Please test NVIDIA Surround fix in newest 258.96 display driver which should address some monitors g
  1 / 4    
Today, we released a new Geforce display driver and 3D Vision driver version 258.96. This driver should address the issue where after enabling NVIDIA Surround or entering a game, one or two of the screens go blank. We were not able to verify all cases as we do not have the monitors in house for every single reported configuration so I would like to ask everyone who had these issues to try the newest driver and let me know if this has been fixed for you:

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d-vision-winvista-win7-cd-1.33-driver.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d-vi....33-driver.html[/url]

Ideally you should have two monitors connected to the first GPU and the third monitor connected to the primary DVI port of your secondary graphics card. If the monitor still blanks out, please report the attached monitors, connected configuration and if possible, a screenshot of the NVIDIA Control Panel which shows your NVIDIA Surround configuration.
Today, we released a new Geforce display driver and 3D Vision driver version 258.96. This driver should address the issue where after enabling NVIDIA Surround or entering a game, one or two of the screens go blank. We were not able to verify all cases as we do not have the monitors in house for every single reported configuration so I would like to ask everyone who had these issues to try the newest driver and let me know if this has been fixed for you:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d-vi....33-driver.html

Ideally you should have two monitors connected to the first GPU and the third monitor connected to the primary DVI port of your secondary graphics card. If the monitor still blanks out, please report the attached monitors, connected configuration and if possible, a screenshot of the NVIDIA Control Panel which shows your NVIDIA Surround configuration.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 07/12/2010 09:09 PM   
Could you clarify which is the "primary" DVI port on most cards in relation to the motherboard side of the card? I always assumed the primary DVI port was the one closest to the motherboard when the card is plugged in, is this correct?
Could you clarify which is the "primary" DVI port on most cards in relation to the motherboard side of the card? I always assumed the primary DVI port was the one closest to the motherboard when the card is plugged in, is this correct?

Posted 07/14/2010 06:17 AM   
Even with these new drivers, I am still having issues. First off, not all of the monitors are on, usually one, but sometimes two, are blank and not receiving any input. On top of that, when surround is running, there is massive amounts of freezing, I can only move the mouse for half a second or so at a time, and from watching the second hand on the Windows clock on the desktop, I can see the entire system is freezing. On top of THAT, the mouse cursor doesn't show up on the rightmost monitor (maybe the center one as well, but it is blank, so I cannot tell.) I can use the mouse across all monitors, but it only shows up on the leftmost one.

Here's a screen capture of the surround configuration menu:
[img]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m475/FuzzyDicePimp/Untitled2.png[/img]

As you can see, I am running three (very) different monitors on a pair of 470 GTXs.

Also, all three monitors are connected via VGA cables connected to the cards via DVI adapters and running at 1024x768 60hz.

I am just using this setup to try out surround gaming because I already have everything required, but plan on upgrading to two more 24" monitors if everything works as it should.

EDIT: Well, I tried again with the monitors in a different layout, and how the monitor the center screen is still blank even though it is a different monitor. This time around, however, there is no freezing or anything, performance is all back to normal and the mouse cursor is visible everywhere (though the center monitor remains blank...)

EDIT2: I tried to correct the layout of the monitors and it went right back to the previous problem. No go for now anyway.

EDIT3: (Yep, edit #3) Well I got it working! I had to do the custom resolution workaround to set each one to 1024x768 at 60.001 hz, I guess Windows 7 was setting one (or more) of them to 59.994 hz without telling me about it...
Even with these new drivers, I am still having issues. First off, not all of the monitors are on, usually one, but sometimes two, are blank and not receiving any input. On top of that, when surround is running, there is massive amounts of freezing, I can only move the mouse for half a second or so at a time, and from watching the second hand on the Windows clock on the desktop, I can see the entire system is freezing. On top of THAT, the mouse cursor doesn't show up on the rightmost monitor (maybe the center one as well, but it is blank, so I cannot tell.) I can use the mouse across all monitors, but it only shows up on the leftmost one.

Here's a screen capture of the surround configuration menu:

As you can see, I am running three (very) different monitors on a pair of 470 GTXs.

Also, all three monitors are connected via VGA cables connected to the cards via DVI adapters and running at 1024x768 60hz.

I am just using this setup to try out surround gaming because I already have everything required, but plan on upgrading to two more 24" monitors if everything works as it should.

EDIT: Well, I tried again with the monitors in a different layout, and how the monitor the center screen is still blank even though it is a different monitor. This time around, however, there is no freezing or anything, performance is all back to normal and the mouse cursor is visible everywhere (though the center monitor remains blank...)

EDIT2: I tried to correct the layout of the monitors and it went right back to the previous problem. No go for now anyway.

EDIT3: (Yep, edit #3) Well I got it working! I had to do the custom resolution workaround to set each one to 1024x768 at 60.001 hz, I guess Windows 7 was setting one (or more) of them to 59.994 hz without telling me about it...

Posted 07/14/2010 06:25 PM   
Yeah still one black screen no matter what i do..
Yeah still one black screen no matter what i do..

Posted 07/15/2010 11:46 PM   
I've got 3 acer projectors and im experiencing problems aswelll. Every time i enter the surround wizard and apply the settings it switches to different invalid resolutions on the pj's(like 1280x1024@29,95 hz) and then all screens stay black. I have to reboot my pc, the resoution is then set to 5xxx x 1080 while i had it configured on 3840x720 before entering the wizard. Now i'm unable to adjust the screenplacement. My pj's are connected through dvi. And i use the latest vision 3d driver.

I guess the vision setup needs to remember the previous resolution and keep it the same.
I've got 3 acer projectors and im experiencing problems aswelll. Every time i enter the surround wizard and apply the settings it switches to different invalid resolutions on the pj's(like 1280x1024@29,95 hz) and then all screens stay black. I have to reboot my pc, the resoution is then set to 5xxx x 1080 while i had it configured on 3840x720 before entering the wizard. Now i'm unable to adjust the screenplacement. My pj's are connected through dvi. And i use the latest vision 3d driver.

I guess the vision setup needs to remember the previous resolution and keep it the same.

Posted 07/16/2010 07:27 AM   
FAIL.

Ouch, uninstalled old drivers, Driver Sweeper'd out all Nvidia items, installed 258.96 drivers, rebooted, all three monitors say "Out of frequency range". I can get one or two monitors working, but as soon as I plug in the third monitor, "Out of frequency range".

Tried connecting bottom card first, etc, every combination. Once I connect third monitor "Out of frequency range"...

I have 3 DVI monitors, a Gateway 22" center monitor, and 2 Westinghouse 22" sides...worked with 258.69 very well, but I was tempted by the 10% improvement others have claimed...

Running a system restore right now as I type this and hoping I get my working surround back...crossing fingers and toes...

...System Restore is rebooting now...wonder if I will have to reinstall 258.69 and set it all up again...or...

...Applying update operation 40 of 40 to registry...(hey that's new)...

...Huh?...rebooting again...

...AHHHHH Cr@p! I have a triplewide looking screen on the center monitor...

...Doh! Forgot to reconnect my other two monitors...

...Whew! Looks like I am back in business with 258.69...

Moral of the story, don't fix it if it ain't broke! And make sure you have a good System Restore point.
FAIL.

Ouch, uninstalled old drivers, Driver Sweeper'd out all Nvidia items, installed 258.96 drivers, rebooted, all three monitors say "Out of frequency range". I can get one or two monitors working, but as soon as I plug in the third monitor, "Out of frequency range".

Tried connecting bottom card first, etc, every combination. Once I connect third monitor "Out of frequency range"...

I have 3 DVI monitors, a Gateway 22" center monitor, and 2 Westinghouse 22" sides...worked with 258.69 very well, but I was tempted by the 10% improvement others have claimed...

Running a system restore right now as I type this and hoping I get my working surround back...crossing fingers and toes...

...System Restore is rebooting now...wonder if I will have to reinstall 258.69 and set it all up again...or...

...Applying update operation 40 of 40 to registry...(hey that's new)...

...Huh?...rebooting again...

...AHHHHH Cr@p! I have a triplewide looking screen on the center monitor...

...Doh! Forgot to reconnect my other two monitors...

...Whew! Looks like I am back in business with 258.69...

Moral of the story, don't fix it if it ain't broke! And make sure you have a good System Restore point.

Core i7 930 OC'd @ 4 Ghz | H50 | Nvidia GTX 780 3GB 2D Surround | Asus P6X58D

12Gb Corsair Dominator @ 1600 | Win7 x64 | 3x22" @ 5040x1050

Posted 07/16/2010 07:15 PM   
ALLRIGHT ! Well :D Dear Nvidia and everybody else who's had to listen to my whining, I'd just like
to formally apologize. I know I can be a pain in the ass but have been waiting for months and months
to use my 3 Samsung 3d displays in Surround. Happy to report finally got it working today. :D

Went out and bought 2 GTX 470's to replace the 260's and blamo ! 5040x1050 out of the box..
Tried the Nvidia test logo.. working good, so stoked to finally have this going !! Cheers !
ALLRIGHT ! Well :D Dear Nvidia and everybody else who's had to listen to my whining, I'd just like

to formally apologize. I know I can be a pain in the ass but have been waiting for months and months

to use my 3 Samsung 3d displays in Surround. Happy to report finally got it working today. :D

Went out and bought 2 GTX 470's to replace the 260's and blamo ! 5040x1050 out of the box..

Tried the Nvidia test logo.. working good, so stoked to finally have this going !! Cheers !

Posted 07/16/2010 07:51 PM   
Hi ManuelG,

Yesterday I put my new rig together, I had been having the black-screen issue when running 2D surround from a single GTX295. The problem was always with the monitor running from the HDMI connection.

I am now running Quad SLI 295's - and it's very easy to set up Nvidia 2D Surround at an awesome resolution of 7680 x 1440. I'm using three DELL u2711 monitors to achieve this resolution. It seems the 3 x DVI is much better than relying on a HDMI for the third monitor.

You may notice that I have been game-testing Quad SLI Surround (in another post), and can also confirm that it is buggy with some games. Left for Dead, Dragon Age, Wings of Prey, Far Cry 2, etc all work very well in 2D surround. I'm noticing bugs with BFBC2 and Just Cause 2. BFBC2 is very jittery, like rendered frames are all out of whack. It's unplayable. Just Cause 2 crashes to desktop.

I know you have advised me not to use the Quad SLI Surround (yet); but I figure I will just play the games that work while I await your next driver release package.

Do you have any titles you'd like me to test, or is there any data that I could send to you that would help (benchmarks etc)?
Hi ManuelG,

Yesterday I put my new rig together, I had been having the black-screen issue when running 2D surround from a single GTX295. The problem was always with the monitor running from the HDMI connection.

I am now running Quad SLI 295's - and it's very easy to set up Nvidia 2D Surround at an awesome resolution of 7680 x 1440. I'm using three DELL u2711 monitors to achieve this resolution. It seems the 3 x DVI is much better than relying on a HDMI for the third monitor.

You may notice that I have been game-testing Quad SLI Surround (in another post), and can also confirm that it is buggy with some games. Left for Dead, Dragon Age, Wings of Prey, Far Cry 2, etc all work very well in 2D surround. I'm noticing bugs with BFBC2 and Just Cause 2. BFBC2 is very jittery, like rendered frames are all out of whack. It's unplayable. Just Cause 2 crashes to desktop.

I know you have advised me not to use the Quad SLI Surround (yet); but I figure I will just play the games that work while I await your next driver release package.

Do you have any titles you'd like me to test, or is there any data that I could send to you that would help (benchmarks etc)?

Posted 07/18/2010 12:45 AM   
[quote name='ManuelG' post='1086948' date='Jul 12 2010, 10:09 PM']Today, we released a new Geforce display driver and 3D Vision driver version 258.96. This driver should address the issue where after enabling NVIDIA Surround or entering a game, one or two of the screens go blank. We were not able to verify all cases as we do not have the monitors in house for every single reported configuration so I would like to ask everyone who had these issues to try the newest driver and let me know if this has been fixed for you:

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d-vision-winvista-win7-cd-1.33-driver.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d-vi....33-driver.html[/url]

Ideally you should have two monitors connected to the first GPU and the third monitor connected to the primary DVI port of your secondary graphics card. If the monitor still blanks out, please report the attached monitors, connected configuration and if possible, a screenshot of the NVIDIA Control Panel which shows your NVIDIA Surround configuration.[/quote]

2 ASUS GTX 260.... 3 Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW with DVI... only 2 screens ON when surround is activated.
When surround is off, the 3 screen work perfectly at 1680*1050. I have tried everything (change resolution or synchronisation frequency, plug/unplug screen...), problem is still the same, the screen connected to the second card (the one with only one screen) is ever blinking (Screen is black and the led is blinking... I supposed he doesn't detect any signal because during my tests with frequency I was able to get a message about invalid signal).

Hope you will find a way to solve this strange issue.

Crono.
[quote name='ManuelG' post='1086948' date='Jul 12 2010, 10:09 PM']Today, we released a new Geforce display driver and 3D Vision driver version 258.96. This driver should address the issue where after enabling NVIDIA Surround or entering a game, one or two of the screens go blank. We were not able to verify all cases as we do not have the monitors in house for every single reported configuration so I would like to ask everyone who had these issues to try the newest driver and let me know if this has been fixed for you:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d-vi....33-driver.html

2 ASUS GTX 260.... 3 Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW with DVI... only 2 screens ON when surround is activated.

When surround is off, the 3 screen work perfectly at 1680*1050. I have tried everything (change resolution or synchronisation frequency, plug/unplug screen...), problem is still the same, the screen connected to the second card (the one with only one screen) is ever blinking (Screen is black and the led is blinking... I supposed he doesn't detect any signal because during my tests with frequency I was able to get a message about invalid signal).

Hope you will find a way to solve this strange issue.

Crono.

Posted 07/28/2010 03:04 PM   
Awesome to see that nvidia has not made 2xx series Sli setups redundant and having surround support for those that have these compatable setups

YAY no TH2G anymore

[img]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/pursuit80/Ntune6.jpg[/img]

this screen print shows me that it does work though i cannot see more than two of my three screens (all three are LG Flatron W2242T-BF 1680x1050 @ 60 hz connected by Dvi) one seems to go to sleep always on the card with only one monitor connected did try changing connection around too
I have a Zotac 790i Ultra /Supreme mobo and 2 Zotac GTX 280 AMP editions though have same overclock but different bios versions 62.00.1c.00.02 / 62.00.0e.00.01 if that helps

Alright maybe ill have to use TH2G a little longer
had Win7 x64 258.96 running with my TH2G Digital no probs at 5040x1050 59hz has been good since setup vista or Win7 and found a link to this new ability of this available driver

[url="http://hardocp.com/article/2010/07/08/nvidia_gtx_280_sli_3d_surround_experience"]http://hardocp.com/article/2010/07/08/nvid...ound_experience[/url]

thought cool will give it a go then doh many hours of driver cleaning and reinstalling no fix so I'm gonna give back some feedback

after clean installing Win7 x64 with no improvement I tried x86 doh no better so i can say
doesn't work in my case in either x64 or x86 on either 258.69 or 258.96 drivers but can see that the desktop size is implemented
tried both Generic PnP Monitor driver and LG W2242(Digital) driver on all Three updated in device manager

[img]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/pursuit80/Ntune4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/pursuit80/Ntune5.jpg[/img]

I do hope a fix will be found as I have been lead to believe it is working for some but not all

Two is better than one
Three would be greater than two lol
Awesome to see that nvidia has not made 2xx series Sli setups redundant and having surround support for those that have these compatable setups

YAY no TH2G anymore

this screen print shows me that it does work though i cannot see more than two of my three screens (all three are LG Flatron W2242T-BF 1680x1050 @ 60 hz connected by Dvi) one seems to go to sleep always on the card with only one monitor connected did try changing connection around too

I have a Zotac 790i Ultra /Supreme mobo and 2 Zotac GTX 280 AMP editions though have same overclock but different bios versions 62.00.1c.00.02 / 62.00.0e.00.01 if that helps

Alright maybe ill have to use TH2G a little longer

had Win7 x64 258.96 running with my TH2G Digital no probs at 5040x1050 59hz has been good since setup vista or Win7 and found a link to this new ability of this available driver

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/07/08/nvid...ound_experience

thought cool will give it a go then doh many hours of driver cleaning and reinstalling no fix so I'm gonna give back some feedback

after clean installing Win7 x64 with no improvement I tried x86 doh no better so i can say

doesn't work in my case in either x64 or x86 on either 258.69 or 258.96 drivers but can see that the desktop size is implemented

tried both Generic PnP Monitor driver and LG W2242(Digital) driver on all Three updated in device manager

I do hope a fix will be found as I have been lead to believe it is working for some but not all

Two is better than one

Three would be greater than two lol

Posted 08/01/2010 04:05 AM   
Ok up and running at 4440x900 @59Hz on my 2 GTX280's has bezel fix calculated in too
is this a Directx 10 limitation, have had same trouble above 4MP with TH2G also have to force DX9 in all games at 5040

looking a bit crummy as the res don't fill my screens properly but now seeing the final outcome defenetly keeping my fingers crossed for future driver releases
for anyone else with a blanking monitor in Sli try a modest resolution (3840x1024) as mine fail to run all 3 22" LG's properly at 5040x1050
will still be prolly using TH2G for the moment though
Ok up and running at 4440x900 @59Hz on my 2 GTX280's has bezel fix calculated in too

is this a Directx 10 limitation, have had same trouble above 4MP with TH2G also have to force DX9 in all games at 5040

looking a bit crummy as the res don't fill my screens properly but now seeing the final outcome defenetly keeping my fingers crossed for future driver releases

for anyone else with a blanking monitor in Sli try a modest resolution (3840x1024) as mine fail to run all 3 22" LG's properly at 5040x1050

will still be prolly using TH2G for the moment though

Posted 08/02/2010 10:37 AM   
Wow I got it to go finaly
remembering the trouble in purchacing my monitors to clock 57Hz for TH2G I created 1680x1050 @56Hz custom resolutions on each monitor in NVCP then applied each
run the surround wizard and one monitor may blank assuming they already clock 56 / 57Hz
open win7 screen resolution

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution

go to "advanced settings"
then click "list all modes"
look for your 5xxx x1050 @56 /57Hz resolution
choose and apply

I'm currently at 5170 x 150 @56Hz on my GTX280 Sli setup

to fix window maximizing across all three monitors try Matrox Power Desk as it divides the desktop

"v64_gxm-tha_2_07_00_031_whql" is a good version to start on

thanks for hearing my ups and downs and thanks Nvidia to extend the life of the 2xx series products
Wow I got it to go finaly

remembering the trouble in purchacing my monitors to clock 57Hz for TH2G I created 1680x1050 @56Hz custom resolutions on each monitor in NVCP then applied each

run the surround wizard and one monitor may blank assuming they already clock 56 / 57Hz

open win7 screen resolution

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution

choose and apply

I'm currently at 5170 x 150 @56Hz on my GTX280 Sli setup

to fix window maximizing across all three monitors try Matrox Power Desk as it divides the desktop

"v64_gxm-tha_2_07_00_031_whql" is a good version to start on

thanks for hearing my ups and downs and thanks Nvidia to extend the life of the 2xx series products

Posted 08/03/2010 10:06 AM   
[quote name='pursuit_80' post='1098196' date='Aug 3 2010, 06:06 AM']Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution

choose and apply[/quote]

I will try the above next driver release as I was unable to get 258.96 to work at all in Surround (currently running 258.69 stable)

I have been tweaking the he!! out of my Surround desktop as it is too cumbersome to switch from Surround to Separate Mode all the time, just figured out how to make Animated Triplewide Wallpapers (Fraps + Enable DreamScene in Win7), follow the link in my sig if you are interested...
[quote name='pursuit_80' post='1098196' date='Aug 3 2010, 06:06 AM']Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution

choose and apply

I will try the above next driver release as I was unable to get 258.96 to work at all in Surround (currently running 258.69 stable)

I have been tweaking the he!! out of my Surround desktop as it is too cumbersome to switch from Surround to Separate Mode all the time, just figured out how to make Animated Triplewide Wallpapers (Fraps + Enable DreamScene in Win7), follow the link in my sig if you are interested...

Core i7 930 OC'd @ 4 Ghz | H50 | Nvidia GTX 780 3GB 2D Surround | Asus P6X58D

12Gb Corsair Dominator @ 1600 | Win7 x64 | 3x22" @ 5040x1050

Posted 08/03/2010 04:15 PM   
Hello,

I just built my first SLI system on Friday and am joining the forums today because I have this very issue.

I am using 2 Galaxy GTX 470s, 2 Hanns G HH281 connected via DVI>HMDI and 1 Dell 24 LCD (forget the model) connected with DVI cable.

Each has a native resolution of 1920X1200 but every time I enable Surround whichever monitor is on the secondary 470 gets "signal out of range" error.

Is there a resolution for this? Is the problem using HDMI connectors or even mixing HDMI and DVI?

I have ordered a Hanns G HZ281 to try and replace the Dell with another DVI>HDMI monitor since the Nvidia control center shows the output in Surround is HDMI.

I am hoping it is something simple I am missing since I am new to the sli surround world and appreciate any insight you may have. I will update this post after I get home and can do a print of the control panel.

Thanks,
Surly
Hello,

I just built my first SLI system on Friday and am joining the forums today because I have this very issue.

I am using 2 Galaxy GTX 470s, 2 Hanns G HH281 connected via DVI>HMDI and 1 Dell 24 LCD (forget the model) connected with DVI cable.

Each has a native resolution of 1920X1200 but every time I enable Surround whichever monitor is on the secondary 470 gets "signal out of range" error.

Is there a resolution for this? Is the problem using HDMI connectors or even mixing HDMI and DVI?

I have ordered a Hanns G HZ281 to try and replace the Dell with another DVI>HDMI monitor since the Nvidia control center shows the output in Surround is HDMI.

I am hoping it is something simple I am missing since I am new to the sli surround world and appreciate any insight you may have. I will update this post after I get home and can do a print of the control panel.

Thanks,

Surly

Posted 08/24/2010 04:54 PM   
Hello,

Thanks,
Surly
Hello,

Thanks,

Surly

Posted 08/24/2010 04:54 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top