ION2 DXVA Video Artifacts
  1 / 2    
I've been using the Lenovo Q150 ION 2 for a while now for local video playback and I'm quite pleased with everything except for just a few MKV h.264 videos when using hardware acceleration. The same videos play fine on other PC's in the house, and they play accurately (though choppy) when using software decoding on the Q150. It's only when using DXVA or CUDA does it give me problems. I've tried everything I can think of including FFDShow, MPC-HC, CoreAVC, DivX MF, and even XBMC (beta with DXVA2 support). They all have the same results if acceleration is enabled. A format and fresh install of Windows 7 x86 or x64 with updated DirectX and ION drivers is no help either. The corruption and artifacting is always in the same spot in the video. Screenshot below.

[url="http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fnwxl5&s=7"]Video Artifacts[/url]

Anyone else having these problems with hardware acceleration enabled? Normally I would just go with software decoding and call it a day but some videos get choppy during fast action scenes, so hardware acceleration is a must.

On a related note, I was able to update to the latest nvidia drivers by using the INF from laptopvideo2go in combination with official drivers from nvidia's site. Both drivers, the stock drivers from Lenovo and the latest ones from nvidia, had the same problem. I own two of these boxes and they both exhibit the same behavior so it seems to be pointing to a driver issue instead of a hardware problem. Anyone else?

This is cross posted on [url="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19159283#post19159283"]AVSforum[/url], but no direct response there yet.
I've been using the Lenovo Q150 ION 2 for a while now for local video playback and I'm quite pleased with everything except for just a few MKV h.264 videos when using hardware acceleration. The same videos play fine on other PC's in the house, and they play accurately (though choppy) when using software decoding on the Q150. It's only when using DXVA or CUDA does it give me problems. I've tried everything I can think of including FFDShow, MPC-HC, CoreAVC, DivX MF, and even XBMC (beta with DXVA2 support). They all have the same results if acceleration is enabled. A format and fresh install of Windows 7 x86 or x64 with updated DirectX and ION drivers is no help either. The corruption and artifacting is always in the same spot in the video. Screenshot below.

Video Artifacts

Anyone else having these problems with hardware acceleration enabled? Normally I would just go with software decoding and call it a day but some videos get choppy during fast action scenes, so hardware acceleration is a must.

On a related note, I was able to update to the latest nvidia drivers by using the INF from laptopvideo2go in combination with official drivers from nvidia's site. Both drivers, the stock drivers from Lenovo and the latest ones from nvidia, had the same problem. I own two of these boxes and they both exhibit the same behavior so it seems to be pointing to a driver issue instead of a hardware problem. Anyone else?

This is cross posted on AVSforum, but no direct response there yet.

Posted 09/23/2010 06:07 PM   

This is cross posted on [url="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19159283#post19159283"]AVSforum[/url], but no direct response there yet.

Video Artifacts

Posted 09/23/2010 06:07 PM   
[quote name='jahamala' post='1121484' date='Sep 23 2010, 07:07 PM']I've been using the Lenovo Q150 ION 2 for a while now for local video playback and I'm quite pleased with everything except for just a few MKV h.264 videos when using hardware acceleration. The same videos play fine on other PC's in the house, and they play accurately (though choppy) when using software decoding on the Q150. It's only when using DXVA or CUDA does it give me problems. I've tried everything I can think of including FFDShow, MPC-HC, CoreAVC, DivX MF, and even XBMC (beta with DXVA2 support). They all have the same results if acceleration is enabled. A format and fresh install of Windows 7 x86 or x64 with updated DirectX and ION drivers is no help either. The corruption and artifacting is always in the same spot in the video. Screenshot below.

This is cross posted on [url="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19159283#post19159283"]AVSforum[/url], but no direct response there yet.[/quote]

I have the exact same problem with my Shuttle XS35GT (using NG-ION, Windows 7 x64). As far as I can tell whenever CPU load goes to around 12%+ (average over the 4 cores) the screen "melt" corruption occurs. This means generally at initial start of playing movie, or rewind, or 4x play speed, or if there something else going on in the background - eg scanning of files for scraping or thumbnails etc. I also tried newer drivers with manual inf adjustments to get them to apply (197.45, 260.63 and one other in between).

I am caught in two minds now that XBMC supports DXVA whether to give up on the Linux route. Both solutions don't quite work as a proper HTPC because of the various wrong behaviours of Nvidia drivers. With the Windows DXVA can play my 60FPS1080P (AVC1 H264 L4.2) files smoothly - whereas I get 35fps or 47fps (depending on driver/test) only with VDPAU/Linux drivers. But with Windows I see no way to get both proper 23.976Hz and 24.000Hz playback to be possible without each time deleting and re-adding custom resolutions. In addition the handling of Video levels is incorrect (certainly with Windows) as trying to use Limited range or YCbCr444 mode both result in clipping luminance above 235 (which is not correct behaviour since movies do contain whites above this level) - and I can only assume Cb and Cr are likely also effectively incorrectly clipped above 240.

It amazes me that it appears that it after all this time it is still not possible to get video working "correctly" through a PC - or at least I can't find an way to do it.
[quote name='jahamala' post='1121484' date='Sep 23 2010, 07:07 PM']I've been using the Lenovo Q150 ION 2 for a while now for local video playback and I'm quite pleased with everything except for just a few MKV h.264 videos when using hardware acceleration. The same videos play fine on other PC's in the house, and they play accurately (though choppy) when using software decoding on the Q150. It's only when using DXVA or CUDA does it give me problems. I've tried everything I can think of including FFDShow, MPC-HC, CoreAVC, DivX MF, and even XBMC (beta with DXVA2 support). They all have the same results if acceleration is enabled. A format and fresh install of Windows 7 x86 or x64 with updated DirectX and ION drivers is no help either. The corruption and artifacting is always in the same spot in the video. Screenshot below.

Video Artifacts

I have the exact same problem with my Shuttle XS35GT (using NG-ION, Windows 7 x64). As far as I can tell whenever CPU load goes to around 12%+ (average over the 4 cores) the screen "melt" corruption occurs. This means generally at initial start of playing movie, or rewind, or 4x play speed, or if there something else going on in the background - eg scanning of files for scraping or thumbnails etc. I also tried newer drivers with manual inf adjustments to get them to apply (197.45, 260.63 and one other in between).

I am caught in two minds now that XBMC supports DXVA whether to give up on the Linux route. Both solutions don't quite work as a proper HTPC because of the various wrong behaviours of Nvidia drivers. With the Windows DXVA can play my 60FPS1080P (AVC1 H264 L4.2) files smoothly - whereas I get 35fps or 47fps (depending on driver/test) only with VDPAU/Linux drivers. But with Windows I see no way to get both proper 23.976Hz and 24.000Hz playback to be possible without each time deleting and re-adding custom resolutions. In addition the handling of Video levels is incorrect (certainly with Windows) as trying to use Limited range or YCbCr444 mode both result in clipping luminance above 235 (which is not correct behaviour since movies do contain whites above this level) - and I can only assume Cb and Cr are likely also effectively incorrectly clipped above 240.

It amazes me that it appears that it after all this time it is still not possible to get video working "correctly" through a PC - or at least I can't find an way to do it.

Posted 09/24/2010 11:42 PM   

This is cross posted on [url="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19159283#post19159283"]AVSforum[/url], but no direct response there yet.[/quote]

Video Artifacts

Posted 09/24/2010 11:42 PM   
Thanks at least I know I'm not alone on this. It's been near impossible to find any reference to this anywhere on the web. I'm guessing because the ION 2 is so new.
Thanks at least I know I'm not alone on this. It's been near impossible to find any reference to this anywhere on the web. I'm guessing because the ION 2 is so new.

Posted 09/25/2010 01:07 AM   

Posted 09/25/2010 01:07 AM   
Hello

I have had my ion2 (ASUS AT5IONT-I) for less then a week though have had the chance to throw a lot at it so far. I haven't seen any issues as you've described but I have seen some artifacts when playing Starcraft 2. The Asus products seem to couple the ion2 with Nvidia Optimus, I don't know if it's the same thing in your case though I would certainly take a look around...

If you don't find anything you can always try installing the drivers and giving it a shot:

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html[/url]
Hello

I have had my ion2 (ASUS AT5IONT-I) for less then a week though have had the chance to throw a lot at it so far. I haven't seen any issues as you've described but I have seen some artifacts when playing Starcraft 2. The Asus products seem to couple the ion2 with Nvidia Optimus, I don't know if it's the same thing in your case though I would certainly take a look around...

If you don't find anything you can always try installing the drivers and giving it a shot:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

Posted 10/13/2010 03:21 PM   
Hello

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html[/url]
Hello

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

Posted 10/13/2010 03:21 PM   
Yeah mine doesn't use Optimus as it's not a laptop, but I do suspect it's all driver related because I can play the files on other nvidia products with no problem. So far, I can't find any ION2 drivers from nvidia's website that work with the hardware. The only option is using drivers from the manufacturer, which are generally many revisions behind, or forcing it to use new drivers with a hacked INF file. Seems like they just need to do a driver update with a few bug fixes in it.
Yeah mine doesn't use Optimus as it's not a laptop, but I do suspect it's all driver related because I can play the files on other nvidia products with no problem. So far, I can't find any ION2 drivers from nvidia's website that work with the hardware. The only option is using drivers from the manufacturer, which are generally many revisions behind, or forcing it to use new drivers with a hacked INF file. Seems like they just need to do a driver update with a few bug fixes in it.

Posted 10/13/2010 05:18 PM   

Posted 10/13/2010 05:18 PM   
The Nvidia Optimus isn't only used on laptops, the ASUS AT5IONT-I is a Micro ITX Motherboard with an integrated Atom D525 CPU coupled with ION2 Graphics. I only figured that out after someone posted it on Overclockers.net... from what I gather, most computers using the D525 or Intel NM10 Chipset have two graphics card, in the large majority of cases its a Intel GMA & Nvidia ION2.

I may be completely wrong in this this whole issue and if I am feel free to point it out or quote me but I personally would still give it a shot, worse case if it doesn't install then there's no harm done.

like I said, personally I didn't know till I did the research and tried it out. While I am at it, if you look for the Intel GMA to see if you have one or not; it wont appear anywhere... trust me I've looked (CPUZ, Bios, GPUZ).

Cheers hope this gets resolved.
The Nvidia Optimus isn't only used on laptops, the ASUS AT5IONT-I is a Micro ITX Motherboard with an integrated Atom D525 CPU coupled with ION2 Graphics. I only figured that out after someone posted it on Overclockers.net... from what I gather, most computers using the D525 or Intel NM10 Chipset have two graphics card, in the large majority of cases its a Intel GMA & Nvidia ION2.

I may be completely wrong in this this whole issue and if I am feel free to point it out or quote me but I personally would still give it a shot, worse case if it doesn't install then there's no harm done.

like I said, personally I didn't know till I did the research and tried it out. While I am at it, if you look for the Intel GMA to see if you have one or not; it wont appear anywhere... trust me I've looked (CPUZ, Bios, GPUZ).

Posted 10/13/2010 10:26 PM   

Posted 10/13/2010 10:26 PM   
Usually if it's not a laptop, the Intel GMA is disabled because there's no need to try to save battery. Just to be thorough though, I tried those drivers at the Optimus link and they don't work for the Lenovo Q150.

I got a PM from an NVIDIA moderator asking for a video sample so he could test and file a bug report. I provided it to him, but so far no response back. Maybe it'll all be fixed when they finally get a modern driver ready for the platform.
Usually if it's not a laptop, the Intel GMA is disabled because there's no need to try to save battery. Just to be thorough though, I tried those drivers at the Optimus link and they don't work for the Lenovo Q150.

I got a PM from an NVIDIA moderator asking for a video sample so he could test and file a bug report. I provided it to him, but so far no response back. Maybe it'll all be fixed when they finally get a modern driver ready for the platform.

Posted 10/14/2010 03:51 AM   

Posted 10/14/2010 03:51 AM   
I just tried to install the new 260.89 drivers from nvidia and I'm happy to report that it detected the hardware and installed just fine. It's good to be on the latest drivers finally. However, I still have the same problems when hardware acceleration is enabled.

Here's a [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10894754/The%20Matrix%20%5B1080p%5D%20Corruption%20Sample%2010s.mkv"]video sample[/url] from The Matrix. The corruption happens right as Morpheus is saying "This is a sparring program".

I can turn on hardware acceleration and it gives me the corruption as shown in the screenshot on the first post. If I turn off hardware acceleration, it's rendered fine but plays back too slow due to limited CPU.
I just tried to install the new 260.89 drivers from nvidia and I'm happy to report that it detected the hardware and installed just fine. It's good to be on the latest drivers finally. However, I still have the same problems when hardware acceleration is enabled.

Here's a video sample from The Matrix. The corruption happens right as Morpheus is saying "This is a sparring program".

I can turn on hardware acceleration and it gives me the corruption as shown in the screenshot on the first post. If I turn off hardware acceleration, it's rendered fine but plays back too slow due to limited CPU.

Posted 10/18/2010 08:09 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top