WoW Keeps Freezes On Me - Has Ruined 2 Video Cards
edit - Screwed up the title lol

WoW keeps freezing on me while playing and it is ruining my vid cards. Below is a detailed account of everything.

My Original Rig:
Intel Core2 Quad-Core Q6700 at 2.67GHz
MSI P7N SLI Platinum Mobo
500GB S-ATA II 7200 RPM Hard Drive
2x NVIDIA 8800 GT in SLi (manuf: Zotac)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 24-Bit 7.1
Vista home premium 64 bit
6gig RAM
Tagan-ITZ 800W PSU

Changes made on 8/11/2010
2x NVIDIA 9800 GT in SLi (also made by Zotac)
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

In late April/early may, I started getting freezes while playing WoW. The screen would freeze; even the sound would freeze and be stuck making the last noise continually. Afterwards I have to turn the power off manually.

After a couple weeks of this (and about 4-5 freezes), the card died. I was getting a lot of artifacting/anomalies/muli-colored dotted patterns all over the screen in windows, any application and even the bios/ boot screens. Card was sent in for replacement.

For the next 6 weeks or so, I ran it with just the single card without issue. Then in early July, I started getting freezes again. After the 3rd freeze in 3 days, that card died as well (the artifacting and the color issues wasn’t as bad as the previous card). I then sent that card in for replacement. For 2 weeks time at this point I ran my friend’s vid card, (9600 GT made by Chaintech) with zero problems.

Both of my replacement cards came on 8/11/2010. When I got my replacement cards, I also formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7 all at once. I put a fresh install of WoW on, but copied over my old WTF and interface folders. Right away I noticed that I was getting mini freezes/graphical lag (about 1-2 sec long) that occurred about once a day. Nothing big normally, but freaked me out for obvious reasons. On the 5th day I got a full freeze like described above. After this I disabled SLi and turned my graphics from ‘ultra’ to a notch below ultra (I also lowered the particle effects and the shadows even further.). I also ran a “WoW repair”, deleted the WTF folder and deleted a lot of add-ons just for good measure. I have logged about 6 hours of play time since then and have experienced 1 mini freeze/graphical lag. There is no way to know if the mini freezes and the actual freezes are related.

Most of the actual freezes happen when mounting on my flying mount.

WoW keeps freezing on me while playing and it is ruining my vid cards. Below is a detailed account of everything.

My Original Rig:

6gig RAM

Tagan-ITZ 800W PSU

In late April/early may, I started getting freezes while playing WoW. The screen would freeze; even the sound would freeze and be stuck making the last noise continually. Afterwards I have to turn the power off manually.

After a couple weeks of this (and about 4-5 freezes), the card died. I was getting a lot of artifacting/anomalies/muli-colored dotted patterns all over the screen in windows, any application and even the bios/ boot screens. Card was sent in for replacement.

For the next 6 weeks or so, I ran it with just the single card without issue. Then in early July, I started getting freezes again. After the 3rd freeze in 3 days, that card died as well (the artifacting and the color issues wasn’t as bad as the previous card). I then sent that card in for replacement. For 2 weeks time at this point I ran my friend’s vid card, (9600 GT made by Chaintech) with zero problems.

Both of my replacement cards came on 8/11/2010. When I got my replacement cards, I also formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7 all at once. I put a fresh install of WoW on, but copied over my old WTF and interface folders. Right away I noticed that I was getting mini freezes/graphical lag (about 1-2 sec long) that occurred about once a day. Nothing big normally, but freaked me out for obvious reasons. On the 5th day I got a full freeze like described above. After this I disabled SLi and turned my graphics from ‘ultra’ to a notch below ultra (I also lowered the particle effects and the shadows even further.). I also ran a “WoW repair”, deleted the WTF folder and deleted a lot of add-ons just for good measure. I have logged about 6 hours of play time since then and have experienced 1 mini freeze/graphical lag. There is no way to know if the mini freezes and the actual freezes are related.

Posted 08/17/2010 12:53 AM   

My Original Rig:
6gig RAM
Tagan-ITZ 800W PSU

My Original Rig:

6gig RAM

Tagan-ITZ 800W PSU

Posted 08/17/2010 12:53 AM   
Your question is perfectly valid but you posted it in the wrong spot. You may get a better response if you post it in the 9 series gpu section since your problem is gpu related and not game related. I suggest closing this thread (can be done at the bottom) and opening it there.

Before you do post it I suggest you check your gpu temps while in game under load with EVGA Precision to make sure all of this isn't heat related.

Trust me when I say that the game it's self isn't ruining your cards, something else is.
Your question is perfectly valid but you posted it in the wrong spot. You may get a better response if you post it in the 9 series gpu section since your problem is gpu related and not game related. I suggest closing this thread (can be done at the bottom) and opening it there.

Before you do post it I suggest you check your gpu temps while in game under load with EVGA Precision to make sure all of this isn't heat related.

Trust me when I say that the game it's self isn't ruining your cards, something else is.

Posted 08/17/2010 02:26 AM   

Posted 08/17/2010 02:26 AM   
Google and download EVGA Precision
This will allow you to turn up your GPU fan speed to help with heating and monitor the temp.

Google and download GPU-Z
This tool will also give temps and will allow for more details on you Graphics card.

I would be looking at the power supply hope its not faulty, maybe surges voltage problems.

Heat may be a issue also turn to GPU fan up with the above and watch the temps, as Rymes said.

Why are you thinking its WOW doing this?
Are other games fine?
When this started did you do any upgrades to your PC?

This will allow you to turn up your GPU fan speed to help with heating and monitor the temp.

This tool will also give temps and will allow for more details on you Graphics card.

I would be looking at the power supply hope its not faulty, maybe surges voltage problems.

Heat may be a issue also turn to GPU fan up with the above and watch the temps, as Rymes said.

Are other games fine?

Posted 08/17/2010 03:21 AM   

Are other games fine?

Are other games fine?

Posted 08/17/2010 03:21 AM   
thanks. i have been using PC Wizard for gpu temps, but i will try that.

new post is here

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177289"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177289[/url]

new post is here

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177289

Posted 08/17/2010 03:30 AM   

new post is here

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177289"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177289[/url]

new post is here

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177289

Posted 08/17/2010 03:30 AM   
Scroll To Top