GeForce 8600GT RAMDAC output pins
My card is a GeForce 8600GT 256MB.

I have a projector with an analog connection, so it's very important for me a good analog output from my graphics card. I've been using NVidia cards because theirs are better than others.

To improve it even further, I bought (some years ago) a kit that consists of an analog section with a better quality low pass filter, so to achieve the better results ideally I should connect the three R,G,B wires directly at the output of the RAMDAC (or close to that), to completely bypass the low pass filter from the graphics card. Unfortunately, I cannot find the right points where to solder the wires. :">

On my previous card (6800LE) I soldered the wires to the points that connect to the output connector, hence not by-passing the low pass filter. The quality was better, because the kit has BNC output connectors and then I use good quality coaxial cables with them, but I am sure that I would be able to improve it even further if I could bypass the card's output filter...

Now I have decided to transfer the kit to my 8600GT card, and decided to post here in the hope that someone could be able to help me find the correct points...

I'm sure someone from NVidia could be able to tell me where I could get the "pure" signal that comes from the RAMDACs on the gpu chip, but I also know that it might be an unanswerable question... If you cannot post it on a public forum, feel free to PM me with the info.

My warranty has already ended, and of course I will be responsible for any damage that might occur.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

I have a projector with an analog connection, so it's very important for me a good analog output from my graphics card. I've been using NVidia cards because theirs are better than others.

To improve it even further, I bought (some years ago) a kit that consists of an analog section with a better quality low pass filter, so to achieve the better results ideally I should connect the three R,G,B wires directly at the output of the RAMDAC (or close to that), to completely bypass the low pass filter from the graphics card. Unfortunately, I cannot find the right points where to solder the wires. :">

On my previous card (6800LE) I soldered the wires to the points that connect to the output connector, hence not by-passing the low pass filter. The quality was better, because the kit has BNC output connectors and then I use good quality coaxial cables with them, but I am sure that I would be able to improve it even further if I could bypass the card's output filter...

Now I have decided to transfer the kit to my 8600GT card, and decided to post here in the hope that someone could be able to help me find the correct points...

I'm sure someone from NVidia could be able to tell me where I could get the "pure" signal that comes from the RAMDACs on the gpu chip, but I also know that it might be an unanswerable question... If you cannot post it on a public forum, feel free to PM me with the info.

My warranty has already ended, and of course I will be responsible for any damage that might occur.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Posted 10/06/2010 06:22 PM   

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Posted 10/06/2010 06:22 PM   
[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']The RAMDAC on my sick Zotac 8600 GT is a small surface mounted device that would be very hard to work with.[/quote]
It doesn't has to be right on the RAMDAC... aren't there any other components that are connected to it where it would be easier to sold three thin wires? If you can tell me where is located the RAMDAC I could try looking for it...
Do you need a picture from my card? Is it located on the GPU side of the board, or on the other side?

It's interesting that the RAMDAC is an external component, because from reading the GPU specs it specifies it contains a double RAMDAC... Is it not used, or am I missing something?

[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']Better is to simply get a better DVI monitor and move on.[/quote]
Unfortunately that's not an option, because it's a video projector, not a monitor. Of course I would prefer to buy a new projector with a DVI/HDMI input, but I can't afford it. If I would not be able to connect it after the RAMDAC, i will connect it as before, on the output connector solder points...

Regards.
[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']The RAMDAC on my sick Zotac 8600 GT is a small surface mounted device that would be very hard to work with.

It doesn't has to be right on the RAMDAC... aren't there any other components that are connected to it where it would be easier to sold three thin wires? If you can tell me where is located the RAMDAC I could try looking for it...

Do you need a picture from my card? Is it located on the GPU side of the board, or on the other side?

It's interesting that the RAMDAC is an external component, because from reading the GPU specs it specifies it contains a double RAMDAC... Is it not used, or am I missing something?

[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']Better is to simply get a better DVI monitor and move on.

Unfortunately that's not an option, because it's a video projector, not a monitor. Of course I would prefer to buy a new projector with a DVI/HDMI input, but I can't afford it. If I would not be able to connect it after the RAMDAC, i will connect it as before, on the output connector solder points...

Regards.

Posted 10/06/2010 10:36 PM   
[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']The RAMDAC on my sick Zotac 8600 GT is a small surface mounted device that would be very hard to work with.[/quote]

[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']Better is to simply get a better DVI monitor and move on.[/quote]

Regards.
[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']The RAMDAC on my sick Zotac 8600 GT is a small surface mounted device that would be very hard to work with.

[quote name='Vegan' post='1127219' date='Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM']Better is to simply get a better DVI monitor and move on.

Regards.

Posted 10/06/2010 10:36 PM   
Really?... but considering each card has two outputs, each output has 3 components ( R,G,B ), and the DACs are 10bit, wouldn't that be a really high number of resistors (60 per output)?
Really?... but considering each card has two outputs, each output has 3 components ( R,G,B ), and the DACs are 10bit, wouldn't that be a really high number of resistors (60 per output)?

Posted 10/07/2010 10:01 PM   

Posted 10/07/2010 10:01 PM   
Just a quick note to say that I have solved my problem. I've discovered the low pass filter components and bypassed it by soldering the wires before it.

The image is much better now. :)
Just a quick note to say that I have solved my problem. I've discovered the low pass filter components and bypassed it by soldering the wires before it.

Posted 10/10/2010 12:31 PM   

Posted 10/10/2010 12:31 PM   
Scroll To Top