2 DIFFERENT video cards at the same time? PCI-E/PCI
Hi,
I purchased a Dell Studio XPS 8100 about a month ago, but just recently found out that I could not add a second video card so that I could support up to 3 monitors (because the motherboard only had one PCI-E slot).

Though, today i just upgraded to a 465 GTX, and I saw a standard PCI slot that was empty...

So, my question is, can I use an older card that uses PCI instead of PCI-E, in order to use my third monitor? Would this cause conflicts with the mombo?

I read on these forums that you can use different cards at the same time, but I'm not sure if that is the case for cards that use different slot types (in this case PCI-E vs. PCI).

If I can do this, does anyone have any suggestions as to which PCI cards are the best, (I saw somewhere that anything higher than a 256mb card is pointless, since the PCI slot is limited). I'm looking at the Geforce 8400... but I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I purchased a Dell Studio XPS 8100 about a month ago, but just recently found out that I could not add a second video card so that I could support up to 3 monitors (because the motherboard only had one PCI-E slot).

Though, today i just upgraded to a 465 GTX, and I saw a standard PCI slot that was empty...

So, my question is, can I use an older card that uses PCI instead of PCI-E, in order to use my third monitor? Would this cause conflicts with the mombo?

I read on these forums that you can use different cards at the same time, but I'm not sure if that is the case for cards that use different slot types (in this case PCI-E vs. PCI).

If I can do this, does anyone have any suggestions as to which PCI cards are the best, (I saw somewhere that anything higher than a 256mb card is pointless, since the PCI slot is limited). I'm looking at the Geforce 8400... but I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Posted 06/17/2010 10:05 AM   
Yes, it works.

The 8400 is the best PCI based card out, I would go with that.
Okay cool,
I just found another option, the 9400 GT... and it has 3d capability like my 465 GTX... Which one should I get?
Okay cool,

I just found another option, the 9400 GT... and it has 3d capability like my 465 GTX... Which one should I get?

Posted 06/17/2010 11:34 AM   
[quote name='amhammock' post='1074947' date='Jun 17 2010, 07:34 AM']Okay cool,
I just found another option, the 9400 GT... and it has 3d capability like my 465 GTX... Which one should I get?[/quote]I'd say it depends on what you want to use that third monitor for. the 9400 GT may be overkill.

Edit: this one has a good price: [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187041"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187041[/url]
[quote name='amhammock' post='1074947' date='Jun 17 2010, 07:34 AM']Okay cool,

I just found another option, the 9400 GT... and it has 3d capability like my 465 GTX... Which one should I get?I'd say it depends on what you want to use that third monitor for. the 9400 GT may be overkill.

Edit: this one has a good price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187041

Posted 06/17/2010 06:23 PM   
I plan to use it for my two smallers 20'' monitors, and use the GTX for my 24"
I plan to use it for my two smallers 20'' monitors, and use the GTX for my 24"

Posted 06/18/2010 10:54 AM   
Okay so I got the 8400GS, but I'm having some problems.

I installed the card, along with the GTX465 (which was already installed). However upon startup, the GTX failed, and got a code 43 error. I tried numerous disabling/enabling and uninstalling, but nothing worked. So i uninstalled the 8400GS and reinstalled the software for the GTX and the GTX worked again.

Tried to install again, same problem. The GTX works all the way until after I type in my pw upon login, once it reaches the desktop it says that windows is trying to install a driver (the one for the 8400GS).

So, I figure that the problem is either that I need a powersupply with more than the 600watts I already have. Or, I'm installing the drivers in the wrong order...

Can someone help please?

I installed the card, along with the GTX465 (which was already installed). However upon startup, the GTX failed, and got a code 43 error. I tried numerous disabling/enabling and uninstalling, but nothing worked. So i uninstalled the 8400GS and reinstalled the software for the GTX and the GTX worked again.

Tried to install again, same problem. The GTX works all the way until after I type in my pw upon login, once it reaches the desktop it says that windows is trying to install a driver (the one for the 8400GS).

So, I figure that the problem is either that I need a powersupply with more than the 600watts I already have. Or, I'm installing the drivers in the wrong order...

Can someone help please?

Posted 07/01/2010 01:53 AM   

Can someone help please?

Can someone help please?

Posted 07/01/2010 01:53 AM   
Scroll To Top