3D Surround with 5 Monitors GPU choice and configuration?
  1 / 4    
I want to have three monitors using the surround feature with FSX. Additionally, I want 1 maybe 2 more monitors for the instruments.

I am loking for advice as to the GPU choice and configuration. Wow, I am afriad to learn I will need to upgrade to an X58 based system.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I want to have three monitors using the surround feature with FSX. Additionally, I want 1 maybe 2 more monitors for the instruments.

I am loking for advice as to the GPU choice and configuration. Wow, I am afriad to learn I will need to upgrade to an X58 based system.

EVGA P55FTW I875K OC 4.0Ghz

GTX580 GTX470 Triple Head to Go

Windows 7/64

5 monitors

FSX

Posted 08/24/2010 03:27 PM   

Windows 7/64

5 monitors

FSX

Posted 08/24/2010 03:27 PM   
Forget it for now. Only 4 monitors are supported in desktop mode and that doesn't even work for some people although it does for me, at least when I had that configuration. I have since sold all those old monitors and am now running 3 24" 3d monitors only. Nvidia says that there are no plans to ever support more than 3 monitors in surround gaming. Probably a bandwidth limitation I'm sure. I take it you are a CFII irl? Eventually I will be getting my PPL, whenever this crap economy ever recovers, if ever....
Forget it for now. Only 4 monitors are supported in desktop mode and that doesn't even work for some people although it does for me, at least when I had that configuration. I have since sold all those old monitors and am now running 3 24" 3d monitors only. Nvidia says that there are no plans to ever support more than 3 monitors in surround gaming. Probably a bandwidth limitation I'm sure. I take it you are a CFII irl? Eventually I will be getting my PPL, whenever this crap economy ever recovers, if ever....

Asus P8P67 Pro | i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | 8 GB DDR3 1866 | Nvidia GTX760 SLI | Samsung 840 500GB SSD and WD 1TB | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Acer 3 X GD235HZ - Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Posted 08/24/2010 09:08 PM   

Asus P8P67 Pro | i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | 8 GB DDR3 1866 | Nvidia GTX760 SLI | Samsung 840 500GB SSD and WD 1TB | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Acer 3 X GD235HZ - Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Posted 08/24/2010 09:08 PM   
You might have to mix into the setup a few Matrox GXM products to pull it off. What is your current spec? Multi-display FSX can choke any system including a X58 based one. FSX is a pig unless you really go about tweaking your settings.
You might have to mix into the setup a few Matrox GXM products to pull it off. What is your current spec? Multi-display FSX can choke any system including a X58 based one. FSX is a pig unless you really go about tweaking your settings.

Posted 08/25/2010 12:02 AM   

Posted 08/25/2010 12:02 AM   
Even with the extra monitors there is no way to get those monitors to work with games with the 3 monitors that are part of the surround hookup. In windows sure you could add a 4th monitor via the 4th dvi port on the secondary card or even add a TH2G to the 4th dvi port if you wanted and you could get 6 monitors for windows desktop that way, but those other 3 monitors will only show the desktop when you are in fsx. You will not be able to drag gauges to them when you are flying. I never had any framerate issues or weird compatibility issues in fsx with my TH2G. Nvidia surround on the other hand does not play nice with fsx and there are all manner of slowdowns, bugs and issues with fsx with surround. It works but it is not seamless or smooth. At best my framerate is maybe 90% of what it used to be and I am constantly fighting issues like gpus that won't downclock after exiting from fsx, 2d panels that drop my frame rate by 50% if they are enabled when in 3d, antialiasing dropping my fps by 50%, etc, etc. 3DVS is beta technology at best but I suppose that's par for the course when you are on the bleeding edge, or so they tell me...
Even with the extra monitors there is no way to get those monitors to work with games with the 3 monitors that are part of the surround hookup. In windows sure you could add a 4th monitor via the 4th dvi port on the secondary card or even add a TH2G to the 4th dvi port if you wanted and you could get 6 monitors for windows desktop that way, but those other 3 monitors will only show the desktop when you are in fsx. You will not be able to drag gauges to them when you are flying. I never had any framerate issues or weird compatibility issues in fsx with my TH2G. Nvidia surround on the other hand does not play nice with fsx and there are all manner of slowdowns, bugs and issues with fsx with surround. It works but it is not seamless or smooth. At best my framerate is maybe 90% of what it used to be and I am constantly fighting issues like gpus that won't downclock after exiting from fsx, 2d panels that drop my frame rate by 50% if they are enabled when in 3d, antialiasing dropping my fps by 50%, etc, etc. 3DVS is beta technology at best but I suppose that's par for the course when you are on the bleeding edge, or so they tell me...

Posted 08/25/2010 12:50 AM   

Posted 08/25/2010 12:50 AM   
Tell me more about TH2G. Can we display the outside view on the TH2G monitors and have 2 monitors for instruments?

My spec is a P55FTW, I875K CPU clocked to 4.1 GHz. I am also curious about the eyfinity technology.

The best solution is xplane where I get 100fps and FlyThisSim instrument panels. I would go this direction but I want a real airline sim like Level D 767.

Thanks for your comments.
Tell me more about TH2G. Can we display the outside view on the TH2G monitors and have 2 monitors for instruments?

My spec is a P55FTW, I875K CPU clocked to 4.1 GHz. I am also curious about the eyfinity technology.

The best solution is xplane where I get 100fps and FlyThisSim instrument panels. I would go this direction but I want a real airline sim like Level D 767.

Windows 7/64

5 monitors

FSX

Posted 08/25/2010 11:45 AM   

Windows 7/64

5 monitors

FSX

Posted 08/25/2010 11:45 AM   
[quote name='bradrcfii' post='1108619' date='Aug 25 2010, 06:45 AM']Tell me more about TH2G. Can we display the outside view on the TH2G monitors and have 2 monitors for instruments?

Thanks for your comments.[/quote]

My specialty isn't in MSFS knowledge. Those what could answer that question would be over at www.mycockpit.org.
[quote name='bradrcfii' post='1108619' date='Aug 25 2010, 06:45 AM']Tell me more about TH2G. Can we display the outside view on the TH2G monitors and have 2 monitors for instruments?

My specialty isn't in MSFS knowledge. Those what could answer that question would be over at www.mycockpit.org.

Posted 08/26/2010 06:11 AM   

Thanks for your comments.[/quote]

Posted 08/26/2010 06:11 AM   
[quote name='BHawthorne' post='1108966' date='Aug 26 2010, 07:11 AM']My specialty isn't in MSFS knowledge. Those what could answer that question would be over at www.mycockpit.org.[/quote]
I can tell you everything you need to know about multi monitor displays. Now Brad, I am assuming that you do not require stereoscopic 3D, is that correct? How many, and what type of GPU(s) do you have?
[quote name='BHawthorne' post='1108966' date='Aug 26 2010, 07:11 AM']My specialty isn't in MSFS knowledge. Those what could answer that question would be over at www.mycockpit.org.

I can tell you everything you need to know about multi monitor displays. Now Brad, I am assuming that you do not require stereoscopic 3D, is that correct? How many, and what type of GPU(s) do you have?

ASUS SKT-1366 P6T Deluxe V2

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 975 Extreme OC to 4.2GHZ

6gb of 1866mhz Dominator DDR3

1TB Samsung F1 SATA II

Nvidia GeForce 590 GTX

Acer 3D 27 inch X 3

3D Vision Surround.

Posted 08/26/2010 06:47 AM   
[quote name='BHawthorne' post='1108966' date='Aug 26 2010, 07:11 AM']My specialty isn't in MSFS knowledge. Those what could answer that question would be over at www.mycockpit.org.[/quote]
[quote name='BHawthorne' post='1108966' date='Aug 26 2010, 07:11 AM']My specialty isn't in MSFS knowledge. Those what could answer that question would be over at www.mycockpit.org.

ASUS SKT-1366 P6T Deluxe V2

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 975 Extreme OC to 4.2GHZ

6gb of 1866mhz Dominator DDR3

1TB Samsung F1 SATA II

Nvidia GeForce 590 GTX

Acer 3D 27 inch X 3

3D Vision Surround.

Posted 08/26/2010 06:47 AM   
Slip and I are both extremely knowledgeable when it comes to flight sim setups. The TH2G is a great setup but it is limited to 1280x1024 monitors (unless you get the special 57hz 1680x1050 WS monitors which are difficult to find) for a max rez of 3840x1024. It also will only do 60hz which means no 3D vision surround. You can do 3d discover with the blue/red glasses but the color is tinted and washed out with that technology. You can on the other hand use a 4th monitor for gauges with the TH2G unlike with nvidia surround. Nvidia surround is also a LOT more picky and buggy with fsx than the TH2G was but then again you are getting a much nicer rez at 5760x1080 and 3D Vision Surround support if you are running 120hz 3D monitors. The TH2G solution is obviously much cheaper but not nearly as feature rich or future proof as nvidia surround.
Slip and I are both extremely knowledgeable when it comes to flight sim setups. The TH2G is a great setup but it is limited to 1280x1024 monitors (unless you get the special 57hz 1680x1050 WS monitors which are difficult to find) for a max rez of 3840x1024. It also will only do 60hz which means no 3D vision surround. You can do 3d discover with the blue/red glasses but the color is tinted and washed out with that technology. You can on the other hand use a 4th monitor for gauges with the TH2G unlike with nvidia surround. Nvidia surround is also a LOT more picky and buggy with fsx than the TH2G was but then again you are getting a much nicer rez at 5760x1080 and 3D Vision Surround support if you are running 120hz 3D monitors. The TH2G solution is obviously much cheaper but not nearly as feature rich or future proof as nvidia surround.

Posted 08/26/2010 11:55 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top