GTX480: PC hangs after login
  1 / 14    
Hi all,

After installing a GTX480 card and the latest NVIDIA drivers (257.21) in my new PC the system hangs after entering my login password and will not respond. The older 197.75 drivers have the same problem. An older GTX285 works without any problems.
The GTX480 videocard works without any problems in my old PC (600W PS)

PC Configuration:

Video: Asus ENGTX480
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 (F6 BIOS)
CPU: Intel Core I7 980X
Powersupply: Corsair HX750
Memory: 2 x Kingston ValueRAM 6GB kit (Totaal 12GB, 6 x 2GB DIMM)
SSD : 1 x Intel Postville X25-M 160GB
Harddisks: 2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB (RAID 1)
DVD: LiteON DVD Rewriter

What likely cause should I be looking for?
Hi all,

After installing a GTX480 card and the latest NVIDIA drivers (257.21) in my new PC the system hangs after entering my login password and will not respond. The older 197.75 drivers have the same problem. An older GTX285 works without any problems.

PC Configuration:

Posted 06/19/2010 12:29 PM   
Update:

I noticed something strange while installing the GTX480 drivers. At about 75% of the driver installation process Windows 7 wants to shutdown the computer but says it can't because of a running program (NVIDIA installer). I can choose force shutdown or cancel. If I select cancel the final screen of the NVIDIA installer appears and asks if I want to reboot the computer.

When installing the driver with the GTX285, only the installer will ask for a reboot.
Update:

I noticed something strange while installing the GTX480 drivers. At about 75% of the driver installation process Windows 7 wants to shutdown the computer but says it can't because of a running program (NVIDIA installer). I can choose force shutdown or cancel. If I select cancel the final screen of the NVIDIA installer appears and asks if I want to reboot the computer.

When installing the driver with the GTX285, only the installer will ask for a reboot.

Posted 06/19/2010 01:51 PM   
try diversweeprt in safe to uninstall the driver completly and then install the latest driver
try diversweeprt in safe to uninstall the driver completly and then install the latest driver

Posted 07/02/2010 10:01 AM   

Posted 07/02/2010 10:01 AM   
[quote name='ghassan' post='1081541' date='Jul 2 2010, 11:01 AM']try diversweeprt in safe to uninstall the driver completly and then install the latest driver[/quote]

I already tried that. Did not work. I also tried a GTX470 of a friend, same problem, freeze at welcome screen after login. I'll try reinstalling Windows 7.
Or does anyone have a different suggestion?
[quote name='ghassan' post='1081541' date='Jul 2 2010, 11:01 AM']try diversweeprt in safe to uninstall the driver completly and then install the latest driver

I already tried that. Did not work. I also tried a GTX470 of a friend, same problem, freeze at welcome screen after login. I'll try reinstalling Windows 7.

Or does anyone have a different suggestion?

Posted 07/03/2010 11:21 AM   
I have the same problem.

I contacted EVGA, they told me to do a few things, I did, it didnt work, they suggest re-installing windows...

Out of interests sake are you using windows 7 x64?

I kinda got it working by putting in my GTX260 as the primary card with the 480 in there as well, logging in, then unplugging the monitors from the 260 and plugging them into the 480, but with my motherboard to do this I am using a slower PCI-E connector for the 480 which is not the best thing in the world. Tomorrow I will switch the cards back around and see with the updates etc I have done whether or not it will work properly now.

I'll let you know when I do so.

Nick
I have the same problem.

I contacted EVGA, they told me to do a few things, I did, it didnt work, they suggest re-installing windows...

Out of interests sake are you using windows 7 x64?

I kinda got it working by putting in my GTX260 as the primary card with the 480 in there as well, logging in, then unplugging the monitors from the 260 and plugging them into the 480, but with my motherboard to do this I am using a slower PCI-E connector for the 480 which is not the best thing in the world. Tomorrow I will switch the cards back around and see with the updates etc I have done whether or not it will work properly now.

I'll let you know when I do so.

Nick

Twitter: @Dr_Inkduff

<b>Processor:</b> Intel Core i7 920 D0 (4Ghz) <b>Motherboard:</b> ASUS P6T

<b>Memory:</b> 6GB DDR3 RAM (Kingston) <b>Graphics:</b> GTX 260 (216 cores, physX); EVGA GTX 480 SC

<b>OS:</b> Win7 Home Premium 64-bit / Vista Home Premium 64-bit

<b>Hard Disks:</b> 750GB + 500GB <b>Tower:</b> Antec 'Twelve Hundred' Gaming Tower

<b>Monitors:</b> 24" ACER GD245HQbd 120Hz 1920*1080 + 22" widescreen LCD 1680x1050

http://bit.ly/Bluesteel

Posted 07/03/2010 02:12 PM   
[quote name='Dr Nick' post='1082130' date='Jul 3 2010, 02:12 PM']Out of interests sake are you using windows 7 x64?[/quote]

Yes, I am running Windows 7 x64
[quote name='Dr Nick' post='1082130' date='Jul 3 2010, 02:12 PM']Out of interests sake are you using windows 7 x64?

Yes, I am running Windows 7 x64

Posted 07/03/2010 04:53 PM   
I got my card up and running. This is what I did:

1. Installed card in 2nd PCIe slot
2. Installed the latest nvidia driver and rebooted the system
3. login and freeze at welcome screen :(
4. turned PC off, and moved card to primary PCIe slot
5. turned PC on and logged in
6. waited for Windows to recognize the card and let Windows install the driver.
7. Reboot and no more freezes at welcome screen

Will do some more testing later.
I got my card up and running. This is what I did:

1. Installed card in 2nd PCIe slot

2. Installed the latest nvidia driver and rebooted the system

3. login and freeze at welcome screen :(

4. turned PC off, and moved card to primary PCIe slot

5. turned PC on and logged in

6. waited for Windows to recognize the card and let Windows install the driver.

7. Reboot and no more freezes at welcome screen

Will do some more testing later.

Posted 07/03/2010 07:18 PM   
You have to make certain that the drivers install correctly. There is a guide in my sig.

[quote name='Eruldan' post='1075922' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:29 AM']Hi all,

PC Configuration:

What likely cause should I be looking for?[/quote]
You have to make certain that the drivers install correctly. There is a guide in my sig.

[quote name='Eruldan' post='1075922' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:29 AM']Hi all,

PC Configuration:

Would you like SLI Support for your game?

nvidia.com_sli_request_form

Nvidia_SLI_Profile_Update#7_2011.03.01

Posted 07/04/2010 12:03 AM   
I hate to say this, but thank god I'm not the only person out there experiencing this. I even shipped my GTX 480 back to Gigabyte, thinking it was a bad card..to which they replied "Card runs fine. No crashes in windows or otherwise"...

So far, I'm on my 5th Win 7 X64 reinstall. Yes..thats right...I've now installed Win 7 Five times, since purchasing this card. I've tried using my old 9800 GX2, which works fine. As soon as I uninstall the GX2 drivers, and install my GTX 480, Windows locks up at logon.

I'll try the PCI-E 1 and 2 switch-a-roo and see if this corrects it for me.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

My Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 (not overclocked)
MSI NF980-G65 Mobo
Rosewill 1000W psu
4 gb Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GTX 480
SB X-Fi Fata1ity sc
1x Seagate 1TB hdd
1x WD 500 GB hdd
1x LG Blu Ray drive
1x Pioneer DVD-RW drive
I hate to say this, but thank god I'm not the only person out there experiencing this. I even shipped my GTX 480 back to Gigabyte, thinking it was a bad card..to which they replied "Card runs fine. No crashes in windows or otherwise"...

So far, I'm on my 5th Win 7 X64 reinstall. Yes..thats right...I've now installed Win 7 Five times, since purchasing this card. I've tried using my old 9800 GX2, which works fine. As soon as I uninstall the GX2 drivers, and install my GTX 480, Windows locks up at logon.

I'll try the PCI-E 1 and 2 switch-a-roo and see if this corrects it for me.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

My Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 (not overclocked)

MSI NF980-G65 Mobo

Rosewill 1000W psu

4 gb Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600

Gigabyte GTX 480

SB X-Fi Fata1ity sc

1x Seagate 1TB hdd

1x WD 500 GB hdd

1x LG Blu Ray drive

1x Pioneer DVD-RW drive

Posted 07/05/2010 04:09 AM   
I still haven't had any luck except for running my 480 in the third (slower) slot, then it works fine, but running in that slot is not a very good solution IMO.

I have been talking to EVGA about this and they have no solutions either.

I can almost promise that it's a problem with win 7 x64 in some way since older drivers etc don't work.

Hopefully Microsoft will release an update for this soon... Until then if anyone has any success let me know, I've spent about 50 hours straight on this with no working solutions yet :(

Nick

EDIT: iPhone spell check fails... haven't > baby???
I still haven't had any luck except for running my 480 in the third (slower) slot, then it works fine, but running in that slot is not a very good solution IMO.

I have been talking to EVGA about this and they have no solutions either.

I can almost promise that it's a problem with win 7 x64 in some way since older drivers etc don't work.

Hopefully Microsoft will release an update for this soon... Until then if anyone has any success let me know, I've spent about 50 hours straight on this with no working solutions yet :(

Nick

EDIT: iPhone spell check fails... haven't > baby???

<b>Memory:</b> 6GB DDR3 RAM (Kingston) <b>Graphics:</b> GTX 260 (216 cores, physX); EVGA GTX 480 SC

<b>Hard Disks:</b> 750GB + 500GB <b>Tower:</b> Antec 'Twelve Hundred' Gaming Tower

<b>Monitors:</b> 24" ACER GD245HQbd 120Hz 1920*1080 + 22" widescreen LCD 1680x1050

Posted 07/05/2010 04:28 AM   
The pci-e switch didn't work. Not only that, but now my 9800 GX2 won't install properly, even after I cleaned out the GTX 480 drivers with driversweep and ccleaner. As I type this, I'm now on my 6th Win 7 reinstall. I've waisted 3 days trying to fix this issue, with no end in sight. As a last resort, I purchased a new psu - Antec 1200W, to see if maybe my Rosewill 1000W psu, aint cutting it. Also, my MSI mobo has a newer bios update, but I hear MSI doesn't exactly make updating their bios very easy...

Swapping out sticks of memory, hdd's, changing cpu voltage settings, switching gfx cards....none of them have worked.

Also, did microsoft do something to their windows drivers? Because every time I allow 7 to auto-install drivers for either of my cards (9800 and the 480) windows seems to not only lock up at logon, but lock up at the windows loading screen....???
The pci-e switch didn't work. Not only that, but now my 9800 GX2 won't install properly, even after I cleaned out the GTX 480 drivers with driversweep and ccleaner. As I type this, I'm now on my 6th Win 7 reinstall. I've waisted 3 days trying to fix this issue, with no end in sight. As a last resort, I purchased a new psu - Antec 1200W, to see if maybe my Rosewill 1000W psu, aint cutting it. Also, my MSI mobo has a newer bios update, but I hear MSI doesn't exactly make updating their bios very easy...

Swapping out sticks of memory, hdd's, changing cpu voltage settings, switching gfx cards....none of them have worked.

Also, did microsoft do something to their windows drivers? Because every time I allow 7 to auto-install drivers for either of my cards (9800 and the 480) windows seems to not only lock up at logon, but lock up at the windows loading screen....???

Posted 07/05/2010 03:51 PM   
EVGA got back to me again today after I supplied them with further information.

[quote]With the testing you have done, short of trying in a different system, it does appear that the 480 may be bad. I have created a ticket for you to submit for an RMA. You can submit for an RMA by going to your members area of evga.com and go to View/Edit My Products. Click on Product Details for this product and click Submit RMA. Fill out the form and use the ticket #. Please be as specific as possible to the issues you are experiencing. The RMA Department has to review and approve the RMA. This usually takes 1 business day. You will receive an e-mail when it is approved with instructions as to where and how to ship the product. Being a US product you would have to pay shipping both ways for the RMA. Due to the card being purchased recently and in the interest of replacing the card as quickly as possible you can also see if you can get an exchange from the place of purchase.

The RMA department will need to see a copy of the invoice before they will approve an RMA. You can do this under View/Edit My Products in your EVGA Members account. It will ask for the invoice below the product listed. You can upload it in a JPG/PDF/XPS format as long as it is less than 2MB. Directions on how to upload an invoice is under the upload box as a red link saying Invoice upload instructions. I recommend using the PDF method due to it giving us the entire invoice.[/quote]

Looks like I'm getting mine replaced, which will HOPEFULLY work for me, but who knows...
And god knows how long I'll have to wait before getting it back...

Nick
EVGA got back to me again today after I supplied them with further information.

With the testing you have done, short of trying in a different system, it does appear that the 480 may be bad. I have created a ticket for you to submit for an RMA. You can submit for an RMA by going to your members area of evga.com and go to View/Edit My Products. Click on Product Details for this product and click Submit RMA. Fill out the form and use the ticket #. Please be as specific as possible to the issues you are experiencing. The RMA Department has to review and approve the RMA. This usually takes 1 business day. You will receive an e-mail when it is approved with instructions as to where and how to ship the product. Being a US product you would have to pay shipping both ways for the RMA. Due to the card being purchased recently and in the interest of replacing the card as quickly as possible you can also see if you can get an exchange from the place of purchase.

The RMA department will need to see a copy of the invoice before they will approve an RMA. You can do this under View/Edit My Products in your EVGA Members account. It will ask for the invoice below the product listed. You can upload it in a JPG/PDF/XPS format as long as it is less than 2MB. Directions on how to upload an invoice is under the upload box as a red link saying Invoice upload instructions. I recommend using the PDF method due to it giving us the entire invoice.

Looks like I'm getting mine replaced, which will HOPEFULLY work for me, but who knows...

Nick

Posted 07/06/2010 01:07 AM   
[quote name='Dr Nick' post='1083407' date='Jul 6 2010, 02:07 AM']EVGA got back to me again today after I supplied them with further information.

Nick[/quote]

Good to hear Nick. Unfortunately, two weeks after I got my card back from Gigabyte, I'm back to the same ol'e problem. The replacment psu and motherboard did not correct the problem. I even tested the card at work, and it still managed to lock up the machine. I just put in my second request for an RMA, so lets hope they REPLACE it, instead of trying to repair it.
[quote name='Dr Nick' post='1083407' date='Jul 6 2010, 02:07 AM']EVGA got back to me again today after I supplied them with further information.

Nick

Good to hear Nick. Unfortunately, two weeks after I got my card back from Gigabyte, I'm back to the same ol'e problem. The replacment psu and motherboard did not correct the problem. I even tested the card at work, and it still managed to lock up the machine. I just put in my second request for an RMA, so lets hope they REPLACE it, instead of trying to repair it.

Posted 07/08/2010 06:08 PM   
You have replaced the motherboard also? Know this. After you uninstall drivers. Win7 will install generic windows drivers. Those driver must fully install before you can install Nvidia's video drivers.
You may see an error nvidia drivers are waiting for a restart. Win7 generic video driver will have to have a restart, before you can start to install nvidia's.
#1 I always uninstall from [f8] safe mode.
#2 I always install from safemode.
Don't forget the 4xx cards have a sound chip in them for hdmi. The sound drivers are now part of the nvidia driver package.

[quote name='MyusernameisME' post='1084840' date='Jul 8 2010, 01:08 PM']Good to hear Nick. Unfortunately, two weeks after I got my card back from Gigabyte, I'm back to the same ol'e problem. The replacment psu and motherboard did not correct the problem. I even tested the card at work, and it still managed to lock up the machine. I just put in my second request for an RMA, so lets hope they REPLACE it, instead of trying to repair it.[/quote]
You have replaced the motherboard also? Know this. After you uninstall drivers. Win7 will install generic windows drivers. Those driver must fully install before you can install Nvidia's video drivers.

You may see an error nvidia drivers are waiting for a restart. Win7 generic video driver will have to have a restart, before you can start to install nvidia's.

#1 I always uninstall from [f8] safe mode.

#2 I always install from safemode.

Don't forget the 4xx cards have a sound chip in them for hdmi. The sound drivers are now part of the nvidia driver package.

[quote name='MyusernameisME' post='1084840' date='Jul 8 2010, 01:08 PM']Good to hear Nick. Unfortunately, two weeks after I got my card back from Gigabyte, I'm back to the same ol'e problem. The replacment psu and motherboard did not correct the problem. I even tested the card at work, and it still managed to lock up the machine. I just put in my second request for an RMA, so lets hope they REPLACE it, instead of trying to repair it.

Would you like SLI Support for your game?

nvidia.com_sli_request_form

Nvidia_SLI_Profile_Update#7_2011.03.01

Posted 07/08/2010 08:16 PM   
  1 / 14    
Scroll To Top