Display Driver, stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
  1 / 5    
I've been getting flashes on my screen for over a week now. But it was only short, it lasted about 3 seconds then it went to normal. And I had no popups saying why..

A few days ago, My computer really messed up, flickering, all multicoloured, the screen was all messed up like static on a television but in colour.. you could just work out what was in the background.

I get this message on my popup.
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 185.93 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

So looking online, I updated my driver to the new one.. which is the "258.96" version.
Even the scan on the NVIDIA website, says its upto date.

This computer is over 3 years old now. It's only just started doing this, it mainly does it when i'm playing games.
But sometimes it doesn't fix itself and when I restart my computer, its still messed up like that and could stay like that for hours. Then all of a sudden its back to normal..

My computer details are:
Processor: Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00GB
System Type: 32-bit Windows 7 (Professional) Build 7600.
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N32-E SLI PLUS 1.XX
HDD: 1250.15 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
596.76 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Don't know what else I need to put..

Thanks in advance.
I've been getting flashes on my screen for over a week now. But it was only short, it lasted about 3 seconds then it went to normal. And I had no popups saying why..

A few days ago, My computer really messed up, flickering, all multicoloured, the screen was all messed up like static on a television but in colour.. you could just work out what was in the background.

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 185.93 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

So looking online, I updated my driver to the new one.. which is the "258.96" version.

This computer is over 3 years old now. It's only just started doing this, it mainly does it when i'm playing games.

But sometimes it doesn't fix itself and when I restart my computer, its still messed up like that and could stay like that for hours. Then all of a sudden its back to normal..

My computer details are:

Thanks in advance.

Posted 08/15/2010 09:28 PM   

My computer details are:

Thanks in advance.

My computer details are:

Thanks in advance.

Posted 08/15/2010 09:28 PM   
I too have been having this problem since the new driver 258.96. I have previously had a minor problem like this about a year ago with one of the drivers but that was subsequently resolved by the quick follow up of the next driver but I cant quite remember which one it was.

However, this time, I am experiencing the same problems as Matty-N. I have already opened up my PC to have a physical check and it all seems fine. But like Matty-N, despite rebooting many times, my PC can stay up to an hour or two with tearing and artifacts in what appears to be 32bit colours. This is extremely frustrating, and even if I do manage to get into a normal appearing boot login screen, it would return to the same problem within 5 minutes and freeze up. This eventually forces me to power off my PC.

I have already spent a lot of time looking around the forums, and it seems that this is a major issue with Windows 7 64 bit, surely there is a solution out there!

Thanks for your help in advance everyone!
I too have been having this problem since the new driver 258.96. I have previously had a minor problem like this about a year ago with one of the drivers but that was subsequently resolved by the quick follow up of the next driver but I cant quite remember which one it was.

However, this time, I am experiencing the same problems as Matty-N. I have already opened up my PC to have a physical check and it all seems fine. But like Matty-N, despite rebooting many times, my PC can stay up to an hour or two with tearing and artifacts in what appears to be 32bit colours. This is extremely frustrating, and even if I do manage to get into a normal appearing boot login screen, it would return to the same problem within 5 minutes and freeze up. This eventually forces me to power off my PC.

I have already spent a lot of time looking around the forums, and it seems that this is a major issue with Windows 7 64 bit, surely there is a solution out there!

Posted 08/15/2010 11:39 PM   

Posted 08/15/2010 11:39 PM   
sounds liek the graphics card is either overheating, not recieving enough power from the PSU or it is broken.

it isnt a "major issue with windows 7 64bit" its a major issue with your hardware.

I am running windows 7 64bit with two nvidia cards, no problems to report.

download GPU-Z and check your cards temperature.
sounds liek the graphics card is either overheating, not recieving enough power from the PSU or it is broken.

it isnt a "major issue with windows 7 64bit" its a major issue with your hardware.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 08/15/2010 11:56 PM   

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 08/15/2010 11:56 PM   
Yeah very correct, it must be your hardware coz am also using a windows 7 64bit with an nvidia cards with no issues at all.[img]http://www.picmall24.com/img/Bd/BN.gif[/img]
Yeah very correct, it must be your hardware coz am also using a windows 7 64bit with an nvidia cards with no issues at all.Image

Posted 08/16/2010 08:03 AM   
Yeah very correct, it must be your hardware coz am also using a windows 7 64bit with an nvidia cards with no issues at all.[img]http://www.picmall24.com/img/Bd/BN.gif[/img]
Yeah very correct, it must be your hardware coz am also using a windows 7 64bit with an nvidia cards with no issues at all.Image

Posted 08/16/2010 08:03 AM   
Well im on 32 bit, not 64.
I have 3 fans, and Im pretty sure it doesn't overheat. But I'll test it by using some software, like Memtest or GPU-Z. Ill try both.

I've not changed nothing to my hardware in 3 years since I bought the computer.
So that leads me to believe theres a problem like power shortage, or a driver issue, or something.

I dusted out all my PC, and now theres not 1 speck of dust.

I'll add a update after ive ran Memtest and GPU-Z.

I have 3 fans, and Im pretty sure it doesn't overheat. But I'll test it by using some software, like Memtest or GPU-Z. Ill try both.

So that leads me to believe theres a problem like power shortage, or a driver issue, or something.

Posted 08/16/2010 09:59 AM   

Posted 08/16/2010 09:59 AM   
you cant just guess if a component is overheating, you got to monitor it.

Posted 08/16/2010 10:07 AM   

Posted 08/16/2010 10:07 AM   
I downloaded PC PROBE from "http://www.techspot.com/downloads/265-asus-pc-probe.html" Which is published by ASUS who made my motherboard. An image is below.

[url="http://img413.imageshack.us/i/pcprobe.jpg/"][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9825/pcprobe.jpg[/img][/url]

I also did use GPU-Z and it shown me no information about temperature.
[url="http://img541.imageshack.us/i/sensorsu.jpg/"][img]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2526/sensorsu.jpg[/img][/url]

Does the voltage seem OK in the PC PROBE picture?
I downloaded PC PROBE from "http://www.techspot.com/downloads/265-asus-pc-probe.html" Which is published by ASUS who made my motherboard. An image is below.

Posted 08/16/2010 10:47 AM   

[url="http://img413.imageshack.us/i/pcprobe.jpg/"][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9825/pcprobe.jpg[/img][/url]

[url="http://img541.imageshack.us/i/sensorsu.jpg/"][img]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2526/sensorsu.jpg[/img][/url]

Posted 08/16/2010 10:47 AM   
I have the same problem
I have the same problem

Posted 08/16/2010 01:20 PM   
  1 / 5    
Scroll To Top