Serious problems with my 8500GT following driver 258.96 install Horrible discoloration and Windows w
  1 / 2    
I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html[/url].

I will admit that all I did to update was run the executable. I figured since it's an executable it would take care of everything for me. It completed and asked to restart my computer and I let it. After restarting, everything was still fine. I decided to try the new driver out with World of Warcraft, a game I have been playing without problems with a hardware set up that has not changed since I bought my 8500GT. A few minutes into the game, I entered a building and started running up a ramp when the game froze and everything became all discolored. I hit the Windows button and Windows was all discolored and low-rez too so I restarted my computer.

To my dismay, even my boot up screens have horrible discoloration. When the Windows log-in screen would normally appear, my computer automatically restarts itself, every time. I can start in safe mode with my card though so maybe there is hope.

For now, I have my primary monitor connected to the Radeon Xpress 200 series video card that is built in to my motherboard. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

I have attached pictures of my boot screens.

Thanks,
James

[i]Edit:[/i] I forgot to mention that I have already tried rolling back my driver while in Safe Mode and I have also tried using System Restore to restore Windows to a date before the driver install, but neither attempts yielded any success.

[b]Hardware Specs[/b]

Video Card: PNY GeForce 8500GT 512MB (purchased March 2008 from Best Buy)
Operating System: Windows XP Pro (32-bit)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 3.0 GHz
2GB RAM
Motherboard: Asus P5RD1-V
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2240w (primary, DVI connection), ViewSonic VG171b (secondary, VGA connection)
I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html.

I will admit that all I did to update was run the executable. I figured since it's an executable it would take care of everything for me. It completed and asked to restart my computer and I let it. After restarting, everything was still fine. I decided to try the new driver out with World of Warcraft, a game I have been playing without problems with a hardware set up that has not changed since I bought my 8500GT. A few minutes into the game, I entered a building and started running up a ramp when the game froze and everything became all discolored. I hit the Windows button and Windows was all discolored and low-rez too so I restarted my computer.

To my dismay, even my boot up screens have horrible discoloration. When the Windows log-in screen would normally appear, my computer automatically restarts itself, every time. I can start in safe mode with my card though so maybe there is hope.

For now, I have my primary monitor connected to the Radeon Xpress 200 series video card that is built in to my motherboard. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks,

James

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have already tried rolling back my driver while in Safe Mode and I have also tried using System Restore to restore Windows to a date before the driver install, but neither attempts yielded any success.

Hardware Specs

2GB RAM

Monitor: ViewSonic VX2240w (primary, DVI connection), ViewSonic VG171b (secondary, VGA connection)

Posted 09/01/2010 01:51 AM   
I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html[/url].

Thanks,
James

[i]Edit:[/i] I forgot to mention that I have already tried rolling back my driver while in Safe Mode and I have also tried using System Restore to restore Windows to a date before the driver install, but neither attempts yielded any success.

[b]Hardware Specs[/b]

2GB RAM
I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html.

Thanks,

James

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have already tried rolling back my driver while in Safe Mode and I have also tried using System Restore to restore Windows to a date before the driver install, but neither attempts yielded any success.

Hardware Specs

2GB RAM

Posted 09/01/2010 01:51 AM   
[quote name='skullknight' post='1111269' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:51 PM']I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html[/url].

Thanks,
James

[b]Hardware Specs[/b]

2GB RAM
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2240w (primary, DVI connection), ViewSonic VG171b (secondary, VGA connection)[/quote]

James, I am having a very similar problem. I also have an 8500GT, which has never given me a single problem in the past. Just a couple of days ago, I started getting a flickering screen and a notification along the lines of "driver display Nvidia Kernel has stopped and restarted - 197.45." This error would show up multiple times over the span of a couple minutes and then the display would freeze. I then started having color balance and discoloration problems in the display, from the boot screens all they way through the full boot of windows.

Now, my computer has stopped providing video when windows starts to load. I can see the BIOS, then nothing after, even though windows is fully booting (I can hear the login sounds). I have been able to get the system to run fine with full video in safe mode, using the 8500GT DVI connection port. It also seems, at this point, that after being powered down for a while, my machine will run in a normal boot and work fine for a bout an hour, give or take. However, likely due to heat, the video eventually fails and i have to restart. This has not been a problem for me in safe mode, as the machine ran properly through the night.

Things i have tried so far: uninstall/reinstall video drivers, BIOS update, chipset update, ensured the GPU is seated properly in the slots, cleaned the heck out of my case, cranked the case fans to the max. All to no avail thus far.

Does anyone have ANY advice? This is killing me. I have searched all over the internet and seen many suggestions, but nothing seems to be a viable solution. Multiple folks reporting this error have stated that even full re-installs of the OS has not helped. I should also note that I am running Windows7 Ultimate, and it is a fully legit version of the software which I purchased...nothing hacked, not a beta, not an early build. However, I am also dual booting XP Pro 64bit, since i wanted to feel out W7 for a while before fully transitioning. I am also getting the same problem in XP, though I don't actually get the error message delivered to me as i do in W7. XP just BSOD's or freezes depending on it's mood :angry: . Again, this is all brand new to me as I have never had a single problem with my video card in the past.

Is it possible that the card is failing? It seems odd that the card works in safe mode, making me think that this may be an issue related to higher resolution display. I have also heard that the PSU could be going bad, but from my experience with bad PSU's, safe mode would also run into problems, which has yet to be the case for me.

HELP! Thanks everyone.

Garrett

[i]Hardware Specs:

GeForce 8500GT ( i want to say it's an MSI, but I can't specifically recall...)
Intel Q6600 C2Q - 2.66mhz
Intel DG45ID board
Antec 380Watt PSU
4GB DDR2 Ram[/i]
[quote name='skullknight' post='1111269' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:51 PM']I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html.

Thanks,

James

Hardware Specs

2GB RAM

James, I am having a very similar problem. I also have an 8500GT, which has never given me a single problem in the past. Just a couple of days ago, I started getting a flickering screen and a notification along the lines of "driver display Nvidia Kernel has stopped and restarted - 197.45." This error would show up multiple times over the span of a couple minutes and then the display would freeze. I then started having color balance and discoloration problems in the display, from the boot screens all they way through the full boot of windows.

Now, my computer has stopped providing video when windows starts to load. I can see the BIOS, then nothing after, even though windows is fully booting (I can hear the login sounds). I have been able to get the system to run fine with full video in safe mode, using the 8500GT DVI connection port. It also seems, at this point, that after being powered down for a while, my machine will run in a normal boot and work fine for a bout an hour, give or take. However, likely due to heat, the video eventually fails and i have to restart. This has not been a problem for me in safe mode, as the machine ran properly through the night.

Things i have tried so far: uninstall/reinstall video drivers, BIOS update, chipset update, ensured the GPU is seated properly in the slots, cleaned the heck out of my case, cranked the case fans to the max. All to no avail thus far.

Does anyone have ANY advice? This is killing me. I have searched all over the internet and seen many suggestions, but nothing seems to be a viable solution. Multiple folks reporting this error have stated that even full re-installs of the OS has not helped. I should also note that I am running Windows7 Ultimate, and it is a fully legit version of the software which I purchased...nothing hacked, not a beta, not an early build. However, I am also dual booting XP Pro 64bit, since i wanted to feel out W7 for a while before fully transitioning. I am also getting the same problem in XP, though I don't actually get the error message delivered to me as i do in W7. XP just BSOD's or freezes depending on it's mood :angry: . Again, this is all brand new to me as I have never had a single problem with my video card in the past.

Is it possible that the card is failing? It seems odd that the card works in safe mode, making me think that this may be an issue related to higher resolution display. I have also heard that the PSU could be going bad, but from my experience with bad PSU's, safe mode would also run into problems, which has yet to be the case for me.

HELP! Thanks everyone.

Garrett

Hardware Specs:

Intel DG45ID board

Antec 380Watt PSU

4GB DDR2 Ram

Posted 09/02/2010 06:19 PM   
[quote name='skullknight' post='1111269' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:51 PM']I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html[/url].

Thanks,
James

[b]Hardware Specs[/b]

2GB RAM
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2240w (primary, DVI connection), ViewSonic VG171b (secondary, VGA connection)[/quote]

HELP! Thanks everyone.

Garrett

[i]Hardware Specs:

Intel DG45ID board
Antec 380Watt PSU
4GB DDR2 Ram[/i]
[quote name='skullknight' post='1111269' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:51 PM']I have a GeForce 8500GT that has been working just fine until I made the mistake of updating my driver (dated June 29, 2007) to the 258.96 driver, dated July 19, 2010 and available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html.

Thanks,

James

Hardware Specs

2GB RAM

HELP! Thanks everyone.

Garrett

Hardware Specs:

Intel DG45ID board

Antec 380Watt PSU

4GB DDR2 Ram

Posted 09/02/2010 06:19 PM   
Sorry to say it looks like a dead or dieing card. Artifacts on a bios screen generally means bad hardware, possibly v-ram, or heat, etc.

-Andy (MCP and experienced former professional tech)
Sorry to say it looks like a dead or dieing card. Artifacts on a bios screen generally means bad hardware, possibly v-ram, or heat, etc.

GeForce GTX 480 | Intel Core i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Hannspree HF259H 24" 1080p LCD | Windows 7 64-bit

Posted 09/02/2010 06:24 PM   

GeForce GTX 480 | Intel Core i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Hannspree HF259H 24" 1080p LCD | Windows 7 64-bit

Posted 09/02/2010 06:24 PM   
[quote name='personman_145' post='1112009' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:24 PM']Sorry to say it looks like a dead or dieing card. Artifacts on a bios screen generally means bad hardware, possibly v-ram, or heat, etc.

-Andy (MCP and experienced former professional tech)[/quote]

Good to know, Andy. Thanks. At least I can now buy a new card with a little more confidence...I'll update when i end up getting the new hardware installed.
[quote name='personman_145' post='1112009' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:24 PM']Sorry to say it looks like a dead or dieing card. Artifacts on a bios screen generally means bad hardware, possibly v-ram, or heat, etc.

Good to know, Andy. Thanks. At least I can now buy a new card with a little more confidence...I'll update when i end up getting the new hardware installed.

Posted 09/02/2010 09:28 PM   

-Andy (MCP and experienced former professional tech)[/quote]

Posted 09/02/2010 09:28 PM   
To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555[/url]

If that still doesn't work, then your 8500GT is toast and you need to replace it. Make note of the power supply unit in your computer if you're shopping for a new graphics card.

[quote name='GarrettTV' post='1112097' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:28 AM']At least I can now buy a new card with a little more confidence...I'll update when i end up getting the new hardware installed.[/quote]
Make sure to do reseach on what cards can run on your system. Your power supply unit is too weak for anything higher than a GT 240 1GB GDDR5, so you will need to upgrade your PSU if you want anything higher than the GT 240. The GT 240 1GB GDDR5 is quite a capable card for moderate gaming though, and it certainly smacks the 8500GT around performance-wise so you may want to take a look at that card. Make sure to get the GDDR5 version and not the slower DDR3 version.
To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

If that still doesn't work, then your 8500GT is toast and you need to replace it. Make note of the power supply unit in your computer if you're shopping for a new graphics card.

[quote name='GarrettTV' post='1112097' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:28 AM']At least I can now buy a new card with a little more confidence...I'll update when i end up getting the new hardware installed.

Make sure to do reseach on what cards can run on your system. Your power supply unit is too weak for anything higher than a GT 240 1GB GDDR5, so you will need to upgrade your PSU if you want anything higher than the GT 240. The GT 240 1GB GDDR5 is quite a capable card for moderate gaming though, and it certainly smacks the 8500GT around performance-wise so you may want to take a look at that card. Make sure to get the GDDR5 version and not the slower DDR3 version.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K @4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD43 (Intel Z77 chipset)
Graphics: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 660 Ti @1019MHz)
RAM: 2 x 4GB Visipro PC3-12800 (1.5V @933MHz)
PSU: Seasonic Eco 600W SS-600BT Active PFC T3
Monitor: Asus VX239H (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 09/03/2010 12:18 PM   
To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555[/url]

[quote name='GarrettTV' post='1112097' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:28 AM']At least I can now buy a new card with a little more confidence...I'll update when i end up getting the new hardware installed.[/quote]
To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

[quote name='GarrettTV' post='1112097' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:28 AM']At least I can now buy a new card with a little more confidence...I'll update when i end up getting the new hardware installed.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K @4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD43 (Intel Z77 chipset)
Graphics: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 660 Ti @1019MHz)
RAM: 2 x 4GB Visipro PC3-12800 (1.5V @933MHz)
PSU: Seasonic Eco 600W SS-600BT Active PFC T3
Monitor: Asus VX239H (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 09/03/2010 12:18 PM   
Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of town.

[quote name='Ital' post='1112359' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:18 AM']To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555[/url][/quote]

I will give that a try this weekend and let you all know if I make any progress.

@personman_145: That's what I was afraid of. Do you think I should give PNY a call, maybe see if any kind of warranty is still in effect, especially considering installing the driver led to its death? I still have the receipt.

[quote name='Ital' post='1112359' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:18 AM']To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

I will give that a try this weekend and let you all know if I make any progress.

@personman_145: That's what I was afraid of. Do you think I should give PNY a call, maybe see if any kind of warranty is still in effect, especially considering installing the driver led to its death? I still have the receipt.

Posted 09/10/2010 07:02 PM   

[quote name='Ital' post='1112359' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:18 AM']To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555[/url][/quote]

[quote name='Ital' post='1112359' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:18 AM']To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

Posted 09/10/2010 07:02 PM   
[quote name='Ital' post='1112359' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:18 AM']To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555[/url]

If that still doesn't work, then your 8500GT is toast and you need to replace it. Make note of the power supply unit in your computer if you're shopping for a new graphics card.[/quote]

Looks my 8500GT is toast. I have tried what you recommended and just about everything else I can think of, but the artifacts remain. I did however get Windows to boot normally after step 7 of those instructions (a Driver Sweeper clean followed by a reboot).

I replaced my 8500GT with a 9500GT and it seems to be okay so far. I have no plans to update its drivers after this experience.

Looks my 8500GT is toast. I have tried what you recommended and just about everything else I can think of, but the artifacts remain. I did however get Windows to boot normally after step 7 of those instructions (a Driver Sweeper clean followed by a reboot).

I replaced my 8500GT with a 9500GT and it seems to be okay so far. I have no plans to update its drivers after this experience.

Posted 09/27/2010 01:39 AM   
[quote name='Ital' post='1112359' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:18 AM']To OP, one last thing to try is to completely uninstall the latest drivers and go back to an older one. Follow the following instructions to the letter to completely remove any traces of Nvidia drivers so that you can cleanly install an older version: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555[/url]

If that still doesn't work, then your 8500GT is toast and you need to replace it. Make note of the power supply unit in your computer if you're shopping for a new graphics card.[/quote]

1 / 2    
Scroll To Top