Alienware AW2310 Ghosting with 3d vision Ghosting in that monitor
  1 / 2    
Hello I have a Alienware conected with an NVIDIA 3800M and 3d Vision.

I see perfect 2d, but when I put 3d 3d vision I see problems in the screen. It starts at the 1/3 top of the screen and it get worst when it gets to the top edge. It´s a more and more strong ghosting. I mean I start to see little by little both eyes information in both eyes up to complete double image in the top of the screen. If I put the same video more small, I mean window mode in the center of the screen, there is not problems in the stereo, so I think it´s something with the screen, drivers or graphic card. It has a little ghosting problem in the bottom part of the screen too, but not so strong.

It´s this normal? Does anybody have that monitor? Do you have this problems?

Thank you

I see perfect 2d, but when I put 3d 3d vision I see problems in the screen. It starts at the 1/3 top of the screen and it get worst when it gets to the top edge. It´s a more and more strong ghosting. I mean I start to see little by little both eyes information in both eyes up to complete double image in the top of the screen. If I put the same video more small, I mean window mode in the center of the screen, there is not problems in the stereo, so I think it´s something with the screen, drivers or graphic card. It has a little ghosting problem in the bottom part of the screen too, but not so strong.

Thank you

Posted 08/07/2010 08:45 AM   

Thank you

Thank you

Posted 08/07/2010 08:45 AM   
If you have it connected by hdmi then yes, but if your one of the lucky few who have a DVI-D output on there laptop then no it should not look like that.. the alienware only works in 120hz/3D with DVI-D so your out of luck like me.. But it does work very well on a Mitsubishi 3dtv or anything that can use hdmi to output 3d. Sorry but i tried every thing to get it to work with a hdmi output from the laptop even converters.
If you have it connected by hdmi then yes, but if your one of the lucky few who have a DVI-D output on there laptop then no it should not look like that.. the alienware only works in 120hz/3D with DVI-D so your out of luck like me.. But it does work very well on a Mitsubishi 3dtv or anything that can use hdmi to output 3d. Sorry but i tried every thing to get it to work with a hdmi output from the laptop even converters.

Posted 08/08/2010 10:18 AM   

Posted 08/08/2010 10:18 AM   
It's a flaw with the technology. Read the long thread here: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=89261"]Ghosting Thread[/url]

I had this on my old Viewsonic 22" 3D-LCD and noticed it on the Acer 23" I was testing out and the same Alienware you have that I now own. IMHO, this is something that Nvidia needs to try and correct with the drivers as it is apparent in all LCD monitors at this time.
It's a flaw with the technology. Read the long thread here: Ghosting Thread

I had this on my old Viewsonic 22" 3D-LCD and noticed it on the Acer 23" I was testing out and the same Alienware you have that I now own. IMHO, this is something that Nvidia needs to try and correct with the drivers as it is apparent in all LCD monitors at this time.

Posted 08/08/2010 11:16 AM   
It's a flaw with the technology. Read the long thread here: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=89261"]Ghosting Thread[/url]

It's a flaw with the technology. Read the long thread here: Ghosting Thread

Posted 08/08/2010 11:16 AM   
its the monitor, if u try nvidia 3d on a 3d projector there is ZERO ghosting. It is the perfect 3d experience.
its the monitor, if u try nvidia 3d on a 3d projector there is ZERO ghosting. It is the perfect 3d experience.

Posted 08/08/2010 02:38 PM   

Posted 08/08/2010 02:38 PM   
deleted
deleted

CASE: Alienwareâ„¢ Area-51 ALX

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-980X 3.33GHz Six-Core 12MB

GPU: Dual 1.5GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 480 SLI

RAM: 12GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3

MB: Alienware™ Approved Intel® X58 ATX Motherboard

PSU: Alienwareâ„¢ 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

HDD: Samsung 512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB SSD)

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

DISPLAY: 4x Alienware OptXâ„¢ AW2310 23" 3D Full HD Widescreen

3D: NVIDIA® 3D Vision Surround™

Posted 08/08/2010 07:15 PM   
deleted
deleted

CASE: Alienwareâ„¢ Area-51 ALX

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-980X 3.33GHz Six-Core 12MB

GPU: Dual 1.5GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 480 SLI

RAM: 12GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3

MB: Alienware™ Approved Intel® X58 ATX Motherboard

PSU: Alienwareâ„¢ 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

HDD: Samsung 512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB SSD)

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

DISPLAY: 4x Alienware OptXâ„¢ AW2310 23" 3D Full HD Widescreen

3D: NVIDIA® 3D Vision Surround™

Posted 08/08/2010 07:15 PM   
OP, try reducing Contrast to 45 or lower in Gamer mode. It doesn't completely eliminate ghosting, but it greatly mitigates it. It will also eliminate any overdrive ghosting (burnt off-colors near the bottom of the screen with high separation). It won't be completely solved though until we get better LCD panels that refresh more uniformly or better glasses that block more light when shuttered off.

[quote name='Moggle69' post='1100956' date='Aug 8 2010, 03:15 PM']This review finds no ghosting on the Alienware AW2310

[url="http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Acer-Alienware,review-1506-6.html"]http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Ace...iew-1506-6.html[/url][/quote]
That portion is referring to traditional 2D ghosting which has long been eliminated or marginalized with fast response time TN panels to the point its no longer an issue. The ghosting the OP is referring to is very clearly 3D ghosting which is a different phenomena better described as stereo cross-talk where one eye is seeing a residual image meant for the other eye. This can be due to numerous issues but does share the same underlying problem, refresh/response times and timing issues.
OP, try reducing Contrast to 45 or lower in Gamer mode. It doesn't completely eliminate ghosting, but it greatly mitigates it. It will also eliminate any overdrive ghosting (burnt off-colors near the bottom of the screen with high separation). It won't be completely solved though until we get better LCD panels that refresh more uniformly or better glasses that block more light when shuttered off.

[quote name='Moggle69' post='1100956' date='Aug 8 2010, 03:15 PM']This review finds no ghosting on the Alienware AW2310

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Ace...iew-1506-6.html

That portion is referring to traditional 2D ghosting which has long been eliminated or marginalized with fast response time TN panels to the point its no longer an issue. The ghosting the OP is referring to is very clearly 3D ghosting which is a different phenomena better described as stereo cross-talk where one eye is seeing a residual image meant for the other eye. This can be due to numerous issues but does share the same underlying problem, refresh/response times and timing issues.

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 08/08/2010 07:47 PM   

[url="http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Acer-Alienware,review-1506-6.html"]http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Ace...iew-1506-6.html[/url][/quote]

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-Monitor-Ace...iew-1506-6.html

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0

Posted 08/08/2010 07:47 PM   
The connection I made was with DISPLAYPORT adapter to dual DVI:

[url="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521"]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=330-5521[/url]

I have tried that contrast solution and it´s not better at all. When I speak of ghosting it´s not something subtle but very clear double image, I mean complete double imae in both eyes in almost 1/3 of the top of the screen. It´s little by little getting stronger up to the top but it´s very clear.

Thank you

MY SCREEN:
---------------------------------------
- Complete Double image -
- -
- Double image starts up here -
- -
- Perfect stereo -
- -
- Again double image down here -
------
------
------
---------------------
-

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=330-5521

I have tried that contrast solution and it´s not better at all. When I speak of ghosting it´s not something subtle but very clear double image, I mean complete double imae in both eyes in almost 1/3 of the top of the screen. It´s little by little getting stronger up to the top but it´s very clear.

Thank you

MY SCREEN:

- -

- -

- Perfect stereo -

- -

------

------

------

---------------------

-

Posted 08/08/2010 08:50 PM   

[url="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=330-5521"]http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=330-5521[/url]

Thank you

MY SCREEN:
- -
- -
- Perfect stereo -
- -
------
------
------
---------------------
-

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=330-5521

Thank you

MY SCREEN:

- -

- -

- Perfect stereo -

- -

------

------

------

---------------------

-

Posted 08/08/2010 08:50 PM   
Can you post a screenshot of the exact image you're seeing? Just press Alt-F1 in the game at that scene, you will find the screenshot saved to: %:\Users\%username%\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.IMG

Then use the image attachment/upload feature here in these forums, navigate to there and upload the file. Those of us with the same monitor should be able to see exactly what you see and more accurately determine if what type of ghosting you're seeing and if its nominal or not. As others stated, there will always be some degree of top/bottom ghosting, especially at the top due to the way these LCDs refresh and light/dark will make it worst as its harder for these pixels to transition quickly enough.
Can you post a screenshot of the exact image you're seeing? Just press Alt-F1 in the game at that scene, you will find the screenshot saved to: %:\Users\%username%\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.IMG

Then use the image attachment/upload feature here in these forums, navigate to there and upload the file. Those of us with the same monitor should be able to see exactly what you see and more accurately determine if what type of ghosting you're seeing and if its nominal or not. As others stated, there will always be some degree of top/bottom ghosting, especially at the top due to the way these LCDs refresh and light/dark will make it worst as its harder for these pixels to transition quickly enough.

Posted 08/08/2010 09:40 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top