Physx Installation Terminated Issue with GTS250 1GB
  1 / 17    
Hi,

I have been having an issue with my Palit GTS 250 1GB whereby games (Fallout 3, Left for Dead as examples) constantly freeze up and I have to reboot my system. I have recently (yesterday) formatted the PC and installed windows XP home again (service pack 2 at present). I tried to install the latest drivers from the nvidia website (258.96 WHQL), however, after doing this my system froze at the windows loading screen and I had to boot in safe mode to remove the drivers.

I had some old drivers (195 or 196 I think) from before my format, which I loaded instead. Once these were installed I went into event viewer and noticed an error on the application tab stating 'nvidia Physx installation terminated.'

My question is has anyone come across this before/know how to resolve it. I don't know if this happened when I first installed the card and if it's been the cause of the problems I had originally.

Is Physx an essential part of the cards functionality and would it's absence account for the freezes I've been getting?

Also if anyone could suggest a resolution to the issue i'm having installing the latest drivers that would be great.

Cheers,

Dave.
Hi,

I have been having an issue with my Palit GTS 250 1GB whereby games (Fallout 3, Left for Dead as examples) constantly freeze up and I have to reboot my system. I have recently (yesterday) formatted the PC and installed windows XP home again (service pack 2 at present). I tried to install the latest drivers from the nvidia website (258.96 WHQL), however, after doing this my system froze at the windows loading screen and I had to boot in safe mode to remove the drivers.

I had some old drivers (195 or 196 I think) from before my format, which I loaded instead. Once these were installed I went into event viewer and noticed an error on the application tab stating 'nvidia Physx installation terminated.'

My question is has anyone come across this before/know how to resolve it. I don't know if this happened when I first installed the card and if it's been the cause of the problems I had originally.

Is Physx an essential part of the cards functionality and would it's absence account for the freezes I've been getting?

Also if anyone could suggest a resolution to the issue i'm having installing the latest drivers that would be great.

Cheers,

Dave.

Posted 08/11/2010 12:57 PM   
Hi,

Cheers,

Dave.
Hi,

Cheers,

Dave.

Posted 08/11/2010 12:57 PM   
Hi,

Just to update, my full system is as follows:

CPU - amd phenom x4 9650
RAM - 4GB Vitesta DDR2 800MHz Dual Kit
MOBO - Gigabyte - MA790X-UD4
HDD - Samsung 1TB HD103UJ
GFX - Palit GTS 250 1GB
PSU - OCZ600SXS (600W)

Cheers,

Dave.
Hi,

CPU - amd phenom x4 9650

GFX - Palit GTS 250 1GB

PSU - OCZ600SXS (600W)

Cheers,

Dave.

Posted 08/11/2010 07:08 PM   
Hi,

CPU - amd phenom x4 9650
GFX - Palit GTS 250 1GB
PSU - OCZ600SXS (600W)

Cheers,

Dave.
Hi,

CPU - amd phenom x4 9650

GFX - Palit GTS 250 1GB

PSU - OCZ600SXS (600W)

Cheers,

Dave.

Posted 08/11/2010 07:08 PM   
Start with a clean install and update to SP3 and all updated drivers.

If it still crashes it could be the card has crapped out.

Posted 08/11/2010 07:11 PM   

Posted 08/11/2010 07:11 PM   
If you are running a single GTS 250 you can't use Physx anyway, so no, you will never know it's missing.

1st I'd say update XP fully. Holding it back to SP2 could cause a lot of problems from missing patches.
2nd Try re-downloading the drivers, could be a bad download.
Make sure you run driver cleaner in Windows Safe Mode between driver installs.
Have you tried re-seating the card?
You may also want to run memtest86 for a few hours if you were having problems before. Google OCCT 3.1, it has a GPU test, and a GPU RAM test that can look for errors with your card's hardware.
If you are running a single GTS 250 you can't use Physx anyway, so no, you will never know it's missing.

1st I'd say update XP fully. Holding it back to SP2 could cause a lot of problems from missing patches.

You may also want to run memtest86 for a few hours if you were having problems before. Google OCCT 3.1, it has a GPU test, and a GPU RAM test that can look for errors with your card's hardware.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington 1982 to 2010

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

* MSI GTX 470 * EVGA GTX 470 * Antec 900

PM's for assistance/clarification are welcome.

Posted 08/11/2010 08:44 PM   

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

Posted 08/11/2010 08:44 PM   
I didn't know a single one couldn't use Physx, why is that?

I upgraded to SP3 last night, it was always my intention but I kept getting a 'file corrupt' error the other day after I formatted. I downloaded again last night and it worked fine.

I'll re-download the drivers and run driver sweeper in safe mode before installing the latest ones. I did try this before I had formatted and it made no difference, but can't hurt to give it another bash.

I don't know if this is normal either, but when I boot the fan for the GPU is really loud for about 10 seconds and then calms down before the logon screen for xp appears.

I'm also running the original MOBO drivers that came on the CD, is it worth updating these too?

I upgraded to SP3 last night, it was always my intention but I kept getting a 'file corrupt' error the other day after I formatted. I downloaded again last night and it worked fine.

I'll re-download the drivers and run driver sweeper in safe mode before installing the latest ones. I did try this before I had formatted and it made no difference, but can't hurt to give it another bash.

I don't know if this is normal either, but when I boot the fan for the GPU is really loud for about 10 seconds and then calms down before the logon screen for xp appears.

I'm also running the original MOBO drivers that came on the CD, is it worth updating these too?

Posted 08/12/2010 08:40 AM   

Posted 08/12/2010 08:40 AM   
NVidia released a new version of the [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.10.0513-driver.html"]PhysX System Software[/url] stand-alone just two days ago, try it first. If that doesn't work, try the installation method outlined in this thread:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=174190&view=findpost&p=1088622"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1088622[/url]
NVidia released a new version of the PhysX System Software stand-alone just two days ago, try it first. If that doesn't work, try the installation method outlined in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1088622

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 970 3-Way SLI | 12 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\) | 2x 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData) | 2x 240 GB Intel Dale Crest SSDs in SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games and Benchmarks\) | 60 GB G2 SSD (Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BE14NU20 USB ODD | LG 25UM56 21:9 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Razer Tiamat 7.1 Analog Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/12/2010 12:17 PM   
NVidia released a new version of the [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.10.0513-driver.html"]PhysX System Software[/url] stand-alone just two days ago, try it first. If that doesn't work, try the installation method outlined in this thread:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=174190&view=findpost&p=1088622"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1088622[/url]
NVidia released a new version of the PhysX System Software stand-alone just two days ago, try it first. If that doesn't work, try the installation method outlined in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1088622

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 970 3-Way SLI | 12 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\) | 2x 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData) | 2x 240 GB Intel Dale Crest SSDs in SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games and Benchmarks\) | 60 GB G2 SSD (Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BE14NU20 USB ODD | LG 25UM56 21:9 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Razer Tiamat 7.1 Analog Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/12/2010 12:17 PM   
[quote name='Dave_E30' post='1103038' date='Aug 12 2010, 04:40 AM']I didn't know a single one couldn't use Physx, why is that?

I'm also running the original MOBO drivers that came on the CD, is it worth updating these too?[/quote]
Is it worth updating them? Really? That's probably your entire problem. Download the newest motherboard drivers from Nvidia's site, then do a full driver sweep for all Nvidia drivers and reinstall. Always Use the Newest Drivers.
[quote name='Dave_E30' post='1103038' date='Aug 12 2010, 04:40 AM']I didn't know a single one couldn't use Physx, why is that?

Is it worth updating them? Really? That's probably your entire problem. Download the newest motherboard drivers from Nvidia's site, then do a full driver sweep for all Nvidia drivers and reinstall. Always Use the Newest Drivers.

Posted 08/12/2010 09:46 PM   

I'm also running the original MOBO drivers that came on the CD, is it worth updating these too?[/quote]

Posted 08/12/2010 09:46 PM   
Right, after a few days of testing another card in the machine to make sure it wasn't anything else, I have just tried mine again so that I could load new MOBO drivers and try downloading the latest ones for my card again (last time the 25xx ones didn't allow me to boot). I've reseated my card, booted the pc and now nothing....the GFX card fan goes ten-to-the-dozen and I hear a couple of beers and that's it, won't even display anything on the monitor.

The fan for the card used to get quite fast on booting previously, but only for a few seconds, then it would calm down and the xp screen would load. I also used to get a single beep (I think) before as well.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on now? Nothing has been changed on the system at all, I literally just spent a few days trialling the other card (also Nvidia, 256mb LE700 or something) to ensure nothing else was up with the system.

The PC has come from work with the other card in it, to my house where it was tested for a few days, and now i've put the original card back in again..

Any advice would be much appreciated, as this is becoming increasingly annoying after having had the setup a year and not finding any real resolution.
Right, after a few days of testing another card in the machine to make sure it wasn't anything else, I have just tried mine again so that I could load new MOBO drivers and try downloading the latest ones for my card again (last time the 25xx ones didn't allow me to boot). I've reseated my card, booted the pc and now nothing....the GFX card fan goes ten-to-the-dozen and I hear a couple of beers and that's it, won't even display anything on the monitor.

The fan for the card used to get quite fast on booting previously, but only for a few seconds, then it would calm down and the xp screen would load. I also used to get a single beep (I think) before as well.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on now? Nothing has been changed on the system at all, I literally just spent a few days trialling the other card (also Nvidia, 256mb LE700 or something) to ensure nothing else was up with the system.

The PC has come from work with the other card in it, to my house where it was tested for a few days, and now i've put the original card back in again..

Any advice would be much appreciated, as this is becoming increasingly annoying after having had the setup a year and not finding any real resolution.

Posted 08/16/2010 05:41 PM   
  1 / 17    
Scroll To Top