gts 250 problems gts 250 crashes computer
There was a thread in the forum legacy under hardware, but i decided to move it here to get some assistance.
I have the same card, well XFX GTS 250 1GB, and after playing some games such as All Points Bulletin, Bad Company 2, and a few others, recently, the screen has just turned black and the audio loops back in a loud error noise overriding itself. and the fans get loud, the only way to fix it is to turn off the computer and turn it back on. I've been monitoring my temperatures of my processor and my video card, the processor is always 38-52C and the video card is always 45-75C. From what I have read thats normal for my processor(AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHZ Black Edition) and video card. I do not believe it is an overheating problem so I am asking for some assistance on what it may be. I have unistalled and reinstalled all my drivers and the problems still exist. I have read some forums saying that for some reason using high AA settings in games will do such things, so I have turned them down and it has not yet happened again, but I am curious to why that crashes the card. I have also learned that anyone with a GTS 250 has had problems with the card crashing playing APB. I would just like some help on getting my card to no longer crash out on me when I play games when it seems to be having an overheating crash when its not overheating.

When the screen goes black and the audio has the error sounds looping back overitself, while my computers fans speed up, the mobo makes error code beeps indicating there is no video card detected, assuming that the card shuts off.
There was a thread in the forum legacy under hardware, but i decided to move it here to get some assistance.

I have the same card, well XFX GTS 250 1GB, and after playing some games such as All Points Bulletin, Bad Company 2, and a few others, recently, the screen has just turned black and the audio loops back in a loud error noise overriding itself. and the fans get loud, the only way to fix it is to turn off the computer and turn it back on. I've been monitoring my temperatures of my processor and my video card, the processor is always 38-52C and the video card is always 45-75C. From what I have read thats normal for my processor(AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHZ Black Edition) and video card. I do not believe it is an overheating problem so I am asking for some assistance on what it may be. I have unistalled and reinstalled all my drivers and the problems still exist. I have read some forums saying that for some reason using high AA settings in games will do such things, so I have turned them down and it has not yet happened again, but I am curious to why that crashes the card. I have also learned that anyone with a GTS 250 has had problems with the card crashing playing APB. I would just like some help on getting my card to no longer crash out on me when I play games when it seems to be having an overheating crash when its not overheating.

When the screen goes black and the audio has the error sounds looping back overitself, while my computers fans speed up, the mobo makes error code beeps indicating there is no video card detected, assuming that the card shuts off.

Posted 06/26/2010 08:59 AM   
Have you tried gpu-z to see if it will detect more temp sensor's on your card than the main gpu temp?
You might also point a fan at the end of the card to test.

Once i run into a similar issue with an 8800 series card where the gpu temp was normal but another component on the card was overheating.
Have you tried gpu-z to see if it will detect more temp sensor's on your card than the main gpu temp?

You might also point a fan at the end of the card to test.

Once i run into a similar issue with an 8800 series card where the gpu temp was normal but another component on the card was overheating.

Posted 06/26/2010 02:43 PM   
i just downloaded the gpu-z and there does not seem to be another temp sensor on the card shown
i just downloaded the gpu-z and there does not seem to be another temp sensor on the card shown

Posted 06/26/2010 06:41 PM   
[quote name='brodyboo' post='1078474' date='Jun 26 2010, 01:41 PM']i just downloaded the gpu-z and there does not seem to be another temp sensor on the card shown[/quote]

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you are. The card works fine 99% of the time, but there are a few games where the whole thing just crashes and burns, like Mass Effect 2. This only fails after a while, but the temperatures it reaches are normal operating temperatures (My latest crash occurred at 72C)

Windows 7 tries to recover the hardware, but fails, and reboots the computer. It creates a couple of crash dumps, but I have no idea of who they'd be of interest to.
[quote name='brodyboo' post='1078474' date='Jun 26 2010, 01:41 PM']i just downloaded the gpu-z and there does not seem to be another temp sensor on the card shown

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you are. The card works fine 99% of the time, but there are a few games where the whole thing just crashes and burns, like Mass Effect 2. This only fails after a while, but the temperatures it reaches are normal operating temperatures (My latest crash occurred at 72C)

Windows 7 tries to recover the hardware, but fails, and reboots the computer. It creates a couple of crash dumps, but I have no idea of who they'd be of interest to.

Posted 06/27/2010 03:29 AM   
you can always start a thread with Microsoft windows 7 forum support and post the dumps there for a microsoft tech to analyze and tell you what to do or at least give you info on
what could be the problem

something could be unstable check other equipment/drivers in your system

PSU,RAM, MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS,BIOS
you can always start a thread with Microsoft windows 7 forum support and post the dumps there for a microsoft tech to analyze and tell you what to do or at least give you info on

what could be the problem

something could be unstable check other equipment/drivers in your system

PSU,RAM, MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS,BIOS

ImageImage

Join the NVidia Forum Team - Please Help Medical Research - Folding@home

Posted 06/27/2010 03:41 AM   
Scroll To Top