RAM on XP system?
I have an XPS 720 System. ...Running Windows XP Multi Media Edition.... What is the most amount of RAM that in can utilize again? I think I've read nore more than 3 or 4 GB? Correct? I have 3GB right now and am thinking of upgrading/adding more.........Though don't want to if it won't be useful or usable by my system.
I have an XPS 720 System. ...Running Windows XP Multi Media Edition.... What is the most amount of RAM that in can utilize again? I think I've read nore more than 3 or 4 GB? Correct? I have 3GB right now and am thinking of upgrading/adding more.........Though don't want to if it won't be useful or usable by my system.

Posted 06/18/2010 07:00 PM   
I'm fairly certain 3GB is the max on XP..

~phant0m
I'm fairly certain 3GB is the max on XP..

~phant0m

Intel Q9550 OC'd
4GB OCZ DDR2
SLI 9800gtx+'s OC'd
MSI P7N Diamond
Thermaltake 775W PSU Single +12V rail @ 64A
Acer 23" @ 1920x1080
Acer 21" @ 1680x1050
Logitech G15 & G5
Teknmotion Pulsewave Headphones
Thermaltake Spedo Advance Package Case

Posted 06/18/2010 07:15 PM   
a 32bit operating system will only be able to address 4Gb maximum RAM for the whole system, ie if you have 4Gb of RAM then not all of the RAM will be used as the system will allocate some of the memory addresses for things like your graphics card RAM etc so if you were to put in 4Gb of RAM chances are that your system will only show about 3Gb of useable RAM anyway! to get more RAM in your system you'd need to upgrade to a 64bit operating system, XP 64bit is a bit buggy so either Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit ( windows 7 would be my choice!) and you can use as much RAM as your hardware allows!
a 32bit operating system will only be able to address 4Gb maximum RAM for the whole system, ie if you have 4Gb of RAM then not all of the RAM will be used as the system will allocate some of the memory addresses for things like your graphics card RAM etc so if you were to put in 4Gb of RAM chances are that your system will only show about 3Gb of useable RAM anyway! to get more RAM in your system you'd need to upgrade to a 64bit operating system, XP 64bit is a bit buggy so either Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit ( windows 7 would be my choice!) and you can use as much RAM as your hardware allows!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Thermaltake Armor case with Liquid Cooling System
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w PSU
Intel Q6600
Asus Stryker 2 Formula Mobo
8Gb DDR2 800 RAM ( with Geil EvoCyclone cooling fan system)
PNY GTX295 1792Mb DDR3 896bit GPU
150Gb SATA WD Raptor HDD @ 10,000rpm
2 x 750Gb Seagate SATA HDD
1 x 1Tb Maxtor HDD
22" LCD monitor + HDMi connected 50" plasma 1080p TV

Posted 06/19/2010 09:34 AM   
are you actually running out of RAM? check the task manager when you are doing lots of stuff and see, but i dont think unless you are editing HD video that you will be running out... my PC has 3gig of RAM in it and i can play pretty much any game out at the moment and its fine.
are you actually running out of RAM? check the task manager when you are doing lots of stuff and see, but i dont think unless you are editing HD video that you will be running out... my PC has 3gig of RAM in it and i can play pretty much any game out at the moment and its fine.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 06/19/2010 10:55 AM   
+1 Qazax! I have 8Gb of RAM and I've rarely seen it going up to 4Gb to be honest! it's there if I need it but rarely does my system get anywhere close! 3Gb is good for 99% of Systems I'd say!
+1 Qazax! I have 8Gb of RAM and I've rarely seen it going up to 4Gb to be honest! it's there if I need it but rarely does my system get anywhere close! 3Gb is good for 99% of Systems I'd say!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Q6600
1 x 1Tb Maxtor HDD

Posted 06/19/2010 01:39 PM   
Snow I gotta disagree with your assessment of xp 64. I am running it and it has been by far the most stable of all of the windows OS's I have used including vista.

You can put 4 gig into a 32 bit system but windows will show it as 3.5g
Snow I gotta disagree with your assessment of xp 64. I am running it and it has been by far the most stable of all of the windows OS's I have used including vista.

You can put 4 gig into a 32 bit system but windows will show it as 3.5g

Processor: AMD Phenom IIx2 3.1ghz unlocked to 4 cores 3.33 ghz, 8 gigs OCZ DDR3 1600 Memory,WD 250 gig HD, Onboard sound, 22x DVD/RW drive ,Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker and sub, MOMO Racing FF Wheel and Pedals, ECS GT240 1gb GDDR5, Thermaltake 775w Modular Power Supply

Posted 06/20/2010 07:14 PM   
Alot of people don't like XP 64, but if it works well for you then cool! a 32bit OS will show 3.5Gb if the system only uses 512Mb for hardware etc such as 512Mb graphics card, others have reported 3Gb and even seen it showing as less, each case is different as hardware requirements vary so much and therefore the RAM useage changes! If I was to install XP 32bit with my system and only use 4Gb of RAM my graphics card would knock off around 2Gb straight away from useable RAM! so there's no way that a 32bit OS can use 3.5Gb of RAM with a 1.8Gb RAM graphics card installed for example as it can only address a maximum of 4Gb of RAM for the whole system.

you'll also note that I said "your system will only show [b]about[/b] 3Gb of useable RAM"

[url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_xp"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa...mits_windows_xp[/url]
Alot of people don't like XP 64, but if it works well for you then cool! a 32bit OS will show 3.5Gb if the system only uses 512Mb for hardware etc such as 512Mb graphics card, others have reported 3Gb and even seen it showing as less, each case is different as hardware requirements vary so much and therefore the RAM useage changes! If I was to install XP 32bit with my system and only use 4Gb of RAM my graphics card would knock off around 2Gb straight away from useable RAM! so there's no way that a 32bit OS can use 3.5Gb of RAM with a 1.8Gb RAM graphics card installed for example as it can only address a maximum of 4Gb of RAM for the whole system.

you'll also note that I said "your system will only show about 3Gb of useable RAM"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa...mits_windows_xp

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Q6600
1 x 1Tb Maxtor HDD

Posted 06/20/2010 07:35 PM   
I would strongly recommend sticking with no more than 2GB for a 32-bit operating system. Graphics cards and other devices are consoming more and more addressable memory space and therefore you may encounter instability if you are using more than 2GB, especially if you enable the /3GB switch.
I would strongly recommend sticking with no more than 2GB for a 32-bit operating system. Graphics cards and other devices are consoming more and more addressable memory space and therefore you may encounter instability if you are using more than 2GB, especially if you enable the /3GB switch.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 06/23/2010 12:06 AM   
As stated 4GB Addressable.(including the memory of all addon cards - VIDEO being the most common)

Best performance should be gotten with 2GB Dual Channel.

After you get above the 3GB mark tho, XP and VISTA will actually take part of it for addressing its needs 0 prior to that it uses the HD.

That is why if 4GB is installed, the OS will only show between 3.125-3.250 in most cases.
As stated 4GB Addressable.(including the memory of all addon cards - VIDEO being the most common)

Best performance should be gotten with 2GB Dual Channel.

After you get above the 3GB mark tho, XP and VISTA will actually take part of it for addressing its needs 0 prior to that it uses the HD.

That is why if 4GB is installed, the OS will only show between 3.125-3.250 in most cases.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 06/23/2010 11:43 AM   
Scroll To Top