Best temperature + fan speed monitoring software for the GTX 480?
Hi guys,

Just received my 480 yesterday, have hardly had a chance to test it yet but will do over the weekend. After reading all about Fermi's temps I'm interested to see how mine's doing. I know there are a ton of programs out there that give you this information but was wondering which you felt was best?

At this stage I don't want to alter any settings for the fan (or anything else) I just want to see what the temp is and fan speed.

I have also read that sometimes these monitoring programs interfere with the card's settings (unintentionally) and I really don't want anything like that going on!

Just something nice and simple that's 100% safe and with a clean interface would be great. I assume there's no way to view the temps and fan speed in the nVidia Control panel in a similar way to how you an with ATI's CCC?

I tried nVidia's 'system monitor' but it looked pretty nasty and the monitor itself didn't seem to display the GPU temps. Maybe I should have just installed the 'performace tools' and looked there but I def don't want to be messing with any overclocking or anything.

Thanks for the advice,

Rob
Hi guys,

Just received my 480 yesterday, have hardly had a chance to test it yet but will do over the weekend. After reading all about Fermi's temps I'm interested to see how mine's doing. I know there are a ton of programs out there that give you this information but was wondering which you felt was best?

At this stage I don't want to alter any settings for the fan (or anything else) I just want to see what the temp is and fan speed.

I have also read that sometimes these monitoring programs interfere with the card's settings (unintentionally) and I really don't want anything like that going on!

Just something nice and simple that's 100% safe and with a clean interface would be great. I assume there's no way to view the temps and fan speed in the nVidia Control panel in a similar way to how you an with ATI's CCC?

I tried nVidia's 'system monitor' but it looked pretty nasty and the monitor itself didn't seem to display the GPU temps. Maybe I should have just installed the 'performace tools' and looked there but I def don't want to be messing with any overclocking or anything.

Thanks for the advice,

Rob

Posted 06/11/2010 12:08 AM   
Anyone?
Anyone?

Posted 06/11/2010 07:31 PM   
I prefer [url="http://www.evga.com/precision/"]Evga Precision[/url].
I prefer Evga Precision.

[indent]Image

[/indent]
Core i7 920@3850MHz_Corsair H-50 Water Cooler_EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1_1xEVGA GTX480 @825.1650.2000_3x2Gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20-1T

2x74Gb WD Raptor/RAID0-Windows7 _1x250Gb Seagate 7200.10_Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200w Modular PSU_Coolermaster Cosmos S

Vantage-22876, w/Physx-25636--3DMark06-24844

Posted 06/11/2010 07:57 PM   
no program is 100% safe.

avoid ntune.

try EVGA precision or MSI afterburner for clean interface and ease of use.

afterburner allows you to set custom fan profiles.

i advise you to run the fan as high as you can bear without the sound annoying you, this lengthens the lifespan of your graphics card.
no program is 100% safe.

avoid ntune.

try EVGA precision or MSI afterburner for clean interface and ease of use.

afterburner allows you to set custom fan profiles.

i advise you to run the fan as high as you can bear without the sound annoying you, this lengthens the lifespan of your graphics card.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 06/11/2010 07:58 PM   
Thanks for the replies guys.

If it was 100% safe I would set the fan profiles higher (although I have a huge case with 6 fans I'd rather know though that the card is nice and cool at all times) but for now all I want to do is just see what the temps are without *any* risk of the monitoring program interfering with the card.

Will take a look at the two you recommend.

Cheers,

Rob
Thanks for the replies guys.

If it was 100% safe I would set the fan profiles higher (although I have a huge case with 6 fans I'd rather know though that the card is nice and cool at all times) but for now all I want to do is just see what the temps are without *any* risk of the monitoring program interfering with the card.

Cheers,

Rob

Posted 06/11/2010 10:49 PM   
One thing to note, there is a bug with the current beta drivers and programs such as precision and msi afterburner. The bug can cause games to stutter a bit if you are running those applications at the same time. I imagine that this will get fixed with the next driver release.
One thing to note, there is a bug with the current beta drivers and programs such as precision and msi afterburner. The bug can cause games to stutter a bit if you are running those applications at the same time. I imagine that this will get fixed with the next driver release.

Posted 06/11/2010 10:54 PM   
[quote name='RGS' post='1072078' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:49 PM']Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers,

Rob[/quote]

mate, what i meant was no program in the world is 100% safe. its MORE safe to speed your fan up than it is to leave it at default settings, and its MORE safe to always monitor the temperature of your graphics card.
[quote name='RGS' post='1072078' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:49 PM']Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers,

Rob

mate, what i meant was no program in the world is 100% safe. its MORE safe to speed your fan up than it is to leave it at default settings, and its MORE safe to always monitor the temperature of your graphics card.

_ NVLDDMKM problems_ | _ problems getting a driver for a laptop graphics card_ | _What PSU do I need?_

[quote name='The Professor' date='11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1313055223' post='1277858']

I think Qazax is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Posted 06/11/2010 11:15 PM   
I just got the Zotac 480 which comes with a 5 year warranty, last thing I want to do is use a program to increase the fan speeds then to find that at some point later on new drivers interfere with it and screw something up and my card burns out.

I'd also imagine that using this software to adjust the fan speeds (even if to protect the hardware) stands a decent chance of voiding the warranty.

In theory I *should* be ok heat-wise with my case and so on, but I'd like to know what the temps are anyway (just in case!).

I take it if I install MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision I can just view the temps without any risk of anything going awry? Is GPU-Z any good for a pure and simple temp monitor?

Cheers guys, sorry if I sound a bit paranoid about stuff screwing up, I've just had a really bad run of luck with my PC recently and don't want to take any chances!

Rob
I just got the Zotac 480 which comes with a 5 year warranty, last thing I want to do is use a program to increase the fan speeds then to find that at some point later on new drivers interfere with it and screw something up and my card burns out.

I'd also imagine that using this software to adjust the fan speeds (even if to protect the hardware) stands a decent chance of voiding the warranty.

In theory I *should* be ok heat-wise with my case and so on, but I'd like to know what the temps are anyway (just in case!).

I take it if I install MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision I can just view the temps without any risk of anything going awry? Is GPU-Z any good for a pure and simple temp monitor?

Cheers guys, sorry if I sound a bit paranoid about stuff screwing up, I've just had a really bad run of luck with my PC recently and don't want to take any chances!

Rob

Posted 06/12/2010 05:29 PM   
I never heard about adjusting fan speeds voiding warranties. Personally, I think the stock "auto" settings for the Fermi cards reacts too slow to temp rises. I use MSI Afterburner to set my own fan profile so it speeds up faster and keeps the card cooler. I don't generally run over 75C anymore. Before I did this, my GTX 470 was hitting 88C with stock "auto" fan. Not very good.

Kevin
I never heard about adjusting fan speeds voiding warranties. Personally, I think the stock "auto" settings for the Fermi cards reacts too slow to temp rises. I use MSI Afterburner to set my own fan profile so it speeds up faster and keeps the card cooler. I don't generally run over 75C anymore. Before I did this, my GTX 470 was hitting 88C with stock "auto" fan. Not very good.

Kevin

Posted 06/12/2010 09:57 PM   
Cheers Kevin,

I will look into it, I don't mind a bit of extra noise if it means keeping the card cooler, I just worry about something going wrong and it not playing quite as it should.

What settings do you have for your fan profile for the 470?

Also is GPU-Z a decent/safe tool for purely monitoring the temps?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Annoyingly I noticed this in the latest certified driver release notes:

'GPU Temperature Monitoring
Temperature monitoring is no longer supported in the default GPU driver control
panel. This feature is available in the NVIDIA System Tools software, which you can
download from NVIDIA.com'.

Would have been nice to just have it there and integrated. The system tools, at least the monitoring ones (with the 3D display) looked awful.
Cheers Kevin,

I will look into it, I don't mind a bit of extra noise if it means keeping the card cooler, I just worry about something going wrong and it not playing quite as it should.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Annoyingly I noticed this in the latest certified driver release notes:

'GPU Temperature Monitoring

Temperature monitoring is no longer supported in the default GPU driver control

panel. This feature is available in the NVIDIA System Tools software, which you can

download from NVIDIA.com'.

Would have been nice to just have it there and integrated. The system tools, at least the monitoring ones (with the 3D display) looked awful.

Posted 06/13/2010 12:39 AM   
chance of something going wrong and the card breaking/getting damaged is HIGHER if you leave the fan on auto

raising the fan speed DOESNT void the warranty at all and is the safest option (combined with always monitoring your card temps) that you can do.

i would pick up everest home edition and enable the desktop gadget so you always have temps on your desktop.
chance of something going wrong and the card breaking/getting damaged is HIGHER if you leave the fan on auto

raising the fan speed DOESNT void the warranty at all and is the safest option (combined with always monitoring your card temps) that you can do.

i would pick up everest home edition and enable the desktop gadget so you always have temps on your desktop.

Posted 06/13/2010 01:57 PM   
[quote name='RGS' post='1072577' date='Jun 12 2010, 05:39 PM']Cheers Kevin,

Thanks.[/quote]

So, using MSI Afterburner, my fan profile is as follows,

40% fan @ 40C and below
60% fan @ 60C and below
100% fan @ 85C and above

I have as yet to get to 85C, generally mid 70's.

GPU-Z is a good tool for looking at different aspects of your video card. I use the MSI Afterburner for monitoring though. I don't like the monitoring software from nvidia.

Kevin
[quote name='RGS' post='1072577' date='Jun 12 2010, 05:39 PM']Cheers Kevin,

Thanks.

So, using MSI Afterburner, my fan profile is as follows,

40% fan @ 40C and below

60% fan @ 60C and below

100% fan @ 85C and above

I have as yet to get to 85C, generally mid 70's.

GPU-Z is a good tool for looking at different aspects of your video card. I use the MSI Afterburner for monitoring though. I don't like the monitoring software from nvidia.

Kevin

Posted 06/14/2010 11:03 PM   
Scroll To Top