Need to reinstall graphics drivers every reboot to play games
  1 / 2    
I am having a rather interesting problem where I am unable to play certain games until after I reinstall my graphics drivers. So here is a general rundown of how it happens

Boot up computer
Run game
Game crashes on logo splash screen or in case of different game, I load up a saved game and whole screen is light blue
Reinstall graphics driver I got from Nvidia driver website, restart
Game works (no crash on bootup and for other game all graphics are normal)

BUT If I restart for any reason or turn off computer, then the game doesnt work again. And I have to reinstall the graphics drivers (and restart) again.

Currently I noticed it happens with Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Nehrim (the game/mod for Oblivion that recently was released in english). The odd thing is the normal game, Oblivion, works fine.

Games I can play with no problem (can just boot up comp and play), include Modern warfare 1/2, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Mass Effect 1/2, and quite a few others.

I am running Windows 7 32 bit
GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ (3 GHz)
4 Gigs corsair

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Edit: Also I uninstalled my previous graphics driver before installing the new one, which didnt fix the problem. And I have tried many different driver versions, the most recent being 197.13, 197.45, and the newest one 258.96) and the problem is present with them all.

Thanks
I am having a rather interesting problem where I am unable to play certain games until after I reinstall my graphics drivers. So here is a general rundown of how it happens

Boot up computer

Run game

Game crashes on logo splash screen or in case of different game, I load up a saved game and whole screen is light blue

BUT If I restart for any reason or turn off computer, then the game doesnt work again. And I have to reinstall the graphics drivers (and restart) again.

Currently I noticed it happens with Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Nehrim (the game/mod for Oblivion that recently was released in english). The odd thing is the normal game, Oblivion, works fine.

Games I can play with no problem (can just boot up comp and play), include Modern warfare 1/2, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Mass Effect 1/2, and quite a few others.

GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+

4 Gigs corsair

Edit: Also I uninstalled my previous graphics driver before installing the new one, which didnt fix the problem. And I have tried many different driver versions, the most recent being 197.13, 197.45, and the newest one 258.96) and the problem is present with them all.

Thanks

Posted 09/23/2010 02:08 AM   

Boot up computer
Run game

GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+
4 Gigs corsair

Thanks

Boot up computer

Run game

GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+

4 Gigs corsair

Thanks

Posted 09/23/2010 02:08 AM   
Same problem here with my 9800GT with a few games and bad company 2 is one off them.
Have you got a solution ?

regards

[quote name='arrogers' date='23 September 2010 - 03:08 AM' timestamp='1285207702' post='1121218']

Boot up computer
Run game

GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+
4 Gigs corsair

Thanks
[/quote]
Same problem here with my 9800GT with a few games and bad company 2 is one off them.

Have you got a solution ?

regards

[quote name='arrogers' date='23 September 2010 - 03:08 AM' timestamp='1285207702' post='1121218']

Boot up computer

Run game

GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+

4 Gigs corsair

Thanks

Posted 02/10/2011 08:39 AM   
download EVGA precision and chek the temperature of your graphics card (GPU). If they are overheating try cleaning out your case or try cleaning out the heatsink on the graphics card. Happened to me with Knight Online and now after cleaning out the heatsink it is alot better. Went from being 65-75 celcius to being 50-60 celcius. Overheating also causes games to crash, so on EVGA precision make the fan speed around 80% or higher it might help
download EVGA precision and chek the temperature of your graphics card (GPU). If they are overheating try cleaning out your case or try cleaning out the heatsink on the graphics card. Happened to me with Knight Online and now after cleaning out the heatsink it is alot better. Went from being 65-75 celcius to being 50-60 celcius. Overheating also causes games to crash, so on EVGA precision make the fan speed around 80% or higher it might help

Posted 02/10/2011 08:56 PM   
[quote name='Catalyst13' date='10 February 2011 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1297371396' post='1191925']
[/quote]

Card doesn't seems to verheat, temp between 45 and 55, case is clean.
All works fine when i reinstall de nvidea drivers after every reboot, otherwise crash to desktop. I can play all day games as long as i don't reboot.
Not all games are affected though .... it's bad company 2 , just cause 2 ...; maybe they use a certain feature, i don't know.

cheers
[quote name='Catalyst13' date='10 February 2011 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1297371396' post='1191925']

All works fine when i reinstall de nvidea drivers after every reboot, otherwise crash to desktop. I can play all day games as long as i don't reboot.

Not all games are affected though .... it's bad company 2 , just cause 2 ...; maybe they use a certain feature, i don't know.

cheers

Posted 02/15/2011 08:58 AM   
[quote name='Iceblade2007' date='15 February 2011 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1297760281' post='1193737']

cheers
[/quote]

I am having the same problem with my GTX480 with WOW, Fallout.

Any solution yet ?
[quote name='Iceblade2007' date='15 February 2011 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1297760281' post='1193737']

cheers

Any solution yet ?

Posted 02/17/2011 05:03 PM   
[quote name='Ambizzer' date='17 February 2011 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1297962215' post='1195056']

Any solution yet ?
[/quote]

none that i have heard off, tried everything, tried with only drivers from manufacturer, played with setting off graph.card but nothing so far.
Is there anyone from nvidea that can help ?
[quote name='Ambizzer' date='17 February 2011 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1297962215' post='1195056']

Any solution yet ?

none that i have heard off, tried everything, tried with only drivers from manufacturer, played with setting off graph.card but nothing so far.

Posted 02/17/2011 06:10 PM   
[quote name='Iceblade2007' date='17 February 2011 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1297966254' post='1195085']
[/quote]

I found a solution for the games by tweaking the ingame settings (lowering settings) to gain performence and FPS.
since i done this Bad Company 2 is starting up without the need to reinstall the nvidea drivers every time.
Don't ask me which tweak did it but it's working .....
[quote name='Iceblade2007' date='17 February 2011 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1297966254' post='1195085']

I found a solution for the games by tweaking the ingame settings (lowering settings) to gain performence and FPS.

since i done this Bad Company 2 is starting up without the need to reinstall the nvidea drivers every time.

Don't ask me which tweak did it but it's working .....

Posted 02/19/2011 10:16 AM   
What is brand and make/model is your Power Supply Unit?

Also, try the latest drivers, 266.58 drivers fixed several issues for me.

This sounds like a video driver crash, which is usually caused by:

1. Inadequate power
2. Overheating
3. a bad overclock
4. bad hardware (a bad video card or something else)

So let me know on your PSU specs, and we'll go from there... seeing as you already ruled out #2, we'll work on the others.

1. Inadequate power

2. Overheating

3. a bad overclock

So let me know on your PSU specs, and we'll go from there... seeing as you already ruled out #2, we'll work on the others.

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.2GHz 1.21V ~ Motherboard: Asus RoG Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series (4x4GB @ 2133MHz, 9-11-10-28-2T 1.65V)
GPUs: 1x R9 280X Vapor-X (Games/F@H), 1x R9 290 Core Edition (F@H), 1x R9 290X Core Edition (F@H)
PSU: LEPA G 1600W (Hate it, don't buy it) ~ Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
SSDs/HDDs: Corsair Force3 240GB, Corsair Force3 90GB, 1x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate ~ Display: Sony Bravia 52" LED LCD HDTV
Laptops: Alienware M18x (2013, GTX 560M SLi) & Alienware M14x (2014, GTX 765M)

Posted 02/19/2011 10:22 AM   
-ACER Aspire 8920G
-Windows 7 Ultimate
-Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9500 (2.6Ghz, 800MHZ FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)
-18.4" Full HD 1080p Acer CineCrystal LCD (90% color gamut)
-Up to 1791MB NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GS TurboCache
-4GB DDR2 (2 sockets x 2GB DDR2 ram)
-1TB eSata internal HDD (2 HDD bays x 500GB)
-Blu-ray DVD DL RW cd-rom
-802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN
-Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
-Dolby Home Theater 5.1 Cinematic Surround with TUBA CineBass booster

I am having the same issues and have been I think more severe since June 28 of 2010. Now my computer shows no display unless I hook it to an external sorce BUT it is like having double vision times two with a pixie for a mouse cursor sprinkling dust trail hovac on what little visual I have left(this occured on my primary disply prior to going on strike). As I'm sure you guessed it, I did indeed pay alot for this laptop and I take very good care of it(internal and external). Clear as a whistle.
At first it was just a black screen but while windows and all other functions worked. Then it drasticly became harder and harder to correct the problem atleast temporarily. All of the symptoms I encountered were loss of backlight, blank screen, distorted display, system crash etc.(not in that order and could have been a combination of all of the above or one and another random). At the time it seemed that if I reinstalled the driver for my GPU that it would work properly but after a while of doing that, It just stoped having an affect.
-ACER Aspire 8920G

-Windows 7 Ultimate

-Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9500 (2.6Ghz, 800MHZ FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)

-18.4" Full HD 1080p Acer CineCrystal LCD (90% color gamut)

-Up to 1791MB NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GS TurboCache

-4GB DDR2 (2 sockets x 2GB DDR2 ram)

-1TB eSata internal HDD (2 HDD bays x 500GB)

-Blu-ray DVD DL RW cd-rom

-802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN

-Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

-Dolby Home Theater 5.1 Cinematic Surround with TUBA CineBass booster

I am having the same issues and have been I think more severe since June 28 of 2010. Now my computer shows no display unless I hook it to an external sorce BUT it is like having double vision times two with a pixie for a mouse cursor sprinkling dust trail hovac on what little visual I have left(this occured on my primary disply prior to going on strike). As I'm sure you guessed it, I did indeed pay alot for this laptop and I take very good care of it(internal and external). Clear as a whistle.

At first it was just a black screen but while windows and all other functions worked. Then it drasticly became harder and harder to correct the problem atleast temporarily. All of the symptoms I encountered were loss of backlight, blank screen, distorted display, system crash etc.(not in that order and could have been a combination of all of the above or one and another random). At the time it seemed that if I reinstalled the driver for my GPU that it would work properly but after a while of doing that, It just stoped having an affect.

Posted 02/19/2011 06:21 PM   
[quote name='Goddess84' date='19 February 2011 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1298110937' post='1195820']

1. Inadequate power
2. Overheating
3. a bad overclock

[/quote]

Hi Goddess84,

My PSU is a Antec 650 W ATX and my graph card only needs a 400w supply so at that i am fine i guess.
My card is not overclocked.
I think i found out why it's not working, unless every time i reinstall my nvidea drivers version 266.58 ....here it comes.. . nevertheless my card supports Direct 10 it's that Directx10 giving troubles.
Found out that when in the settings.ini from the game i changed it to directx9 it's working fine , no need to reinstall graph drivers, when on 10 and i want it to work i need to reinstall the graph drivers.
So my card is not well digesting that Direct X10 it seems.
For those having problems try this out and see if it works ...

cheers
[quote name='Goddess84' date='19 February 2011 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1298110937' post='1195820']

1. Inadequate power

2. Overheating

3. a bad overclock

Hi Goddess84,

My PSU is a Antec 650 W ATX and my graph card only needs a 400w supply so at that i am fine i guess.

My card is not overclocked.

I think i found out why it's not working, unless every time i reinstall my nvidea drivers version 266.58 ....here it comes.. . nevertheless my card supports Direct 10 it's that Directx10 giving troubles.

Found out that when in the settings.ini from the game i changed it to directx9 it's working fine , no need to reinstall graph drivers, when on 10 and i want it to work i need to reinstall the graph drivers.

So my card is not well digesting that Direct X10 it seems.

For those having problems try this out and see if it works ...

cheers

Posted 02/19/2011 06:43 PM   
I removed Asus Gamer OSD and that resolved the ( Need to reinstall graphics drivers every reboot to play games) issue for me.

Hope it helps.
I removed Asus Gamer OSD and that resolved the ( Need to reinstall graphics drivers every reboot to play games) issue for me.

Hope it helps.

Posted 02/19/2011 07:26 PM   
[quote name='Ambizzer' date='19 February 2011 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1298143568' post='1195981']

Hope it helps.
[/quote]

You are right, removed the Asus Gamer OSD and now i can also play the games on Directx 10 without the need to reinstall graph drivers every time after a reboot.
thx a lot.
So for those with a Asus card deinstall the Asus Gamer OSD.
for those cithout a Asus card and having the same problem try to run the games in directx 9 and see if it works.

cheers
[quote name='Ambizzer' date='19 February 2011 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1298143568' post='1195981']

Hope it helps.

You are right, removed the Asus Gamer OSD and now i can also play the games on Directx 10 without the need to reinstall graph drivers every time after a reboot.

thx a lot.

So for those with a Asus card deinstall the Asus Gamer OSD.

for those cithout a Asus card and having the same problem try to run the games in directx 9 and see if it works.

cheers

Posted 02/20/2011 04:17 PM   
I know this thread is a year old but I'd been experiencing major problems with Battlefield 3 crashing all the time.

After much experimenting with various settings and installing/reinstalling drivers, I found that reinstalling the video drivers solved the problem but I needed to repeat the process after every reboot. Although a vast improvement I still found it incredibly annoying to have to do this. After much surfing I found this thread by luck, tried uninstalling Asus Gamer OSD and it worked. Battlefield 3 now works perfectly!

I agree with Iceblade2007, anyone experiencing similar system problems should try uninstalling the Asus Gamer OSD application first. It could save a lot of time.

Many thanks Ambizzer.
I know this thread is a year old but I'd been experiencing major problems with Battlefield 3 crashing all the time.

After much experimenting with various settings and installing/reinstalling drivers, I found that reinstalling the video drivers solved the problem but I needed to repeat the process after every reboot. Although a vast improvement I still found it incredibly annoying to have to do this. After much surfing I found this thread by luck, tried uninstalling Asus Gamer OSD and it worked. Battlefield 3 now works perfectly!

I agree with Iceblade2007, anyone experiencing similar system problems should try uninstalling the Asus Gamer OSD application first. It could save a lot of time.

Many thanks Ambizzer.

Posted 01/26/2012 11:28 AM   
I just created an account to thank u all and to also provide proof it was ASUS GAMER OSD causing the problem. It was definitely the Asus Gamer OSD, which was forcing me to reinstall the driver. I just got the new game Titan fall and couldn't play it (crashing after the intro) unless I kept reinstalling the driver each time I shut down the cpu. The Asus gamer OSD was not saving the new added attachments that the new drivers brought, My other games now run faster and smoother with high graphics. So uninstall ASUS GAMER OSD then restart the cpu and reinstall the driver and restart again and your done.
I just created an account to thank u all and to also provide proof it was ASUS GAMER OSD causing the problem.

It was definitely the Asus Gamer OSD, which was forcing me to reinstall the driver. I just got the new game Titan fall and couldn't play it (crashing after the intro) unless I kept reinstalling the driver each time I shut down the cpu. The Asus gamer OSD was not saving the new added attachments that the new drivers brought, My other games now run faster and smoother with high graphics. So uninstall ASUS GAMER OSD then restart the cpu and reinstall the driver and restart again and your done.

Posted 03/15/2014 03:26 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top