Multi Card issues doesn't even get to OS screen EVGA GT240 1GB DDR5 and EVGA G210 512MB DDR2
  1 / 2    
Hi All,

First time posting on this forum but i know how great forum resources can be, so here goes. I have 2 HD computer monitors that I was running on a EVGA GT240 1GB DDR5 Card that I had bought last week on Windows 7 OS. Everything was working great. I went home to visit my parents and found my brother had another HD computer monitor (he's away studying abroad for a year) so I took it and knew that I needed another card (preferably something cheap) so that I could use all 3 monitors. When I plug the EVGA G210 card into my mobo (into the PCI-E 4x slot, not the 8x or 16x slots) the screen loads up showing the resources, but then after it loads the list of PCI devices, the screen right before the "Starting windows" screen, the computer automatically tries to restart itself.

When I only try to plug in the cheaper card into the main PCI-E slot it works. So the cards independently are working ok. Can anyone give me feedback as to why I can't get the 2 cards to work? I know that it's not SLI, I'm not trying to use it as such, just trying to get the 3rd monitor to be usable.

If you need clarifications just post, and I'll try to monitor the thread constantly to answer.

Thanks all!! :unsure:
Hi All,

First time posting on this forum but i know how great forum resources can be, so here goes. I have 2 HD computer monitors that I was running on a EVGA GT240 1GB DDR5 Card that I had bought last week on Windows 7 OS. Everything was working great. I went home to visit my parents and found my brother had another HD computer monitor (he's away studying abroad for a year) so I took it and knew that I needed another card (preferably something cheap) so that I could use all 3 monitors. When I plug the EVGA G210 card into my mobo (into the PCI-E 4x slot, not the 8x or 16x slots) the screen loads up showing the resources, but then after it loads the list of PCI devices, the screen right before the "Starting windows" screen, the computer automatically tries to restart itself.

When I only try to plug in the cheaper card into the main PCI-E slot it works. So the cards independently are working ok. Can anyone give me feedback as to why I can't get the 2 cards to work? I know that it's not SLI, I'm not trying to use it as such, just trying to get the 3rd monitor to be usable.

If you need clarifications just post, and I'll try to monitor the thread constantly to answer.

Posted 08/18/2010 03:53 AM   
Hi All,

Hi All,

Posted 08/18/2010 03:53 AM   
Slot or power problems?...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/18/2010 09:49 AM   

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/18/2010 09:49 AM   
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1105510' date='Aug 18 2010, 02:49 AM']Slot or power problems?...[/quote]

I don't think it's a slot problem since I tried plugging it into both x8 PCI-E slots and the x4 PCI-E slot and the same thing happened. As for power... I'm running the mobo, cd drive, 3 hard drives, a GT240 and now trying to add the 210 card and I'm using a.... I believe a thermaltake with 350w or 400w

Could it just be a problem with not enough power?
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1105510' date='Aug 18 2010, 02:49 AM']Slot or power problems?...

I don't think it's a slot problem since I tried plugging it into both x8 PCI-E slots and the x4 PCI-E slot and the same thing happened. As for power... I'm running the mobo, cd drive, 3 hard drives, a GT240 and now trying to add the 210 card and I'm using a.... I believe a thermaltake with 350w or 400w

Posted 08/18/2010 06:19 PM   
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1105510' date='Aug 18 2010, 02:49 AM']Slot or power problems?...[/quote]

[quote name='jaafaman' post='1105510' date='Aug 18 2010, 02:49 AM']Slot or power problems?...

Posted 08/18/2010 06:19 PM   
Between the two cards, you're pulling 100W from the MOBO. Either one suggests a minimum of a 300W PSU when run alone. And since we're apparently both guessing, judging from the point of failure I'm guessing it's not a 400W like you are...
Between the two cards, you're pulling 100W from the MOBO. Either one suggests a minimum of a 300W PSU when run alone. And since we're apparently both guessing, judging from the point of failure I'm guessing it's not a 400W like you are...

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/18/2010 06:37 PM   

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/18/2010 06:37 PM   
Hey all, I bought an Antec 650W power supply in the hopes that replacing my 430W Thermaltake PSU would solve the problem as advised above but the problem still persists. Which kind of sucks since anyone who has ever bought something to solve a problem knows, once you plug it in and find out it doesn't work... heartbreaking. Anywho if this community can still offer me some help I'd appreciate it. I have a EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard and i took a video of the problem and of the CMOS code that shows it cycling twice and failing around the same error code before restarting (I think F3 is restart, if you watch the video and listen to the fan noice, the fan dies when the restart happens then powers back up). It goes 40, 41 quick, restarts then F3.

The link is below. Thanks for your help and time, i know that everyone has busy lives, so THANKS MUCH!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3dUgc2y0c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3dUgc2y0c[/url]
Hey all, I bought an Antec 650W power supply in the hopes that replacing my 430W Thermaltake PSU would solve the problem as advised above but the problem still persists. Which kind of sucks since anyone who has ever bought something to solve a problem knows, once you plug it in and find out it doesn't work... heartbreaking. Anywho if this community can still offer me some help I'd appreciate it. I have a EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard and i took a video of the problem and of the CMOS code that shows it cycling twice and failing around the same error code before restarting (I think F3 is restart, if you watch the video and listen to the fan noice, the fan dies when the restart happens then powers back up). It goes 40, 41 quick, restarts then F3.

The link is below. Thanks for your help and time, i know that everyone has busy lives, so THANKS MUCH!

Posted 08/20/2010 03:50 AM   

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3dUgc2y0c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3dUgc2y0c[/url]

Posted 08/20/2010 03:50 AM   
I would clear the CMOS data and try again, either by using the lil CMOS switch or removing the motherboard battery for 5+ minutes.

My mobo uses a very similar LED diagnostic lights but I have never seen a 40 or 41 (C0, C1, 26, 2d, 52, 75+ etc are all the same on mine)
I would clear the CMOS data and try again, either by using the lil CMOS switch or removing the motherboard battery for 5+ minutes.

My mobo uses a very similar LED diagnostic lights but I have never seen a 40 or 41 (C0, C1, 26, 2d, 52, 75+ etc are all the same on mine)

[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' post='1106411' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:07 PM']I would clear the CMOS data and try again, either by using the lil CMOS switch or removing the motherboard battery for 5+ minutes.

My mobo uses a very similar LED diagnostic lights but I have never seen a 40 or 41 (C0, C1, 26, 2d, 52, 75+ etc are all the same on mine)[/quote]

Reseting the cmos didn't seem to do anything, the problem remains. I tried to grab my housemates's GT240 1GB DDR3 to plug in to see if it was a compatibility issue having two different types of cards, but the exact same problem happens, after the PCI list is generated the pc just restarts and goes over the bios and hardware list screens again.

The booklet for the mobo says that it supports multiple graphics cards, but does that mean only SLI cards? because neither of the two cards, GT240 and G210 or both GT240 cards are SLI. I just want to be able to use 3 monitors... not improve performance in graphics for gaming or anything... that's why i bought the cheap 210 as the card that would allow me to add the 3rd monitor. Anyone know?

I need mucho help /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> bump for some help? Is it the mobo in anyone's opinion? I mean the PCI regular slot works with my wifi card.
[quote name='-{RaptoR}-' post='1106411' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:07 PM']I would clear the CMOS data and try again, either by using the lil CMOS switch or removing the motherboard battery for 5+ minutes.

Reseting the cmos didn't seem to do anything, the problem remains. I tried to grab my housemates's GT240 1GB DDR3 to plug in to see if it was a compatibility issue having two different types of cards, but the exact same problem happens, after the PCI list is generated the pc just restarts and goes over the bios and hardware list screens again.

The booklet for the mobo says that it supports multiple graphics cards, but does that mean only SLI cards? because neither of the two cards, GT240 and G210 or both GT240 cards are SLI. I just want to be able to use 3 monitors... not improve performance in graphics for gaming or anything... that's why i bought the cheap 210 as the card that would allow me to add the 3rd monitor. Anyone know?

I need mucho help /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> bump for some help? Is it the mobo in anyone's opinion? I mean the PCI regular slot works with my wifi card.

Posted 08/20/2010 05:55 AM   

My mobo uses a very similar LED diagnostic lights but I have never seen a 40 or 41 (C0, C1, 26, 2d, 52, 75+ etc are all the same on mine)[/quote]

Posted 08/20/2010 05:55 AM   
[quote name='mastaboywonder' post='1106447' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:55 PM']Reseting the cmos didn't seem to do anything, the problem remains. I tried to grab my housemates's GT240 1GB DDR3 to plug in to see if it was a compatibility issue having two different types of cards, but the exact same problem happens, after the PCI list is generated the pc just restarts and goes over the bios and hardware list screens again.

I need mucho help /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> bump for some help? Is it the mobo in anyone's opinion? I mean the PCI regular slot works with my wifi card.[/quote]

Bump for some much needed newbie advise.
[quote name='mastaboywonder' post='1106447' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:55 PM']Reseting the cmos didn't seem to do anything, the problem remains. I tried to grab my housemates's GT240 1GB DDR3 to plug in to see if it was a compatibility issue having two different types of cards, but the exact same problem happens, after the PCI list is generated the pc just restarts and goes over the bios and hardware list screens again.

Bump for some much needed newbie advise.

Posted 08/20/2010 10:44 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top