Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered D
After installing Windows 7 64-bit on an existing system (new hard drive), the screen occasionally goes black and I receive the error "Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered". I've tried several different driver versions, both from Nvidia and from Microsoft. This does not seem to depend on the load placed on the GPU, since logging on to this forum generated the error. I have found posts on this issue going back a year on just about every Windows 7 forum out there.
Things that seem to trigger the behavior:
Resizing a window
Clicking Start
Opening Control Panel

I've done a clean install of Windows 7 twice. Currently am running nothing but vanilla Win7 Ultimate install + Nvidia drivers. Problem persists.

Here is the hardware config:
ASUS M2N-E SLI motherboard with 6GB RAM
BIOS version 1102 (tried 1205, Window 7 setup could not start, hung on splash, reverted to 1102)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core 6000+
NVidia GeForce 8400 GS (ver. 8.17.12.5896)
Downloaded most recent vendor drivers and ran Microsoft Update.
dxdiag shows 'no problems'.

For fun, I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 with desktop experience onto a vhd on the same hard drive. This runs Aero desktop theme without issue.

Going back to XP also solves problems.

My first question is, does anyone from Nvidia monitor these forums? There are a lot of unanswered threads.
Second question is how do I fix this problem that seems to be so pervasive with Nvidia products running Windows 7?

TIA,
Tom
After installing Windows 7 64-bit on an existing system (new hard drive), the screen occasionally goes black and I receive the error "Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered". I've tried several different driver versions, both from Nvidia and from Microsoft. This does not seem to depend on the load placed on the GPU, since logging on to this forum generated the error. I have found posts on this issue going back a year on just about every Windows 7 forum out there.

Resizing a window

Clicking Start

Opening Control Panel

I've done a clean install of Windows 7 twice. Currently am running nothing but vanilla Win7 Ultimate install + Nvidia drivers. Problem persists.

BIOS version 1102 (tried 1205, Window 7 setup could not start, hung on splash, reverted to 1102)

For fun, I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 with desktop experience onto a vhd on the same hard drive. This runs Aero desktop theme without issue.

My first question is, does anyone from Nvidia monitor these forums? There are a lot of unanswered threads.

Second question is how do I fix this problem that seems to be so pervasive with Nvidia products running Windows 7?

TIA,

Tom

Posted 09/21/2010 09:20 AM   
Resizing a window
Clicking Start
Opening Control Panel

TIA,
Tom

Resizing a window

Clicking Start

Opening Control Panel

TIA,

Tom

Posted 09/21/2010 09:20 AM   
Scroll To Top