Voltage Overclocking GTX 470, What Negative Impacts?
  1 / 2    
I have an EVGA GTX 470 SC. The stock voltages are 0.875 at idle desktop, 0.975 when playing games. I downloaded MSI afterburner and kombuster. I upped the voltage to 1.037 and have been able to push the core to 800MHz. 1714MHz on the memory. Anyway, I am pushing the fan speed to 90% and my temps reach high 70s at most. These are the regular default temps anyway. I have had no lockups, artifacts, or problems in any games, kombuster, or tech demoes so far.

What negative impact can I expect my gfx card to have with the upped voltage? I know temps are very important to keep low, and with the colder months coming, I'm not worried about it. Should I expect my GFX card to fry in one year?
I have an EVGA GTX 470 SC. The stock voltages are 0.875 at idle desktop, 0.975 when playing games. I downloaded MSI afterburner and kombuster. I upped the voltage to 1.037 and have been able to push the core to 800MHz. 1714MHz on the memory. Anyway, I am pushing the fan speed to 90% and my temps reach high 70s at most. These are the regular default temps anyway. I have had no lockups, artifacts, or problems in any games, kombuster, or tech demoes so far.

What negative impact can I expect my gfx card to have with the upped voltage? I know temps are very important to keep low, and with the colder months coming, I'm not worried about it. Should I expect my GFX card to fry in one year?

[Monitor]: Acer H5360 3D 720p Projector on 80" Screen

[CPU]: INTEL i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz

[CPU Cooler]: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

[RAM]: Corsair Vengeance 4GB @ 1,866MHz

[Mobo]: MSI P67A-GD65

[GPU]: eVGA GTX 580SC @ 920 / 1840 / 2065

[PSU]: Corsair AX850 80+ Gold

[HDD]: Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10k RPM

[Case]: Antec Three Hundred

[OS]: Windows 7 x64

[3DMark06 Score]: 31,048

Posted 10/05/2010 05:03 PM   

Posted 10/05/2010 05:03 PM   
Well, in theory, raising the Voltage can shorten the life of the GPU. But the manufacturers (while evil) are not stupid. They know perfectly well that the chip can run at 800MHz with a Voltage of 1.087, or whatever. So they have limited the Voltage that you can apply to safe levels and set the clock speed at 600MHz, where it will run at 0.975V

That way, you can up the Voltage and increase the clock speed without exceeding the limits they already know are safe. You feel good because you think you have gotten something for nothing, though all you have really achieved is to return the card to it's true capability.

Also, this strategy reduces the risk of warranty returns from people who have poor quality cases with no airflow, causing their cards to overheat. The cards shut down for their own protection if they get above about 100c, anyway. People like this are unlikely to be overclocking, as they obviously don't know what they're doing!

My 470s also go to 815MHz easily at about the same Voltage as yours. The memory goes to 1830. I'm not actually running mine at those speeds, though. I've left them at 700/1715 to keep the temperatures and noise down. I have 2 cards and they do heat each other up sat right next to one another. With 2 cards, I don't really need 800MHz, anyway. At 700, I can leave the fans on Auto.

If those 70c temperatures you have quoted are load temperatures, it sounds like you have good cooling. So, you should be OK. Actually, 1.037V is quite low for that speed, which is another good sign. Mine need a couple of notches more than that.
Well, in theory, raising the Voltage can shorten the life of the GPU. But the manufacturers (while evil) are not stupid. They know perfectly well that the chip can run at 800MHz with a Voltage of 1.087, or whatever. So they have limited the Voltage that you can apply to safe levels and set the clock speed at 600MHz, where it will run at 0.975V

That way, you can up the Voltage and increase the clock speed without exceeding the limits they already know are safe. You feel good because you think you have gotten something for nothing, though all you have really achieved is to return the card to it's true capability.

Also, this strategy reduces the risk of warranty returns from people who have poor quality cases with no airflow, causing their cards to overheat. The cards shut down for their own protection if they get above about 100c, anyway. People like this are unlikely to be overclocking, as they obviously don't know what they're doing!

My 470s also go to 815MHz easily at about the same Voltage as yours. The memory goes to 1830. I'm not actually running mine at those speeds, though. I've left them at 700/1715 to keep the temperatures and noise down. I have 2 cards and they do heat each other up sat right next to one another. With 2 cards, I don't really need 800MHz, anyway. At 700, I can leave the fans on Auto.

If those 70c temperatures you have quoted are load temperatures, it sounds like you have good cooling. So, you should be OK. Actually, 1.037V is quite low for that speed, which is another good sign. Mine need a couple of notches more than that.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/05/2010 05:54 PM   

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/05/2010 05:54 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1126714' date='Oct 5 2010, 01:54 PM']Well, in theory, raising the Voltage can shorten the life of the GPU. But the manufacturers (while evil) are not stupid. They know perfectly well that the chip can run at 800MHz with a Voltage of 1.087, or whatever. So they have limited the Voltage that you can apply to safe levels and set the clock speed at 600MHz, where it will run at 0.975V

If those 70c temperatures you have quoted are load temperatures, it sounds like you have good cooling. So, you should be OK. Actually, 1.037V is quite low for that speed, which is another good sign. Mine need a couple of notches more than that.[/quote]

Well, strangely the only game or program that acts wierd is Crysis. Any core OC over 750MHz will cause this subtle static sound during the game when sound effects are played. It doesn't matter if the voltage is 1.037 or 1.087, same thing to the same degree. I put all the stock clocks at 1.037 voltage and the crackly sound went away. No other strange effects, no artifacts either.
[quote name='Discordia' post='1126714' date='Oct 5 2010, 01:54 PM']Well, in theory, raising the Voltage can shorten the life of the GPU. But the manufacturers (while evil) are not stupid. They know perfectly well that the chip can run at 800MHz with a Voltage of 1.087, or whatever. So they have limited the Voltage that you can apply to safe levels and set the clock speed at 600MHz, where it will run at 0.975V

Well, strangely the only game or program that acts wierd is Crysis. Any core OC over 750MHz will cause this subtle static sound during the game when sound effects are played. It doesn't matter if the voltage is 1.037 or 1.087, same thing to the same degree. I put all the stock clocks at 1.037 voltage and the crackly sound went away. No other strange effects, no artifacts either.

Posted 10/05/2010 07:27 PM   

If those 70c temperatures you have quoted are load temperatures, it sounds like you have good cooling. So, you should be OK. Actually, 1.037V is quite low for that speed, which is another good sign. Mine need a couple of notches more than that.[/quote]

Posted 10/05/2010 07:27 PM   
Crysis is weird. And very sensitive to overclocks of any kind.

I've had CPU overclocks that could survive Prime95 all night but wouldn't last 30 seconds in Crysis. And GPU overclocks that could run OCCT for hours but would crash after 2 minutes of Crysis, despite the temperatures being 10c lower.

Conversely, I have had Crysis run fine when other games have had problems, but that's due to other factors, I'm sure.

That's not to say you can't run it on overclocked hardware. All my hardware is overclocked and Crysis runs great on it. It's just impossible to predict whether it will like something or not.

I've had CPU overclocks that could survive Prime95 all night but wouldn't last 30 seconds in Crysis. And GPU overclocks that could run OCCT for hours but would crash after 2 minutes of Crysis, despite the temperatures being 10c lower.

Conversely, I have had Crysis run fine when other games have had problems, but that's due to other factors, I'm sure.

That's not to say you can't run it on overclocked hardware. All my hardware is overclocked and Crysis runs great on it. It's just impossible to predict whether it will like something or not.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/05/2010 10:18 PM   

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/05/2010 10:18 PM   
The number one factor in longevity of electronics is heat. As you know, increasing voltages in turn increases the amount of heat being generated. With this said, as long as you keep the GPU cooled at a reasonable level, it will last you a good while.
The number one factor in longevity of electronics is heat. As you know, increasing voltages in turn increases the amount of heat being generated. With this said, as long as you keep the GPU cooled at a reasonable level, it will last you a good while.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3800mhz

4gb DDR3 1600 CL 8

MSI GTX 460 @ 922 mhz / 2100 mhz

Posted 10/06/2010 12:14 AM   

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3800mhz

4gb DDR3 1600 CL 8

MSI GTX 460 @ 922 mhz / 2100 mhz

Posted 10/06/2010 12:14 AM   
I found a pretty good compromise at 725/1450/1775 with the fan at 80%. Vcore is at 1.012, these settings are completey stable in everything. I can run pretty much all my games at 1080p maxed out at 60fps with vsync and the GPU never reaches 80c unless I'm running MSI kombuster for 15 mins. Only the Unigine tech demoes can run better at over 800 MHz core, which I can also easily do. I believe this will be my best compromise between OC performance and longevity of the video card's life.

I installed the EVGA aluminum backplate today, along with the high-flow rear vent plate. I also cut out the additional support pillars, so only three remain on the rear vent plate. I can't really comment on whether it made a difference yet, because today is much warmer than yesterday outside, and I'm keeping my window open. But, from the various tests and reviews online, I'm sure there is a little of a temperature difference.
I found a pretty good compromise at 725/1450/1775 with the fan at 80%. Vcore is at 1.012, these settings are completey stable in everything. I can run pretty much all my games at 1080p maxed out at 60fps with vsync and the GPU never reaches 80c unless I'm running MSI kombuster for 15 mins. Only the Unigine tech demoes can run better at over 800 MHz core, which I can also easily do. I believe this will be my best compromise between OC performance and longevity of the video card's life.

I installed the EVGA aluminum backplate today, along with the high-flow rear vent plate. I also cut out the additional support pillars, so only three remain on the rear vent plate. I can't really comment on whether it made a difference yet, because today is much warmer than yesterday outside, and I'm keeping my window open. But, from the various tests and reviews online, I'm sure there is a little of a temperature difference.

Posted 10/07/2010 11:31 PM   

Posted 10/07/2010 11:31 PM   
Sounds good.

Will the Voltage not go any lower than that at 725MHz? I don't even have to increase the Voltage to get mine to run at 700. You were able to reach 815MHz with only 1.037, so I would have thought you could get 725MHz with less than 1V.
Sounds good.

Will the Voltage not go any lower than that at 725MHz? I don't even have to increase the Voltage to get mine to run at 700. You were able to reach 815MHz with only 1.037, so I would have thought you could get 725MHz with less than 1V.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/08/2010 12:22 PM   
Sounds good.

Sounds good.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 10/08/2010 12:22 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1127993' date='Oct 8 2010, 08:22 AM']Sounds good.

Will the Voltage not go any lower than that at 725MHz? I don't even have to increase the Voltage to get mine to run at 700. You were able to reach 815MHz with only 1.037, so I would have thought you could get 725MHz with less than 1V.[/quote]

Well I upped the core to 740/1510 from my previous numbers and ran lots of games, tech demoes, and tests. It seems stable with no problems at all, running at 1.012v. I just upped it to 755 core and will do all the same tests. The only time temp goes up to 80c is if I'm using kombuster. All games and tech demoes see high 70Cs at most, fan speed at 75%. I'm going to keep pushing it and see what I can get at minimal voltage increases. :) It's funny because if I just leave the fan on auto, and all stock clocks, the GPU reaches mid-high 80Cs. I feel the fan at 75C is the best compromise between annoying sound and performance.
[quote name='Discordia' post='1127993' date='Oct 8 2010, 08:22 AM']Sounds good.

Well I upped the core to 740/1510 from my previous numbers and ran lots of games, tech demoes, and tests. It seems stable with no problems at all, running at 1.012v. I just upped it to 755 core and will do all the same tests. The only time temp goes up to 80c is if I'm using kombuster. All games and tech demoes see high 70Cs at most, fan speed at 75%. I'm going to keep pushing it and see what I can get at minimal voltage increases. :) It's funny because if I just leave the fan on auto, and all stock clocks, the GPU reaches mid-high 80Cs. I feel the fan at 75C is the best compromise between annoying sound and performance.

Posted 10/08/2010 09:44 PM