HDMI sound & my GeForce GTX 275 No sound to the TV
  1 / 2    
Hello, I've tried to search for a resolution with no luck so I hope you can help. I recently bought a new TV, the Murphy HD Ready Digital LCD TV (with USB Record) Model Number: TV32UK30D. I have the GeForce GTX 275 and have now for 2 days been trying to enable the sound to the new TV. The Video is fine, it's just the sound. I cant even see it in my Sound options:

[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/FlappersMkipp/eec25b9d.jpg[/img]

Allthough I'm not sure what the USB item is, as I have no USB sound device plugged in, just headphones (mic built in) plugged directly into the Sound Card. The TV guide tells me the HDMI is up to 1080i, thats enough ye ?

Please help & thanks for taking the time,

Kind regards, Sam.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SAMLAYCOCK-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model P5K SE/EPU
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core(tm)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0501, 20/10/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name SamLaycock-PC\Sam Laycock
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.27 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.46 GB
Page File Space 3.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hello, I've tried to search for a resolution with no luck so I hope you can help. I recently bought a new TV, the Murphy HD Ready Digital LCD TV (with USB Record) Model Number: TV32UK30D. I have the GeForce GTX 275 and have now for 2 days been trying to enable the sound to the new TV. The Video is fine, it's just the sound. I cant even see it in my Sound options:

Allthough I'm not sure what the USB item is, as I have no USB sound device plugged in, just headphones (mic built in) plugged directly into the Sound Card. The TV guide tells me the HDMI is up to 1080i, thats enough ye ?

Please help & thanks for taking the time,

Kind regards, Sam.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SAMLAYCOCK-PC

System Manufacturer System manufacturer

System Model P5K SE/EPU

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core(tm)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0501, 20/10/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

User Name SamLaycock-PC\Sam Laycock

Time Zone GMT Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.27 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.50 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.46 GB

Page File Space 3.25 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Posted 07/30/2010 02:59 PM   
Not to be rude, but, why a 32-bit OS? lol

First off, do you have the cable hooked from the motherboard (or your sound card) to the GTX275? If so, you may want to hook it up to the other one. You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I have a feeling that the USB sound device is some how your HDMI sound. Lemme know what happens. :)
Not to be rude, but, why a 32-bit OS? lol

First off, do you have the cable hooked from the motherboard (or your sound card) to the GTX275? If so, you may want to hook it up to the other one. You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I have a feeling that the USB sound device is some how your HDMI sound. Lemme know what happens. :)

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington 1982 to 2010

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

* MSI GTX 470 * EVGA GTX 470 * Antec 900

PM's for assistance/clarification are welcome.

Posted 08/02/2010 04:57 AM   
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1097541' date='Aug 2 2010, 05:57 AM']Not to be rude, but, why a 32-bit OS? lol

First off, do you have the cable hooked from the motherboard (or your sound card) to the GTX275? If so, you may want to hook it up to the other one. You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I have a feeling that the USB sound device is some how your HDMI sound. Lemme know what happens. :)[/quote]

I'm fairly new to it all, if 64bit would give better results, sign me up, but, no clue how to go about it /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> Someone else built the PC. I'm guessing I'm going to need to start fiddling about with the insides of the PC ? Can you walk me though it please, sorry to be a pain :unsure:
[quote name='billy66bare' post='1097541' date='Aug 2 2010, 05:57 AM']Not to be rude, but, why a 32-bit OS? lol

I'm fairly new to it all, if 64bit would give better results, sign me up, but, no clue how to go about it /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> Someone else built the PC. I'm guessing I'm going to need to start fiddling about with the insides of the PC ? Can you walk me though it please, sorry to be a pain :unsure:

Posted 08/02/2010 09:50 AM   
Well, that won't be the cause of your problem.

Billy is right. The older GTX200 cards do not support pass-through of audio directly from the bus. You need to connect the audio pass-through cable from the SPDIF output on your sound card to the input on the graphics card (probably next to the power sockets).
Well, that won't be the cause of your problem.

Billy is right. The older GTX200 cards do not support pass-through of audio directly from the bus. You need to connect the audio pass-through cable from the SPDIF output on your sound card to the input on the graphics card (probably next to the power sockets).

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 08/02/2010 11:25 AM   
64-bit can show a significant performance gain in programs that are written in 64-bit. The [b]big[/b] gain is it allows your system to use more than 4Gb of RAM.

A 32-bit version of Windows can only read 4Gb's of RAM. So, if you have 4 Gb's installed, you only get about 3.5Gb's that Windows can use for games and programs. So, if you add in a video card with 1Gb of VRAM, now you only have 2.5Gb's of memory for your system to use.
A 64-bit version of Windows can access more RAM than is generally available on earth at any given time. (may be a [i]slight[/i] exaggeration /shifty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shifty:' /> ) Allowing you to have all 4 Gb's of system RAM and your VRAM. Not to mention the benefits of increased performance in games that are programed in 64-bit.

To hook up your audio, you should look at the manuals for your GPU and your Motherboard. The GPU should have come with a small cable (2 wires). If you look at the instruction manual for it, you'll see where to plug that cable in and how, same for the motherboard. Nothing overly complex. lol

From looking at the picture, it looks like the connection on the card is right next to the power connectors. So if you open up your case (turn off and unplug your computer first!!!) , you'll see your card with 2 thick cables hanging off of it. You may be able to reach around and plug it in. If you have to pull the card, just make sure you push the little lever on the front of the slot on the motherboard first (you'll see it). Then just look at your motherboard manual (or post what motherboard you have or PC make and model) and see where to plug in the other end.

You may need to uninstall and reinstall your drivers real quick for Windows to discover it. So if it doesn't find it at first try that.
64-bit can show a significant performance gain in programs that are written in 64-bit. The big gain is it allows your system to use more than 4Gb of RAM.

A 32-bit version of Windows can only read 4Gb's of RAM. So, if you have 4 Gb's installed, you only get about 3.5Gb's that Windows can use for games and programs. So, if you add in a video card with 1Gb of VRAM, now you only have 2.5Gb's of memory for your system to use.

A 64-bit version of Windows can access more RAM than is generally available on earth at any given time. (may be a slight exaggeration /shifty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shifty:' /> ) Allowing you to have all 4 Gb's of system RAM and your VRAM. Not to mention the benefits of increased performance in games that are programed in 64-bit.

To hook up your audio, you should look at the manuals for your GPU and your Motherboard. The GPU should have come with a small cable (2 wires). If you look at the instruction manual for it, you'll see where to plug that cable in and how, same for the motherboard. Nothing overly complex. lol

From looking at the picture, it looks like the connection on the card is right next to the power connectors. So if you open up your case (turn off and unplug your computer first!!!) , you'll see your card with 2 thick cables hanging off of it. You may be able to reach around and plug it in. If you have to pull the card, just make sure you push the little lever on the front of the slot on the motherboard first (you'll see it). Then just look at your motherboard manual (or post what motherboard you have or PC make and model) and see where to plug in the other end.

You may need to uninstall and reinstall your drivers real quick for Windows to discover it. So if it doesn't find it at first try that.

Consider joining the NVIDIA USER 2 USER Forums folding team! Even letting your GPU fold 1 unit a day while you check your email and surf could be a big help. It's easy to setup, and runs in the background while your GPU isn't in use. Click here for assistance!

AMD 970 @ 4.0 * XSPC Rasa * NF980-G65 * Mushkin Blackline 1600 * 2x WD 250GB RAID 0 * Corsair 950TX

Posted 08/02/2010 08:19 PM   
The SPDIF header on the motherboard can be in a real stupid place, too. On mine, it's right under one of the cards and you have bend the pins to get the clearance required. Slipped up there, Gigabyte. Fortunately, I don't need it any more as my new 470s pass audio straight off the bus.
The SPDIF header on the motherboard can be in a real stupid place, too. On mine, it's right under one of the cards and you have bend the pins to get the clearance required. Slipped up there, Gigabyte. Fortunately, I don't need it any more as my new 470s pass audio straight off the bus.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 08/03/2010 10:49 AM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1098219' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:49 AM']The SPDIF header on the motherboard can be in a real stupid place, too. On mine, it's right under one of the cards and you have bend the pins to get the clearance required. Slipped up there, Gigabyte. Fortunately, I don't need it any more as my new 470s pass audio straight off the bus.[/quote]

Thanks for the input all, I looked & looked for any loose wires / spare cables and reinstalled drivers. Even took it into my local PC store today to have an old guy just take the panel off, remove the sound card, (after I'd explained it was a connector to the Motherbord) shuffle into a back room, return & tell me he didn't have the connectors for it ... followed by a fifteen minuet explanation of pre 1st world war computer technology, I held back the tears & made a hasty retreat to the exit, waving & nodding accordingly. /facepalm ... So, seems I must take it back once there's more than a skeleton weekend staff on, I know a guy there that really knows his potatoes, was on a day off. Once its resolved, I'll post & let you know where the issue lay. Again, thanks for taking the time.

Kind regards. Sam. :)
[quote name='Discordia' post='1098219' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:49 AM']The SPDIF header on the motherboard can be in a real stupid place, too. On mine, it's right under one of the cards and you have bend the pins to get the clearance required. Slipped up there, Gigabyte. Fortunately, I don't need it any more as my new 470s pass audio straight off the bus.

Thanks for the input all, I looked & looked for any loose wires / spare cables and reinstalled drivers. Even took it into my local PC store today to have an old guy just take the panel off, remove the sound card, (after I'd explained it was a connector to the Motherbord) shuffle into a back room, return & tell me he didn't have the connectors for it ... followed by a fifteen minuet explanation of pre 1st world war computer technology, I held back the tears & made a hasty retreat to the exit, waving & nodding accordingly. /facepalm ... So, seems I must take it back once there's more than a skeleton weekend staff on, I know a guy there that really knows his potatoes, was on a day off. Once its resolved, I'll post & let you know where the issue lay. Again, thanks for taking the time.

Posted 08/07/2010 03:25 PM   
[quote name='Discordia' post='1098219' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:49 AM']The SPDIF header on the motherboard can be in a real stupid place, too. On mine, it's right under one of the cards and you have bend the pins to get the clearance required. Slipped up there, Gigabyte. Fortunately, I don't need it any more as my new 470s pass audio straight off the bus.[/quote]

[quote name='Discordia' post='1098219' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:49 AM']The SPDIF header on the motherboard can be in a real stupid place, too. On mine, it's right under one of the cards and you have bend the pins to get the clearance required. Slipped up there, Gigabyte. Fortunately, I don't need it any more as my new 470s pass audio straight off the bus.

Posted 08/07/2010 03:25 PM   
This is probably what your board looks like.
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/p5kwhole.png[/img]

Do you see the 4 pins that say SPDIF_OUT at about the middle of this picture?
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/closeupP5K.png[/img]

That's where you will connect it on the motherboard.

This is the cable you need. It has 4 connectors on one side, and 2 connectors on the other side.
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/spdifcable.png[/img]
This is where you should plug it into the card. No, not into the power connectors, into that little whole beside them.
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/spdifoncard.png[/img]

It's not hard to do, assuming who ever built the computer gave you the cable for it.

This is the cable you need. It has 4 connectors on one side, and 2 connectors on the other side.

This is where you should plug it into the card. No, not into the power connectors, into that little whole beside them.

It's not hard to do, assuming who ever built the computer gave you the cable for it.

Posted 08/07/2010 07:19 PM   
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/p5kwhole.png[/img]

[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/closeupP5K.png[/img]

[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/spdifcable.png[/img]
[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/billy66bare/Pics%20to%20help%20people/spdifoncard.png[/img]

Posted 08/07/2010 07:19 PM   
Hello again, just returned from the computer shop. I didn't have a cable supplied in the box with the card, but he had a 2 pin to 2 pin, see here:

[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/FlappersMkipp/4a1134fb.jpg[/img]

Now I have these options in my sound manager. But still, sadly, no sound /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/FlappersMkipp/ffdee310.jpg[/img]
Hello again, just returned from the computer shop. I didn't have a cable supplied in the box with the card, but he had a 2 pin to 2 pin, see here:

Now I have these options in my sound manager. But still, sadly, no sound /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Posted 08/09/2010 01:58 PM   

[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/FlappersMkipp/4a1134fb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/FlappersMkipp/ffdee310.jpg[/img]

Posted 08/09/2010 01:58 PM   
Can anyone offer anymore assistance please, this *should* work now but it still wont give me sound, bar a bit of a crackle, I guess that's an improvement on nothing :mellow:
Can anyone offer anymore assistance please, this *should* work now but it still wont give me sound, bar a bit of a crackle, I guess that's an improvement on nothing :mellow:

Posted 08/11/2010 12:07 AM   

Posted 08/11/2010 12:07 AM   
[quote name='Flappers' post='1102234' date='Aug 10 2010, 08:07 PM']Can anyone offer anymore assistance please, this *should* work now but it still wont give me sound, bar a bit of a crackle, I guess that's an improvement on nothing :mellow:[/quote]

I honestly can't believe they gave you that cable. This is not a speaker, plugging it in wrong could have done damage.
You have 2 separate pins, so switch them on the motherboard. Hopefully you had it right the first time, as switching the pins could have damaged something. If that won't clear it up follow these steps:
download the newest drivers for both from Nvidia (even the motherboard drivers.) and driver cleaner
Uninstall all your Nvidia drivers in the control panel (even your motherboard drivers if you want to really rule drivers out)
reboot into safe mode and run driver cleaner for all Nvidia drivers (it's self explanatory)
reboot into windows and install your motherboard drivers then your Video drivers, one at a time, meaning reboot once you install the motherboard drivers.
As for your USB sound device, right click on it and hit remove if you want to get rid of it.
Also, if you are using a DVI to HDMI adapter, you may want to try another one. Could be a bad adapter.
[quote name='Flappers' post='1102234' date='Aug 10 2010, 08:07 PM']Can anyone offer anymore assistance please, this *should* work now but it still wont give me sound, bar a bit of a crackle, I guess that's an improvement on nothing :mellow:

I honestly can't believe they gave you that cable. This is not a speaker, plugging it in wrong could have done damage.

You have 2 separate pins, so switch them on the motherboard. Hopefully you had it right the first time, as switching the pins could have damaged something. If that won't clear it up follow these steps:

download the newest drivers for both from Nvidia (even the motherboard drivers.) and driver cleaner

Uninstall all your Nvidia drivers in the control panel (even your motherboard drivers if you want to really rule drivers out)

reboot into safe mode and run driver cleaner for all Nvidia drivers (it's self explanatory)

reboot into windows and install your motherboard drivers then your Video drivers, one at a time, meaning reboot once you install the motherboard drivers.

As for your USB sound device, right click on it and hit remove if you want to get rid of it.

Also, if you are using a DVI to HDMI adapter, you may want to try another one. Could be a bad adapter.

Posted 08/11/2010 12:38 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top