Difference between AA - AF - QCSAA - CSAA - MSAA - ?
As the title says:

1) What is the difference between all those settings?

2) What changed since AA en AF was the only thing that matters :)

3) Which is the best setting? I think it's QCSAA

4) Are there even more settings? (These are only to find in my 2 games installed on my PC)

5) Are there more options if you have SLi than if you do not have SLi?

Now I know what AA and AF means (like the good old days) and I know the number stands for the level of it. But what about AA becomes MSAA or CSAA or QCSAA?

And is higher better when playing games @ 1920x1200? (I prefer my min fps as high as possible above image quality)
As the title says:

4) Are there even more settings? (These are only to find in my 2 games installed on my PC)

Now I know what AA and AF means (like the good old days) and I know the number stands for the level of it. But what about AA becomes MSAA or CSAA or QCSAA?

And is higher better when playing games @ 1920x1200? (I prefer my min fps as high as possible above image quality)

Posted 06/29/2010 09:54 AM   
As the title says:

As the title says:

Posted 06/29/2010 09:54 AM   
So many views and no reply... I'm amazed no one told you to google it, lol.

Anyway, this is what I understand.

MSAA is your basic multisampling, nothing special but does the job.

CSAA is supposed to produce effects that rival higher levels of MSAA but with a minimal performance hit... use it over MSAA if given the option. I believe it's Nvidia only.

QCSAA I assume is a higher quality CSAA... but your likely to take a nice perfomance hit in the process.

Without researching it deeper myself, I think that covers the basics.

Vas.
So many views and no reply... I'm amazed no one told you to google it, lol.

Anyway, this is what I understand.

MSAA is your basic multisampling, nothing special but does the job.

CSAA is supposed to produce effects that rival higher levels of MSAA but with a minimal performance hit... use it over MSAA if given the option. I believe it's Nvidia only.

QCSAA I assume is a higher quality CSAA... but your likely to take a nice perfomance hit in the process.

Without researching it deeper myself, I think that covers the basics.

Vas.

Posted 08/05/2010 03:01 AM   
MLAA is comparable to 16x MSAA without the perfomance hit , google for that ;)

[quote]CSAA is supposed to produce effects that rival higher levels of MSAA but with a minimal performance hit... use it over MSAA if given the option. I believe it's Nvidia only.[/quote]

16x CSAA is comparable to 4x MSAA. Its worthless imho.
MLAA is comparable to 16x MSAA without the perfomance hit , google for that ;)

16x CSAA is comparable to 4x MSAA. Its worthless imho.

Posted 08/05/2010 04:41 AM   
This is an interesting personal crusade you've chosen to champion. Beginning with MLAA, barely a year out of research and essentially a software technique yet expected to be a widespread hardware implementation already. Then moving on to plasma and dlp like everyone has both the funds and the space to prefer either over LCD...
This is an interesting personal crusade you've chosen to champion. Beginning with MLAA, barely a year out of research and essentially a software technique yet expected to be a widespread hardware implementation already. Then moving on to plasma and dlp like everyone has both the funds and the space to prefer either over LCD...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/05/2010 11:06 AM   
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1099352' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:06 PM']This is an interesting personal crusade you've chosen to champion. Beginning with MLAA, barely a year out of research and essentially a software technique yet expected to be a widespread hardware implementation already. Then moving on to plasma and dlp like everyone has both the funds and the space to prefer either over LCD...[/quote]

mlaa is commonplace on ps3 , because the CELL spe can do it, the x360 has only crappy MSAA. Advanced GPU hw can do it too.

Hd ready was always good enough , unless you insist picking the wrong technology , with bad fill factor spec /shifty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shifty:' />
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1099352' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:06 PM']This is an interesting personal crusade you've chosen to champion. Beginning with MLAA, barely a year out of research and essentially a software technique yet expected to be a widespread hardware implementation already. Then moving on to plasma and dlp like everyone has both the funds and the space to prefer either over LCD...

mlaa is commonplace on ps3 , because the CELL spe can do it, the x360 has only crappy MSAA. Advanced GPU hw can do it too.

Hd ready was always good enough , unless you insist picking the wrong technology , with bad fill factor spec /shifty.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shifty:' />

Posted 08/05/2010 02:31 PM   
Define "commonplace"...
Define "commonplace"...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/05/2010 04:22 PM   
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1099472' date='Aug 5 2010, 05:22 PM']Define "commonplace"...[/quote]

[url="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=utilise+mlaa+ps3"]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=utilise+mlaa+ps3[/url]
[quote name='jaafaman' post='1099472' date='Aug 5 2010, 05:22 PM']Define "commonplace"...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=utilise+mlaa+ps3

Posted 08/05/2010 04:42 PM   
Sorry, that doesn't cut it. You broached the topic, used the word, and the only discussion I've found is based on a single comparison between XBox and PS3 on a single release.

And it IS your "crusade". Aren't you willing to support your stance, or just liking the chance to snipe with training ammo?...
Sorry, that doesn't cut it. You broached the topic, used the word, and the only discussion I've found is based on a single comparison between XBox and PS3 on a single release.

And it IS your "crusade". Aren't you willing to support your stance, or just liking the chance to snipe with training ammo?...

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 08/06/2010 11:00 AM   
Scroll To Top