9600 GT Overheating Issue Solved!
A few months back my 9600 GT started overheating (75C) during gameplay my monitor would go black and I had no other option other than rebooting. So I removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste (arctic silver) and cleaned up the card and that reduced my temps to around (50C) in December? Now it is summer and my temps went back up today while playing CSS my temps hit about 80C. I had the fan speed at 100% in precision and I could feel the fan was working fine. So I decided to pull the card out again however this time I had another idea. PNY put this plastic housing over the video card for all I can tell it was for show. But when I removed it I could of sworn I found my missing cat? The heatsink was completely packed with crap. So I cleaned it up and reinstalled the card without the plastic housing. And now my temps are running about (40C) however it is 90F outside and 89F inside. During gameplay I maxed out at (55C). I have no idea if anyone else posted this but for those of you out there dealing with overheating issues with the older nvidia card this most likely is the most overlooked cause of overheating? Below is a pic of what my card looked like and the cover that I removed.
A few months back my 9600 GT started overheating (75C) during gameplay my monitor would go black and I had no other option other than rebooting. So I removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste (arctic silver) and cleaned up the card and that reduced my temps to around (50C) in December? Now it is summer and my temps went back up today while playing CSS my temps hit about 80C. I had the fan speed at 100% in precision and I could feel the fan was working fine. So I decided to pull the card out again however this time I had another idea. PNY put this plastic housing over the video card for all I can tell it was for show. But when I removed it I could of sworn I found my missing cat? The heatsink was completely packed with crap. So I cleaned it up and reinstalled the card without the plastic housing. And now my temps are running about (40C) however it is 90F outside and 89F inside. During gameplay I maxed out at (55C). I have no idea if anyone else posted this but for those of you out there dealing with overheating issues with the older nvidia card this most likely is the most overlooked cause of overheating? Below is a pic of what my card looked like and the cover that I removed.

Posted 06/23/2010 05:27 AM   
Scroll To Top