258.96 Drivers causing SLI to act weird
Hi everyone,

I got a weird issue. I just formatted my pc and installed win 7 ultimate x64 again. At that time I had 2x gtx 260 in SLI, installed 258.96 drivers and then started playing starcraft 2, and the graphics were bizarre, like it was displayed in 256 colors or something.

Then i got my new evga cards, 2 x gtx 460 1GB SC. I installed them and the problem is still there. I installed Crysis just to check, and the same problem there too.

If I disable SLI from the control panel, then the problem is gone, and I can play normally. One thing I found out is, when in SLI mode, in full screen the graphics are crap, but if I change to windowed mode Alt+Enter, then the problem is gone.

Anyone having a similar problem with those drivers in SLI? Is there any other driver version that I can try, which supports gtx 460?

Thanks,
Hi everyone,

I got a weird issue. I just formatted my pc and installed win 7 ultimate x64 again. At that time I had 2x gtx 260 in SLI, installed 258.96 drivers and then started playing starcraft 2, and the graphics were bizarre, like it was displayed in 256 colors or something.

Then i got my new evga cards, 2 x gtx 460 1GB SC. I installed them and the problem is still there. I installed Crysis just to check, and the same problem there too.

If I disable SLI from the control panel, then the problem is gone, and I can play normally. One thing I found out is, when in SLI mode, in full screen the graphics are crap, but if I change to windowed mode Alt+Enter, then the problem is gone.

Anyone having a similar problem with those drivers in SLI? Is there any other driver version that I can try, which supports gtx 460?

Thanks,

Posted 08/02/2010 11:57 PM   
Try downloading the latest DirectX redistributable from Mircosoft. If your DirectX installation is botched, you can have all sorts of strange problems in 3D applications.
Try downloading the latest DirectX redistributable from Mircosoft. If your DirectX installation is botched, you can have all sorts of strange problems in 3D applications.

Posted 08/03/2010 03:21 AM   
[quote name='Sray' post='1098040' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:21 PM']Try downloading the latest DirectX redistributable from Mircosoft. If your DirectX installation is botched, you can have all sorts of strange problems in 3D applications.[/quote]

I updated DirectX to the latest version and still the same issue, and as I mentioned before, the games work perfectly when SLI is disabled from control panel, so I assume this is a driver issue.
[quote name='Sray' post='1098040' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:21 PM']Try downloading the latest DirectX redistributable from Mircosoft. If your DirectX installation is botched, you can have all sorts of strange problems in 3D applications.

I updated DirectX to the latest version and still the same issue, and as I mentioned before, the games work perfectly when SLI is disabled from control panel, so I assume this is a driver issue.

Posted 08/03/2010 03:25 AM   
[quote name='Basques' post='1098043' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:25 PM']I updated DirectX to the latest version and still the same issue, and as I mentioned before, the games work perfectly when SLI is disabled from control panel, so I assume this is a driver issue.[/quote]

Did you completely uninstall your driver prior to installing your new GTX460's? If so, did you use a driver sweeper app following uninstallation?

It is certainly never a good idea to to change your GPU subsystem hardware but NOT start fresh with a clean install of the latest forceware drivers. This is ESPECIALLY true when jumping from one archirecture to a completely new one, such as you have done by going from GT200 to Fermi based cards.

My gut feeling is that you had a corrupted set of drivers while using the 260's and the issue is again showing itself even with the new hardware.

So complete uninstall of Forecware drivers, Physx and any other GPU related Nvidia driver you may have, botice I said " GPU " related, if you have an Nvidia based chipset, do NOT uninstall these.

After uninstall, get " Driver Sweeper" @ Guru3d.com, run it and upon reboot, reinstall the latest forceware drivers.

~Nutz
[quote name='Basques' post='1098043' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:25 PM']I updated DirectX to the latest version and still the same issue, and as I mentioned before, the games work perfectly when SLI is disabled from control panel, so I assume this is a driver issue.

Did you completely uninstall your driver prior to installing your new GTX460's? If so, did you use a driver sweeper app following uninstallation?

It is certainly never a good idea to to change your GPU subsystem hardware but NOT start fresh with a clean install of the latest forceware drivers. This is ESPECIALLY true when jumping from one archirecture to a completely new one, such as you have done by going from GT200 to Fermi based cards.

My gut feeling is that you had a corrupted set of drivers while using the 260's and the issue is again showing itself even with the new hardware.

So complete uninstall of Forecware drivers, Physx and any other GPU related Nvidia driver you may have, botice I said " GPU " related, if you have an Nvidia based chipset, do NOT uninstall these.

After uninstall, get " Driver Sweeper" @ Guru3d.com, run it and upon reboot, reinstall the latest forceware drivers.

~Nutz

EVGA Classified - e760

Intel i7 980x @ 3.8Ghz

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

Corsair Dominator GT - 12GB @ 2000Mhz

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

3x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked in TriSLI

Clocks: ©800Mhz - (S)1598Mhz - (M)4053Mhz {E}

2x 150GB WD RaptorX in Raid 0

2x 1TB WD Black in Raid 0

2x Samsung DVD Burners

PC P&C T12W 1200w PSU

MPlay202+ System Control/Display

Custom Cooler Master Stacker 830

Vidikron Vision 150 DLP Projector 120"- 1080P

Samsung LN52B750 52" LCD HDTV

2x LG L227WG 22" LCDs

3D Vision - Driver ver. 1.23

Posted 08/03/2010 05:16 AM   
[quote name='ImNutz4NvSLI' post='1098086' date='Aug 3 2010, 03:16 PM']Did you completely uninstall your driver prior to installing your new GTX460's? If so, did you use a driver sweeper app following uninstallation?

~Nutz[/quote]

As it is written on my first post, what I did was to format my pc and install windows 7 64 bit ultra, and install 258.96 drivers while I still had my 2 x gtx 260 in SLI mode. That's when I had this weird problem. Then I replaced the video cards the next day with 2 x gtx 460, clleaned the drivers, reinstalled them, and found out that I have the exactly same problem as before.

So as a timeline:
- Format and clean install of Win 7 x64 Ultra
- Install 258.96 drivers
- 2 x gtx 260 : SLI show the mentioned problem
- Remove gtx 260 and put 2 x gtx 460 in
- Same proble,
- Clean the drivers, try 258.64 (or something like that dont remember which one), same problem
- Clean the drivers install 258.96 again, same problem

If I disable SLI on control panel, everything works perfect, if I hit Alt + Enter to switch to Windowed mode, everything works perfect.

I don't think it is an hardware issue as I used the same system with 2xgtx 260 for 1.5 years, and never had a problem with previous drivers. It all started after installing 258.96.
[quote name='ImNutz4NvSLI' post='1098086' date='Aug 3 2010, 03:16 PM']Did you completely uninstall your driver prior to installing your new GTX460's? If so, did you use a driver sweeper app following uninstallation?

~Nutz

As it is written on my first post, what I did was to format my pc and install windows 7 64 bit ultra, and install 258.96 drivers while I still had my 2 x gtx 260 in SLI mode. That's when I had this weird problem. Then I replaced the video cards the next day with 2 x gtx 460, clleaned the drivers, reinstalled them, and found out that I have the exactly same problem as before.

So as a timeline:

- Format and clean install of Win 7 x64 Ultra

- Install 258.96 drivers

- 2 x gtx 260 : SLI show the mentioned problem

- Remove gtx 260 and put 2 x gtx 460 in

- Same proble,

- Clean the drivers, try 258.64 (or something like that dont remember which one), same problem

- Clean the drivers install 258.96 again, same problem

If I disable SLI on control panel, everything works perfect, if I hit Alt + Enter to switch to Windowed mode, everything works perfect.

I don't think it is an hardware issue as I used the same system with 2xgtx 260 for 1.5 years, and never had a problem with previous drivers. It all started after installing 258.96.

Posted 08/03/2010 05:25 AM   
Try installing the New developer drivers, Forceware 259.09 from [url="http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html"]nVidia here.[/url]
For some reason SLI is broken for most users on Forceware 258 drivers :(
John
Try installing the New developer drivers, Forceware 259.09 from nVidia here.

For some reason SLI is broken for most users on Forceware 258 drivers :(

John

MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning XE , Factory Overclocked 832Mhz Core, 1664Mhz Shader and 4200Mhz Memory

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650

ASUS Rampage Extreme X48 Motherboard

8GB of DDR3 @ 1333Mhz CL8

NEC 24WMGX3

Windows 7 x64 with Service Pack 1

Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty

Posted 08/03/2010 10:17 PM   
Thanks for all the replies guys. Dell replaced my motherboard a few weeks ago because of some issue, I think the new board has a faulty 3rd PCI Express slot, because I put in my gtx 260 back and rolled back to 190.xx drivers and SLI was still broken, so I will ask for a replacement.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Dell replaced my motherboard a few weeks ago because of some issue, I think the new board has a faulty 3rd PCI Express slot, because I put in my gtx 260 back and rolled back to 190.xx drivers and SLI was still broken, so I will ask for a replacement.

Posted 08/03/2010 11:08 PM   
Check if you updated the Realtek Drivers recently, they caused issues for me with SLi, if they have just roll them back in Device Manager.
Check if you updated the Realtek Drivers recently, they caused issues for me with SLi, if they have just roll them back in Device Manager.

Posted 08/05/2010 05:59 PM   
I have been having a similar issue with the 258.96 drivers as well...In SLI my games won't work correctly, i get a lot of jitter and artifacting...thinking it was just starcraft2 i tried modern warfare 2 and sure enough had the same problem. I think it's just a problem with these new generation drivers, looks like they're a little buggy. My friend experienced also experienced this problem and he said he rolled back to the 190 series drivers and the problem stopped. I will try that again when i get the time and post back with my findings.
I have been having a similar issue with the 258.96 drivers as well...In SLI my games won't work correctly, i get a lot of jitter and artifacting...thinking it was just starcraft2 i tried modern warfare 2 and sure enough had the same problem. I think it's just a problem with these new generation drivers, looks like they're a little buggy. My friend experienced also experienced this problem and he said he rolled back to the 190 series drivers and the problem stopped. I will try that again when i get the time and post back with my findings.

Posted 08/07/2010 12:55 PM   

Posted 08/07/2010 12:55 PM   
Got the same issue with 258.96 on a pair of 9800 GTs in SLI at 1680x1050 (native). Windowed fullscreen is not a problem but a bit slower... Any help would be appreciated...

Processor Intel® Core(tm) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz 7.6
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.6
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 6.8
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 6.8
Primary hard disk 18GB Free (56GB Total) 6.9
Windows 7 Ultimate
Got the same issue with 258.96 on a pair of 9800 GTs in SLI at 1680x1050 (native). Windowed fullscreen is not a problem but a bit slower... Any help would be appreciated...

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.6

Windows 7 Ultimate

Posted 08/09/2010 03:34 AM   

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.6
Windows 7 Ultimate

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.6

Windows 7 Ultimate

Posted 08/09/2010 03:34 AM   
Scroll To Top