ViewSonic PJD6531w 3D Projector Review
  1 / 6    
Hello 3D Vision,

As well as 3D vision, this projector natively supports the TI DLP Link, which works with anything as long as there is a page flipping image on the screen. Nothing needs to produce the sync signal as the projector does that itself. This means that an ATi card with the iZ3D driver is just as good, if not better.

One of the best things about the projector is that it supports the 3D modes over HDMI (DVI to HDMI Cable), instead of only over analogue as with other so called "3D Ready" projectors, which is a big bonus.

It's compatible with the XpanD X102 glasses (arguably the best 3D glasses on the market at present), but they use a proprietary battery. ViewSonic sell their own 3D glasses which seem to be replicas of the X102s also made by XpanD, but these use the traditional and ubiquitous 2x CR2032 batteries, and are $40 cheaper!

ATi has just released their quad buffered drivers for iZ3D, who will support the 120Hz modes shortly. For now, the BETA "Shutter" Glasses mode in the iZ3D driver works like a treat but for performance issues, and of course, the dreaded sync inversion when the frame rate drops under 120FPS, as it only has access to dual buffers.

This will be a free mode for all ATi owners.

I have been having some problems with it. The manufacturer's responses are included.

[u][b]1st problem:[/b][/u]
In the native and advertised 3D mode of 1280x720p at 120Hz, the image is always stretched to fit a 16:10 profile of the native resolution (1280x800), which is VERY noticeable and detracts horribly from the whole S3D experience. There is absolutely no way to change it to 16:9 aspect ratio. Projector OSD menu only allows switching between 16:10 and 4:3 options, there is no 16:9 option.

[color="#00FF00"][b]Viewsonic Said:
<Vincent>
Regarding to aspect ratio this issue, we may have a deep thinking on why the native resolution on 3D mode is 1280x720 (16:10) but 1280x800 (16:9) this normal timing instead? As the main chip from TI, the current market scalar IC manufacturer hasn’t developed to 1080P caused by bandwidth limitation. Owing to 3D contents will be separated into double frame, the current bandwidth will be limited. Of course, double IC layout can solve this problem but related S/W and other side effects haven’t been solved yet. If we try to search the current 3D contents (up to 720P), you’ll figure out this is indeed a 3D technology limitation as now. Of course, maybe stepping into 2011, we’ll launch 1080P 3D supported projector soon based on IC provider’s product roadmap accordingly. At last, there should no problem to switch to 16:9 modes on this PJ except in 3D mode. Appreciate for your understanding again, and hope you enjoy the fun from 3D application, thank you![/b][/color]

Basically, what the engineer is saying is, the aspect ratio is a permanent problem because the scaler chipset they use can't do 16:9 at 120Hz from a 16:10 native. He is also saying that all 3D projectors of the current generation suffer from this issue. I would like a confirmation from other 1280x800 3D projector people please. When in 3D at 1280x720 at 120Hz, is the image impossible to scale to 16:9?

Why is scaling even needed? it's just a 1:1 pixel ratio.

1024x768 and 800x600 modes work flawlessly at 4:3 aspect ratio however, but if we were satisfied with that, there are plenty of other lower priced, higher lumen and better colour renditioning projectors to be had out there.

I have hacked the EDID keys and made a driver inf file using tools avaliable on the internet. I did manage to get 120Hz working at 1280x800 on VGA, but the picture was awful.

ViewSonic PJD6531w EDID Override.inf attached at bottom.

[b][u]2nd problem:[/u][/b]
In both the DLP link and 3D Vision 120Hz modes, the picture becomes far darker and loses contrast ratio significantly, than the standard non 120Hz modes. It also has a brownish tint. This is hard wired. Yes, there is ghosting, like with any shutter solution, some light is bound to seep through, but it is NOT very noticeable unless you look for it, and only on the brightest spots on a darkish scene.

It is annoying because traditionally, shutter glasses decrease the image brightness, hence all of us 3D lovers wanting the highest lumen possible to try and compensate for the issue. This 3000 lumen projector is the best on the market right now.

[color="#00FF00"][b]Viewsonic Said:
<Vincent>
The IC chipset of current DLP link type 3D projector on the market were adopt the same standard spec IC provided from Texas Instrument (TI), and in order to sync the 3D content stream in between graphic and PJ side will been taken along with 90 degree (90/360) of white + cyan colours picking from colour wheel. As a result of that, the brightness will be reduced 25% than standard mode. Yes, one of the advantages for DLP type PJ is no need to turn off the indoor light comprising with LCD type PJ. However, this is the current technology limitation on DLP type projector in 3D application from TI. Hope the customer could understand and usage as a LCD type PJ when in 3D mode, thank you![/b][/color]

Can anyone else confirm that in 3D at 120Hz, the image becomes darker, loses contrast, and has a brownish tint?

[u][b]Problem 3[/b][/u]

The firmware update instructions are wrong and the update tools don't work.
The latest firmware updates the projector to HDMI 1.4 compatibility from what I have heard. But, this can't actually be done due to the above reasons.
After connecting the projector to my netowrk, I looked up its F/W number which states that it is version 1.02. The one for download is 1.47. I tried to update following the instructions provided but the instructions are wrong in the order in which you have to do things.
Even after you do it in the correct sequence, the projector would also not automatically reboot, and even after the firmware update, the WebUI still shows the F/W as 1.02.

Another 3D gamer has complained to them about the same issue. After 3 weeks of banging his head against a brick wall, they said they would "investigate" the issue. No word yet. the tech support team has 0 knowledge of the 3D at all. You have to specifically ask to be put in contact with an engineer, and even then, the responses take a week, and are not clear, as you can see from above.

[u][b]
Problem 4[/b][/u]
Generally, the colours are Meh.
I have had far superior results on all my previous projectors: Compaq MP5100, Benq 720p, Dell 5100MP.

When working though, the S3D is truly jaw dropping. It's such a shame that some technical oversights in the 3D area prevent it from becoming something truly exceptional.

One of the other things I like is that the throw distance is shorter than any other projector that i have come across, minus actual short throw projectors. It means a much larger image in a bedroom than the vast majority of other projectors out there.

[u][b]Recap: [/b][/u]
Great 3D projector,
Great Price,
But the aspect ratio problem is a deal breaker.
[b][color="#FF0000"]
The first person who can help me fix the Aspect Ratio issue on my ATi card so that I can play all DX9,10,10.1,11 games at 1280x720p at 120Hz in 3D over HDMI, I will PayPal them $100 USD and post proof on the forum. If not, then if ATi devs get their butts in gear and fix the Refresh Rate issues when GPU Scaling is enabled, I will donate it to a charity. This deal is also posted on the Rage3D and ATi forums.[/color][/b] :D

-- Shahzad.
Hello 3D Vision,

As well as 3D vision, this projector natively supports the TI DLP Link, which works with anything as long as there is a page flipping image on the screen. Nothing needs to produce the sync signal as the projector does that itself. This means that an ATi card with the iZ3D driver is just as good, if not better.

One of the best things about the projector is that it supports the 3D modes over HDMI (DVI to HDMI Cable), instead of only over analogue as with other so called "3D Ready" projectors, which is a big bonus.

It's compatible with the XpanD X102 glasses (arguably the best 3D glasses on the market at present), but they use a proprietary battery. ViewSonic sell their own 3D glasses which seem to be replicas of the X102s also made by XpanD, but these use the traditional and ubiquitous 2x CR2032 batteries, and are $40 cheaper!

ATi has just released their quad buffered drivers for iZ3D, who will support the 120Hz modes shortly. For now, the BETA "Shutter" Glasses mode in the iZ3D driver works like a treat but for performance issues, and of course, the dreaded sync inversion when the frame rate drops under 120FPS, as it only has access to dual buffers.

This will be a free mode for all ATi owners.

I have been having some problems with it. The manufacturer's responses are included.

1st problem:

In the native and advertised 3D mode of 1280x720p at 120Hz, the image is always stretched to fit a 16:10 profile of the native resolution (1280x800), which is VERY noticeable and detracts horribly from the whole S3D experience. There is absolutely no way to change it to 16:9 aspect ratio. Projector OSD menu only allows switching between 16:10 and 4:3 options, there is no 16:9 option.

Viewsonic Said:

<Vincent>

Regarding to aspect ratio this issue, we may have a deep thinking on why the native resolution on 3D mode is 1280x720 (16:10) but 1280x800 (16:9) this normal timing instead? As the main chip from TI, the current market scalar IC manufacturer hasn’t developed to 1080P caused by bandwidth limitation. Owing to 3D contents will be separated into double frame, the current bandwidth will be limited. Of course, double IC layout can solve this problem but related S/W and other side effects haven’t been solved yet. If we try to search the current 3D contents (up to 720P), you’ll figure out this is indeed a 3D technology limitation as now. Of course, maybe stepping into 2011, we’ll launch 1080P 3D supported projector soon based on IC provider’s product roadmap accordingly. At last, there should no problem to switch to 16:9 modes on this PJ except in 3D mode. Appreciate for your understanding again, and hope you enjoy the fun from 3D application, thank you!

Basically, what the engineer is saying is, the aspect ratio is a permanent problem because the scaler chipset they use can't do 16:9 at 120Hz from a 16:10 native. He is also saying that all 3D projectors of the current generation suffer from this issue. I would like a confirmation from other 1280x800 3D projector people please. When in 3D at 1280x720 at 120Hz, is the image impossible to scale to 16:9?

Why is scaling even needed? it's just a 1:1 pixel ratio.

1024x768 and 800x600 modes work flawlessly at 4:3 aspect ratio however, but if we were satisfied with that, there are plenty of other lower priced, higher lumen and better colour renditioning projectors to be had out there.

I have hacked the EDID keys and made a driver inf file using tools avaliable on the internet. I did manage to get 120Hz working at 1280x800 on VGA, but the picture was awful.

ViewSonic PJD6531w EDID Override.inf attached at bottom.

2nd problem:

In both the DLP link and 3D Vision 120Hz modes, the picture becomes far darker and loses contrast ratio significantly, than the standard non 120Hz modes. It also has a brownish tint. This is hard wired. Yes, there is ghosting, like with any shutter solution, some light is bound to seep through, but it is NOT very noticeable unless you look for it, and only on the brightest spots on a darkish scene.

It is annoying because traditionally, shutter glasses decrease the image brightness, hence all of us 3D lovers wanting the highest lumen possible to try and compensate for the issue. This 3000 lumen projector is the best on the market right now.

Viewsonic Said:

<Vincent>

The IC chipset of current DLP link type 3D projector on the market were adopt the same standard spec IC provided from Texas Instrument (TI), and in order to sync the 3D content stream in between graphic and PJ side will been taken along with 90 degree (90/360) of white + cyan colours picking from colour wheel. As a result of that, the brightness will be reduced 25% than standard mode. Yes, one of the advantages for DLP type PJ is no need to turn off the indoor light comprising with LCD type PJ. However, this is the current technology limitation on DLP type projector in 3D application from TI. Hope the customer could understand and usage as a LCD type PJ when in 3D mode, thank you!

Can anyone else confirm that in 3D at 120Hz, the image becomes darker, loses contrast, and has a brownish tint?

Problem 3

The firmware update instructions are wrong and the update tools don't work.

The latest firmware updates the projector to HDMI 1.4 compatibility from what I have heard. But, this can't actually be done due to the above reasons.

After connecting the projector to my netowrk, I looked up its F/W number which states that it is version 1.02. The one for download is 1.47. I tried to update following the instructions provided but the instructions are wrong in the order in which you have to do things.

Even after you do it in the correct sequence, the projector would also not automatically reboot, and even after the firmware update, the WebUI still shows the F/W as 1.02.

Another 3D gamer has complained to them about the same issue. After 3 weeks of banging his head against a brick wall, they said they would "investigate" the issue. No word yet. the tech support team has 0 knowledge of the 3D at all. You have to specifically ask to be put in contact with an engineer, and even then, the responses take a week, and are not clear, as you can see from above.

Problem 4

Generally, the colours are Meh.

I have had far superior results on all my previous projectors: Compaq MP5100, Benq 720p, Dell 5100MP.

When working though, the S3D is truly jaw dropping. It's such a shame that some technical oversights in the 3D area prevent it from becoming something truly exceptional.

One of the other things I like is that the throw distance is shorter than any other projector that i have come across, minus actual short throw projectors. It means a much larger image in a bedroom than the vast majority of other projectors out there.

Recap:

Great 3D projector,

Great Price,

But the aspect ratio problem is a deal breaker.

The first person who can help me fix the Aspect Ratio issue on my ATi card so that I can play all DX9,10,10.1,11 games at 1280x720p at 120Hz in 3D over HDMI, I will PayPal them $100 USD and post proof on the forum. If not, then if ATi devs get their butts in gear and fix the Refresh Rate issues when GPU Scaling is enabled, I will donate it to a charity. This deal is also posted on the Rage3D and ATi forums.
:D

-- Shahzad.

i7 920 @ 4GHz, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX 670 4GB SLI @ +17% OC, Quad-SSD RevoDrive3 x2 240GB, 10x 15Krpm U320 SCSI RAID0 @ PCIe x4, Modded X-Fi, Dual 1000W PSUs, 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE, Sennheiser HD650, 2x Revelators, 2x ED glasses, 2x nVidia 3D Vision, DLP Link PGD-150, with CRT, 3D Projector, and iZ3D Monitor.

Posted 06/15/2010 04:10 AM   
how well does your crossfire work? ever log the gpu usage?
how well does your crossfire work? ever log the gpu usage?

System:

Intel I7 920 overclocked to 4ghz

Asus Rampage Extreme II

2 Ge-force 480 in SLI

GTX 295 PhysX Card

12gb ddr3 2000mhz ram

Intel SSD in RAID 0

BR RW

1000w Sony surround sound

NVIDIA 3D Vision

3d displays tested:

Mitsubishi 65" DLP 3d HDTV (good old 1080p checkerboard since 2007!!!)

Panasonic VT25 (nice 2d but I returned it due to cross talk)

Acer H5360 720p on 130" screen (the best 3d)

23" Acer LCD monitor (horrible cross talk- sold it)

Samsung 65D8000

Posted 06/15/2010 03:33 PM   
iZ3D Crossfire/SLi support is still beta.

In the upcoming drivers, it should work quite well.

The way that iZ3D works, both GPUs get used the same amount, but both are doing the same thing when it's not working, so impossible to tell.

-- Shahzad.
iZ3D Crossfire/SLi support is still beta.

In the upcoming drivers, it should work quite well.

The way that iZ3D works, both GPUs get used the same amount, but both are doing the same thing when it's not working, so impossible to tell.

-- Shahzad.

i7 920 @ 4GHz, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX 670 4GB SLI @ +17% OC, Quad-SSD RevoDrive3 x2 240GB, 10x 15Krpm U320 SCSI RAID0 @ PCIe x4, Modded X-Fi, Dual 1000W PSUs, 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE, Sennheiser HD650, 2x Revelators, 2x ED glasses, 2x nVidia 3D Vision, DLP Link PGD-150, with CRT, 3D Projector, and iZ3D Monitor.

Posted 06/15/2010 04:37 PM   
Have you gotten anywhere further with this? I was reading your post when at Fry's deciding if I should get this or not. I did, and had same issues with firmware update. Trying with Viewsonic support now.

I did get 3D to work, and it appears to be the correct aspect (for Blu-ray). Cyberlink refused to play 3D BD, but it did 2D-3D conversion. Arcsoft TMT played MvA with no ghosting, looked awesome. Seemed as bright as it should be. I noticed if I set the pj for 1280x800 at 120Hz, it did look dim & brown. I think this is a mistake, and the modes are not running correctly.

The problem appears to be that the Nvidia card sees 1280x800 and thinks, "no 3D for you." When I used an Acer pj .inf file, the 3D turns on when it's supposed to. It appears the 3D Vision driver switches modes somehow.

Viewsonic claims they should get back to me today or tomorrow about the firmware.

Steve
Have you gotten anywhere further with this? I was reading your post when at Fry's deciding if I should get this or not. I did, and had same issues with firmware update. Trying with Viewsonic support now.

I did get 3D to work, and it appears to be the correct aspect (for Blu-ray). Cyberlink refused to play 3D BD, but it did 2D-3D conversion. Arcsoft TMT played MvA with no ghosting, looked awesome. Seemed as bright as it should be. I noticed if I set the pj for 1280x800 at 120Hz, it did look dim & brown. I think this is a mistake, and the modes are not running correctly.

The problem appears to be that the Nvidia card sees 1280x800 and thinks, "no 3D for you." When I used an Acer pj .inf file, the 3D turns on when it's supposed to. It appears the 3D Vision driver switches modes somehow.

Viewsonic claims they should get back to me today or tomorrow about the firmware.

Steve

Posted 06/16/2010 08:46 PM   
If they can get the image to be a proper 16:9' then I will be happy. The projector is bright, and the 3D is superb. It's just not scaled correctly. Circles are slightly vertically elongated. The image looks great, only if I could get it to fit into 16:9. The tech suggested 1920x1080 would provide the desired aspect, but it looked the same as 1280x720.
If they can get the image to be a proper 16:9' then I will be happy. The projector is bright, and the 3D is superb. It's just not scaled correctly. Circles are slightly vertically elongated. The image looks great, only if I could get it to fit into 16:9. The tech suggested 1920x1080 would provide the desired aspect, but it looked the same as 1280x720.

Posted 06/17/2010 05:45 AM   
Evidently, Nvidia has removed this projector from their list of supported output devices on the website. A driver fix would be nicer...
Evidently, Nvidia has removed this projector from their list of supported output devices on the website. A driver fix would be nicer...

Posted 06/29/2010 09:39 PM   

Posted 06/29/2010 09:39 PM   
[quote name='steve321' post='1080135' date='Jun 29 2010, 02:39 PM']Evidently, Nvidia has removed this projector from their list of supported output devices on the website. A driver fix would be nicer...[/quote]

This was a typo which will be corrected in the next day or so. The projector is still mentioned in the release highlights for today's 258.69 beta driver:

"Fixed a problem with CD 1.29 (v257.21) the ViewSonic PJD 6531w not being detected by the 3D Vision Setup Wizard. See KB Article 2653 for a description of the problem with CD 1.29"
[quote name='steve321' post='1080135' date='Jun 29 2010, 02:39 PM']Evidently, Nvidia has removed this projector from their list of supported output devices on the website. A driver fix would be nicer...

This was a typo which will be corrected in the next day or so. The projector is still mentioned in the release highlights for today's 258.69 beta driver:

"Fixed a problem with CD 1.29 (v257.21) the ViewSonic PJD 6531w not being detected by the 3D Vision Setup Wizard. See KB Article 2653 for a description of the problem with CD 1.29"

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 06/29/2010 11:21 PM   
[quote name='steve321' post='1080135' date='Jun 29 2010, 02:39 PM']Evidently, Nvidia has removed this projector from their list of supported output devices on the website. A driver fix would be nicer...[/quote]

[quote name='steve321' post='1080135' date='Jun 29 2010, 02:39 PM']Evidently, Nvidia has removed this projector from their list of supported output devices on the website. A driver fix would be nicer...

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 06/29/2010 11:21 PM   
The beta driver does seem to detect the projector correctly (no message). Still can't get 1280x800@120Hz working though...
The beta driver does seem to detect the projector correctly (no message). Still can't get 1280x800@120Hz working though...

Posted 06/30/2010 10:54 PM   

Posted 06/30/2010 10:54 PM   
That projector internally scales to 1280x800, it doesn't accept that as an input signal.

Look at the compatibility specs:

[url="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pjd6531w.htm"]http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pjd6531w.htm[/url]

Video NTSC M (3.58 MHz), 4.43MHz, PAL (B, D, G, H, I, M, N, 60), SD 480i and 576i (24fps, 25fps and 30fps), ED 480p and 576p (24fps, 25fps and 30fps), HD 720p, 1080i and 1080p (24fps, 25pfs and 30fps)
That projector internally scales to 1280x800, it doesn't accept that as an input signal.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pjd6531w.htm

Video NTSC M (3.58 MHz), 4.43MHz, PAL (B, D, G, H, I, M, N, 60), SD 480i and 576i (24fps, 25fps and 30fps), ED 480p and 576p (24fps, 25fps and 30fps), HD 720p, 1080i and 1080p (24fps, 25pfs and 30fps)

Posted 07/01/2010 02:12 AM   

[url="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pjd6531w.htm"]http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pjd6531w.htm[/url]

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pjd6531w.htm

Posted 07/01/2010 02:12 AM   
"That projector internally scales to 1280x800, it doesn't accept that as an input signal."

Well that's what I thought too. 1280x800 is its native resolution. Turns out this projector does do 1280x800@120Hz. The drivers supplied do not reflect that, but it does indeed do it. I finally pulled some pins, and hooked up a DVI->VGA adapter to the PJ. With the modified inf file, it can be made to run at 1280x800@120. The brightness decrease is the same as 1280x720@120. The only issue now is, since the EDID is not available, 3D Vision will only detect it as a Standard CRT. This evidently plays the frames in a reverse order, as the upside-down glasses method is needed as with the Optoma.

It works now with the beta 3D vision drivers in 720p, and also with the Acer inf @ 720p. The issue is when running 720p, everything is vertically scaled. This is not the case in 1280x800. So whether the PJ is scaling or whatnot, I want to run it at that resolution, with the correct eyes. The projector does this mode, but refuses to over HDMI, as it is not provided as a valid mode.

Again, for sure, this projector WILL run at 1280x800@120Hz, and I took a photo of the PJ setup menu confirming it. This only will happen right now over VGA, with the modified adapter. Certainly this mode can be written into the display drivers, and included in the 3D Vision setup wizard. Since 3D Vision thinks it's a CRT monitor, it doesn't really care what signal it's sending out. I want a way to override this, and all will be well.
"That projector internally scales to 1280x800, it doesn't accept that as an input signal."

Well that's what I thought too. 1280x800 is its native resolution. Turns out this projector does do 1280x800@120Hz. The drivers supplied do not reflect that, but it does indeed do it. I finally pulled some pins, and hooked up a DVI->VGA adapter to the PJ. With the modified inf file, it can be made to run at 1280x800@120. The brightness decrease is the same as 1280x720@120. The only issue now is, since the EDID is not available, 3D Vision will only detect it as a Standard CRT. This evidently plays the frames in a reverse order, as the upside-down glasses method is needed as with the Optoma.

It works now with the beta 3D vision drivers in 720p, and also with the Acer inf @ 720p. The issue is when running 720p, everything is vertically scaled. This is not the case in 1280x800. So whether the PJ is scaling or whatnot, I want to run it at that resolution, with the correct eyes. The projector does this mode, but refuses to over HDMI, as it is not provided as a valid mode.

Again, for sure, this projector WILL run at 1280x800@120Hz, and I took a photo of the PJ setup menu confirming it. This only will happen right now over VGA, with the modified adapter. Certainly this mode can be written into the display drivers, and included in the 3D Vision setup wizard. Since 3D Vision thinks it's a CRT monitor, it doesn't really care what signal it's sending out. I want a way to override this, and all will be well.

Posted 07/01/2010 02:38 AM   

Posted 07/01/2010 02:38 AM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top