all of them but they all start by PEG and are related to PCIE speeds an power.
Didn't froze yet, if anything changes I'll post it here.[/quote]
Dammit, it just froze twice in MOH.
When I bought this card I remember playing through Crysis anda Crysis Warhead without a problem, now it's a pain to use it.
[quote name='Nwik' post='1132126' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:56 PM']Actually it was not only that, asus motherboards have some sort of auto overclocking at BIOS level (PEG Link mode and other stuff, if you're interested), so I had to set some options manually instead of letting them in auto. I don't recall the name of all of them but they all start by PEG and are related to PCIE speeds an power.

When I bought this card I remember playing through Crysis anda Crysis Warhead without a problem, now it's a pain to use it.

Posted 10/17/2010 09:32 PM   
Didn't froze yet, if anything changes I'll post it here.[/quote]

Posted 10/17/2010 09:32 PM   
[quote name='Nwik' post='1132238' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:32 PM']Dammit, it just froze twice in MOH.
When I bought this card I remember playing through Crysis anda Crysis Warhead without a problem, now it's a pain to use it.[/quote]

Hi people

I have the same issues as you do (especially as Nwik).
I tried all possible Nvidia drivers and solutions posted in this and other forums - no change
I also tried to fix the PCI-E frequency to 100 Mhz - no success.

Two days ago i changed under the nvidia control panel the point energy/power management from "adaptiv" to "maximal performance" - sorry for bad translation, ive the german version of nvidia drivers.
Now my system isnt freezing so often.

My System:

MB: ASUS p5q Pro Turbo (newest Bios version), no OC
CPU: Intel Core2Duo Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz @2.4Ghz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 (Corsair)
VGA: Gainward GeForce® GTX 460 1024MB "GS-GLH" (dev. driver version 260.93 installed)
SC: Creative SB X-Fi
HD: 2x Samsung, 1x WD over SATA
PS: BeQuiet 650W

Yesterday i wrote an email to Gainward - no answer until now.

Best regards from Switzerland
[quote name='Nwik' post='1132238' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:32 PM']Dammit, it just froze twice in MOH.

Hi people

I tried all possible Nvidia drivers and solutions posted in this and other forums - no change

Two days ago i changed under the nvidia control panel the point energy/power management from "adaptiv" to "maximal performance" - sorry for bad translation, ive the german version of nvidia drivers.

My System:

VGA: Gainward GeForce® GTX 460 1024MB "GS-GLH" (dev. driver version 260.93 installed)

Posted 10/22/2010 10:12 AM   
When I bought this card I remember playing through Crysis anda Crysis Warhead without a problem, now it's a pain to use it.[/quote]

Hi people

My System:

Hi people

My System:

Posted 10/22/2010 10:12 AM   
[quote name='Nwik' post='1132238' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:32 PM']Dammit, it just froze twice in MOH.[/quote]

I get crashes in MOH, too. Only in multiplayer, though, so I put it down to the game, rather than the card.

I get crashes in MOH, too. Only in multiplayer, though, so I put it down to the game, rather than the card.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/22/2010 12:12 PM   
[quote name='Nwik' post='1132238' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:32 PM']Dammit, it just froze twice in MOH.[/quote]

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/22/2010 12:12 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1134910' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:12 PM']I get crashes in MOH, too. Only in multiplayer, though, so I put it down to the game, rather than the card.[/quote]

Yep me to, well doesnt crash as such just goes to desktop randomly and the game is closed lol.
[quote name='Discordia' post='1134910' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:12 PM']I get crashes in MOH, too. Only in multiplayer, though, so I put it down to the game, rather than the card.

Yep me to, well doesnt crash as such just goes to desktop randomly and the game is closed lol.

Posted 10/22/2010 12:26 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1134910' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:12 PM']I get crashes in MOH, too. Only in multiplayer, though, so I put it down to the game, rather than the card.[/quote]

[quote name='Discordia' post='1134910' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:12 PM']I get crashes in MOH, too. Only in multiplayer, though, so I put it down to the game, rather than the card.

Posted 10/22/2010 12:26 PM   
Hi Again

Yesterday evening the random freezes came back (especially at win7 welcome screen)!
I tried to disable/uninstall my X-FI Gamer card - no success concerning freezes.

Finally i installed my old Gainward 8800GT and its just working smooth and perfect (nvidia driver 206.89 whql).
The GTX 460 has been installed into my "old" WINXP SP3 (32bit) system - and guess what: Its working superb!

In my opinion there is a issue combination between win7 (64bit), gtx 460 fermi-chip and drivers (vga, win7 drivers).
The last 5 days i had twice BSODs caused by the Microsoft Windows driver called "hdaudbus.sys". hmm..........?!?

Is there somebody with same experiences?

Again, sorry for my bad english.

greetz
Hi Again

Yesterday evening the random freezes came back (especially at win7 welcome screen)!

I tried to disable/uninstall my X-FI Gamer card - no success concerning freezes.

Finally i installed my old Gainward 8800GT and its just working smooth and perfect (nvidia driver 206.89 whql).

The GTX 460 has been installed into my "old" WINXP SP3 (32bit) system - and guess what: Its working superb!

In my opinion there is a issue combination between win7 (64bit), gtx 460 fermi-chip and drivers (vga, win7 drivers).

The last 5 days i had twice BSODs caused by the Microsoft Windows driver called "hdaudbus.sys". hmm..........?!?

Is there somebody with same experiences?

Again, sorry for my bad english.

greetz

Posted 10/23/2010 09:45 AM   
  1 / 7    
Scroll To Top