9800m GT in SLI config Temperature threshold?
Okay, I own an Alienware Area 51 m17X R1. It has been repaired multiple times for the heat failure of the 9800GT's in SLI config. This last time they ran at 107C before total failure.
4 months later and a totally new case, mobo, cpu, ram, lcd screen and two new -ish 9800GT's and out of warranty; my temps are running at 80C while surfing the internet and at 104C playing Crysis on High (not very high). If I run a stability test like Furmark (not the torture test) My temps climb very quickly to 106C and I shut off the test. When I say quickly they hit this temp at around 120seconds. The second core temp seems to run at a respectable 57C surfing the net, and around 70 to 80C under peak load. This is the exact same thing that was happening before I lost the laptop completely.
The key here is that Alienware/Dell is trying to tell me that these temps are reasonable and normal for their gaming laptop gpu's. I have 10days left to ferret this out before they are no longer obligated to me as a customer. I am concerned that these cards will probably only last me a few months at these temps and then Dell can basically tell me tough luck.
I have searched and searched for the 9800m GT threshold temps, normal load temps, peak load temps, idle temps. All I get is people sort of guessing them based on other cards and experience. NOT to downplay them or their knowledge at all, but I have to tell AW/Dell that they are wrong based on facts. Can anyone here point me to a spec sheet?
Oh and I would love to know if this has happened to others. These kinds of temps, that is.
Okay, I own an Alienware Area 51 m17X R1. It has been repaired multiple times for the heat failure of the 9800GT's in SLI config. This last time they ran at 107C before total failure.

4 months later and a totally new case, mobo, cpu, ram, lcd screen and two new -ish 9800GT's and out of warranty; my temps are running at 80C while surfing the internet and at 104C playing Crysis on High (not very high). If I run a stability test like Furmark (not the torture test) My temps climb very quickly to 106C and I shut off the test. When I say quickly they hit this temp at around 120seconds. The second core temp seems to run at a respectable 57C surfing the net, and around 70 to 80C under peak load. This is the exact same thing that was happening before I lost the laptop completely.

The key here is that Alienware/Dell is trying to tell me that these temps are reasonable and normal for their gaming laptop gpu's. I have 10days left to ferret this out before they are no longer obligated to me as a customer. I am concerned that these cards will probably only last me a few months at these temps and then Dell can basically tell me tough luck.

I have searched and searched for the 9800m GT threshold temps, normal load temps, peak load temps, idle temps. All I get is people sort of guessing them based on other cards and experience. NOT to downplay them or their knowledge at all, but I have to tell AW/Dell that they are wrong based on facts. Can anyone here point me to a spec sheet?

Oh and I would love to know if this has happened to others. These kinds of temps, that is.

Posted 06/20/2010 03:31 AM   
It seem's they put a marginal cooling system in it.Even at 100% gpu load it should'nt exceed 105c since both desktop or laptop gpu's start to throttle down at that temp.

Also their should'nt be any reason for it to operate at 80c with no load unless the ambient temp is too high or fan or vent's are clogged or not functioning.
It seem's they put a marginal cooling system in it.Even at 100% gpu load it should'nt exceed 105c since both desktop or laptop gpu's start to throttle down at that temp.

Also their should'nt be any reason for it to operate at 80c with no load unless the ambient temp is too high or fan or vent's are clogged or not functioning.

Posted 06/20/2010 03:54 AM   
It's a new case, new everything pretty much. No clogging, no dirt or dust period. So is 105C pretty much a threshold for this card? It seemed a bit high at that temp and at 106C.
And thx for answering. I find it odd that there is no spec sheet for this card. Even on Nvidia's site they typically list the threshold temps for all their cards.
Thx again
I almost forgot to mention ambient temp never gets over 78F mostly around 75F
And it stays on an aluminum laptop cooler with a 120mmfan running at all times.
It's a new case, new everything pretty much. No clogging, no dirt or dust period. So is 105C pretty much a threshold for this card? It seemed a bit high at that temp and at 106C.

And thx for answering. I find it odd that there is no spec sheet for this card. Even on Nvidia's site they typically list the threshold temps for all their cards.

Thx again

I almost forgot to mention ambient temp never gets over 78F mostly around 75F

And it stays on an aluminum laptop cooler with a 120mmfan running at all times.

Posted 06/20/2010 02:41 PM   
Hello
I have the same laptop, with same GPUs, and same problem. My problem appeared when I upgraded to Windows 7.I cleaned the vents, applied new cooling paste, but still too hot. Also, the problem is only with the slave GPU. I think it's a driver problem, so I'm trying a lot of drivers.
Also, I have this thread [url="http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-area-51-aurora-legacy-systems/503945-area-51-m17x-gpu-temps-one-too-hot.html"]here.[/url]
Hello

I have the same laptop, with same GPUs, and same problem. My problem appeared when I upgraded to Windows 7.I cleaned the vents, applied new cooling paste, but still too hot. Also, the problem is only with the slave GPU. I think it's a driver problem, so I'm trying a lot of drivers.

Also, I have this thread here.

Posted 08/02/2010 10:48 PM   
Are you using the driver's from dell's site?
Are you using the driver's from dell's site?

Posted 08/03/2010 12:37 AM   
Hello
I went back to my old drivers. With these, it won't reach 100C, and games run more smoothly. Also, I applied the cooling paste more carefully, so now I have 95C, when playing GTA IV on 1920x1200. Also I ordered Arctic Silver 5 cooling compound, so if my calculations are correct it will be 85C max, when I get it.
You should try these drivers. Dox is a genius:) [url="http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24003-forceware-18585/"]The Dox 185.85 is the best.[/url]
I have to tell you, I've been using this laptop for 1.5 years now, without problems. I come to the conclusion, that the 195.62 Nvidia drivers are the cause of the problem.
Regards
Hello

I went back to my old drivers. With these, it won't reach 100C, and games run more smoothly. Also, I applied the cooling paste more carefully, so now I have 95C, when playing GTA IV on 1920x1200. Also I ordered Arctic Silver 5 cooling compound, so if my calculations are correct it will be 85C max, when I get it.

You should try these drivers. Dox is a genius:) The Dox 185.85 is the best.

I have to tell you, I've been using this laptop for 1.5 years now, without problems. I come to the conclusion, that the 195.62 Nvidia drivers are the cause of the problem.

Regards

Posted 08/03/2010 06:37 PM   
I have exactly same problem here!!!. I have Acer aspire 5621 9800gt 8G ram quad processor and 400W power supply unit. When i dont open any apps temp is 85-86 C and when I play on call of duty 600-800 resolution temp is 95 C when I put higher resolution then that temp is 105-110 C And the screen goes black says no signal and only restarting the computer will make the screen go back on. The desktop still runs though. I was wondering maybe my power supply is not strong enough. But whats most surprising is that for one year computer was working perfectly even on highest resolution with super demanding World in Conflict game on highest graphics! I dont know what to do please help!
I have exactly same problem here!!!. I have Acer aspire 5621 9800gt 8G ram quad processor and 400W power supply unit. When i dont open any apps temp is 85-86 C and when I play on call of duty 600-800 resolution temp is 95 C when I put higher resolution then that temp is 105-110 C And the screen goes black says no signal and only restarting the computer will make the screen go back on. The desktop still runs though. I was wondering maybe my power supply is not strong enough. But whats most surprising is that for one year computer was working perfectly even on highest resolution with super demanding World in Conflict game on highest graphics! I dont know what to do please help!

Posted 10/25/2010 11:23 PM   

Posted 10/25/2010 11:23 PM   
Scroll To Top