GTX 480 Artifacts/Crashes during games/stability tests
I have just got this computer delivered as a customer build. It had a GTX480 and windows7 ultimate 64 on it. Since the beginning the only game i can get to run 100% is metro 2033 which runs flawlessly. Just about every other game I try though was either crashing or glitching out badly, artifacing, hangs, crashes, wierd texturing etc

I figured this was a driver issue and have tried on multiple occasions with latest and older drivers, current being 197.75
i have wiped, updated drivers multiple times, reformatted windows and updated again and again, no res

I also tried windows vista 64, reformatted, updated, using 197.75, same issues

also oddly i ran the [b]NTune stability test [/b]and it [b]failed and crashed during the first 1-2 minutes of testing, [/b]giving me a very generic and unhelpful message stateting:

[i]"Too many errors occured, which indicates a serious problem from which we cannot recover. The application must close.

Please visit [url="http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html[/url] for help"[/i]

So I know I have a "serious problem" but I wish I had a clue where it would be. All these components are new to me so it could be anything. Graphics card, drivers, motherboard, cpu, psu. I have no clue. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. If you are having the same or similar issues please reply as well.

[b]Ok so here are the things that i have tried already:[/b]

*Windows7 64
*windows vista 64
*all combos of drivers
*reinstalling games
*over-clocking, under-clocking and system defaults
*monitored temps and they are not too hot

[b]Here are my sytem specs:[/b]

[b]Case[/b] (NZXT Alpha Gaming Case - Black)
[b]Processor[/b] ([== Six Core ==] AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1090T Black Edition Six-Core CPU)
[b]Processor Cooling [/b](Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator (AMD))
[b]Memory [/b](8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - A-DATA Gaming Series)
[b]Video Card [/b](NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 1.5GB - Single Card)
[b]Motherboard [/b]([CrossFire] ASUS M4A87TD EVO -- AMD 870 -- 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16)
[b]Power Supply [/b](1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)
[b]Hard Drive [/b](640 GB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s x2
[b]Optical Drive [/b]([8X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black)
[b]2nd Optical Drive [/b](24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)
[b]Flash Media Reader/Writer [/b](12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black)
[b]Sound Card [/b](3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
[b]Network Card [/b](Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
[b]Operating System [/b](Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and Vista 64 currently
I have just got this computer delivered as a customer build. It had a GTX480 and windows7 ultimate 64 on it. Since the beginning the only game i can get to run 100% is metro 2033 which runs flawlessly. Just about every other game I try though was either crashing or glitching out badly, artifacing, hangs, crashes, wierd texturing etc

I figured this was a driver issue and have tried on multiple occasions with latest and older drivers, current being 197.75

i have wiped, updated drivers multiple times, reformatted windows and updated again and again, no res

I also tried windows vista 64, reformatted, updated, using 197.75, same issues

also oddly i ran the NTune stability test and it failed and crashed during the first 1-2 minutes of testing, giving me a very generic and unhelpful message stateting:

"Too many errors occured, which indicates a serious problem from which we cannot recover. The application must close.

Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help"

So I know I have a "serious problem" but I wish I had a clue where it would be. All these components are new to me so it could be anything. Graphics card, drivers, motherboard, cpu, psu. I have no clue. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. If you are having the same or similar issues please reply as well.

Ok so here are the things that i have tried already:

*Windows7 64

*windows vista 64

*all combos of drivers

*reinstalling games

*over-clocking, under-clocking and system defaults

*monitored temps and they are not too hot

Here are my sytem specs:

Case (NZXT Alpha Gaming Case - Black)

Processor ([== Six Core ==] AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1090T Black Edition Six-Core CPU)

Processor Cooling (Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator (AMD))

Memory (8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - A-DATA Gaming Series)

Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 1.5GB - Single Card)

Motherboard ([CrossFire] ASUS M4A87TD EVO -- AMD 870 -- 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16)

Power Supply (1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)

Hard Drive (640 GB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s x2

Optical Drive ([8X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black)

2nd Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

Flash Media Reader/Writer (12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black)

Sound Card (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)

Network Card (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))

Operating System (Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and Vista 64 currently

Posted 06/10/2010 04:27 AM   
crashing.... BSOD?

always helpful to have the dump

there is a known issue with BSOD x00000116 dumps and windows 7 with ASUS ASACPI.sys
update Motherboard drivers

FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
is also what they recommend to use

some drivers conflict with Nvidia's driver in some cases causing a false message
realtek network drivers could be at fault.

microsoft suggest running without other drivers running (that don't need to run) to test
crashing.... BSOD?

there is a known issue with BSOD x00000116 dumps and windows 7 with ASUS ASACPI.sys

FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

some drivers conflict with Nvidia's driver in some cases causing a false message

microsoft suggest running without other drivers running (that don't need to run) to test

ImageImage

Join the NVidia Forum Team - Please Help Medical Research - Folding@home

Posted 06/10/2010 05:10 AM   
[quote name='Xavier Zepherios' post='1071137' date='Jun 10 2010, 01:10 AM']crashing.... BSOD?

microsoft suggest running without other drivers running (that don't need to run) to test[/quote]

Do you know any more about this known issue with ASUS drivers? I have a GTX 480 and an ASUS P6X58D-E mobo and I'm getting pixelation and crashing, so any further details would help. I have the latest drivers for both the nvidia card and the asus mobo, and nothing seems to help.
[quote name='Xavier Zepherios' post='1071137' date='Jun 10 2010, 01:10 AM']crashing.... BSOD?

Do you know any more about this known issue with ASUS drivers? I have a GTX 480 and an ASUS P6X58D-E mobo and I'm getting pixelation and crashing, so any further details would help. I have the latest drivers for both the nvidia card and the asus mobo, and nothing seems to help.

Posted 06/10/2010 05:34 AM   
here's a link
[url="http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-windows-7-support/435275-dxgkrnl-sys-bsod-windows-7-a.html"]http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...indows-7-a.html[/url]

it's just that a number of older drivers(not associated with displays) may conflict with NVidia drivers
adobe. for one (which would make sense with another users post)

I also found a link where ram replacement fixed this error

Microsoft suggests updating all your Motherboard drivers
just update your Motherboard drivers

if you are crashing then the Dump file would have the info of what caused the crash....most likely dxkrnl.sys

they also mentioned run Dxdiag... to make sure your running the latest Directx, and that it's not corrupt

if you are artifacting...run a stress test
more likely you have a bad card
here's a link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...indows-7-a.html

it's just that a number of older drivers(not associated with displays) may conflict with NVidia drivers

adobe. for one (which would make sense with another users post)

I also found a link where ram replacement fixed this error

Microsoft suggests updating all your Motherboard drivers

just update your Motherboard drivers

if you are crashing then the Dump file would have the info of what caused the crash....most likely dxkrnl.sys

they also mentioned run Dxdiag... to make sure your running the latest Directx, and that it's not corrupt

if you are artifacting...run a stress test

more likely you have a bad card

ImageImage

Posted 06/10/2010 06:10 AM   
Let me clarify, have not been getting BSOD, the "crash" i was referring to is where ill be playing a game usually get long hangs with the picture breaking up and it will shut down completely, sometimes with error sometimes just crash to desktop.

Im interested to find out if it is a driver issue with the realtek network or something else interfering. I will look for newer realtek drivers.

I will try Furmarks stress test because the one with NTune certainly did not work.

I reall hope this is not a bad card or hardware.. software I can fix, hardware means this whole comp needs to be sent back across the US for repairs that i cant gaurantee will be done right.

Some real good insight guys thanks, keep it coming, ill let you know if i solve this.
Let me clarify, have not been getting BSOD, the "crash" i was referring to is where ill be playing a game usually get long hangs with the picture breaking up and it will shut down completely, sometimes with error sometimes just crash to desktop.

Im interested to find out if it is a driver issue with the realtek network or something else interfering. I will look for newer realtek drivers.

I will try Furmarks stress test because the one with NTune certainly did not work.

I reall hope this is not a bad card or hardware.. software I can fix, hardware means this whole comp needs to be sent back across the US for repairs that i cant gaurantee will be done right.

Some real good insight guys thanks, keep it coming, ill let you know if i solve this.

Posted 06/11/2010 01:40 AM   
[size=3]Holy Crap Xavier, Ive tried for days to get this to work correctly and turns out it WAS the realtek networking drivers, I swear i had tried that but everything cleared right up afterwards!

Who would have thought the networking drivers would cause so much trouble... welll, you did. Thanks alot bro.[/size]
Holy Crap Xavier, Ive tried for days to get this to work correctly and turns out it WAS the realtek networking drivers, I swear i had tried that but everything cleared right up afterwards!

Who would have thought the networking drivers would cause so much trouble... welll, you did. Thanks alot bro.

Posted 06/11/2010 02:38 AM   
So, what actually worked- updating, rolling back or disabling them?
So, what actually worked- updating, rolling back or disabling them?

[indent]Image

[/indent]
Core i7 920@3850MHz_Corsair H-50 Water Cooler_EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1_1xEVGA GTX480 @825.1650.2000_3x2Gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20-1T

2x74Gb WD Raptor/RAID0-Windows7 _1x250Gb Seagate 7200.10_Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200w Modular PSU_Coolermaster Cosmos S

Vantage-22876, w/Physx-25636--3DMark06-24844

Posted 06/11/2010 04:11 AM   
Im just glad you got it workn....

did you wind up rolling back the realtek driver or is there a new realtek driver that solves it?
Nice to Know all that reading on TDR's and BSOD's is paying off a little

Now go and have some fun...And play your games
Im just glad you got it workn....

did you wind up rolling back the realtek driver or is there a new realtek driver that solves it?

Nice to Know all that reading on TDR's and BSOD's is paying off a little

Now go and have some fun...And play your games

ImageImage

Posted 06/11/2010 07:17 AM   
Latest realtek network driver from asus' support site for my board. the one that came on the cd aparently was the "bad" one.
Latest realtek network driver from asus' support site for my board. the one that came on the cd aparently was the "bad" one.

Posted 06/11/2010 08:46 AM   
Greetings,

I'm having the exact same issue... only difference is my motherboard. I'm using the Crosshair 4, not Crossfire. It's using the Marvell LAN, not Realtek.

I am in the middle of downloading the new drivers, but I don't think the issue would be the same since it is a known issue with only realtek that I have found... nothing yet mentioned about marvell.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have also been in contact with Asus to set up an RMA... been dealing with this for almost 2 months now.
Greetings,

I'm having the exact same issue... only difference is my motherboard. I'm using the Crosshair 4, not Crossfire. It's using the Marvell LAN, not Realtek.

I am in the middle of downloading the new drivers, but I don't think the issue would be the same since it is a known issue with only realtek that I have found... nothing yet mentioned about marvell.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have also been in contact with Asus to set up an RMA... been dealing with this for almost 2 months now.

Posted 08/03/2010 06:38 PM   
This forum section is closed. No new topics may be posted here, old ones can be replied to and moved into the active forum structure. To post a new thread about GeForce GPUs use the most appropriate GeForce Hardware forum. [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=197"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=197[/url]

Please do [b]NOT[/b] bump old topics unless you are the [b]original poster[/b] and still require assistance.

Lethoric, please make your own thread in GTX 400 series section.

EdgeCrusher420, if you still require assistance on this issue please PM me, and I will kick this thread over to the appropriate section (but it seems like you've got it licked!).

Amorphous

[quote name='Lethoric' post='1098425' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:38 AM']Greetings,

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have also been in contact with Asus to set up an RMA... been dealing with this for almost 2 months now.[/quote]
This forum section is closed. No new topics may be posted here, old ones can be replied to and moved into the active forum structure. To post a new thread about GeForce GPUs use the most appropriate GeForce Hardware forum. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=197

Please do NOT bump old topics unless you are the original poster and still require assistance.

EdgeCrusher420, if you still require assistance on this issue please PM me, and I will kick this thread over to the appropriate section (but it seems like you've got it licked!).

Amorphous

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 08/24/2010 07:30 AM   
This forum section is closed. No new topics may be posted here, old ones can be replied to and moved into the active forum structure. To post a new thread about GeForce GPUs use the most appropriate GeForce Hardware forum. [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=197"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=197[/url]

Please do [b]NOT[/b] bump old topics unless you are the [b]original poster[/b] and still require assistance.

Amorphous

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have also been in contact with Asus to set up an RMA... been dealing with this for almost 2 months now.[/quote]
This forum section is closed. No new topics may be posted here, old ones can be replied to and moved into the active forum structure. To post a new thread about GeForce GPUs use the most appropriate GeForce Hardware forum. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=197

Please do NOT bump old topics unless you are the original poster and still require assistance.

Amorphous

Advanced Moderator Operations and Recursive Posting Hermetic/Omnigenous User-Simulating AI

Overclocking Hall of Fame - Post your 3DMark scores today!

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate

the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members.

Posted 08/24/2010 07:30 AM   
Scroll To Top