GTX 480 Died kind of!
Hoping someone can help here... Just installed my new Zotac GTX480 along with my new Hi-power 800W modular PSU on an existing gigabyte GA-G33M S2 mobo. Since installing I have had numerous screen freezes, the longest without freezing is about 30mins, has done this 5 or 6 times in a couple of hours, so I have installed the latest beta driver as some folks have reported that has helped their freezing but no difference. The max temp it reached under load was 86 degrees according to the zotac monitoring system and there is a case fan pretty close to it so pretty sure it cant be getting too hot and the system keeps going after the freeze so its not restarting which makes me think the PSU is OK which is the only other new part in the system. The last time it froze I thought it was dead as the system wouldnt post at all on restart so I took it out and put in my old card and everything worked as normal. So just to check I reinstalled the 480 and it posts now but crashes within a few seconds of start up which is very fishy! Fan is still spinning away though so it shouldnt be over heating.

Im suspecting its a faulty card as it has been freezing from the start and now pretty much dead. My only concern was after I ordered the PSU I noticed the 12V specs were 4 sets of 20A max not the 42A required by Nvidia but upon further reading on various forums I gather its just my 12V rail has been split into 4 ouptuts so it is actually something close to 80A - is this correct? I have also taken the 6 pin from one output and the 8 pin from another to spread the load.

Does anyone agree that it sounds like a faulty card and an RMA job or is it perhaps something I've done to break it! The system is a bog standard Q6600 / 6GB RAM / 1 HD running vista business 64bit so not too much of a power draw there.

Many thanks for your help on this.

Rob

EDIT: Ok I let it settle for a good half hour reconnected the cables and tried again and Im up and running. No doubt it will happen again but for now after 10mins its OK. Just looked in the box again which reminded me that it came with a 2 x 6pin to 8pin splitter so might have a go at connecting a third cable to the psu and have in effect 3 x 6pin connectors to spread the load more across the PSU - is that an advisable option?
Hoping someone can help here... Just installed my new Zotac GTX480 along with my new Hi-power 800W modular PSU on an existing gigabyte GA-G33M S2 mobo. Since installing I have had numerous screen freezes, the longest without freezing is about 30mins, has done this 5 or 6 times in a couple of hours, so I have installed the latest beta driver as some folks have reported that has helped their freezing but no difference. The max temp it reached under load was 86 degrees according to the zotac monitoring system and there is a case fan pretty close to it so pretty sure it cant be getting too hot and the system keeps going after the freeze so its not restarting which makes me think the PSU is OK which is the only other new part in the system. The last time it froze I thought it was dead as the system wouldnt post at all on restart so I took it out and put in my old card and everything worked as normal. So just to check I reinstalled the 480 and it posts now but crashes within a few seconds of start up which is very fishy! Fan is still spinning away though so it shouldnt be over heating.

Im suspecting its a faulty card as it has been freezing from the start and now pretty much dead. My only concern was after I ordered the PSU I noticed the 12V specs were 4 sets of 20A max not the 42A required by Nvidia but upon further reading on various forums I gather its just my 12V rail has been split into 4 ouptuts so it is actually something close to 80A - is this correct? I have also taken the 6 pin from one output and the 8 pin from another to spread the load.

Does anyone agree that it sounds like a faulty card and an RMA job or is it perhaps something I've done to break it! The system is a bog standard Q6600 / 6GB RAM / 1 HD running vista business 64bit so not too much of a power draw there.

Many thanks for your help on this.

Rob

EDIT: Ok I let it settle for a good half hour reconnected the cables and tried again and Im up and running. No doubt it will happen again but for now after 10mins its OK. Just looked in the box again which reminded me that it came with a 2 x 6pin to 8pin splitter so might have a go at connecting a third cable to the psu and have in effect 3 x 6pin connectors to spread the load more across the PSU - is that an advisable option?

Posted 06/13/2010 01:40 PM   
You are correct about the 12v rails. It does not have the proper set-up to provide enough power to your card. So in short, you need to get a new PSU.
You are correct about the 12v rails. It does not have the proper set-up to provide enough power to your card. So in short, you need to get a new PSU.

Posted 06/13/2010 07:52 PM   
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1072895' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:52 PM']You are correct about the 12v rails. It does not have the proper set-up to provide enough power to your card. So in short, you need to get a new PSU.[/quote]

Hmm thanks for your reply. Perhaps it might help if I attach a third cable from a 20A slot via the splitter so I will be accesing 3x20A? I bow to your superior knowledge on this but cant help thinking if it was a lack of power I would be seing more system restarts under load. At the moment it can freeze after a few seconds from cold or go under load for an hour no probs. My current thinking is either a dodgy cable connection or the PCI-E slot?
[quote name='DJNOOB' post='1072895' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:52 PM']You are correct about the 12v rails. It does not have the proper set-up to provide enough power to your card. So in short, you need to get a new PSU.

Hmm thanks for your reply. Perhaps it might help if I attach a third cable from a 20A slot via the splitter so I will be accesing 3x20A? I bow to your superior knowledge on this but cant help thinking if it was a lack of power I would be seing more system restarts under load. At the moment it can freeze after a few seconds from cold or go under load for an hour no probs. My current thinking is either a dodgy cable connection or the PCI-E slot?

Posted 06/14/2010 08:20 AM   
No! You do not want to do that. When you start splitting things like that what you end up with is dirty power becuase of the split. That is only going to result in instability.

Sorry man, it's not the answer you want to hear but you do need a better PSU.
No! You do not want to do that. When you start splitting things like that what you end up with is dirty power becuase of the split. That is only going to result in instability.

Sorry man, it's not the answer you want to hear but you do need a better PSU.

Posted 06/14/2010 08:26 AM   
Just an update and turns out it was the 480 that was playing up. Bought a corsair 850tx PSU and still the same freezing behaviour so managed to put the card in my work machine along with the Corsair PSU and same story, so the only constant was the 480. RMAing the card but bit annoying as im going to have to send the corsair PSU back and it weighs a ton so postage is going to be pretty steep!
Just an update and turns out it was the 480 that was playing up. Bought a corsair 850tx PSU and still the same freezing behaviour so managed to put the card in my work machine along with the Corsair PSU and same story, so the only constant was the 480. RMAing the card but bit annoying as im going to have to send the corsair PSU back and it weighs a ton so postage is going to be pretty steep!

Posted 07/01/2010 12:14 PM   

Posted 07/01/2010 12:14 PM   
[quote name='robrhodes' post='1081029' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:14 PM']Just an update and turns out it was the 480 that was playing up. Bought a corsair 850tx PSU and still the same freezing behaviour so managed to put the card in my work machine along with the Corsair PSU and same story, so the only constant was the 480. RMAing the card but bit annoying as im going to have to send the corsair PSU back and it weighs a ton so postage is going to be pretty steep![/quote]

To be honest I would keep the new PSu and use that from now on.

The corsairs have alot more stuff built in to run the working 480 when you get it back probably more stable than the "hipower" PSU. I would treat the hipower as a spare or a free upgrade (till you need it) for a frined or family members machine!

I've just seen this week how 2 no name brands cause nothing but issues and soon as you plonk in a Corsiar a machine thats goes from totally unstable sits and purrs!

A corsair PSU is never a waste of cash ;)
[quote name='robrhodes' post='1081029' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:14 PM']Just an update and turns out it was the 480 that was playing up. Bought a corsair 850tx PSU and still the same freezing behaviour so managed to put the card in my work machine along with the Corsair PSU and same story, so the only constant was the 480. RMAing the card but bit annoying as im going to have to send the corsair PSU back and it weighs a ton so postage is going to be pretty steep!

The corsairs have alot more stuff built in to run the working 480 when you get it back probably more stable than the "hipower" PSU. I would treat the hipower as a spare or a free upgrade (till you need it) for a frined or family members machine!

I've just seen this week how 2 no name brands cause nothing but issues and soon as you plonk in a Corsiar a machine thats goes from totally unstable sits and purrs!

3D RIG:I7 2600k 4.9 Ghz, P8P67 PRO, Fort02 SE, MSi GTX 680 2GB, 4GB DDR3, 60GB Vertex 2E SSD (W7 64 Boot) OCZ Revo 2 x2 PCIE SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1.

2D: MSi 6970 2GB-QX9650-160GB SSD-TJ109. DISPLAYS:2D 120" 21:9 100HZ DLP 0.1MS, 3D 50" 400HZ Passive 0.5 MS 3D LED - 24" 120HZ 2MS Active N3D LCD, all 1080p

Posted 07/01/2010 03:55 PM   
[quote name='robrhodes' post='1081029' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:14 PM']Just an update and turns out it was the 480 that was playing up. Bought a corsair 850tx PSU and still the same freezing behaviour so managed to put the card in my work machine along with the Corsair PSU and same story, so the only constant was the 480. RMAing the card but bit annoying as im going to have to send the corsair PSU back and it weighs a ton so postage is going to be pretty steep![/quote]

[quote name='robrhodes' post='1081029' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:14 PM']Just an update and turns out it was the 480 that was playing up. Bought a corsair 850tx PSU and still the same freezing behaviour so managed to put the card in my work machine along with the Corsair PSU and same story, so the only constant was the 480. RMAing the card but bit annoying as im going to have to send the corsair PSU back and it weighs a ton so postage is going to be pretty steep!

3D RIG:I7 2600k 4.9 Ghz, P8P67 PRO, Fort02 SE, MSi GTX 680 2GB, 4GB DDR3, 60GB Vertex 2E SSD (W7 64 Boot) OCZ Revo 2 x2 PCIE SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1.

2D: MSi 6970 2GB-QX9650-160GB SSD-TJ109. DISPLAYS:2D 120" 21:9 100HZ DLP 0.1MS, 3D 50" 400HZ Passive 0.5 MS 3D LED - 24" 120HZ 2MS Active N3D LCD, all 1080p

Posted 07/01/2010 03:55 PM   
If your looking for a new PSU I would get the PC power & Cooling Silencer 950 MK II . I sent mine out for RMA because it could have been the cause of the problem I was having. It ended up not being the PSU but my vifeo cards. I was running 2 Sapphire 5850 Xtreme's, but I was phoned by PC Power & cooling tech while he was running the tests and said the PSU was fine. He asked me if I wanted mine back or a newly refurbished, I wanted mine back. Anyways after it was returned I was going through thee Certified Test results and it shows that this 950 MK II which is really a 1000W by the specs could pust a max of 115 Amps for 1 hour and had a 90.98% efficiency. When I purchaced the PSU I thought I was buying a 950W but ended up with 1000W (specs on the box) and after having it tested could push 1380 watts at over 90% efficency, I think that is the best deal I have ever got considering I bought a PSU for $139.99 with regular price of $249.99 and could power 1380 Watts at over 90%. To go out and buy a PSU with the same specs as this 950MK II has would be $400 to $500 for $139.99 with a Gold rating. SO I would recommend PC power & Cooling over any other PSU made today. But to get back to your PSU I had problems like that with my GTX 7900 way back when and having 4 rails @ 20A each wasnt enough for the 7900 let alone a power hog like the GTX 480. I doent think a video card has ever been make that sucks more power then a GTX 480, and to boot up that card ho knows I know it takes 25 Amps to boot up the 7900. If I were you I would start with reseating the card and if that didnt work try another slot and if that didnt work I would start RMA on PSU and the Video card.
If your looking for a new PSU I would get the PC power & Cooling Silencer 950 MK II . I sent mine out for RMA because it could have been the cause of the problem I was having. It ended up not being the PSU but my vifeo cards. I was running 2 Sapphire 5850 Xtreme's, but I was phoned by PC Power & cooling tech while he was running the tests and said the PSU was fine. He asked me if I wanted mine back or a newly refurbished, I wanted mine back. Anyways after it was returned I was going through thee Certified Test results and it shows that this 950 MK II which is really a 1000W by the specs could pust a max of 115 Amps for 1 hour and had a 90.98% efficiency. When I purchaced the PSU I thought I was buying a 950W but ended up with 1000W (specs on the box) and after having it tested could push 1380 watts at over 90% efficency, I think that is the best deal I have ever got considering I bought a PSU for $139.99 with regular price of $249.99 and could power 1380 Watts at over 90%. To go out and buy a PSU with the same specs as this 950MK II has would be $400 to $500 for $139.99 with a Gold rating. SO I would recommend PC power & Cooling over any other PSU made today. But to get back to your PSU I had problems like that with my GTX 7900 way back when and having 4 rails @ 20A each wasnt enough for the 7900 let alone a power hog like the GTX 480. I doent think a video card has ever been make that sucks more power then a GTX 480, and to boot up that card ho knows I know it takes 25 Amps to boot up the 7900. If I were you I would start with reseating the card and if that didnt work try another slot and if that didnt work I would start RMA on PSU and the Video card.

Posted 10/07/2011 02:08 AM   
Scroll To Top