GTX 460/470/480 compatibility issue?
  1 / 8    
[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=551946&mpage=1"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=551946&mpage=1[/url]

This is just one thread out of many that details the problem of the GTX 460/470/480 and those of us who seem to using Asus and Gigabyte boards with AMD chipsets. I can't confirm if all problems are based on AMD chipsets or not but many who post seem to have that issue.

Anyway, I'm going to give it another 24 hours before I just RMA my GTX 460 and go with the Radeon 5850 which was my original plan anyway. I'm looking for some confirmation from Nvidia that this problem is being looked into. So far, it's just a bunch of angry (myself included) owners of 200-500 dollar paperweights sitting inside our computers. I'm running a standard VGA driver in 800x600 mode and I'm sick of it after days of this crap. I've tried every beta driver I could find on the internet, tried disabling everything non-essential, tried overclocking my pci-e slot, etc etc. I'm over it.

Either announce something (talking to you Nvidia) or at least tell me to freak off so I can RMA this brick inside my computer and go back to ATI once and for all. The whole reason I even bought this damn card is because of all the fanboys telling me that ATI has crappy drivers and Nvidia doesn't. Oh sweet irony. I'm putting a ticket in by noon tomorrow to get rid of this card if I don't hear something about a fix.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=551946&mpage=1

This is just one thread out of many that details the problem of the GTX 460/470/480 and those of us who seem to using Asus and Gigabyte boards with AMD chipsets. I can't confirm if all problems are based on AMD chipsets or not but many who post seem to have that issue.

Anyway, I'm going to give it another 24 hours before I just RMA my GTX 460 and go with the Radeon 5850 which was my original plan anyway. I'm looking for some confirmation from Nvidia that this problem is being looked into. So far, it's just a bunch of angry (myself included) owners of 200-500 dollar paperweights sitting inside our computers. I'm running a standard VGA driver in 800x600 mode and I'm sick of it after days of this crap. I've tried every beta driver I could find on the internet, tried disabling everything non-essential, tried overclocking my pci-e slot, etc etc. I'm over it.

Either announce something (talking to you Nvidia) or at least tell me to freak off so I can RMA this brick inside my computer and go back to ATI once and for all. The whole reason I even bought this damn card is because of all the fanboys telling me that ATI has crappy drivers and Nvidia doesn't. Oh sweet irony. I'm putting a ticket in by noon tomorrow to get rid of this card if I don't hear something about a fix.

Posted 09/08/2010 08:04 PM   
[url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=551946&mpage=1"]http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=551946&mpage=1[/url]

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=551946&mpage=1

Posted 09/08/2010 08:04 PM   
This is the last update we got so far:
[quote name='ManuelG' post='1112610' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:34 PM']I wanted to give everyone an update. We are in the process of building the final driver and it will take about 10 days for testing to complete and pushed out to NVIDIA.com. I will still update everyone who has PM'd directly but I would expect the final driver to be available on NVIDIA.com in the next 10 days.[/quote]

BTW, angry people with problematic hardware/drivers are roughly 1% of the population. People that have working systems do not post successes on forums. Forums are usually negative and are full of problem threads.

ATI has just have as many post of problems, check out rage3d.com. It's the nature of support forums.

[quote name='ManuelG' post='1112610' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:34 PM']I wanted to give everyone an update. We are in the process of building the final driver and it will take about 10 days for testing to complete and pushed out to NVIDIA.com. I will still update everyone who has PM'd directly but I would expect the final driver to be available on NVIDIA.com in the next 10 days.

BTW, angry people with problematic hardware/drivers are roughly 1% of the population. People that have working systems do not post successes on forums. Forums are usually negative and are full of problem threads.

ATI has just have as many post of problems, check out rage3d.com. It's the nature of support forums.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 09/08/2010 08:17 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' post='1112610' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:34 PM']I wanted to give everyone an update. We are in the process of building the final driver and it will take about 10 days for testing to complete and pushed out to NVIDIA.com. I will still update everyone who has PM'd directly but I would expect the final driver to be available on NVIDIA.com in the next 10 days.[/quote]

[quote name='ManuelG' post='1112610' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:34 PM']I wanted to give everyone an update. We are in the process of building the final driver and it will take about 10 days for testing to complete and pushed out to NVIDIA.com. I will still update everyone who has PM'd directly but I would expect the final driver to be available on NVIDIA.com in the next 10 days.

Posted 09/08/2010 08:17 PM   
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1114539' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:17 PM']This is the last update we got so far:[/quote]

Is that update in relation to the problems described in the link? (freezing at welcome screen for the most part)

And is that a formal statement from Nvidia?
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1114539' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:17 PM']This is the last update we got so far:

Is that update in relation to the problems described in the link? (freezing at welcome screen for the most part)

Posted 09/08/2010 08:20 PM   
[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1114539' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:17 PM']This is the last update we got so far:[/quote]

[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1114539' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:17 PM']This is the last update we got so far:

Posted 09/08/2010 08:20 PM   
[quote name='US_Ranger' post='1114542' date='Sep 8 2010, 04:20 PM']Is that update in relation to the problems described in the link? (freezing at welcome screen for the most part)

And is that a formal statement from Nvidia?[/quote]

If ManuelG says it, it is pretty much official, but other than that, I do not believe the problem you are speaking of is addressed... I could be wrong, but I've not heard anything about it.

Edit: Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have had mainly good experiences with nvidia, but if it's not working for you and there is no fix on the horizon, do what you gotta do. Good luck.

-Andy
[quote name='US_Ranger' post='1114542' date='Sep 8 2010, 04:20 PM']Is that update in relation to the problems described in the link? (freezing at welcome screen for the most part)

If ManuelG says it, it is pretty much official, but other than that, I do not believe the problem you are speaking of is addressed... I could be wrong, but I've not heard anything about it.

Edit: Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have had mainly good experiences with nvidia, but if it's not working for you and there is no fix on the horizon, do what you gotta do. Good luck.

-Andy

GeForce GTX 480 | Intel Core i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Hannspree HF259H 24" 1080p LCD | Windows 7 64-bit

Posted 09/08/2010 08:23 PM   

-Andy

-Andy

GeForce GTX 480 | Intel Core i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Hannspree HF259H 24" 1080p LCD | Windows 7 64-bit

Posted 09/08/2010 08:23 PM   

ManualG is a Nvidia Technical Support member on this forum, he is the closest you will get in terms of formal statements, as most big companies try not to make formal statements.

The update is in relation to whatever Nvidia gathered as issues, since their last release. I dunno if your issue will be apart of this next release as I didnt bother looking at your problem. I'm just passing along info you wanted to know.

The response is found from this thread where people were asking for when the successor to 258.69 will come out.
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=177569&view=findpost&p=1112610"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1112610[/url]

ManualG is a Nvidia Technical Support member on this forum, he is the closest you will get in terms of formal statements, as most big companies try not to make formal statements.

The update is in relation to whatever Nvidia gathered as issues, since their last release. I dunno if your issue will be apart of this next release as I didnt bother looking at your problem. I'm just passing along info you wanted to know.

The response is found from this thread where people were asking for when the successor to 258.69 will come out.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1112610

Posted 09/08/2010 08:28 PM   

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=177569&view=findpost&p=1112610"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1112610[/url]

Posted 09/08/2010 08:28 PM   
The problem with drivers nVidia has be temporary, soon leaves new driver with fixed problems, when at ATI problems with drivers last many long years, in new the version fixed something old, adding new malfunctions.
The problem with drivers nVidia has be temporary, soon leaves new driver with fixed problems, when at ATI problems with drivers last many long years, in new the version fixed something old, adding new malfunctions.

Posted 09/08/2010 08:33 PM   

Posted 09/08/2010 08:33 PM   
[quote name='Alex_Smile' post='1114549' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:33 PM']The problem with drivers nVidia has be temporary, soon leaves new driver with fixed problems, when at ATI problems with drivers last many long years, in new the version fixed something old, adding new malfunctions.[/quote]

Temporary or not, at least with the "crappy" ATI drivers I could load windows.

[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1114548' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:28 PM']ManualG is a Nvidia Technical Support member on this forum, he is the closest you will get in terms of formal statements, as most big companies try not to make formal statements.

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=177569&view=findpost&p=1112610"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1112610[/url][/quote]

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll putter around until the next driver release. If that doesn't fix it, I'll RMA this piecer and find a 5850 instead.

Hopefully the issue is addressed since people have been having trouble as of early August. Some have been saying it's a chipset issue with AMD 7 series motherboards. If that's the case, this could affect thousands and thousands of people so I would hope someone would say/do something about it.
[quote name='Alex_Smile' post='1114549' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:33 PM']The problem with drivers nVidia has be temporary, soon leaves new driver with fixed problems, when at ATI problems with drivers last many long years, in new the version fixed something old, adding new malfunctions.

[quote name='bLuDrGn' post='1114548' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:28 PM']ManualG is a Nvidia Technical Support member on this forum, he is the closest you will get in terms of formal statements, as most big companies try not to make formal statements.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll putter around until the next driver release. If that doesn't fix it, I'll RMA this piecer and find a 5850 instead.

Hopefully the issue is addressed since people have been having trouble as of early August. Some have been saying it's a chipset issue with AMD 7 series motherboards. If that's the case, this could affect thousands and thousands of people so I would hope someone would say/do something about it.

Posted 09/09/2010 05:53 AM   
[quote name='Alex_Smile' post='1114549' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:33 PM']The problem with drivers nVidia has be temporary, soon leaves new driver with fixed problems, when at ATI problems with drivers last many long years, in new the version fixed something old, adding new malfunctions.[/quote]

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=177569&view=findpost&p=1112610"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1112610[/url][/quote]

[quote name='Alex_Smile' post='1114549' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:33 PM']The problem with drivers nVidia has be temporary, soon leaves new driver with fixed problems, when at ATI problems with drivers last many long years, in new the version fixed something old, adding new malfunctions.

Posted 09/09/2010 05:53 AM   
I am running two gtx 460's in my PC with no issues at all. i am also running a gtx 280 and an 8800gtx in another pc and they all run the latest drivers no problems.

i know you hav a different chipset to me but I am just leting you know that for 99.9999% of cases the drivers are absolutely fine.

if there actually is a compatibility issue with the gtx 460 and AMD chipsets then NVIDIA will be working on a fix. make sure you report it to ManuelG.
I am running two gtx 460's in my PC with no issues at all. i am also running a gtx 280 and an 8800gtx in another pc and they all run the latest drivers no problems.

i know you hav a different chipset to me but I am just leting you know that for 99.9999% of cases the drivers are absolutely fine.

if there actually is a compatibility issue with the gtx 460 and AMD chipsets then NVIDIA will be working on a fix. make sure you report it to ManuelG.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 09/09/2010 08:22 AM   
  1 / 8    
Scroll To Top