The GeForce Forums
  1 / 8    
In January ChrisRay and I got together and fleshed out what we wanted to do with these forums, how we could improve them. We discussed what was and was not working with the SLI Zone forums and with the nZone forums. We stole one of NVIDIA's meeting rooms at CES and wrote it out over their white-board, then copied it to the back of a receipt, the only paper we had at the time. It spent several hours folded in my pocket. We showed it off to Ken Brown, a PR Manager at NVIDIA.

After ChrisRay's passing, I wasn't sure what would be done with the forums. I re-wrote what Chris and I had mapped out, making a few adjustments and changes for some over-sights. Exitios and I are much on the same wave-length about how to handle the forum structure. Eventually I was down at NVIDIA's Campus in Santa Clara to talk about the forums, how the post-merge-monstrosity just wasn't working, and what I wanted to do about it. Once NVIDIA understood how troubled this community was they gave me a big green light to go ahead and work on making it better.

These are ChrisRay's forums, and Exitio's forums, and my forums, but mostly they're [b]your[/b] forums. We thought our ideas were great, but we needed to get feedback from a larger audience. Jaafaman, F.E.A.R., jimbonbon, 420Ryme, Qazax, ExtremeGrandpa, Stickywulf and Satr should all be blamed for all the changes that have occurred (see what I did right there?). They all responded, and about 200 e-mails later we arrived pretty close to where this structure is at today.

Well, I sincerely hope you like it. We've put a lot of work and thought into it.
In January ChrisRay and I got together and fleshed out what we wanted to do with these forums, how we could improve them. We discussed what was and was not working with the SLI Zone forums and with the nZone forums. We stole one of NVIDIA's meeting rooms at CES and wrote it out over their white-board, then copied it to the back of a receipt, the only paper we had at the time. It spent several hours folded in my pocket. We showed it off to Ken Brown, a PR Manager at NVIDIA.

After ChrisRay's passing, I wasn't sure what would be done with the forums. I re-wrote what Chris and I had mapped out, making a few adjustments and changes for some over-sights. Exitios and I are much on the same wave-length about how to handle the forum structure. Eventually I was down at NVIDIA's Campus in Santa Clara to talk about the forums, how the post-merge-monstrosity just wasn't working, and what I wanted to do about it. Once NVIDIA understood how troubled this community was they gave me a big green light to go ahead and work on making it better.

These are ChrisRay's forums, and Exitio's forums, and my forums, but mostly they're your forums. We thought our ideas were great, but we needed to get feedback from a larger audience. Jaafaman, F.E.A.R., jimbonbon, 420Ryme, Qazax, ExtremeGrandpa, Stickywulf and Satr should all be blamed for all the changes that have occurred (see what I did right there?). They all responded, and about 200 e-mails later we arrived pretty close to where this structure is at today.

Well, I sincerely hope you like it. We've put a lot of work and thought into it.

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 06/22/2010 03:58 AM   
We had many goals to archive with just the structure of the "new" forums. We wanted to eliminate under-utilized or over-utilized forums. The forums are a living knowledgebase. Even with a search tool (people use that?), we needed to design something that would make information easy to find. Users need to be able to find exactly the type of information they need with just a single click. Folks that want to help out need to be able to easily find the threads they are able, willing and knowledgeable enough about to help in. General sections are a mess, too many sections are too hard to navigate.

So a balance was worked for. GPUs are split by their architecture-closeness and DirectX support. Non-graphics hardware is grouped into tightly related bunches. But we still left a few catch-alls. We wanted every post to have 1 best place for it to be posted, and we didn't want any post (that belongs on these forums anyway) to not have a place to be.

We knew from the beginning that it was nigh impossible to split over-utilized general forums like General Hardware Discussion and GeForce GeWhiz/GPUs. Our first plan was to make a new structure, lock the old structure and park it as an archive link at the bottom of the new structure. I didn't want to lose any(one's) posts. I even went so far as to tell someone at NVIDIA that if they deleted all of my posts [b]I[/b] would leave.

The downside of that plan was that tons of epic, important and active threads would be locked elsewhere. The archive wasn't a bad solution, but it wasn't great either. After the n-th revision of the new forum structure, it hit me: It's only 2 forum sections that actually need to be split. Obvious, right? Rather than lose the entire "old" structure to an archive, I mapped out how to merge everything to its "new" location. Not everything from the old structure is a perfect fit with the new structure, but there were only a few square bolts that needed pounding into round holes.

So the two problem sections are located in the "Forum Legacy" section. The sections aren't locked, you just can't make a new thread in them. Old threads can still be used for discussion. Active/important threads can be moved to the most appropriate place in the new structure as warranted. In a few months, a year, or even more, the Forum Legacy section will be locked completely, but all knowledge will be retained.

Now, in the course of all this, the Puppy Mod became very excited and accidentally piddled on the SLI Zone skin. We're letting it air-dry for a while. (I actually broke it. Sorry about that.) I felt like it was more important to get this place live again as quickly as possible than it was to worry about the skin. So yes, you'll have to endure the "ugly" skin for a while. We're working to fix the issue, but having some difficulty getting it implemented on the forums. As soon as we can get it right, it will be the only skin option. Worst come to worst with the SLI Zone skin, a new dark-theme skin is already being developed.

Questions or Issues about the forums?: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=172048"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=172048[/url]

Amorphous
We had many goals to archive with just the structure of the "new" forums. We wanted to eliminate under-utilized or over-utilized forums. The forums are a living knowledgebase. Even with a search tool (people use that?), we needed to design something that would make information easy to find. Users need to be able to find exactly the type of information they need with just a single click. Folks that want to help out need to be able to easily find the threads they are able, willing and knowledgeable enough about to help in. General sections are a mess, too many sections are too hard to navigate.

So a balance was worked for. GPUs are split by their architecture-closeness and DirectX support. Non-graphics hardware is grouped into tightly related bunches. But we still left a few catch-alls. We wanted every post to have 1 best place for it to be posted, and we didn't want any post (that belongs on these forums anyway) to not have a place to be.

We knew from the beginning that it was nigh impossible to split over-utilized general forums like General Hardware Discussion and GeForce GeWhiz/GPUs. Our first plan was to make a new structure, lock the old structure and park it as an archive link at the bottom of the new structure. I didn't want to lose any(one's) posts. I even went so far as to tell someone at NVIDIA that if they deleted all of my posts I would leave.

The downside of that plan was that tons of epic, important and active threads would be locked elsewhere. The archive wasn't a bad solution, but it wasn't great either. After the n-th revision of the new forum structure, it hit me: It's only 2 forum sections that actually need to be split. Obvious, right? Rather than lose the entire "old" structure to an archive, I mapped out how to merge everything to its "new" location. Not everything from the old structure is a perfect fit with the new structure, but there were only a few square bolts that needed pounding into round holes.

So the two problem sections are located in the "Forum Legacy" section. The sections aren't locked, you just can't make a new thread in them. Old threads can still be used for discussion. Active/important threads can be moved to the most appropriate place in the new structure as warranted. In a few months, a year, or even more, the Forum Legacy section will be locked completely, but all knowledge will be retained.

Now, in the course of all this, the Puppy Mod became very excited and accidentally piddled on the SLI Zone skin. We're letting it air-dry for a while. (I actually broke it. Sorry about that.) I felt like it was more important to get this place live again as quickly as possible than it was to worry about the skin. So yes, you'll have to endure the "ugly" skin for a while. We're working to fix the issue, but having some difficulty getting it implemented on the forums. As soon as we can get it right, it will be the only skin option. Worst come to worst with the SLI Zone skin, a new dark-theme skin is already being developed.

Questions or Issues about the forums?: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=172048

Amorphous

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 06/22/2010 04:31 AM   
Well said Morph. Looks like you guys have been hard at work for the last two days. There seems to be a few things on my end that need moved around but it looks like it all made it over safe and sound. As for the skin, my eye are already bleeding from the blinding white so gets to working on fixing our beloved SLI-Zone skin which has been the face of these forums for what seems like ever. lol

[quote]These are ChrisRay's forums, and Exitio's forums, and my forums, but mostly they're your forums. We thought our ideas were great, but we needed to get feedback from a larger audience. Jaafaman, F.E.A.R., jimbonbon, 420Ryme, Qazax, ExtremeGrandpa, Stickywulf and Satr should all be blamed for all the changes that have occurred (see what I did right there?). They all responded, and about 200 e-mails later we arrived pretty close to where this structure is at today.[/quote]

Well all banded together and tried our best make this forum easily accessible and have a structure that made sense. I hope everyone enjoys it and knows that when Morph said 200 e-mails he's not kidding. Thank god for Gmail threading. If you have a problem and need to complain feel free to write any one of us and I'm sure you'll get the response you deserve. hahah Good work guys.

Crazy how bored you can get in two days while your favorite site is down.
Well said Morph. Looks like you guys have been hard at work for the last two days. There seems to be a few things on my end that need moved around but it looks like it all made it over safe and sound. As for the skin, my eye are already bleeding from the blinding white so gets to working on fixing our beloved SLI-Zone skin which has been the face of these forums for what seems like ever. lol

These are ChrisRay's forums, and Exitio's forums, and my forums, but mostly they're your forums. We thought our ideas were great, but we needed to get feedback from a larger audience. Jaafaman, F.E.A.R., jimbonbon, 420Ryme, Qazax, ExtremeGrandpa, Stickywulf and Satr should all be blamed for all the changes that have occurred (see what I did right there?). They all responded, and about 200 e-mails later we arrived pretty close to where this structure is at today.

Well all banded together and tried our best make this forum easily accessible and have a structure that made sense. I hope everyone enjoys it and knows that when Morph said 200 e-mails he's not kidding. Thank god for Gmail threading. If you have a problem and need to complain feel free to write any one of us and I'm sure you'll get the response you deserve. hahah Good work guys.

Crazy how bored you can get in two days while your favorite site is down.

Posted 06/23/2010 12:52 AM   
Were the heck is my SLIZone Subforum for easy access to my elitist, yet beloved SLIZone family oh so thankfully carried over from the merger? The Heedless One is not pleased.
Were the heck is my SLIZone Subforum for easy access to my elitist, yet beloved SLIZone family oh so thankfully carried over from the merger? The Heedless One is not pleased.
I Totally concur with that...I was cruising the site several times an hr...in hopes it might be up
and it took just over 2 days....but it looks good

Hope it didn't wipe you guys out getting it straighten out.
I Totally concur with that...I was cruising the site several times an hr...in hopes it might be up

and it took just over 2 days....but it looks good

Hope it didn't wipe you guys out getting it straighten out.

ImageImage

Join the NVidia Forum Team - Please Help Medical Research - Folding@home

Posted 06/23/2010 01:08 AM   
Right here, sir: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=204"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=204[/url]

[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076604' date='Jun 22 2010, 06:05 PM']Were the heck is my SLIZone Subforum for easy access to my elitist, yet beloved SLIZone family oh so thankfully carried over from the merger? The Heedless One is not pleased.[/quote]
Right here, sir: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=204

[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076604' date='Jun 22 2010, 06:05 PM']Were the heck is my SLIZone Subforum for easy access to my elitist, yet beloved SLIZone family oh so thankfully carried over from the merger? The Heedless One is not pleased.

Posted 06/23/2010 01:09 AM   
Already had the shades on when I logged in. WOW is like being in the artic circle with all the bright white around.

I understand there was a small snafu that now has us minus the SLI Zone skin. Ah well I guess we can live with it for awhile until the new software is implemented. It will take some time to get used to the new structure, but so far everything is looking A-OK. Good work getting the forums back up and running as quickly as possible.

So Amorphous did the puppy training get completed?

EG
Already had the shades on when I logged in. WOW is like being in the artic circle with all the bright white around.

I understand there was a small snafu that now has us minus the SLI Zone skin. Ah well I guess we can live with it for awhile until the new software is implemented. It will take some time to get used to the new structure, but so far everything is looking A-OK. Good work getting the forums back up and running as quickly as possible.

So Amorphous did the puppy training get completed?

EG

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 06/23/2010 01:11 AM   
[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076608' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:09 PM']Right here, sir: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=204"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=204[/url][/quote]

Im assuming that's "SLI for Beginners" and "Installation Help" seeing as it's all been consolidated!?

KHHHAAAAAAANNNNNN!
[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076608' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:09 PM']Right here, sir: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=204

Im assuming that's "SLI for Beginners" and "Installation Help" seeing as it's all been consolidated!?

KHHHAAAAAAANNNNNN!
Please, please reset the background the dark grey, we were so fond of.
this blinding white is creating a headache of monumental proportions!
Please, please reset the background the dark grey, we were so fond of.

ASUS M4N98TD EVO,

AMD PhenomII 955,

8Gigs-1066 Kingston Ram,

EVGA GTX-285,

Win7/64 bit.

Posted 06/23/2010 01:12 AM   
[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076611' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:12 PM']Im assuming that's "SLI for Beginners" and "Installation Help"?[/quote]

Yes it is. If you look around the forums are broken down much further then they were before. There is a place for just about everything which will make it much easier to find threads related to specific issues.
[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076611' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:12 PM']Im assuming that's "SLI for Beginners" and "Installation Help"?

Yes it is. If you look around the forums are broken down much further then they were before. There is a place for just about everything which will make it much easier to find threads related to specific issues.

Posted 06/23/2010 01:17 AM   
There was significant over-lap between the SLI Zone forums and the nZone forums, since those communities are now merged, the sections are no longer split. The SLI section is just that, one section of this community. It's not its own community any longer. Club SLI still exists, and we're working on getting a special section going for Club SLI members, but that's going to be a little more in the future.

I'm building a map of where the old sections went.

Amorphous
[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076611' date='Jun 22 2010, 06:12 PM']Im assuming that's "SLI for Beginners" and "Installation Help"?[/quote]
There was significant over-lap between the SLI Zone forums and the nZone forums, since those communities are now merged, the sections are no longer split. The SLI section is just that, one section of this community. It's not its own community any longer. Club SLI still exists, and we're working on getting a special section going for Club SLI members, but that's going to be a little more in the future.

Amorphous

[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076611' date='Jun 22 2010, 06:12 PM']Im assuming that's "SLI for Beginners" and "Installation Help"?

Posted 06/23/2010 01:18 AM   
Please, please read the thread you're replying in, especially the parts about the SLI Zone skin being temporarily offline, but being worked on, and the part where we already have a completely new dark-them skin in the works. The white skin is [b]only[/b] a temporary measure until we can get the SLI Zone skin working again, or the new skin installed. After one of those is working, the white skin will not be usable on the GeForce forum sections. :)

Amorphous

[quote name='sparks454alive' post='1076612' date='Jun 22 2010, 06:12 PM']Please, please reset the background the dark grey, we were so fond of.
this blinding white is creating a headache of monumental proportions![/quote]
Please, please read the thread you're replying in, especially the parts about the SLI Zone skin being temporarily offline, but being worked on, and the part where we already have a completely new dark-them skin in the works. The white skin is only a temporary measure until we can get the SLI Zone skin working again, or the new skin installed. After one of those is working, the white skin will not be usable on the GeForce forum sections. :)

Amorphous

[quote name='sparks454alive' post='1076612' date='Jun 22 2010, 06:12 PM']Please, please reset the background the dark grey, we were so fond of.

Posted 06/23/2010 01:21 AM   
[quote name='420Ryme' post='1076616' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:17 PM']Yes it is. If you look around the forums are broken down much further then they were before. There is a place for just about everything which will make it much easier to find threads related to specific issues.[/quote]

[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076617' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:18 PM']There was significant over-lap between the SLI Zone forums and the nZone forums, since those communities are now merged, the sections are no longer split. The SLI section is just that, one section of this community. It's not its own community any longer. Club SLI still exists, and we're working on getting a special section going for Club SLI members, but that's going to be a little more in the future.

Amorphous[/quote]

That sucks for the SLIzone guys... that was like our club house. To correct this egregious error, you should make a platinum forum with an entry test only we can pass:)
[quote name='420Ryme' post='1076616' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:17 PM']Yes it is. If you look around the forums are broken down much further then they were before. There is a place for just about everything which will make it much easier to find threads related to specific issues.

[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076617' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:18 PM']There was significant over-lap between the SLI Zone forums and the nZone forums, since those communities are now merged, the sections are no longer split. The SLI section is just that, one section of this community. It's not its own community any longer. Club SLI still exists, and we're working on getting a special section going for Club SLI members, but that's going to be a little more in the future.

Amorphous

That sucks for the SLIzone guys... that was like our club house. To correct this egregious error, you should make a platinum forum with an entry test only we can pass:)
[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076624' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:27 PM']That sucks for the SLIzone guys... that was like our club house. To correct this egregious error, you should make a platinum forum with an entry test only we can pass:)[/quote]

They will be migrating to new software before to long. No sense in trying to do anything before that happens. I am sure they will take recommendations, but implementing such a thing isnt so simple.

EG
[quote name='Heedless_0ne' post='1076624' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:27 PM']That sucks for the SLIzone guys... that was like our club house. To correct this egregious error, you should make a platinum forum with an entry test only we can pass:)

They will be migrating to new software before to long. No sense in trying to do anything before that happens. I am sure they will take recommendations, but implementing such a thing isnt so simple.

EG

In Memory Of Chris Arthington "One Cool Cat"

Posted 06/23/2010 01:31 AM   
[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076579' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:58 PM']Exitio's forums...[/quote]

This Exitio guy sounds like a classy fellow. Is he new?

[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1076610' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:11 PM']So Amorphous did the puppy training get completed?[/quote]

Amorphadiddycan'tspellmyname has your answer below, I think.

[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076580' date='Jun 22 2010, 12:31 AM']Now, in the course of all this, the Puppy Mod became very excited and accidentally piddled on the SLI Zone skin. We're letting it air-dry for a while. (I actually broke it. Sorry about that.)[/quote]

To be serious for a moment (and only just) I should point out that basically all of the changes you see active right now are because of the hard work Amorphous poured into the forums over the last few days. While it's easy to nit-pick over what isn't working at 100%, something easily attributable to the old software and backend equipment, there was a monstrous amount of content that had to be filtered, reorganized, and removed from dozens of different channels into new ones. To top all of that off, I kept bugging him over Facebook chat.

So although it's cute he's trying to keep me involved and pretend like I had a hand in this, all of the credit should go to him.
[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076579' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:58 PM']Exitio's forums...

This Exitio guy sounds like a classy fellow. Is he new?

[quote name='ExtremeGrandpa' post='1076610' date='Jun 22 2010, 09:11 PM']So Amorphous did the puppy training get completed?

Amorphadiddycan'tspellmyname has your answer below, I think.

[quote name='Amorphous' post='1076580' date='Jun 22 2010, 12:31 AM']Now, in the course of all this, the Puppy Mod became very excited and accidentally piddled on the SLI Zone skin. We're letting it air-dry for a while. (I actually broke it. Sorry about that.)

To be serious for a moment (and only just) I should point out that basically all of the changes you see active right now are because of the hard work Amorphous poured into the forums over the last few days. While it's easy to nit-pick over what isn't working at 100%, something easily attributable to the old software and backend equipment, there was a monstrous amount of content that had to be filtered, reorganized, and removed from dozens of different channels into new ones. To top all of that off, I kept bugging him over Facebook chat.

So although it's cute he's trying to keep me involved and pretend like I had a hand in this, all of the credit should go to him.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 06/23/2010 01:37 AM   
  1 / 8    
Scroll To Top