NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M on MacBook Pro - display randomly goes blank requiring reboot
  1 / 2    
I am running windows 7, 64 bit, using bootcamp, on a new macbook pro laptop (detailed information on hardware below). The problem I am running into is that, several times every day, the built in display as well as any external monitor connected to the laptop, just go blank. As if someone had pulled the power plug on them. I can still hear the laptop's hard disk running and th key board lights are on but am unable to get the display to come back. The only way to get the display working again is to do a hard reboot.

I have upgraded the NVIDIA drivers to the latest ones released yesterday: 8.17.12.6063, however they problem persists. Have tried other versions of the drivers from the NVIDIA website as well, to no avail.

Ran extended hardware test on the laptop but that did not divulge any problems either.

Reinstalled windows 7 but the problem persists.

The problem does not exist if I reboot into the Mac OSX side of the laptop.

Here are the hardware details of the machine:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0012
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am running windows 7, 64 bit, using bootcamp, on a new macbook pro laptop (detailed information on hardware below). The problem I am running into is that, several times every day, the built in display as well as any external monitor connected to the laptop, just go blank. As if someone had pulled the power plug on them. I can still hear the laptop's hard disk running and th key board lights are on but am unable to get the display to come back. The only way to get the display working again is to do a hard reboot.

I have upgraded the NVIDIA drivers to the latest ones released yesterday: 8.17.12.6063, however they problem persists. Have tried other versions of the drivers from the NVIDIA website as well, to no avail.

Ran extended hardware test on the laptop but that did not divulge any problems either.

Intel HD Graphics:

Displays:

Color LCD:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Posted 09/15/2010 05:41 PM   

Intel HD Graphics:

Displays:
Color LCD:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Intel HD Graphics:

Displays:

Color LCD:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Posted 09/15/2010 05:41 PM   
Intriguingly, I am experiencing the exact same issue, however, I am on a 13" Macbook Pro 7,1 (aka late 2010 model) with a GeForce 320M... and the kicker is that I'm using Linux (with the latest official drivers). Single screen, works fine. Attach a monitor (using VGA, as that's the adapter I have), it works for awhile and then both screens go blank, with the computer itself running along fine, just unable to output anything to either monitor.

In Linux, you can jump to a virtual terminal at any time by hitting Control-Alt and a function key. That switches to text mode, which usually bypasses any X setting problems. In this case, the screens stay blank, pointing at a video issue deeper than X. Possibly there's an issue with the card itself, or the driver does something that causes the card to lock up?
Intriguingly, I am experiencing the exact same issue, however, I am on a 13" Macbook Pro 7,1 (aka late 2010 model) with a GeForce 320M... and the kicker is that I'm using Linux (with the latest official drivers). Single screen, works fine. Attach a monitor (using VGA, as that's the adapter I have), it works for awhile and then both screens go blank, with the computer itself running along fine, just unable to output anything to either monitor.

In Linux, you can jump to a virtual terminal at any time by hitting Control-Alt and a function key. That switches to text mode, which usually bypasses any X setting problems. In this case, the screens stay blank, pointing at a video issue deeper than X. Possibly there's an issue with the card itself, or the driver does something that causes the card to lock up?

Posted 12/20/2010 01:29 AM   
My issue was finally resolved by apple replacing the main logic board. They also replaced a connector in that repair (part number 631-0959), though I do not know if that had anything to do with the issue being fixed. Thx.
My issue was finally resolved by apple replacing the main logic board. They also replaced a connector in that repair (part number 631-0959), though I do not know if that had anything to do with the issue being fixed. Thx.

Posted 12/20/2010 05:02 AM   
[quote name='saadatmalik' date='19 December 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1292821379' post='1163637']
[/quote]

That is terrible, and clearly a cop out by Apple...I am have the same issue with the same MBP model....only, as you pointed out, the problem does not exist in Snow Leopard, only in Win7, I also have not experienced this when using the standard VGA driver.

The only way I can get it to blank on command is by running the "Windows Experience Index". I have read over several threads which suggest the original driver in BootCamp 3.0 was bad (although I started with 3.1), I have download the latest driver (266.58) and still have the random crash and failed Win7 Experience Index.

The picture is absolutely amazing, before the crash and I would love to use my NVIDIA product.

Can anyone out there help me?
[quote name='saadatmalik' date='19 December 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1292821379' post='1163637']

That is terrible, and clearly a cop out by Apple...I am have the same issue with the same MBP model....only, as you pointed out, the problem does not exist in Snow Leopard, only in Win7, I also have not experienced this when using the standard VGA driver.

The only way I can get it to blank on command is by running the "Windows Experience Index". I have read over several threads which suggest the original driver in BootCamp 3.0 was bad (although I started with 3.1), I have download the latest driver (266.58) and still have the random crash and failed Win7 Experience Index.

The picture is absolutely amazing, before the crash and I would love to use my NVIDIA product.

Can anyone out there help me?

Posted 02/10/2011 06:17 AM   
I am having the same problem with MBP and windows 7 64bits and model 9400M card. I couldnt install the graphics driver I downloaded from the nvidia site: it said it didn't recognize the hardware.
I am having the same problem with MBP and windows 7 64bits and model 9400M card. I couldnt install the graphics driver I downloaded from the nvidia site: it said it didn't recognize the hardware.

Posted 02/24/2011 06:23 AM   
Same issue, similar specs of the first poster, macbookpro 15" 6,2 with geforce 330M.

With mine, it happened with both the new lion osx and with the one before it. I can recreate it when I have safari and itunes open, and if I open pages app as soon as I click black document the screen will shut down with the keyboard glowing and whatever music playing skips on 1 second.

Warranty expired, and I went to the genius bar today and I luckily was able to reproduce the problem when I ran a youtube video while I was on Pages. They told me they need to replace the logic board and the tech told me he thought it was the video card as well. Come to think of it, after he printed my repairs sheet he never mentioned a video card again, just the motherboard.

I guarantee if they do that (which will cost too much), the problem will start up again. How can we get apple or nvidia or whoever to fess up to selling us a defected product? Shouldn't they be paying for it? I've also heard that if enough people report the problem to apple they'll fix it. Any one else's experiences or anyone know what secret password I have to use to get Apple to fix my computer for less $$? After all, all I did was take care of the computer and babied it the entire time I've had it. Minus a few scratches from inadvertantly setting it down on a gritty surface here and there.
Same issue, similar specs of the first poster, macbookpro 15" 6,2 with geforce 330M.

With mine, it happened with both the new lion osx and with the one before it. I can recreate it when I have safari and itunes open, and if I open pages app as soon as I click black document the screen will shut down with the keyboard glowing and whatever music playing skips on 1 second.

Warranty expired, and I went to the genius bar today and I luckily was able to reproduce the problem when I ran a youtube video while I was on Pages. They told me they need to replace the logic board and the tech told me he thought it was the video card as well. Come to think of it, after he printed my repairs sheet he never mentioned a video card again, just the motherboard.

I guarantee if they do that (which will cost too much), the problem will start up again. How can we get apple or nvidia or whoever to fess up to selling us a defected product? Shouldn't they be paying for it? I've also heard that if enough people report the problem to apple they'll fix it. Any one else's experiences or anyone know what secret password I have to use to get Apple to fix my computer for less $$? After all, all I did was take care of the computer and babied it the entire time I've had it. Minus a few scratches from inadvertantly setting it down on a gritty surface here and there.

Posted 08/02/2011 06:24 AM   
I got the same problem with my Macbook Pro 2010.

when i use the Intel graphic card, there is no problem, but after switching to the Nvidia 330m i get a black screen.

For the moment you can use gfxCardStatus and use only the Intel graphic card, so you can work.

i had the problem allready with 10.6.7, even after a clean installation, 10.6.3 works without problems, also with 330m.

so, it has to be a driver problem, and not a hardware defect.
I got the same problem with my Macbook Pro 2010.

when i use the Intel graphic card, there is no problem, but after switching to the Nvidia 330m i get a black screen.

For the moment you can use gfxCardStatus and use only the Intel graphic card, so you can work.

i had the problem allready with 10.6.7, even after a clean installation, 10.6.3 works without problems, also with 330m.

so, it has to be a driver problem, and not a hardware defect.

Posted 08/11/2011 10:32 AM   
Same issues here. Screen goes blank for a bit and windows returns with a video driver failed error message.

2010 17" i5 MacBook Pro Nvidia 330m MS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7601
Same issues here. Screen goes blank for a bit and windows returns with a video driver failed error message.

2010 17" i5 MacBook Pro Nvidia 330m MS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7601

Posted 08/11/2011 11:53 PM   
Same problem with my 2010 MBP. Didn't happen til I updated to Lion though.

I ran Tech Tool Deluxe and every time it got to testing the Video RAM the application froze and quit so I took it to an Apple store and the guy there told me he'd seen it before and it was a problem with the graphics card becoming unseated with the logic board (or something like that) and that it was a known issue. Mine's currently having the logic board replaced, which was covered by my Apple Care. If I didn't have that they would've charged me almost £400.
Same problem with my 2010 MBP. Didn't happen til I updated to Lion though.

I ran Tech Tool Deluxe and every time it got to testing the Video RAM the application froze and quit so I took it to an Apple store and the guy there told me he'd seen it before and it was a problem with the graphics card becoming unseated with the logic board (or something like that) and that it was a known issue. Mine's currently having the logic board replaced, which was covered by my Apple Care. If I didn't have that they would've charged me almost £400.

Posted 08/12/2011 05:48 PM   
Users experiencing problems with the mid-2010 MacBook Pro might like to see further information, links and advice posted on the Apple Mac Black Screen of Death Facebook page: [url="http://on.fb.me/mY9jYK"]http://on.fb.me/mY9jYK[/url]
Users experiencing problems with the mid-2010 MacBook Pro might like to see further information, links and advice posted on the Apple Mac Black Screen of Death Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/mY9jYK

Posted 09/10/2011 06:31 PM   
if that doesn't solve the problem buying parallell or Wmware fusion will solve it. I can't say if you need to installed nvidia drivers on the virtual machine.

Regards,
Valentin N
if that doesn't solve the problem buying parallell or Wmware fusion will solve it. I can't say if you need to installed nvidia drivers on the virtual machine.

Regards,

Valentin N

Posted 09/17/2011 08:31 PM   
I have a Macbook pro 2010 with nvidia 330M. Sporadically, the mac displayed a black screen of death when I was on Snow Leopard or Windows. After an update to driver 280.26. It became worse. Sometimes every 3 minutes, the graphical driver crashes on Windows. Not by running a game, simply by opening a window minimized in the task bar, clicking on a window element, sometimes doing nothing, etc. According to other users, it seems that if you update to Lion, the problems gets far more frequent and it becomes impossible to use the laptop for normal work... To reproduce the problem easily on Mac, open photobooth application and click on "Effects" button: the Mac crashes immediately (whether on Snow Leopard or Lion).
I tried the new beta of the drivers (285.38) on Windows but it didn't improve anything.

At the moment, a thread is opened on Apple forum:
[url="https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?start=0&tstart=0 "]Lion randomly crashes - black screen[/url]
Presently, 100+ pages, 1 500+ posts, 115 000 views. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
No official reaction from Apple. We don't even know if they are investigating on the problem. And this problem was reported several months ago...

This problem seems to be related to the use of the nvidia 330M and happens on Snow Leopard, Lion and Windows.
I can very easily reproduce this problem on Windows. It leads to a raise of the temperature of the chipset and the crash of the graphical driver (fortunately it doesn't crash Windows).
Or on Snow Leopard with Photobooth application (black screen of death).
I'm ready to do any test to help identify the origin of the problem. So, NVIDIA, if you have instructions that I could follow and an email address to send information to, please post or contact me !
And if you have information about this problem, please communicate.
Thanks !
I have a Macbook pro 2010 with nvidia 330M. Sporadically, the mac displayed a black screen of death when I was on Snow Leopard or Windows. After an update to driver 280.26. It became worse. Sometimes every 3 minutes, the graphical driver crashes on Windows. Not by running a game, simply by opening a window minimized in the task bar, clicking on a window element, sometimes doing nothing, etc. According to other users, it seems that if you update to Lion, the problems gets far more frequent and it becomes impossible to use the laptop for normal work... To reproduce the problem easily on Mac, open photobooth application and click on "Effects" button: the Mac crashes immediately (whether on Snow Leopard or Lion).

I tried the new beta of the drivers (285.38) on Windows but it didn't improve anything.

At the moment, a thread is opened on Apple forum:

[url="https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?start=0&tstart=0 "]Lion randomly crashes - black screen[/url]

Presently, 100+ pages, 1 500+ posts, 115 000 views. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

No official reaction from Apple. We don't even know if they are investigating on the problem. And this problem was reported several months ago...

This problem seems to be related to the use of the nvidia 330M and happens on Snow Leopard, Lion and Windows.

I can very easily reproduce this problem on Windows. It leads to a raise of the temperature of the chipset and the crash of the graphical driver (fortunately it doesn't crash Windows).

Or on Snow Leopard with Photobooth application (black screen of death).

I'm ready to do any test to help identify the origin of the problem. So, NVIDIA, if you have instructions that I could follow and an email address to send information to, please post or contact me !

And if you have information about this problem, please communicate.

Thanks !

Posted 10/04/2011 02:58 PM   
No answer from NVIDIA...

At least Apple acknowledged the problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4086
But still no solution to it...

[url="https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083"]Apple thread[/url] has now almost 140 000 views and 1750 posts.
No answer from NVIDIA...

At least Apple acknowledged the problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4086

But still no solution to it...

Apple thread has now almost 140 000 views and 1750 posts.

Posted 10/17/2011 08:05 AM   
Every update starting from 280.26+ give a BSOD for some models, including mine.

Reverting it to the last working update does the trick, just sad it doesn't include the latest updates for most recent games.

Noticing now also Mac users have this problem, I think Nvidia should really start working on it.
The biggest trader of GPUs are breaking there reputation like this with ten thousands of users.

GoGo Nvid, FIX IT!
We pay for your gear, we then expect to solve our problemos!
Every update starting from 280.26+ give a BSOD for some models, including mine.

Reverting it to the last working update does the trick, just sad it doesn't include the latest updates for most recent games.

Noticing now also Mac users have this problem, I think Nvidia should really start working on it.

The biggest trader of GPUs are breaking there reputation like this with ten thousands of users.

GoGo Nvid, FIX IT!

We pay for your gear, we then expect to solve our problemos!

Posted 10/19/2011 09:13 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top