GTX 480 WinXP Driver Issue
Hello,

I recently brought the GeForce GTX 480 and am very happy with what it can produce.

Sadly however, I have run into a problem.

When I go to update the graphics driver*, it seems to not work very well. Not well to the point where the screen resolution is minimized to a pitiful 640 x 480 and the color quality is a mere 4 bit. And unchangeable.

Updating from the default CD installation version number 197.03 (which works fine) to either versions 257.21 (current stable release) or 258.96 (current BETA release), it causes this problem.

Not sure what others will see from this image, but to me, it's a 4 bit image of the perfectly installed GTX 480 driver (257.21). Or so it seems.
[url="http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8343/41973929.png"]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8343/41973929.png[/url]

If you can, please help. This is depressing, to say the least.

*Installed by running the installation executable the first time. Rolled back to original driver then tried to install by updating in device manager. Attempted with both new driver releases.

Thanks

Edit: I'm running Windows XP Professional 32 bit. I have a theme on Windows, so that's why it looks different.
Hello,

I recently brought the GeForce GTX 480 and am very happy with what it can produce.

Sadly however, I have run into a problem.

When I go to update the graphics driver*, it seems to not work very well. Not well to the point where the screen resolution is minimized to a pitiful 640 x 480 and the color quality is a mere 4 bit. And unchangeable.

Updating from the default CD installation version number 197.03 (which works fine) to either versions 257.21 (current stable release) or 258.96 (current BETA release), it causes this problem.

Not sure what others will see from this image, but to me, it's a 4 bit image of the perfectly installed GTX 480 driver (257.21). Or so it seems.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8343/41973929.png

If you can, please help. This is depressing, to say the least.

*Installed by running the installation executable the first time. Rolled back to original driver then tried to install by updating in device manager. Attempted with both new driver releases.

Thanks

Edit: I'm running Windows XP Professional 32 bit. I have a theme on Windows, so that's why it looks different.

Posted 07/17/2010 02:21 PM   
firstly ypu have probably heard this before but i shall say it anyway. your operating system is seriously limiting the potential of your card, you have a brand new graphics card running on an operating system that is a decade old. in real life terms you have put racing wheels on a steam roller.

the gtx 480 is designed to be great at direct x 11 games, while still performing well in directx 10 and also supporting directx 9. windows xp doesnt support directx 11, it doesnt support direct x 10 either, just directx 9. also as you are running 32bit you can only usea little over 2gig of your main system RAM because your graphics card has a gig and a half.

i strongly advise you to look into pivking up windows 7, you wont regret it as its faster then xp, more secure, and the 64bit version allows you to have as much system RAM as you like

now that thats over, have you tried running driver sweeper and removing ALL nvidia files and then starting fresh with the new current stable release? dont let windows install a driver for you, unplug your internet connection while you do this so it wont download a driver for you, it can mess things up...
firstly ypu have probably heard this before but i shall say it anyway. your operating system is seriously limiting the potential of your card, you have a brand new graphics card running on an operating system that is a decade old. in real life terms you have put racing wheels on a steam roller.

the gtx 480 is designed to be great at direct x 11 games, while still performing well in directx 10 and also supporting directx 9. windows xp doesnt support directx 11, it doesnt support direct x 10 either, just directx 9. also as you are running 32bit you can only usea little over 2gig of your main system RAM because your graphics card has a gig and a half.

i strongly advise you to look into pivking up windows 7, you wont regret it as its faster then xp, more secure, and the 64bit version allows you to have as much system RAM as you like

now that thats over, have you tried running driver sweeper and removing ALL nvidia files and then starting fresh with the new current stable release? dont let windows install a driver for you, unplug your internet connection while you do this so it wont download a driver for you, it can mess things up...

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 07/17/2010 02:55 PM   
Thanks for the comments. I'm a computer technician and fully understand how Windows XP + 32 bit bottlenecks my possibilities. I will be upgrading to Windows 7 in the next week or so, but am building up the (surprisingly) hard to find drivers I require for my other hardware.

I will try what you recommended with driver sweeper and report back promptly.
Thanks for the comments. I'm a computer technician and fully understand how Windows XP + 32 bit bottlenecks my possibilities. I will be upgrading to Windows 7 in the next week or so, but am building up the (surprisingly) hard to find drivers I require for my other hardware.

I will try what you recommended with driver sweeper and report back promptly.

Posted 07/18/2010 09:11 AM   
no problems, sorry if i seemed condescending!

there should be no issues with xp drivers, is it possible that you had a previous card running quite old drivers prior to putting the gtx 480 in? old drivers hanging around can cause a number of issues and the installer doesnt remove old files in some cases.

good luck.
no problems, sorry if i seemed condescending!

there should be no issues with xp drivers, is it possible that you had a previous card running quite old drivers prior to putting the gtx 480 in? old drivers hanging around can cause a number of issues and the installer doesnt remove old files in some cases.

good luck.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 07/18/2010 10:42 AM   
You were right. Works perfectly now.

Driver Sweeper was the perfect program for it.

Thank you, Qazax.
You were right. Works perfectly now.

Driver Sweeper was the perfect program for it.

Thank you, Qazax.

Posted 07/19/2010 12:57 AM   
no worries mate, enjoy your new card!
no worries mate, enjoy your new card!

Posted 07/19/2010 11:32 AM   
Scroll To Top