259.47 Made a new user account called 'UpdatusUser'
  1 / 2    
Can someone explain to me why 259.47 is creating a whole new user account called 'UpdatusUser'?

That seems like a really stupid thing to do.

Also what does Updatus actualy do?
Can someone explain to me why 259.47 is creating a whole new user account called 'UpdatusUser'?

Posted 08/29/2010 04:29 PM   

Posted 08/29/2010 04:29 PM   
I might be wrong, but 259.47WHQL is not a general Geforce/Ion driver release for all Desktop cards
I believe it was released to Microsoft for WHQL release on Windows Update for select HP OEM Laptops/Notebooks
Perhaps the user is something to do with that?
Not sure, I am curious....
John
I might be wrong, but 259.47WHQL is not a general Geforce/Ion driver release for all Desktop cards

I believe it was released to Microsoft for WHQL release on Windows Update for select HP OEM Laptops/Notebooks

John

MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning XE , Factory Overclocked 832Mhz Core, 1664Mhz Shader and 4200Mhz Memory

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650

ASUS Rampage Extreme X48 Motherboard

8GB of DDR3 @ 1333Mhz CL8

NEC 24WMGX3

Windows 7 x64 with Service Pack 1

Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty

Posted 08/29/2010 04:35 PM   
John

John

MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning XE , Factory Overclocked 832Mhz Core, 1664Mhz Shader and 4200Mhz Memory

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650

ASUS Rampage Extreme X48 Motherboard

8GB of DDR3 @ 1333Mhz CL8

NEC 24WMGX3

Windows 7 x64 with Service Pack 1

Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty

Posted 08/29/2010 04:35 PM   
I checked the registry for some of the exe's in \Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Updatus\ (Im on Win7 x64) and apparantly its for "NVIDIA Update Service Daemon" which does (and again Im quoteing the description from the registry entry) "NVIDIA Settings Update Manager service, used to check new updates from NVIDIA server.".

It's a System Service set to run Automatically (Delayed Start) running as UpdatusUser. I'm going to change it to use Local System, Set to Manual and then delete the UpdatusUser user account and folder.

[quote name='JohnZS' post='1110168' date='Aug 29 2010, 12:35 PM']I might be wrong, but 259.47WHQL is not a general Geforce/Ion driver release for all Desktop cards
I believe it was released to Microsoft for WHQL release on Windows Update for select HP OEM Laptops/Notebooks[/quote]

Your right, but It fixes the severe DPC Latency issue with my Intel P35 Express chipset when the card is in 2D mode.

-------

Next time I'll download un-offical drivers from Laptopvideo2go instead of ripping the cab off of the windows update site.

Consider my question answered (And sorry for any miss-spelled words, I just re-installed and am on IE8 without spellcheck). /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

Cheers,
Quad
I checked the registry for some of the exe's in \Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Updatus\ (Im on Win7 x64) and apparantly its for "NVIDIA Update Service Daemon" which does (and again Im quoteing the description from the registry entry) "NVIDIA Settings Update Manager service, used to check new updates from NVIDIA server.".

It's a System Service set to run Automatically (Delayed Start) running as UpdatusUser. I'm going to change it to use Local System, Set to Manual and then delete the UpdatusUser user account and folder.

[quote name='JohnZS' post='1110168' date='Aug 29 2010, 12:35 PM']I might be wrong, but 259.47WHQL is not a general Geforce/Ion driver release for all Desktop cards

Your right, but It fixes the severe DPC Latency issue with my Intel P35 Express chipset when the card is in 2D mode.

-------

Next time I'll download un-offical drivers from Laptopvideo2go instead of ripping the cab off of the windows update site.

Consider my question answered (And sorry for any miss-spelled words, I just re-installed and am on IE8 without spellcheck). /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

Cheers,

Quad

Posted 08/29/2010 04:59 PM   

I believe it was released to Microsoft for WHQL release on Windows Update for select HP OEM Laptops/Notebooks[/quote]

-------

Cheers,
Quad

-------

Cheers,

Quad

Posted 08/29/2010 04:59 PM   
Update:
I completly removed it by going to "\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\" (Im on 64 bit windows) finding the Updatus installer folder and then running setup.exe with the '/uninst' switch.

Also I found a PvSonyDLL MSI installer that was also installed along with the 259.47 in 'C:\Windows\Installer', I just right clicked on the MSI and chose Uninstall.

Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY kids: DON'T install unoffical drivers(unless you don't have a choice). =P
Update:

I completly removed it by going to "\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\" (Im on 64 bit windows) finding the Updatus installer folder and then running setup.exe with the '/uninst' switch.

Also I found a PvSonyDLL MSI installer that was also installed along with the 259.47 in 'C:\Windows\Installer', I just right clicked on the MSI and chose Uninstall.

Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY kids: DON'T install unoffical drivers(unless you don't have a choice). =P

Posted 08/29/2010 05:32 PM   
Update:

Update:

Posted 08/29/2010 05:32 PM   
[quote name='Quad5Ny' post='1110184' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:32 PM']...Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY kids: DON'T install unoffical drivers(unless you don't have a choice). =P[/quote]
If your source was Windows Update, it [i]is[/i] an official update. It's just not a source with Enthusiasts and cutting-edge hardware combinations in mind...
[quote name='Quad5Ny' post='1110184' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:32 PM']...Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY kids: DON'T install unoffical drivers(unless you don't have a choice). =P

If your source was Windows Update, it is an official update. It's just not a source with Enthusiasts and cutting-edge hardware combinations in mind...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/29/2010 06:44 PM   
[quote name='Quad5Ny' post='1110184' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:32 PM']...Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY kids: DON'T install unoffical drivers(unless you don't have a choice). =P[/quote]
If your source was Windows Update, it [i]is[/i] an official update. It's just not a source with Enthusiasts and cutting-edge hardware combinations in mind...
[quote name='Quad5Ny' post='1110184' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:32 PM']...Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY kids: DON'T install unoffical drivers(unless you don't have a choice). =P

If your source was Windows Update, it is an official update. It's just not a source with Enthusiasts and cutting-edge hardware combinations in mind...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/29/2010 06:44 PM   
It's official, but not for the hardware I installed it on (like JohnZS said its for a OEM laptop, probably a Sony).

Also it wasnt pushed through the standard Windows Update app, I downloaded it directly -

Windows Vista / Windows 7 x86 (32-bit): [url="http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2010/08/20376209_7ae6c54845a76e0c1b796d023124b6c43d908c63.cab"]http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...6c43d908c63.cab[/url]
Windows Vista / Windows 7 x64 (64-bit): [url="http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2010/08/20376210_70a476ede1c3a23125e47bfbeb0d33acec9c13b7.cab"]http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...3acec9c13b7.cab[/url]
It's official, but not for the hardware I installed it on (like JohnZS said its for a OEM laptop, probably a Sony).

Also it wasnt pushed through the standard Windows Update app, I downloaded it directly -

Windows Vista / Windows 7 x86 (32-bit): http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...6c43d908c63.cab

Windows Vista / Windows 7 x64 (64-bit): http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...3acec9c13b7.cab

Posted 08/29/2010 07:56 PM   

Windows Vista / Windows 7 x86 (32-bit): [url="http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2010/08/20376209_7ae6c54845a76e0c1b796d023124b6c43d908c63.cab"]http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...6c43d908c63.cab[/url]
Windows Vista / Windows 7 x64 (64-bit): [url="http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2010/08/20376210_70a476ede1c3a23125e47bfbeb0d33acec9c13b7.cab"]http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...3acec9c13b7.cab[/url]

Windows Vista / Windows 7 x86 (32-bit): http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...6c43d908c63.cab

Windows Vista / Windows 7 x64 (64-bit): http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...3acec9c13b7.cab

Posted 08/29/2010 07:56 PM   
In other words, you bypassed the normal WU detection route, which [i]might[/i]'ve made a difference. I know nothing's shown up on my stops to the WU site - I don't download automatically but I do stop by every Tuesday.

But as to the update redirection towards nVidia's site, I can think of one reason off the top of my head that would be beneficial for the [i]regular[/i] user. WU updates aren't released with the same frequency that the nVidia site seeds them, and the nVidia site is already set up for hardware detection via the updater. It would tend to keep them more up-to-date and would be in line with the general industry push to override most users' tendency to ignore the necessity of things like security updates.

But, as usual, those of us with customized configurations don't always want to play "follow the leader" like lambs behind the lead goat...
In other words, you bypassed the normal WU detection route, which might've made a difference. I know nothing's shown up on my stops to the WU site - I don't download automatically but I do stop by every Tuesday.

But as to the update redirection towards nVidia's site, I can think of one reason off the top of my head that would be beneficial for the regular user. WU updates aren't released with the same frequency that the nVidia site seeds them, and the nVidia site is already set up for hardware detection via the updater. It would tend to keep them more up-to-date and would be in line with the general industry push to override most users' tendency to ignore the necessity of things like security updates.

But, as usual, those of us with customized configurations don't always want to play "follow the leader" like lambs behind the lead goat...

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/29/2010 08:20 PM   
In other words, you bypassed the normal WU detection route, which [i]might[/i]'ve made a difference. I know nothing's shown up on my stops to the WU site - I don't download automatically but I do stop by every Tuesday.

But as to the update redirection towards nVidia's site, I can think of one reason off the top of my head that would be beneficial for the [i]regular[/i] user. WU updates aren't released with the same frequency that the nVidia site seeds them, and the nVidia site is already set up for hardware detection via the updater. It would tend to keep them more up-to-date and would be in line with the general industry push to override most users' tendency to ignore the necessity of things like security updates.

In other words, you bypassed the normal WU detection route, which might've made a difference. I know nothing's shown up on my stops to the WU site - I don't download automatically but I do stop by every Tuesday.

But as to the update redirection towards nVidia's site, I can think of one reason off the top of my head that would be beneficial for the regular user. WU updates aren't released with the same frequency that the nVidia site seeds them, and the nVidia site is already set up for hardware detection via the updater. It would tend to keep them more up-to-date and would be in line with the general industry push to override most users' tendency to ignore the necessity of things like security updates.

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/29/2010 08:20 PM   
It did? Thats good news. You got to like that.

[quote name='Quad5Ny' post='1110175' date='Aug 29 2010, 11:59 AM']Your right, but It fixes the severe DPC Latency issue with my Intel P35 Express chipset when the card is in 2D mode.

-------[/quote]
It did? Thats good news. You got to like that.

[quote name='Quad5Ny' post='1110175' date='Aug 29 2010, 11:59 AM']Your right, but It fixes the severe DPC Latency issue with my Intel P35 Express chipset when the card is in 2D mode.

-------

Would you like SLI Support for your game?

nvidia.com_sli_request_form

Nvidia_SLI_Profile_Update#7_2011.03.01

Posted 08/29/2010 08:56 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top